Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I want a Gamecube!!!

Page: 1 of 2
 Acrylic
02-14-2004, 9:46 PM
I wonder, waht are some ways I can convince my dad for myself to get a Gamecube? Are there any places w/ deals, like you can get something with a Gamecube if you order it?

Thanks lots,
AC
 Jedi Luke
02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Dunno about good trades or anything but you can make a deal with your dad such as if you get top marks for school then at the end of the year, your dad buys you a GC.

Just to start off. More suggestions will come later if I think of other ways.
 Jared
02-14-2004, 10:12 PM
www.gamestop.com) should have some good bundles...and the gamecube is like...what....$100 now?

I could find a good deal somewhere online probably, tell me exactly what you are looking for....and as far as cheap games and used controllers and such....the only way I have all 3 systems and tons of games is the gamestop store.^^
 IG-64
02-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, first of all, what games are you going to get?
 Acrylic
02-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Yeah, its $100 now. Well, I want a Black GC, with the standard controller that come with it (brand new), and a good game, like LOZ : WW. Thanks, Acrylic.
 TheHobGoblin
02-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Well, first of all, what games are you going to get?
well the best games that I played myself that you should get are

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 1
Wrestlemania XIX
MKDA
Both Rouge Leader Games
Spider-Man
and a Action Replay won't be bad
 Acrylic
02-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Well, I have a PS2 and XBOX, and Im looking for a GC for the Exclusive games, like Metroid, Mario, FF:CC, etc.
 IG-64
02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Metroid was good, Mario was no better than 64 IMO ,you want a good mario game get Yoshi's Island or Mario RPG.

And if you want a good exclusive then I one thing to say: SSBM

Resident Evil 1 and 0 were good games aswell
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm definately gonna get SSBM. I really want one, and WILL get one, no matter what waters I must cross. </really dorky metaphor>
 TheHobGoblin
02-15-2004, 1:43 AM
Listen to Max Payne he gives good ones.
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 1:49 AM
Yes! SSBM is the way to go! Its my favorite game on Gamecube that I've played. I also didn't mind Animal Crossing, even though I stopped playing it and my town got run over by large amounts of overgrown plants.

I have a wavebird controller, I pretty much need it as my gamecube is located right above the tv, so wires dangle infront of the screen. ( darn )

Try looking for a platinum gamecube, it sells for less than a normal one (My friend got one for $119.00 CAN instead of $138.00
for a normal one)
 edlib
02-15-2004, 1:57 AM
I'm playing Starfox Adventures right now. It's a bit goofy, but a lot of fun. I recommend it.

Metroid is great.

Bounty Hunter was OK.

Clone Wars was kinda blah. Give it a pass, unless you see it really cheap.
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by edlib
Clone Wars was kinda blah. Give it a pass, unless you see it really cheap.

I have Clone Wars on XBOX. Pile o' Junk that is.

EDIT: the game that is...
 Astrotoy7
02-15-2004, 4:25 AM
I just won a GC on ebay for 1/2 its retail price(here in australia)...

ebay is a good place to look...

I will be playing these games :

*Rogue squadron 2 and 3 (duh!)
*Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
*Sonic heroes...

alot of ppl are telling me to check out metroid....i might give it a go one day....

MTFBWYA
 Neverhoodian
02-15-2004, 4:26 AM
Two words...

VIEWTIFUL JOE!!!

GET VIEWTIFUL JOE!!!

For other exclusives, Metriod Prime, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Rogue Leader and Super Smash Bros. Melee are all great. But...

*tries hypnotist impression*

You must get Viewtiful Joe! You must get Viewtiful Jooooooooooooooooooe!!!
 Darth Rythe
02-15-2004, 5:22 AM
When my brother bought you PS2 he said he bought it for half price and the TV, which isn't small, was about $200
 Astrotoy7
02-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rythe
When my brother bought you PS2 he said he bought it for half price and the TV, which isn't small, was about $200

....I seem to be lucky, I got my PS2 two years ago for $199, doing one of those trade ins with "Ebgames" where I traded in my ps1 and 12ps1 games(which I never played....) The only ps1 games I have kept are the Final Fantasy games. The rest, if I ever get nostalgic, I play off iso's with epsxe on my pc :p

I got the cube+1 controller for $80..... just in case you think Im fibbing.....

http://www.myimgs.com/data/astrotoy7/nin.jpg)

has anyone ever used those GC to PS controller convertors..any good ? because the GC controllers are a bit irritating....

