Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Roundness

Page: 1 of 1
 lauser
02-05-2004, 2:33 PM
Ugh....how do I get my extremely large round func_rotating tube to be EXACTLY round? Yes I know I can drag vertices but I can't seem to get it perfectly round. Is there a shortcut in RADIANT or do I have to just keep dragging vertices?

BTW...Just in case you were wondering if you can make cylinders any size, I think the limit is 512 units. Anything after that and the cylinder vertex only connects at the ACTUAL vertex points. In Radiant it looks fine. But compile it and it's all out of wack. You CAN make patches bigger and make them into 4 seperate pieces to make your cylinder but I don't think Radiant likes that either.
 Leslie Judge
02-05-2004, 5:41 PM
Yeah, it's very hard to get really round looking cylinders. But... you can use a 32 or 40 sided brush instead for example. That looks more round but - of course - not so smooth.
 lauser
02-05-2004, 9:06 PM
Heeeyyyyyy.....LJ!! Long time no chat..LOL Good to see you around still.:D

Hey remember if_bespin that you helped me work on? Well I'm making a new version of that for JA. Only not so buggy.
 Lil Killa
02-05-2004, 10:32 PM
hey lauser.. check the level source thread where you asked Thrawn the same thing... I answered over there..
 gotcha8903
02-06-2004, 1:14 AM
Originally posted by lauser
Anything after that and the cylinder vertex only connects at the ACTUAL vertex points. In Radiant it looks fine. But compile it and it's all out of wack.

does this mean that it will leave open spaces if you put a cylinder base next to a donut shaped patch mesh? if that makes any sense to anyone....
 Leslie Judge
02-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Erm... yes. I guess. :)

If you put two patches (incl. cylinder, bevel, etc.) next to each other it can happen that the game engine will use more pieces to display patch #1 and less for patch #2. In this case they look good in Radiant but in game you can see through the hole.

It is very disturbing.

One solution can be the already mentioned -patchmeta switch for the compiler but you can specify the subdivison value in general only. If you have cylinders with smaller diameters too then they will be converted into much more triangles than necessary.

I hope I was clear. Sometimes I can't decide if the senteces have any sense in English. :)
 GothiX
02-06-2004, 12:16 PM
That was clear English, LJ. :)

Also, you could merge two patches into one, so they won't be rendered individuallly.
 WadeV1589
02-06-2004, 3:08 PM
You can make lighting on brushes smoother by using a few terrain techniques, stuff like q3map_smoothangle 180 and q3map_nonplanar.
 lauser
02-06-2004, 4:16 PM
Where would you apply those Wade? In worldspawn or the compile?
 GothiX
02-06-2004, 4:30 PM
Looks more like shader entries.
 wedge2211
02-06-2004, 6:20 PM
Sometimes large patches can get messed if you have a leak in your map. Otherwise, try the split patch function of Bobstoolz.
 lauser
02-06-2004, 7:15 PM
Okay well it's too late now I'm using straight brushes instead. The advantage to using the brushes is that I can make nice SMOOTH walkways in and out of my shaft areas. The problem with the cylinders is an on going thing in many of my maps so I just assumed ...or at least it seems there is a size limit.
 gotcha8903
02-06-2004, 11:06 PM
thanks LJ:)

I noticed this that in one of my maps I was making in JO, but when I switched it to JA it was fine.
Page: 1 of 1