Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Seriouse Fps Trouble

Page: 1 of 1
 JeeMonkey
02-19-2004, 7:16 PM
hey all, im about half way done with my map when i go to test it (not for the first time) and i notice that my FPS (frames per second) are between 70-90 and thats a lot considering i was testing my map be myself and i have a cable modem. how do i lower the FPS rate in my map? LEAVE NO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS OUT. GIMME ALL THE ADVICE U HAVE!
 Torchy
02-19-2004, 8:13 PM
why on earth do you want to lower the fps? :D try "com_maxfps" in the console

you should be grateful of such high framerates :p
 monsoontide
02-19-2004, 10:39 PM
High FPS = Good :D
Low FPS = Bad :mad:
 lauser
02-20-2004, 4:49 AM
LOL!! The human eye can percieve motion at roughly 30 frames per second. Any lower and it's eye strain.
 WadeV1589
02-20-2004, 11:08 AM
However in gaming, FPS does count, if you play at 40FPS then play at 80FPS you'll notice a lot more fluidity to the game; game physics rely on FPS too, or should I say the physics will be best for you at certain FPS and 85 and 140 I think are two of the best....so FPS matters in mapping!
 Darksaber_SMC
02-20-2004, 1:05 PM
Whats the command so I can see what FPS my map is running at? I've seen it in screenies in the top right corner :D

--Darksaber :atat:
 WadeV1589
02-20-2004, 1:43 PM
cg_drawfps 1
 Darksaber_SMC
02-20-2004, 2:58 PM
Holy crap! :eek: my map is running at 20-30 Fps... any way to higher it? :o

lauser
02-20-2004, 3:08 PM
LOL..well that all depends what's in the map and how it's laid out. The first thing you should do is check and see how much of your map is DETAIL and how much is STRUCTURAL.

EDIT: Wade man how come you don't have your other (highly rated) SG map in your sig?:p
 |GG|Carl
02-20-2004, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by lauser
LOL!! The human eye can percieve motion at roughly 30 frames per second.
Actually, it's 24 fps ;)
 vas_zag
02-21-2004, 1:02 AM
cant you use hint brushes to increase the fps?
im kinda sure i know how they work im just not sure where to place them.....
 Darksaber_SMC
02-21-2004, 11:41 AM
omg! I forgot to make detail brushes :eek: :o :o

ahhh!

I'll do it now ;)

codja
02-21-2004, 12:06 PM
[off topic]

Are you Darksaber from XWAlliance Upgrade?

If so, cool, if not, then cool anyway.

[on topic]

Are you caulking all the non-visible sides of your brushes? This helps the engine draw less polygons.

Also, I thought detail brushes helped the compiler run quicker, but at the trade off of having a lower FPS
 GothiX
02-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by codja
Also, I thought detail brushes helped the compiler run quicker, but at the trade off of having a lower FPS
Only if you don't know how to use them properly.
 codja
02-21-2004, 12:33 PM
If they're used carefully they should be okay, but as VIS doesn't take them into account when compiling, the engine can see straight through them, but you know that already.

I personally prefer to make as many brushes structural as possible - I don't mind the wait for the VIS and LIGHT stages of the compile to complete.

What can I say? - I like my shadows and my FPS!
 GothiX
02-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Making everything structural can cause strange happenings in your VIS, therefore lowering FPS. Also, it may cause errors. If you use detail brushes, you actually have control over your VIS process. As well, lighting isn't affected by detail/structural brushes.
 codja
02-21-2004, 2:07 PM
Detail brushes don't cast shadows as they are not included in VIS process, so the LIGHT stage just passes the light through the brush - that's what I meant by liking my shadows.

If the brushes are small, many sided or have funny angles, then I generally use a detail brush. Any 6 sided, rectangular brushes wider than 8 units I tend to keep structural and I don't seem to have any FPS or compile issues with this.

I also bring the sample size for the lighting down for my final compile to stop the shadows aliasing - a lot of the effects I have in my maps would be impossible using detail brushes.

This is just the way *I* do things - I personally think it it makes for a better looking map and if there is a lot of detail, it tends to keep the frame rate high - my PC bogs down like f*ck if I use a lot of detail brushes.

