Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The spaceballs

Page: 1 of 1
 Black Knight of Keno
03-01-2004, 1:07 PM
Yeah, the classic parody of Star wars, Spaceballs!
Have you seen it? How ya like it?
I thought it was hilarious. Helmet was the funniest with his allways dropping mask :p
 Sivy
03-01-2004, 1:53 PM
yar, spaceballs is great.

http://www.danger-seekers.com/classicreviews/images/spaceballs2.jpg)

pizza the hutt!

lol
 DarkLord60
03-01-2004, 1:54 PM
That movie is old but its a classic.
 Darth Slayne
03-01-2004, 2:54 PM
I like that scene where Helmet accidently chops one of the film crew and the battle pauses long enough for him to say "Uh, he did it!"
 Black Knight of Keno
03-01-2004, 3:32 PM
Yeah, that was just hilarious. And then there was the first wedding part. "We are gathered here to withness princess Valena... running next to the altar and down the ramp" or something like that.
What about the ending. "Oh my, what are those thing coming from her nose?" "Spaceballs..." "Oh sh**, there goes the planet..."

Yes, I watched the movie five minutes ago. So what? :D
 txa1265
03-01-2004, 3:54 PM
Did any of you see this in theaters?

It came out in '87, and by then Star Wars was 10 years old, and this was very clear that Mel Brooks had lost it. I remember watching it on endless cable runs on HBO/Cinemax during my senior year of college.

It isn't bad, but it had been hoped to to restore his heyday - which it didn't. It is nice you can watch it with fresh perspective and get some laughs.

Mike
 -=DarkZero=-
03-01-2004, 4:42 PM
Lmao, Space Balls owns. "Comb the desert!", "Combing the Desert sir", and they have a bunch of combs, xD. Ah, it's all great.
 the_raven_03
03-01-2004, 6:13 PM
I have never seen it. But I need to.
 Astrotoy7
03-01-2004, 6:40 PM
IIRC there were some funny scenes with that guy who makes the cool sound effects, Michael Winslow(from Police Academy). I also think that perhaps that movie was Bill Pullman's first gig(or one of his first major roles in a film...) John Candy was 'Barf' right, the parody of chewie ? I noticed it had been released on DVD, are there any notable special features ? (If anyone has/saw the dvd version)

MTFBWYA
 TheHobGoblin
03-01-2004, 6:58 PM
I'm your father's sister's cousin's former room mate.
And that makes us?
Absolutly nothing, which you will be after I'm done with you!
 obi
03-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Yea, It's pretty funny, but if you want to see Mel Brooks' best fime EVER, watch Blazing Saddles (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800037921) . It's by far THE funniest Mel Brooks film
 topshot
03-02-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
IIRC there were some funny scenes with that guy who makes the cool sound effects, Michael Winslow(from Police Academy). I also think that perhaps that movie was Bill Pullman's first gig(or one of his first major roles in a film...) John Candy was 'Barf' right, the parody of chewie ? I noticed it had been released on DVD, are there any notable special features ? (If anyone has/saw the dvd version)

MTFBWYA

If my memory serves me right, there's a funny quote Helmet says in the Language selection screen, though I'm not saying what it has to deal with.

There's a "Making of....." clip in the extras, and again, if memory serves me right, audio commentary.

"Spaceballs......they've gone plaid!"
 ET Warrior
03-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Yea, It's pretty funny, but if you want to see Mel Brooks' best fime EVER, watch Blazing Saddles (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800037921) . It's by far THE funniest Mel Brooks film

Actually.......I'd say Robin hood men in tights is his best ever, but that's just me.
 Kain
03-02-2004, 1:18 AM
Originally posted by obi-wan13

OH MY GOD SO TRUE!!

We would like to welcome you, our new...nig***.

So many racist jokes, but they make em in a way thats SOOO funny.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights was funny too, but Blazing Saddles was just...just...HA!!

Stick out your hands, push out your tush, hands on your hips, give em a push!
 the_raven_03
03-02-2004, 1:43 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Actually.......I'd say Robin hood men in tights is his best ever, but that's just me.

I don't think that I have seen all of that movie. Man, I suck.
 IG-64
03-02-2004, 3:11 AM
I've never got myself to see Spaceballs, although I have seen men in tights.
 ET Warrior
03-02-2004, 3:18 AM
Originally posted by the_raven_03
I don't think that I have seen all of that movie. Man, I suck.

Yeah, you really do.:p
 Crow_Nest
03-02-2004, 4:22 AM
Ah classics, when i watched this show i was like :rofl: all the time
 Seph
03-02-2004, 6:13 AM
remember when they're in the desert

Helm: Let's get out of here
Sanders: Preparing to go sir
Helm: why are you always preparing??? JUST GO!
Sanders: Preparing to just go
 txa1265
03-02-2004, 9:18 AM
What's the matter Colonel Sanders ... Chicken?

Bad puns abound ...

Mike
 Black Knight of Keno
03-02-2004, 4:04 PM
Some quotes from here (http://www.sciflicks.com/spaceballs/quotes.html)

Colonel Sandurz: It's Mega-Maid! She's gone from suck to blow!

Minister: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness Princess Vespa, daughter of King Roland going right past the altar, heading down the ramp and out the door!

Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Starr.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.

[Watching "Spaceballs: The Movie". They reach "now" in the movie.]
Dark Helmet: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?
Colonel Sandurz: You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happened to then?
Colonel Sandurz: We passed then.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now. We're at now now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then.
Colonel Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now!
Colonel Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now!
Colonel Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Colonel Sandurz: Soon.

[nurse exits]
Dark Helmet: I bet she gives great helmet.

Dark Helmet: WHAT? You went over my helmet?

Lone Starr: So, Lord Helmet, at last we meet again for the first time for the last time.
 txa1265
03-02-2004, 4:56 PM
See - as much as I like Spaceballs, I can't help reliving it to an extent.

By the time Spaceballs had come out, we were nearly 5 years past Police Squad (*definitely* one of my all-time fave TV shows), 7 years past Aitplane, and a few years past Top Secret.

Most of these jokes just felt old and had been done better elsewhere - even Top Secret was a better movie than Spaceballs.

All Spaceballs had going for me was my love of Star Wars. Sure, Mel Brooks has a different flair than the Abrahams brothers, but ... well ...

Mike
 Feanaro
03-02-2004, 8:09 PM
We've been jammed sir. It's rasberry.
I hate Rasberry!
it's a great movie!
 Pie™
03-02-2004, 8:51 PM
Watched it like 4 years ago...
It was hilarious! :D
That reminds me that i have to watch it again soon:)
Page: 1 of 1