Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Decompiling?

Page: 1 of 1
 Usurpo
03-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Yea. How do you decompile a map? Now, before you all jump at me and demand my head on a pike, let me tell you why it is that I want to know this.

As you may or may not know, Hydroball was released at jk2files.com . The map is..well...come to your own opinions. I want to try making my own, to see if I can't improve on it. But he uses specialized traggers and stuff...and I need to see it being used before I can duplicate. So please, will some kind soul tell me how to decompile?
 Lil Killa
03-04-2004, 3:38 AM
Just email the guy who did this (http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=24105)
 rgoer
03-04-2004, 5:33 AM
update your Q3Map2 (http://shaderlab.com) (it's a good time to do that anyway, 2.5.13 was officially released (http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=7095) today)

put this into a .bat file:

"C:\path\to\q3map2.exe" -convert -format map -v -fs_basepath "C:\path\to\Gamedata" "C:\path\to\map.bsp"you'll end up with map_c.map in your maps folder.
 WadeV1589
03-04-2004, 10:50 AM
lol I just replied to a PM by him before I saw this, ugh. Ah well rgoer said the same I did, just not in as many words.

Oh and the bat file I gave you with the %1 in it allows for the drag-drop decompiling :)
 Lindsey
03-04-2004, 5:09 PM
if you have q3map2, type this command into the run command under the start menu-

"C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\q3map\q3map2.exe" -convert -format map -game jk2 mymap.bsp"

Replace the file path info with the correct info on your system.
 N3G1@
03-07-2004, 2:32 PM
Shouldn't you write THIS slash...

/

indeed of this....

\

:confused:

I always use the first one...:eek:
 JeeMonkey
03-08-2004, 6:43 AM
i think you wil find most mappers ok with u copying their ideas for use in your own maps, but nearly ALL mappers do not approve of ANYONE directly copying from their map. and neither do i. so best of luck to ya. if u got a problem with triggers just ask it, dont try copying directly from another map.:ewok:
 N3G1@
03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Ever thought that probably he just wants a piece of a JK2\JA map? Ever thought that he probably wants to understand\see a complete good map with triggers, lights, various entities?
 |GG|Carl
06-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
Just email the guy who did this (http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=24105)
It's not as easy as you think, because Rich Whitehouses e-mail adress is gone!
I've looked for it, but i really can't find it!

(I have to ask him if I may use his hydroball water shader)
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-16-2004, 9:53 AM
Sry, for reputing this thread, but I tried to decompile a test map with this:

"C:\Programme\Mapping\Q3Map2\q3map_2.5.15_win32_x86 \q3map2.exe" -convert -format map -v -fs_basepath "C:\Programme\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData" "C:\Programme\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Base\maps\map.bsp"

Ok, everything's fine in the little room, so I tried to decompile one of my map, which is little too (*.bps=2mb). Ok, everything fine again *g*
So I took a bigger map (The *.bps=12mb) it started the prcess, everything ok, but when I wanted to open it, my radi was frozen :/ And always, when I want to decompile some big maps, it's frozen, I only can decompile littel maps :/
 shukrallah
07-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Yup, decompiling maps is no where near perfect, most of the time, complicated brushes get deformed, several brushes duplicate (run brush clean up) and textures are unfitted. This is a good thing, it stops people from copying :) ermmm.. most of the time.

Try a different method of decompiling and see if it works ;)
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-16-2004, 10:39 AM
I don't want to put things form an other map in my map, but I want to see a really professioanl map...and it works in little maps, but when I decompile a bigger one, I cant open it in my radi :/
 shukrallah
07-16-2004, 10:48 AM
hmmm.. what happens? it starts to load... then what, look at the little console window at the bottom and see if there are any errors. Remember a map that is 12 MBs is a big map, it would take a while to load.
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-16-2004, 10:58 AM
No ;)
okay, I have the bsp (12mb) but after decompile it's 6mb!
When I take the little one:
bsp=2mb and the map file 200kb and I can open it. But the bigger one map file (6mb) I can't open....and I think it's strange, that the bsp (of the big one) is 12mb and the map file 6mb(!!!)
 shukrallah
07-16-2004, 5:06 PM
well, I decompiled t2_rogue, which was 12 Mbs, and the MAP was 3.6 MBs. There are some maps that cant be decompiled... Ive tried to decompiled academy1 (the first level) and that map wont run. Try a map like t2_dpred, or t2_rogue, I know they decompile. T2_rogue had a bunch of errors and took a while to load though...
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-17-2004, 8:45 AM
Okay, thnaks you very much! :) It works =) But why does some maps doesnt decompile correct?
And why aren't there any misc_models and lights? O_o
 WadeV1589
07-18-2004, 2:15 PM
msic_models' are converted to brushes most of the time because of the -meta command in compiling so the misc_model data is removed.

Light entities are never ever put into the BSP, they're used for compiling and that's it. They used to be in the BSP but it was totally inefficient and added to the entity count.
 LordP
07-20-2004, 1:21 AM
Back in the JO days everyone though decompiling was a myth. 8-0
 WadeV1589
07-22-2004, 1:51 PM
Until Ydnar actually added as much support as is possible, it was.
 Codja X
07-22-2004, 2:01 PM
I find decompiling maps to be pretty useless - most of the entities come back screwed, you can't really see how everything is scripted and the map usually comes back so full of errors that it takes hours just to work out what should be there and what shouldn't.

I'm fairly sure that the latest version of radiant or the SDK comes with some sample maps for you to look at (should be in your maps directory), and these maps are straight from Raven, so check them out instead.
 shukrallah
07-22-2004, 4:01 PM
Back in JK2 the cairn and kejim sample maps helped me learn to script.. but they were not decompiled. Occasionally I learn some random things in JKA decompiled maps, like umm... well, I know I learned something from the t2_dpred map, but I cant remember what it was...
Page: 1 of 1