*LEAVE NO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS OUT. GIMME ALL THE ADVICE U HAVE!*

This is what works for me - it may not for others
 Torchy
02-21-2004, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by codja
Detail brushes don't cast shadows as they are not included in VIS process, so the LIGHT stage just passes the light through the brush - that's what I meant by liking my shadows.

how do u figure that out? detail brushes just affect the vis process and thats it. only patches dont cast shadows (-unless you add patchshadows to light stage)
 Darksaber_SMC
02-21-2004, 2:17 PM
[off topic]
lol, what ya mean codja? I used to play XWA on the zone ;) I aint for ages now

[on topic]
So if i keep everything scructural, i get shadows, but low fps, and vice versa if i make em detail... I like my shadows as well ;)

lol, i try to caulk all surfaces that dont show... how but it slows the fps? How can i make sure theya re carefully caulked?

Torchy
02-21-2004, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by Darksaber_SMC
[on topic]
So if i keep everything scructural, i get shadows, but low fps, and vice versa if i make em detail... I like my shadows as well ;)

lol, i try to caulk all surfaces that dont show... how but it slows the fps? How can i make sure theya re carefully caulked?

just because your map is all structural doesnt mean it will run better. in some cases your map will take many times longer to compile and have no performance benefit. you should really learn what a detail brush does before you start detailing things.

some links

http://www.nibsworld.com/rtcw/tutorial_detail_and_hint_brushes_part1.shtml)

you know when you have caulked something in the player view because you will see a hall of mirrors effect
 codja
02-21-2004, 2:26 PM
Detail brushes were originally created for the Quake2 engine so id could add a lot of detailing without adversely affecting the compile times of the maps.

Detail brushes do not become part of the final visibilty matrix - hence the faster compile time.

The reason that detail brushes don't cast shadows it that the light function uses the visibilty matrix to compute where the shadows lie.

If detail brushes were vised then there would be no difference between them and structural brushes.
 Torchy
02-21-2004, 2:30 PM
make a box room with a detail crate and a structural crate and see for yourself :)
 codja
02-21-2004, 2:39 PM
I'll give it a go tonight when I get home, but i'm pretty sure i'm right. If not, then my apologies in advance but I hope we can agree that detail brushes are ignored by VIS, hence the faster compile time.

So, when are we going to get started on areaportals?

[excuse/get out clause] I know the original q3rad didn't shadow details, but the latest q3map is a cracking little utility, so perhaps (grudgingly admit) you're right...
 WadeV1589
02-21-2004, 2:59 PM
Something I learnt a short while ago is vis does actually affect lighting compile times, leaving everything structural will make lighting run at its fastest but at the expense of insane compile times and the risk of odd things happening as you play your map and maybe even drawing more than the game needs to.

Vis is an essential part of mapping, it can, at times, make a huge difference to most importantly FPS and to the light compile time.

And to clear it up, a detail brush [i]does[/b] cast shadows, patches don't unless you tell them to....

...in the latest Q3Map2 though you can tell things to not cast or not receive shadows, giving you even more control over lighting.

Don't learn to map unless you're willing to learn everything about every stage!
 Autobot Traitor
02-21-2004, 3:20 PM
If your making an outdours map, adding fog helps
 Darksaber_SMC
02-21-2004, 3:21 PM
you should really learn what a detail brush does before you start detailing things.

Im only asking about detail and structural brushes here so i can have a good explenation so i can make better maps :D

and thanx for the link :D

I'll probably never fully undersand all this VIS stuf, lol

JeeMonkey
02-22-2004, 6:13 AM
[on topic]
WHEN IS HIGH FPS, TOO HIGH FPS? remember as mappers we need to accomodate the les fortunate people who still use dial-up, and if they lag, they cause everyone else to lag then no one has a good time. so assuming this map if for a public server, when is high fps too high fps????

[off topic]
WOW, THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE REPLYS AND I MEAN EVERYONE. WHAT A BIG HELP!!!!
 GothiX
02-22-2004, 9:59 AM
Your FPS can't be too high.
 JeeMonkey
02-22-2004, 7:00 PM
well if fps does not affect your ping rate, then why the hell do so many noobs confuse everyone by saying it does! damn all the noobs!!!
 JoeSolo
03-02-2004, 12:21 PM
My standard FPS is 90 at 800X600 and all options turned up dunno why its just stuck on 90 fps most of the time but then i do hava pretty krap pc...
 Emon
03-02-2004, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by lauser
LOL!! The human eye can percieve motion at roughly 30 frames per second. Any lower and it's eye strain.

Much higher, into the hundreds, but you won't care or notice without looking really really hard after about 60. The reason movies and TV can run at 24 and 30 is because there's a motion blur from the filming process which fills in gaps between images in the frames, video games don't have that, so you must run at higher framerates for it to appear smooth.
Page: 1 of 1