Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The best game idea - ever

Page: 1 of 1
 Master_Keralys
02-12-2004, 2:46 PM
Okay, for years, now, I've been wanting a certain type of game. It's where you can pretty much do whatever you want whenever you want and watch it affect the course of other events in the universe. I know, I know, KOTOR, you'll all say. But no, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a game that combines the best elements of RPG, FPS, and even flight-sim technology into one seamless engine that allows for almost anything.

Impossible, you say? Probably...

But how cool would it be to be able to fly an X-wing, then decide you want to get involved in the ground battle going on, so you land the fighter (on harder skill levels you'd actually have to land it, not have an anim do it for you...), jump out, and go for some JA-style lightsaber combat - but with other troops, Jedi or not, fighting by your side. Then, when you think you'd be better used in space, run back to your x-wing and take off, fly up through the atmosphere dogfighting as you go, into space and engage a Star Destroyer or a Yuuzhan Vong cruiser or whatever. Or perhaps respond to orders coming from someone higher up in these situations, increasing the need to be thinking ahead and whatnot. Have the ability to talk your way out of situations instead of slaughtering everything in sight, and enjoy the RPG side of things by being able to just chill out in a cantina.

Best of all - be able to do all this with other games. That would be an awesome game.

It's probably impossible with the current state of gaming technology, but when they finally get around to developing something like that, I'll be the first one to sign up. In fact, for any universe: that kind of immersion would be nothing short of incredible...

Thoughts, anyone? And what's your dream game?
 ExcelsioN
02-12-2004, 2:48 PM
It isn't impossible, we've already seen combinations of Strategy/FPS and Strategy/RPG. It would be amazing, but would cost a hell of a lot of money and time.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 2:51 PM
What about the part where it zooms out and becomes a strategy game?

I've been thinking about a game like that as well

I was also thinking of a game that realistically models a huge area down to the tinyest details and your given powers to do whatever you want, probably impossible though
 Master_Keralys
02-12-2004, 2:58 PM
The strategy part would be cool... Perhaps as you advanced through the game you could choose different "career" paths - become a highly trained SpecOps type warrior, a negotiator, or an Admiral. Become a high-level military and you get more and more involved in strategic decision making instead of in the actual combat...
 Crazy_dog no.3
02-12-2004, 4:34 PM
It's not impossible but the system/memory requirements would be insane.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 4:38 PM
Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

If you had a really good engine you could do it on console, but alot of people don't like console over PC.
 ET Warrior
02-12-2004, 5:52 PM
The problem isn't just in raw power to pull it off. PC's these days have an awful lot of power (more than a console for certain) The problem is in developing such a game. First of all, a single FPS game can take years to develop (read: Halo2, halflife2, etc) Combining different styles of gameplay woudl take an immense amount of time and manpower. I mean, this code has to take into account not only the massively multiplayer aspects of it, but from the way you describe it, you'll need the computer to conitnually update and keep track of a fullscale war going down on multiple planets.

THat's just insane amounts of coding business.
 Astrotoy7
02-12-2004, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
If you had a really good engine you could do it on console, but alot of people don't like console over PC.

...Cmon IG, I love my PS2(and soon my GC!) but I'd never think consoles would be able to handle things better than a souped up gaming PC. I think consoles can be more fun for certain types of games though, eg. multiplayer sports games when you have friends over... theres is also the customisability/mod factor. Alot of games have their playability extended by being able to be modified, like JA etc.

This topic of a SW dream game has come up numerous times in the JA forum. I think it'd be huge undertaking, and as soemone above mentioned, to make it good would need an extremely high end gaming system....

in the meantime Im happy with KOTOR, eventually its sequel. Might give Battlefront a try(though not usually the type of game I play), and love Rebel Strike on the Cube. All thats missing is a more complex SW flight sim in the mould of the SW/Tie games....

MTFBWYA
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
The problem isn't just in raw power to pull it off. PC's these days have an awful lot of power (more than a console for certain) The problem is in developing such a game. First of all, a single FPS game can take years to develop (read: Halo2, halflife2, etc) Combining different styles of gameplay woudl take an immense amount of time and manpower. I mean, this code has to take into account not only the massively multiplayer aspects of it, but from the way you describe it, you'll need the computer to conitnually update and keep track of a fullscale war going down on multiple planets.

THat's just insane amounts of coding business.

Heck, the makers of Sims 2 said that it would be too hard to have the the wole negiborhood procces so you could walk around to different houses (which I wanted! :fist: )
 DarkLord60
02-12-2004, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by IG-64

No it just wouldnt work.
 Crow_Nest
02-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I also wanted a game in which you can do what ever you want, instead of following those instructions they give you, you cant kill friendlies (sp?) because you fail the mission or something. That would be so :cool:

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

Yeah you need like a:

3.4 GHz machine
you need a 128MB Radeon 9800 XT, GeForce FX 5950 ultra or better :D
32-bit sound card
1 gig RAM (:p)
An air-conditioner in your PC cause it will overheat
 Astrotoy7
02-14-2004, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Yeah you need like a:

3.4 GHz machine
you need a 128MB Radeon 9800 XT, GeForce FX 5950 ultra or better :D
32-bit sound card
1 gig RAM (:p)
An air-conditioner in your PC cause it will overheat

My friend has that almost exactly !!....custom built, including some nitrogen cooling thingy.... he cant stop bragging about it either.....

