Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Endor map Help

Page: 1 of 1
 darkdreamr
01-28-2004, 4:30 AM
ok.... CTF based on endor.. using speeder bikes and ATSTs.....

I need help with Trees.. i know that GTK radient has this cruddy tree maker.. but lets face its.. its not endor sized trees..
I think theres a shader for leaves .. but ive been unsucessfull in using it... does anyone know how to make tree leaves on trees?
I wanna make it so as if theres a sky of trees.. except in a few large parts will shine through.. i can do that.. i just need to know how to make the tree leaves work right... can someone please help on that?

and.. is there any thick/dence bush models in the game? if so.. how do i get them into GTK radient?

2nd i need movie stills.. or drawings.. pictures and such of endor to ensure some accuracy.. im obviously not going to put TONS of trees on the main swoop area... the basic layout is going to be 2 empire type bases connected by a long curvy strip where you can ride through, jump over and dodge trees on swoop .. as well as walk around on ATSTs in attempt to capture the other team's flag..

i dont seem to see any maps based off of endor.. not sure if its cause jedi sucked... or theres been problems making it.. it doesnt seem as if it would be a hard thing to do.. but i could be wrong...

please give me some opinions on this

thanks
 shukrallah
01-28-2004, 2:23 PM
I attempted Endor once.. but i really didnt know where to start... or end. Most of the time, they just put mountains around the map (like in the hoth map, even though those mountains werent there in the movie)

anyways, on to what your talking about. Put some tree md3s in your map, i know there is this really big tree, and there are probably others. Maybe someone could make you a few :)

There are some "bushs" but most of the stuff is like things you would see on yavin. Check out the yavin md3s, that has all (or most) of the outdoor trees, rocks, bushes, plants.. and things like that.

You could watch return of the jedi, or go to www.starwars.com) for some endor pics.

Check this out too for endor pics Endor Pics right here! (http://images.google.com/images?q=Endor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en)
 darkdreamr
01-28-2004, 8:42 PM
how exactly do you use MD3s on GTK radiant? im still very new to it.. ive only published 2 maps publicly...

do md3s have more of an effect on FPS then a solid brush?

like for example.. what would kill FPS more.. a 8 sided round tall brush... or a model made for as a tree?

my plan for endor is to have a decently wide.. but not to wide and semi long strip of land.. which connects 2 bases.. not very complicated at all.. ill ofcourse put up a few ambush towers to snipe from and each base will probably have 6 swoops and 2 ATSTs.
 shukrallah
01-28-2004, 9:58 PM
a model wont kill FPS, but neither will an 8 sided brush. They will lower FPS, but not that much, that also depends on your PC.

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn5.html)

that will teach you how to put models into your map. There should be a list of JA models stuck at the top of the forum :)
 darkdreamr
01-29-2004, 12:10 AM
i found out if you right click on the map screen and click misc - misc_model i get a menu of stuff to use.. i found the trees... so thats cool.. but they seem like they use a Hell of a lot of faces...

are you sure that it wont effect FPS, compile time, or cause drastic compile issues?

I run a 1.8 ghz celeron, 256 mb ram, with on board graphics.. and the game runs smooth.. but i think i have problems compiling maps when they get a little too large.. my computer just takes a crap and sometimes runs out of ram... :P

lol dont get me started on how much of a nightmare Total Jedi war 2 - hoth canyon was! i ditched the project after 5 days of hell!

:cowdance:
FEAR YOUR HOLIDAY COW!
 lauser
01-30-2004, 8:16 AM
ENDOR SIEGE map to be released by Colossal Entertainment in the next few weeks. You want ENDOR trees? I made some REAL nice ones in MILKSHAPE if you want some.

BTW...models can be resized with the command Key: modelscale
Value: (anywhere from 0.1 to 1000)
 Matt-Liell
01-30-2004, 1:59 PM
I've made 2 endor maps though no to completion, in my ewok village I made huge trunks as seen in the movie and used the leaf shaders on some brushes for foliage, in my bunker map I never really got around to trees but I searced www.google.ca) for "Endor" and I got some good refs.
 darkdreamr
01-30-2004, 2:40 PM
lukeskywalker1 gave me a link to a google search of endor which did prove to be quite useful (Even the Lego pics people made LOL)

i did a search on trees and found out how to make them solid after you put them in.

you said i can scale a tree using modelscale? does that show how big it is on screen or not until you load it on game?
so far ive made one fairly large dirt road with about 10 trees (for tests) i used large ones, smaller ones, ones that stick out from the side.. and one fallen tree (which is cool cause you can stand on it and blast oncomming swoops)
the thing i like about the trees is anyone who is a decent skilled jumper can jump onto branches and use them as a good snipe post (which im going to have to consider what type of weapons to include in this map.)

