Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PS2 fans....are you going to get one of these....

Page: 1 of 1
 Astrotoy7
02-23-2004, 10:12 AM
I am hearing more and more about the HDD for the ps2, an amazing 40gb, as compared to the XBoxs 8gb(*giggles*)

The Final Fantasy XI package(pictured) looks just droolworthy to a Final Fantasy fan like me, but I was just wondering if anyone knows a bit more about the HDD and what sony's plans are for it..... ???

http://www.myimgs.com/data/astrotoy7/FFXIHDD.jpg)

MTFBWYA
*runs off, starts saving pennies*
 Crow_Nest
02-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Wow thats cool! :cool:

Astro, you must be a big FF fan :p
 BCanr2d2
02-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but who wants to go and fit their own hard disk drive, as well as modem, and everything else inside the PoS2???

C'mon, at least it's already inside the XBOX

Oh, and 40GB means BAD programming to use that on a console....
 ExcelsioN
02-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I doubt I'd get this, I'm mostly a PC gamer even though I have a PS2.

In other news...the 'Phantom' console is all a hoax! Hence the name 'Phantom'.
 Kain
02-23-2004, 2:05 PM
I just want one for the last Smackdown game. Custom entrance music! Yea!
 ET Warrior
02-23-2004, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
I am hearing more and more about the HDD for the ps2, an amazing 40gb, as compared to the XBoxs 8gb(*giggles*)

Yeah, but you have to pay extra and install it yourself.....

*giggles*
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
02-23-2004, 2:42 PM
One word, HELL NO. ;)

Sorry though, I'm not into Final Fantacy. I do however like Max Payne, Killswitch, GTA, etc. Those are some grade A games
 Kain
02-23-2004, 4:13 PM
Troopr, be happy to know that the next GTA will have HD compatability so you can have your own music, just like GTA on XBox.

Oh, FFXI can blow me.
 Lindsey
02-23-2004, 5:13 PM
eh, ever since I got my twin gaming PCs, the PS2 has become a has-been for me. I might get it, but only if its low enough in price. I'm saving up my dough for a PSP (playstation portable)
 Astrotoy7
02-23-2004, 6:02 PM
you will have to excuse my exuberance, but I am hardly likely to rush off and buy the HDD on the merit of this one game... that's why I was asking about it.... FFXI is of course already available on the PC and my pc is quite capable of running it at quite a hi level....

so thats what im trying to find out more about, what games are planned to be utilising the HDD(apart from the ones mentioned) as otherwise having 40gb to play your favourite tracks to Gran Tourismo seems like overkill :p I do know the "PSX" in japan does have a recordable dvd drive in it, so you can record data and tv shows(like you would a vcr), but I cant see that being extended to the standard ps2 most ppl have at home....

Nonetheless, I still like *giggling* at the xbox, "The green, good for nothin' but Halo machine".... :p ...kiddin...all you xbox kids, calm down... :)

MTFBWYA
 Astrotoy7
02-23-2004, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Wow thats cool! :cool:

Astro, you must be a big FF fan :p

Crow, your powers of observation and deduction are amazing... you should be a detective, nothing gets past you Crowski ! :p

MTFBWYA
 ET Warrior
02-23-2004, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Nonetheless, I still like *giggling* at the xbox, "The green, good for nothin' but Halo machine".... :p ...kiddin...all you xbox kids, calm down... :)

Blasphemer!

It's obviously good for Halo 2......sheez....

:p:p
 DarkLord60
02-23-2004, 6:59 PM
I am not a big fan of ps2 but ill probably get one
 TiE23
02-23-2004, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by Kain
Oh, FFXI can blow me.
Ditto

BTW: You will never take up all of the room in the Xbox HD, unless you put half of your cd collection on your Xbox :D

Xbox with Xbox Live: $250 ----$180+$70=$250

PS2 with that modem thingy on the back and hard drive that will only be used on FFXI: $300 ? ----$200+$100?=$300?
and you also get crappy graphics, no voice chat (You need more stuff), bad frame rates, and a max of only 2 controllers (a few games have 4 players, but u need to buy even more!) And i do use 4 player on my Xbox!