MTFBWYA
 Sam
02-14-2004, 2:54 PM
Grand theft auto:Planet

Go any where on this planet.

or

Grand theft auto:Star Wars

Star wars gta nuff said.

Those would be my dream games.
 ET Warrior
02-14-2004, 3:23 PM
Any of you ever played Morrowind? Morrowind is HUGE, absolutely massive, and whenever you change areas you have to deal with a fairly large loading time. Why? The PC just can't hold onto and keep track of that much information at the same time. Evntually, yeah, probably. But now, it's not really practical or even all that possible.
 Master_Keralys
02-17-2004, 3:15 PM
I admit that it's not really a reasonable venture now. But that doesn't make it any less cool of an idea. I'd have a blast playing something like that. It would be most interesting to be able to develop a game like that, as well. True, the coding would be incredibly difficult, but can you imagine the rewards? Moreover, the environment would be incredibly dynamic because of the MMO stuff - it'd be a lot of fun to go through, that's all I'm getting at...
 rick ulo 11103
02-17-2004, 9:39 PM
Originally posted by Sam
Grand theft auto:Planet

Go any where on this planet.

or

Grand theft auto:Star Wars

Star wars gta nuff said.

Those would be my dream games.

now that i think of it that would be awesome
 RoxStar
02-17-2004, 9:47 PM
How could you command people if you're an Xwing piliot? I could see being a mercenary like Kyle Katarn butno t a jedi/piliot/gun freak.
 dark jedi 8
02-18-2004, 12:16 AM
so basically its a cross between rogue squadron and jedi knight only with better graphics, bigger environments, and more custimization? sounds great. i think microsoft could pull it off for xbox and pc because they have the money and resources, there would have to be a loading screen between space and the planet, and probably seperate the planet into a few different conjoining maps with individual loading but i think it is possible.
 Pnut_Man
02-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Screw games, I want the Matrix, NJO style :p

Think about it though, the possibilities of some ultra-sophisticated virtual reality system that could mimic The Matrix.
I'm not sure if some people would ever want to leave it ;)
 Jared
02-18-2004, 12:43 AM
too bad this is all a pipe dream....
 DarkLord60
02-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by rick ulo 11103
now that i think of it that would be awesome

I agree also that would be badass.
 IG-64
02-18-2004, 1:22 AM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
Screw games, I want the Matrix, NJO style :p

Think about it though, the possibilities of some ultra-sophisticated virtual reality system that could mimic The Matrix.
I'm not sure if some people would ever want to leave it ;)

Well, we could discharge sattelites that will encompass the extiriority of the earth's terrestrial sphere and expel a scanning emission to encumbrance the entirety of the world in a continuously updating virtual existence where you are accustomed to copious powers that allow you to engage in whatever activity you prefer.

But I think that would be kinda expensive. :xp:
 Crow_Nest
02-18-2004, 7:29 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
My friend has that almost exactly !!....custom built, including some nitrogen cooling thingy.... he cant stop bragging about it either.....

MTFBWYA

Well i do wish i had an air-condition in my PC, my card and the other stuff overheats damn fast..... And the whether here is so hot in singapore. :sweat:

Its even worse in may-july. :(
 El Sitherino
02-18-2004, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by Jared
too bad this is all a pipe dream.... fill my bowl, I'd like a puff at this stuff XD.

Seriously I would love a realism game. I think a game where we could explore an entire planet would be cool, map a large sphere and have stuff on it and just go where, I think it'd be awesome. I like that real matrix idea, true it'd most likely never happen but it's a hell of an idea. I've been thinking things like this for as long as I can remember though :\. Right now I'll just stick with having my imaginary saber fights ;)
 toms
02-18-2004, 10:01 AM
er... battlecruiser generations?????????????:D
(sorry, what is it called now?? Universal Combat):D

Game where you have a whole universe to play in. can fly giant battlecruisers, small fighters, fly down to the surface and fight on foot as an FPS, etc... Already exists.

Unfortunately (as is often the case with cross-genre games) each part is fairly average as they don't have the resources to concentrate on any one section. It also becomes an incredibly confusing and complex world where you don't really know what to do.

You could also try out Morrowind, Terminus, SWG if it ever gets teh space addon, X2 etc...
 Master_Keralys
02-19-2004, 2:23 PM
My thoughts are more a combo of X-wing Alliance and Jedi Knight and a highly advanced tactical/strategic game. No, you wouldn't be doing strategy in an X-wing, I never said that. I also didn't say this was even feasible, just cool.

That game you just mentioned sounds cool, but it'd be better if it was the best in everything - tough, I know, but possible.
Page: 1 of 1