i was considering a figure 8 map.. with the base at oposite corners.. but then i thought about the fact that when your in the dead center of that figure 8 the draw on the computer is going to be at max... which means FPS will die... mabey a more zig zag figure 8 would do better..
i want more then 1 path to use to get to the enemys base..

damn... i just thought.. if theres fallen trees.. the ATSTs cant walk to the opposite base... (argh)

dont know how im going to remedy that one .. unless atsts would be used for defence only...
 Matt-Liell
01-30-2004, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by darkdreamr
l

damn... i just thought.. if theres fallen trees.. the ATSTs cant walk to the opposite base... (argh)

dont know how im going to remedy that one .. unless atsts would be used for defence only...

Its a forest, theres always another path, and more paths to take makes maps more interesting and more fun, why not cut to little paths through the trees to accomodate atsts, swoops and give the element of surprise.
 shukrallah
01-30-2004, 8:07 PM
I seriously doubt your FPS will be affected as much as you think. I use Md3s all the time, and i only have 128 RAM and 1.2 Ghz. ;)

Really, md3s make your map look a LOT better... so just compile your test and see for your self. You could probably use hint brushes in your figure 8 (i wont get into that, ive read the tutorial about 50 times, i get it, but cant figure out how to apply it correctly to my maps)

To make MD3s solid, just add the command spawnflags 2 to the enitie. I dont got a weird texture problem when i tried Misc_model though, no leaves showed up, but misc_model_static fixes this problem, but spawnflags 2 does NOT work for it, and you have to add the clip shader around the tree :(
 darkdreamr
01-30-2004, 10:20 PM
the only time i have texture problems when using misc_model is when i try and use bushes.. it has this red texture around it.. saying missing shader.. but the trees come up just fine.

the only problem with cutting a specific path for ATSTs is that there is no element of suprise.. people will know they are comming down that path and trip bomb it to hell cause they know its the only path to go..

i have a feeling this map would make a good trip mine map cause theres so many places you can lay a trip mine without it easily being seen... im actually very excited about making this map.

and i have noticed tht the compile time is nothing for using md3s... so im happy about that too.. thanks for informing me about those..
 shukrallah
01-31-2004, 1:17 AM
yeah, a good deal of what you see in JKA is MD3 or ASE models. The game would look really dull without them. ;) If the normal game runs good (and they used several MD3s!) your map will be just fine :)
 darkdreamr
01-31-2004, 8:37 PM
good to know.... now ... how do i make models for this ? LOL
I think i saw something with richdeisals site.. but i dont think i understood it to well.. i do have 3d studio and a md3 exporter (i make custom saber hilts too http://jk3hilts.evilzz.net) to see some of my work)

but i dont understand how to get the skins on it properly.

D.Doughnut
 shukrallah
01-31-2004, 11:50 PM
Heh, you should probably download the Model kit thingy released by Raven. I know its at jk3files.com

I really cant help you there, ive needed, and wanted to model, but dont have the software (i wish Gmax would support JKA!) but untill it does, i wont be modeling. I think the model kit includes a tutorial on how to model.... if not you can probably find one. Theres also a modeling forum here at lucasforums, feel free to ask there :)
 darkdreamr
02-03-2004, 3:33 AM
ummm i dont see why you think its not supported.. i did all my sabers with gmax. using popnfresh's MD3 Exporter.. i even imported one of my sabers (tron disk) into gtkradiant.. but the skin didnt go with it unfortunatly.

BTW i love the morgan head in the models for gtk radiant.. LOL i can think about 100 things to do with that!
 shukrallah
02-04-2004, 12:40 AM
so you can make .md3 models with Gmax? what about .GLM? and Gmax is free?!?!?

The only 2 things in JKA/JK2 i have never stepped into is modeling and coding. Maybe i can enter modeling :D
 darkdreamr
02-04-2004, 6:05 PM
From what i was using.. i used a plugin for gmax...its called pop'n'fresh MD3 Exporter (or something like that.. but i know it was by popnfresh)

what you would do .. is put it in your plugins.. and when you have a model all skinned and ready.. you would click File>export
and then select the file type to be MD3.. name it.. and from there.. put 0 in the frames area.. and click make md3 or export

Then use a program that Raven put out a little while back called MD3View to make it a GLM file...

but making a GLM file with MD3View i think only works for Sabers and player models.. and you still have to make a .skin file directing what jpg goes to what part of that model..

as far as i know.. its different for map models as apposed to play models... cause i always got an untextured model in my map..
Page: 1 of 1