So u have to pay like $360 [EDIT: Plus $30 for save cards, so its like $410!!!!!] for a piece of crap that is as good as a Xbox, aaaannnndddd! Its the AMERICAN CONSOLE :usa:

TiE
 Domo-Kun
02-23-2004, 8:11 PM
The HDD for ps2 is going to be used for a ton of new games, besides with online ps2, no fee, so beat that!

PC > all
 topshot
02-23-2004, 8:26 PM
I would if I could, but no dice. I'm more likely to get Chrystal Chronicles. Yep, that'd be me. A lowly GC owner. :(

*Takes out his buster sword and goes Enix hunting in order to "persuade" them to come out with a FFX for Gamecube.* :evil2:
 RoxStar
02-23-2004, 9:08 PM
I'm waiting for the PSX.
 Mike Windu
02-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Don't buy FF CC, it sucks I heard... single player and multiplayer, story isnt too good, action VERY repetitive(worse than those turn based) :)

KINGDOM HEARTS RULES ALL! THANK YOU SQUARE!
 topshot
02-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Don't buy FF CC, it sucks I heard... single player and multiplayer, story isnt too good, action VERY repetitive(worse than those turn based) :)

KINGDOM HEARTS RULES ALL! THANK YOU SQUARE!

Yeah, you need a GBA or 2 (3,4......) for multiplayer. *Takes out the bad-ass ultima and oblivion keyblades, as well as Squall's gunblade, and then hunts some more......*

Maybe I should wait for KH2: Chain of Memories to come out on GBA.
 Mike Windu
02-23-2004, 11:05 PM
personally... i think nintendo is crazy... we need ONLINE not "connectivity". This is one of nintendo's fatal mistakes... and a ruin to the final fantasy CC game... of course... its bad anyway... but that gba crap wont help at all...

oh... and KH2 is for the ps2... chain of memories is for the GBA. chain of memories takes place directly AFTER the events of Kingdom Hearts and is not a full fledged sequel... but if you dont play the GBA game and buy KH2, you're going to miss out on half the plot... which is going to blow... badly...

On another note: Final Fantasy Advent Children is probably coming out this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Astrotoy7
02-24-2004, 5:51 AM
Originally posted by Tie 23
Its the AMERICAN CONSOLE :usa:
TiE

great ! lets rush and buy it ! :(

I havent got an XB, but perhaps you can do this, go check the back and see where it was made..... me doubts it was made in the US...... dont forget you are making that damn fool Bill Gates richer by the second, reason enough for me to boycott the 'snot console' forever, running xp is slavery enough thanx.....

MTFBWYA
 BCanr2d2
02-24-2004, 10:13 AM
And you'd prefer to support Sony????

For having online ability, but not caring for the quality of it??

For sucking up to EA, so that they can remove their online playability of older titles, to force an upgrade???

The PS2 has a 18 month head start and a good name from the PSX, MS is ripped to shreds from nobodies who thinks it's cool to bag the company that provides a 95% share of the OS market.
 Astrotoy7
02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
And you'd prefer to support Sony????

yes, I would... if it wasnt for Sony's exclusive partnership with Squaresoft the revolutionary(and much beloved to myself and many others) Final Fantasy titles FF7-10,12 simply wouldnt exist. At the end of the day, the console I decided to buy was based on its usefulness to *me*, not how big, how fast or how sleek it is....

therefore I chose the ps2 :
*backwards compatibe for ps1 games I love like Final Fantasy, Chrono trigger etc
(*Doubles as a dvd player), of course
*no new annoying controller to learn

I have recently acquired a very cheap GC second hand - for
*Rogue Squadron II and III
*Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
*Play my GBA games on the TV !
*Younger members of my family have some games they want to play on it too !

I have a decent gaming pc of course, and thus have never felt the need to have an XB, the exclusive games it has usually are ported to the pc as well, most imprtantly KOTOR ! :D Not a Halo person BTW.....

