Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cut Scenes in MP

Page: 1 of 1
 Arkon11
01-30-2004, 8:29 PM
Well just like the topic says, can you use cut-scenes in mp.
 Torchy
01-30-2004, 8:50 PM
nope
 Arkon11
01-30-2004, 9:36 PM
Are you sure, if not is there any way someone could code it? This is for a certain mod that is probaly going to be "the next big thing"
 Mercenary
01-30-2004, 9:42 PM
In sp the camera view is through the "eyes of the player". How will you do this with many players?
 wedge2211
01-31-2004, 1:33 AM
I think you can have start and end cutscenes in Siege. A lot of stuff is allowed in Siege that you can't do in the other gametypes. Check out the levelforge JA tutorial forum (http://levelforge.teamhuh.com/forgelink/viewforum.php?f=27) for details on Siege.
 Arkon11
01-31-2004, 3:13 PM
Well, this isn't for Siege, this is for a whole new game type.
 GothiX
01-31-2004, 3:22 PM
Poke Freyr until he codes it in.
 shukrallah
02-01-2004, 8:17 PM
Wish it would work. :( it would be really cool :D
 Matt-Liell
02-02-2004, 12:12 PM
First off why would you want to have cutscenes in a multiplayer map, 1 it would lag 2 it would screw you up and thats only after the point if you solve my next question, how? How would you trigger a cutscene and use a cutscene effectivly like that? Sureok after some guy on the map presses a swith it triggers a cutscene, then you have all these other guys jumping around with sabers and shooting and crap and then theres you trying to get them to do something for the cutscene so right now you got 1 guy pressing a switchcreating lag while other people playing just sit there going "Wtf I gotta watch this guy press a goddam switch I
m in the middle of a duel!" And thats only if you can figure out a way to group all the people to see the same thing without moving their positions. Too much effort for little pay I say well theres my 2 cents.
 wedge2211
02-02-2004, 7:39 PM
That's why I mentioned Siege above: it's the only gametype in which a cutscene makes sense. Start and end cutscenes would be fairly straightforward, you just play them before/after everyone has spawned in/the mission ends. I also thought you could have the action "freeze" while a cutscene played, to depict some important event occurring.
 GothiX
02-02-2004, 7:44 PM
I know the project Arkon is working on, which you'll probably see sometime, and trust me - it would greatly benefit from cutscenes.
 shukrallah
02-02-2004, 8:26 PM
Heres what i know works in MP:

You can move NPCs around (like walking, probably talking, things like that) umm.. you can have things move like one of those static brushes (arggg... cant remember the names. Im getting rusty...) You can also tell the script to break cetain items (a func_breakable)

My guesses:

Since you can move NPCs, you should be able to animate them. If you cant get them to talk, you CAN still play the talking sound. If you can move the static brushes, you could probably move EFX files around. If you can trigger func_breakables to break, you could probably make a script to turn EFX files on and off (well.. you could use triggers)

Anyone know if you can control the player? Like change their weapons (an all gun map would offer a bit of variety) or something. I couldnt do it to an NPC, so i doubt you can with the player :(
 Arkon11
02-03-2004, 11:43 AM
I'll get Freyr on it as soon as he is done with the last task I gave him :p
Page: 1 of 1