MTFBWYA
 Alegis
02-15-2004, 10:15 AM
I love the NGC controllers, they fit PERFECTLY in the hand

We got a NGC 'recently' (xmas) it took a long time for my lil bro (about a year) to convince our elders...'blahblahblah, no more 'c' attitude on your grades! blahblahblah!!' oh well, it's here now is it :) we got that double dash combo pack

Why we got a ngc instead of PS2/Xbox:

-we (actually, 'I', im using it for 99%) got a good pc fer gaming, and the games released for ps2/xbox are practically the same as fer pc. NGC has got more exclusive stuff. Tell me when you get mario kart or smash bros for pcs
-i looooove smash bros
-support nintendo, i play nintendo since i was 3 yo
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 1:32 PM
So, anywhere where I can get a black Gamecube in store for about $90?
 IG-64
02-15-2004, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic

there's a used one at www.half.com) for 87.00
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
there's a used one at www.half.com) for 87.00

I could get a used one from gamestop for $70. But I want a NEW ONE, Never been played.
 IG-64
02-15-2004, 2:25 PM
I could get a used one from gamestop for $70. But I want a NEW ONE, Never been played.

Well, that's being a little picky about it :\ but if you can find one then more power to ya.
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 5:18 PM
Ok, another question!!!

I called my local Sam's Club, and heres the deal that they have:

1 Gamecube (with standard controller)
1 extra official nintendo controller
1 memory card 59 (whatever that means)
and Starfox Adventrues for:
$124.79 + tax. Good deal???
 Neverhoodian
02-15-2004, 6:06 PM
Well...kind of...

In comparison, when I got my Gamecube back in November of 2001, it had...

two controllers
Memory Card 59
Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm
a Gamecube collapsible chair

All for about $160.00

Try to get your hands on a Memory Card 251. I've been able to save all twelve of my GC games on one card! (as well as a game I'm borrowing from a friend and the occasional games I rent from video stores) You won't know how you got by without it. Also, try to get some wireless Wavebird controllers. Those things are great, you won't have to worry about getting cords tangled up.
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Well...kind of...

In comparison, when I got my Gamecube back in November of 2001, it had...

two controllers
Memory Card 59
Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm
a Gamecube collapsible chair

All for about $160.00

Try to get your hands on a Memory Card 251. I've been able to save all twelve of my GC games on one card! (as well as a game I'm borrowing from a friend and the occasional games I rent from video stores) You won't know how you got by without it. Also, try to get some wireless Wavebird controllers. Those things are great, you won't have to worry about getting cords tangled up.

I'll get a 251 in the future, at first Im not gonna have many games, so it wont matter to me. And I dont care about the wires, wireless controllers are horrible (I tried one before, yuck)
 Astrotoy7
02-15-2004, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
...and the games released for ps2/xbox are practically the same as fer pc. NGC has got more exclusive stuff.

...Tell me when you get mario kart or smash bros for pcs

...practically the same....nope....as a Final Fantasy devotee you cant live without a PS2 to play your old Final Fantasy games. And yes, I know FF7 and 8 were released on PC, but its *just not the same* These games are a console experience.... and FFX, FFX-2, FFXII(in development), are *platform exclusive* (Also, of course, FFI and 2, and FF 4, 5 6 had all be re-released for the ps1.....so the decision as to which console to buy was *easy*

...I was over the whole 'Mario' thing after I was about 11/12(probably when I had my amiga :p)......Im 28 now, so thsoe games hardly appeal to me...(though they may to some, I do realise)

MTFBWYA
 Astrotoy7
02-15-2004, 6:26 PM

yep thats about right, $90 US dollars = $150 aussie dollars, which is the retail price of a GC here.....

*GBA SPs cost *more* than a GC here ie.$50 more thana GC usually, is that the case over there ??

MTFBWYA
 DarkLord60
02-15-2004, 6:40 PM
I hope You know what your getting into.
 Astrotoy7
02-15-2004, 6:57 PM
Best ways of convincing your parents to buy you stuff....

