Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What the!?

Page: 1 of 1
 IG-64
03-06-2004, 7:47 PM
My dad got a picture scanner for christmas and we just recently installed it. With the first picture I commented on the quality saying he had a very nice scanner...

Now I know just how right I was. This morning I scanned a piece of paper and decided to play around with the settings, I tured resolution to all the way high and scanned it out....
my reaction: :drop2:
To give you a little example, I scanned out a dime:
Here are the grooves on the edges of the dime (http://www.imageshack.us/files1/Grooves.JPG)
And here is the tiny P that appears over the date (http://www.imageshack.us/files1/P1.JPG)
 •-BLaCKouT-•
03-06-2004, 7:53 PM
Well, um... that's what... scanners do... :eyeraise:

Uh-huh.

What's the max-res out of interest?

B.
 IG-64
03-06-2004, 7:55 PM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
Well, um... that's what... scanners do... :eyeraise:

Uh-huh.

What's the max-res out of interest?

B.

I must've missed something then...

[EDIT] Here is the actual size dime: http://www.imageshack.us/files1/Dime.JPG)
 IG-64
03-06-2004, 8:33 PM
Wow, it even has a font reader for typed text, I scanned up the second page of dracula, read it perfectly:
Dracula

Transylvania; it had struck me that some foreknowledge of the country could hardly fail to have some importance in dealing with a noble of that country. I find that the district he named is in the extreme east of the country, just on the borders of three states, Transylvania, Moldavia, and Bukovina, in the midst of the Carpathian mountains; one of the wildest and least known portions of Europe. I was not able to light on any map or work giving the exact locality of the Castle Dracula, as there are no maps of this country as yet to compare with our own Ordnance Survey maps; but I found Bistritz, the post town named by Count Dracula, is a fairly well-known place. I shall enter here some of my notes, as they may refresh my memory when I talk over my travels with Mina.
In the population of Transylvania there are four distinct nationalities: Saxons in the south, and mixed with them the Wallachs, who are the descendants of the Dacians; Magyars in the west, and Szekelys in the east and north. I am going among the latter, who claimed to be descended from Attila and the Huns. This may be so, for when the Magyars conquered the country in the eleventh century they found the Huns settled in it. I read that every known superstition in the world is gathered into the horseshoe of the Carpathians, as if it were the centre of some sort of imaginative whirlpool; if so my stay may be very interesting. (Mem., I must ask the Count all about them.)
I did not sleep well, though my bed was comfortable enough, for I had all sorts of queer dreams. There was a dog howling all night under my window, which may have had something to do with it; or it may have been the paprika, for I had to drink up all the water in my carafe, and was still thirsty. Towards morning I slept and was wakened by the continuous knocking at my door, so I guess I must have been sleeping soundly then. I had for breakfast more paprika, and a sort of porridge of maize flour which they said was "mamaliga," and egg-plant stuffed with forcemeat, a very excellent dish, which they call "impletata." (Mem., get recipe for this also.) I had to hurry breakfast, for the train started a little before eight, or rather it ought to have done so, for after rushing to the station at 7.30 I had to sit in the carriage for more than an hour before we began to move. It seems to me that the further East you get the more unpunctual are the trains. What ought they to be in China?
All day long we seem to dawdle through a country which was full of beauty of every kind. Sometimes we saw little towns or castles on the top of steep hills such as we see in old missals; sometimes we ran by rivers and streams which seemed from the wide stony margin on each side of them to be subject to great floods. It takes a lot of water, and running strong, to sweep the outside edge of a river clear. At every station there were groups of people, sometimes crowds, and in all sorts of attire. Some of them were just like the peasants at home or those I saw coming through France and Germany, with short jackets and round hats and home-made trousers; but others were very picturesque. The women looked pretty, except when you got near them, but they were very clumsy about the waist. They had all full white sleeves of some kind or other, and most of them had big belts with a lot of strips of something

Now I can scan up any text from any book, nice.
 Handorin
03-06-2004, 8:38 PM
just read the book;)
 IG-64
03-06-2004, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by Handorin
just read the book;)

I am reading it, it is a very good book, I just thought it cool that I could scan up whatever text I wanted.
 Pie™
03-06-2004, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Now I can scan up any text from any book, nice. What would be the point of doing that? :confused:
 Handorin
03-06-2004, 8:56 PM
rly thats wut im sayn
 IG-64
03-06-2004, 9:11 PM
I just thought it was neat, ok...
 ZBomber
03-06-2004, 9:18 PM
I thoguht all scanners did that........
 Pie™
03-06-2004, 9:21 PM
I just thought it was neat, ok... I see how it could be usefull for school reports and stuff.... :)
But not for books :p
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
03-06-2004, 9:28 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
What would be the point of doing that? :confused:

Maybe, so he can remember it better for a test or somtin.

thumbs up to you IG
 Mike Windu
03-06-2004, 9:42 PM
*clap clap* good on ya IG... you big nosed avatar!
 ET Warrior
03-06-2004, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by Handorin
rly thats wut im sayn

*hands Handorin a dictionary*

That's just in case you ever wonder how to spell out the full word, you can look it up, and then we all can read what you're trying to say!!! :D :D :D
 MennoniteHobbit
03-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Well, you could scan texts, use an OCR engine, and create e-books...

but that's just a thought

cool scanner IG
 TheHobGoblin
03-07-2004, 12:17 AM
I love you...