MTFBWYA
 Tyrion
02-24-2004, 1:24 PM
Meh..for PC's they should do the same. Everyone could use that extra 40gigs.:p
 XERXES
02-24-2004, 2:51 PM
hmm, why would I want that?

my PS2 seems to be working fine, I dont see the advantage of one coming with a whote box over a blue one oooOOOoOooo...

Hmm final fantasy, I lost faith in the series after I tried to play 9.

Oh a HDD?

hmm, my PS2 seems to be working better than ever without it. :giveup: no need for it.

And btw, Sony is one of the most bad-ass electronic companies around. The flat screenie TVs are hands down the best. Got a itsy bitsy one here at school :D and two huge ones at home :D Only negative thing I can see about Sony off the top of my head is their car speakers and cd players, those xiploid things or whatever, arent that great. I would perfer JBL over them. Sony discmans > * or wait we're in the MP3 phase now... Sony MP3 player > * and my Sony tower speakers for my home stereo system are damn nice (JBL are better, as soon as I get 800 more dollars I'll upgrade). Oh yeh, cant forget the good ol PS2.

down below: holy triple post batman!
 -=DarkZero=-
02-24-2004, 8:49 PM
I for one, can't wait till it comes out, because, when it does(Unless it already is, therefor when I get it) I can start making mods and Etc. for SOCOM II, which uses it.

It's supposed to serve as a Hard Drive, as like, everyone already knows, for storing data, for getting new missions for whatever the games are that have been listed, new weapons, new characters, and things like that.

For socom, they're releasing patches, which actually has been discussed of, instead of making number 3, they just keep expanding it with the use of the HDD.
 -=DarkZero=-
02-24-2004, 9:00 PM
I for one, can't wait till it comes out, because, when it does(Unless it already is, therefor when I get it) I can start making mods and Etc. for SOCOM II, which uses it.

It's supposed to serve as a Hard Drive, as like, everyone already knows, for storing data, for getting new missions for whatever the games are that have been listed, new weapons, new characters, and things like that.

For socom, they're releasing patches, which actually has been discussed of, instead of making number 3, they just keep expanding it with the use of the HDD.
 -=DarkZero=-
02-24-2004, 9:08 PM

TiE23
02-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Exodus Snake

Okay, so then buy the Hard Drive, if you have the money, then fine.... but there are hundreds of thousands of kids like me that the last thing that they would do is spent a $100+ for a upgrade to there PS2.... and all of the experiences that I had with the PS2 (My friend on the street had it and i got to borrow it twice, and it sucked when my friends couldn't play with me, and when i couldn't play with my friends because there was only 2 controllers)

BTW, i have no beef on Sony (My whole entertainment system is sony "TV, VCR, DVD player, 5 disc cd player, control center, and a casset player" and there all awsome and new)

and Nintendo: Japan PS2: Japan Xbox: USA BABY! :usa:

TiE
 ET Warrior
02-25-2004, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by Tie 23
Xbox: USA BABY! :usa:

Ummmm.....yeah....I never base what I buy off of what country made it....I'm more interested in quality of product. I find Xbox to have what I want (Halo, Morrowind) and that's what I have.
 Feanaro
02-25-2004, 3:00 AM
I think final fantasy is pretty cool. But i'm not that huge of a fan to buy something extra just to be able to play it. Kind of like Steel batallion. That game cost like $200! I'd never pay that much.
 Mex
02-25-2004, 10:16 AM
Wow! It's a PS2 spray painted and a hard drive stuffed in it.

AMAZING...
 Astrotoy7
02-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Ummmm.....yeah....I never base what I buy off of what country made it....I'm more interested in quality of product. I find Xbox to have what I want (Halo, Morrowind) and that's what I have.

cant you play these on PC ?? I for one have the elder scrolls III collectors edn thingy sitting around somewhere, no time to play it yet :(

yeah, basically, apart from FFXI , I'll need to feel theres alot for the HDD to be something i'd buy, otherwise i'd just play ffxi on the pc.....

MTFBWYA
Page: 1 of 1