1. Do a "if I get good grades" deal.....
2. Wait til your birthday, and be extra polite & well behaved
3. Do lots of chores around, outside the house

if all that fails:

get a job to get you some pocket money, so, if you're a youngster, something like a paper round for instance....

all of the above served me well when I was in my early teens !

if your 15 or over, get off your a$$ and get an after school job, and stop relying on mumsie and dad to get you stuff.......

MTFBWYA
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 7:47 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
2. Wait til your birthday, and be extra polite & well behaved

My birthday was 3 days ago. They gave me $100.

if your 15 or over, get off your a$$ and get an after school job, and stop relying on mumsie and dad to get you stuff.......

I turned 15 3 days ago. I'm looking for a job. But I still have enough money to buy a GC. But the thing is, I wanna convince my dad that I NEED a GC.
 the_raven_03
02-15-2004, 7:56 PM
I don't know how you are gonna convince your dad that you NEED a GC when you said you have a PS2 and an Xbox. It doesn't sound to me that you need it at all.
 Tyrion
02-15-2004, 8:30 PM
I wanna convince my dad that I NEED a GC.

I have a PS2 and XBOX

I just turned 15 3 days ago

Uh..Acrylic..I'm just wondering..but do you do any schoolwork at all? :p. You have a computer, a PS2, and an XBOX, and you still "need" a Gamecube? I understand needing notebooks, pda's, and computers, but needing a Gamecube?

Dont be greedy..use your money to buy the Gamecube.
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 8:59 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Uh..Acrylic..I'm just wondering..but do you do any schoolwork at all? :p. You have a computer, a PS2, and an XBOX, and you still "need" a Gamecube? I understand needing notebooks, pda's, and computers, but needing a Gamecube?

GOD DAMNIT! I TOLD PEOPLE HOW MANY TIMES NOW!!!! I AM GONNA BUY THE GAMECUBE WITH MY OWN MONEY!!!!!!

I bought the XBox with my own money too, and 80% of all my games.

And, yes, I do schoolwork. I dont play games ALL the time.
 the_raven_03
02-15-2004, 9:05 PM
Calm Down there fella. It was just sounding to everyone, me included, that you were sounding greedy. We didn't mean to make you that upset.
 Acrylic
02-15-2004, 9:57 PM
Originally posted by the_raven_03
Calm Down there fella. It was just sounding to everyone, me included, that you were sounding greedy. We didn't mean to make you that upset.

Sorry for getting all clear. I thought earlier I made my poitn clear though. :)

Anyways, I talked to my mom about it. She was fine with it, after hearing with all that it was only $124.00. I'll talk to my dad about it later.
 Jed
02-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I understand where your dad is coming from...you've got 2 game systems and a computer, you should have plenty of places to get games. Trying to convince him you need a GC is fruitless.GOD DAMNIT! I TOLD PEOPLE HOW MANY TIMES NOW!!!! I AM GONNA BUY THE GAMECUBE WITH MY OWN MONEY!!!!!!

And regarding that, don't yell at anyone - you can't say you didn't exactly sound a bit greedy earlier...
 Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Jed
I understand where your dad is coming from...you've got 2 game systems and a computer, you should have plenty of places to get games. Trying to convince him you need a GC is fruitless.

And regarding that, don't yell at anyone - you can't say you didn't exactly sound a bit greedy earlier...

exactly, I know Im gonna sound like an old fart but when I was 15 I had damn nuthin ! I did get an amiga when I was 16ish, but that was second hand, from a family friend

...ok, um.....you have an XB, and Ps2 and a PC...no you dont need a GC, sorry to say it, it does sound downright greedy. How about you donate your XB or PS2 to needy kids or a community youth centre, then you'll deserve a gamecube.....

I am 28..... I have a PS2 and PC(which is a business lease computer, so I dont own it...), a GC(as you can see above)and a GBA I got for $40....

I consider myself extremely lucky, and I pay our mortgage, share bills for food, utilities etc

If you can convince your dad you need one without any form of compromise, you're just being manipulative to achieve your own ends, and ultimately, selfish...

but not to be too harsh, I would like to offer a suggestion.... do you have little brothers and sisters, ther are some gamecube games that younger kids enjoy, if you could *share it with them* then that would be an option for you...