Cmon post the jesus picture... cmon.

But I'm gonna check if my scanner still works.... I had it for a while, it was pretty good
 Anthony
03-07-2004, 1:37 AM
Heh, yeah, my scanner isn't bad either. Its a canon canoscan LiDE 20. It came with some software which can turn it into a PDF file. very useful. Also, it can scan up to 600dpi (Don't know if thats good or not) Its fairly fast, and the good part is that it draws power from the USB port, so I don't have to plug it in. Thank god, I add another powerbar to my room, the whole house will short out. (really poorly wired house, like, If I turn the downstairs computer on, the lights in the room flicker a bit)
 Rogue15
03-07-2004, 1:42 AM
whoa, that's pretty cool. i need to get a scanner someday....
 RoxStar
03-07-2004, 1:43 AM
ummm...cool. But you could just blow up the picture of the time on paint shop.
http://www.imageshack.us/files1/P1.JPG)
 IG-64
03-07-2004, 1:43 AM
Originally posted by Egg Destroyer
Heh, yeah, my scanner isn't bad either. Its a canon canoscan LiDE 20. It came with some software which can turn it into a PDF file. very useful. Also, it can scan up to 600dpi (Don't know if thats good or not) Its fairly fast, and the good part is that it draws power from the USB port, so I don't have to plug it in. Thank god, I add another powerbar to my room, the whole house will short out. (really poorly wired house, like, If I turn the downstairs computer on, the lights in the room flicker a bit)

our's maximum dpi is 12800dpi, and I think it's a USB.
 Anthony
03-07-2004, 1:54 AM
Do you mean 1280? becuase if its 12,800....:eek: Thats the best scanner ever. : P

Yeah, so I guess mines okay, but what the hell, I think it works fine, and I only spent 40 bucks on it (sale)
 Acrylic
03-07-2004, 2:59 AM
our's maximum dpi is 12800dpi, and I think it's a USB.

It must be 1280....

I have a 1280dpi One too. great thing it is.
 Astrotoy7
03-07-2004, 5:56 AM
cool. IGs got a scanner ! I'll only really be impressed if you can scan some 100 dollar bills and print them out perfecto, then head down to your local EB games and by a PS2, a GC, and an XB and then donate them to charity. When you get caught, you might be tried for a federal offense but it will all be worth it....right !??

MTFBWYA
 Alegis
03-07-2004, 6:21 AM
The resolution is really nice, but the font reader struck me..That's an awesome feature!
 SkinWalker
03-07-2004, 5:10 PM
This reminds me that I need to fix my scanner... I have one that will scan negatives and slides, but a bookend fell off my desk and cracked the glass :(

I've so many slides to scan too...... but here's one I've done.
 IG-64
03-07-2004, 6:44 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
This reminds me that I need to fix my scanner... I have one that will scan negatives and slides, but a bookend fell off my desk and cracked the glass :(

I've so many slides to scan too...... but here's one I've done.

Ours scans negatives and slides too, i scanned out a negative, turned out nicely
 manoman81
03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah the OCR stuff is a great thing. At work, I used it to get stuff of paper to disk. It was helpful in getting everything to an electronic format.
 DarkLord60
03-08-2004, 1:59 PM
ahh arnt scanners awesome. :D
 STTCT
03-09-2004, 4:50 AM
Now start scanning some bills and we'd be well on our way to some great video games! ;)
 Boba Rhett
03-10-2004, 5:57 AM
Ya know, IG-64, I hear that if you scan your social security card you can see some cool inlayed hidden designs on the card once you blow it up! Go ahead and try it and post the results.

Oh and the same goes for blank checks. Try that too and don't forget to post those results for us to see! You mayhave to scan several different new ones to get it to work right. good luck! :thumbsup:
 IG-64
03-10-2004, 7:35 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Ya know, IG-64, I hear that if you scan your social security card you can see some cool inlayed hidden designs on the card once you blow it up! Go ahead and try it and post the results.

Oh and the same goes for blank checks. Try that too and don't forget to post those results for us to see! You mayhave to scan several different new ones to get it to work right. good luck! :thumbsup:

Will that ruin them though? I read all the little notes and alot of stuff happens when you scan up a check or something.
 Astrotoy7
03-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett

hey, I bet if I had said that I would've gotten in more trouble than a tribble...... ! yeah, c'mon IG, bugger scanning Dracula, we all know what happens next, scan some $$$ man !!!!!!!!

MTFBWYA
Page: 1 of 1