MTFBWYA
 -=DarkZero=-
02-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow, I saw the topic and was like, OMG I WANT A GAMECUBE TOO! But my case doesn't have to do with my parents, cause I'm buying mine soon >_>
 Chewbacco
02-16-2004, 3:32 AM
The Game cube has the weakest CPU power out of the PS2 and Xbox. I think the GameCube is like rated at around 300MHz while the Xbox has around 733MHz, and the PS2 has about maybe 500MHz. Take your pick unless you already got the damn thing.:p
 ET Warrior
02-16-2004, 4:23 AM
exactly, I know Im gonna sound like an old fart but when I was 15 I had damn nuthin ! I did get an amiga when I was 16ish, but that was second hand, from a family friend

Plus you had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways..

*pulls out the world's smallest violin and plays a sad song for Astrotoy*

I kid I kid.
 _PerfectAgent_
02-16-2004, 4:23 AM
Actually, the GameCube (http://www.nintendo.com/techspecgcn) has a 485 MHz clock frequency while the PS2 (http://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=2/info/415007657.html)'s) clock frequency is 294 MHz.
 toms
02-16-2004, 11:26 AM
gamecube is way more powerful than ps2. It is basically near enough as powerful as x-box, but cos it has 1.5gb disks it tends to have much more compressed video and audio.
It also tends to suffer from getting the ports with the least amount of effort as it has a smaller user base, so you often end up with a port that is similar to the PS2, where a bit of effort would have made it as good as the xbox.

Gamecube is a great system that has been continually mismarketed and mismanaged by nintendo who have been insanely shortsighted and selfish in a number of decisions about it (online play, small disks, no N64 player, purple, etc...) If they had managed it right it should have outsold xboxs by miles. oh well.

Still, as a secondary system to complement a PC it is unbeatable, as it is both a bargain price, and has DIFFERENT games to the pc. Unlike Xbox and PS2 games that tend to get ported, or just be similar genres.
Now, if only nintendo would bring out a decent broadband service, bluetooth contectivity to GBAs, an N64/gba player and get it together....

[edit] i meant Online play, not Inline. sigh.
 Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Plus you had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways..

I kid I kid.

nah, actually I got a lift to school, but yours sounds better... :p

I see this has turned into a "battle of the consoles" thread.....

soon, every geek with left mouse button will weigh in as to which system is better.....

my choice is Ps2 only because it has the games I want to play(Final Fantasy....) I have a GC now, so I can play RS 2and 3 and a few others.... I have absolutely NO plans to get an XB, Bill gates has had enough of my money, dammit !

MTFBWYA
 Acrylic
02-16-2004, 2:37 PM
...ok, um.....you have an XB, and Ps2 and a PC...no you dont need a GC, sorry to say it, it does sound downright greedy. How about you donate your XB or PS2 to needy kids or a community youth centre, then you'll deserve a gamecube.....

I could donate em, but I wouldnt do that, because I still play them, and if I have a few games for em, and enjoy em too, I see no sense in giving it away if I still truly enjoy them. :)

I know I sound Kinda greedy. I mean, I dont need a Gamecube, but since it's $100 (which is $80 less than the other systems) I feel a big urge just to go out and get one.)
 toms
02-16-2004, 2:39 PM
for my part, i didn't want to be all "battle of the consoles", as that is a battle no-one can win. :D
I just get frustrated that nintendo seems to go out of their way to make enjoying a gamecube as hard as possible...
 DarkLord60
02-16-2004, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion

Hey I have all that stuff And I still have time for homework :)
 RoxStar
02-17-2004, 9:23 PM
I like gamecube because its so small. Just tell your dad that you're thinking about buying one and listen to what he has to say.
 Chewbacco
02-18-2004, 3:13 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
Hey I have all that stuff And I still have time for homework :) What about time for friends?:)
 Acrylic
02-18-2004, 3:49 AM
Originally posted by Chewbacco
What about time for friends?:)

OOOOHHHH!!! BURNANATED!!!

Anyways, my dad said no. But maybe, by some chance, if I wager more, he'll let me.
 Tyrion
02-18-2004, 4:36 AM
OOOOHHHH!!! BURNANATED!!!

Anyways, my dad said no. But maybe, by some chance, if I wager more, he'll let me.

Or you could just save the money in a bank account and wait until the next generation of consoles come out.

Or just buy some more games for the PC. :p UT2k4, Farcry, and Battlefield 'Nam is coming out in the next month or so.
Page: 1 of 2