Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

were can I get Rules for the 2da editor?

Page: 1 of 1
 Psycho Monkey
01-27-2004, 8:46 PM
I trying my hand at changing the player models (Making my own version of Talchia's Carnival Mod) and I finnaly found out why my edits in the 2da editor weren't working, I was just editing the Appearance rule.
I need the head rule and maybe some others I don't know about.
Plese help out a newbie, thanks.

:monkbomb:
-Psycho Monkey!
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 8:57 PM
I'm.... not completely sure what you're asking.

To change your model in game, you need to change certain fields in the appearance.2da, heads.2da, and possibly portraits.2da

But exactly what you need to do, and if there's any more work involved or not depends largely on just what exactly you're trying to do.

And of course, you have to know which line(s) to change. Can take a little figuring out, since there's like.. 90 possible combinations, and each has its own line in the appearance.2da

(15 female heads, 15 male = 30. Now remember there's 3 starting classes, so that winds up 30 x 3 = 90) ;)

If you can be a little more specific, I might be able to be more help here.

-Kitty
 Psycho Monkey
01-28-2004, 2:30 AM
I'm sorry, I said the wrong thing, I have all the 2da files.
OK heres what I need, go to the 2da editor folder were the executable program file is. There is a folder called "RULES", in it are configuration files called Appearance.ini and Portraits.ini. I need Heads.ini so I can edit heads.
-
I'm terribly sorry Kitty Kitty, I know I've been a pain in your tail since the day I joined this forum, but I just don't know what to do. ;)
 Fred Tetra
01-28-2004, 3:45 AM
Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!

(Sorry, just had to say that!)
 gameunlimited
01-28-2004, 4:23 AM
try using fred tetra's kotor tool instead. as he said "We don't need no stinkin' rules!" =)
 Psycho Monkey
01-28-2004, 7:27 PM
Oh, I'd love to if the damn thing worked on my computer. I have to update some windows thing to get it the start up properly but as this isn't even my computer I am not the person to just update it myself.
But can we stick to the question I asked please? Does anyone have, or know were I can get, the Heads.ini file?

God, modding is starting to piss me off! :swear:
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 7:31 PM
I've never used any tools that require "rules" nor an ini file for any of the 2da files.

So unfortunately, I really don't have a clue what to tell you. Sorry =(

(Except to say you might want to get permission to upgrade the .NET extentions so you can use Fred's Kotor_tool. It makes this stuff a LOT easier.)

-Kitty
 Psycho Monkey
01-28-2004, 10:31 PM
I figured anyone who uses Kotor tool also uses 2da editor (I thought you needed both to do deep hacks).
I guess I'll try to update the .net file, though I don't understand why that's required. I hope the internet isn't needed for this program, as the computer I have the game installed in dosen't have a connection (and the one I'm using for internet can't even imagine running KotOR).

:( I feel so stupid.
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 11:58 PM
kotor_tool has its own built in 2da editor. I've never used or seen the stand alone one.

However, if you look at the list of programs page I put together, as an alternate if you can't get the .NET framework updated (which is required since the build of the binary uses some of those library extentions), there's a 2da decompiler or two on the links there.

Download that, and read the readme.. figure out how to go about decompiling any 2da files you need into text. Once you do that, you can put them in the override folder as text (still with the .2da extention though) and edit them with notepad (or whatever else you use for plain text editing).

The big thing to keep in mind if you edit them "freehand" like this is to not mess up the formatting. The actual number of spaces between colums doesn't actually matter, but it's nice to keep them neat. And you cannot separate the fields with tabs, it has to be actual space characters (at least one).

There's a whack of other rules.. like don't delete any rows, use **** for any field you don't have a specific value for.. (which normally means "use default value for this field") etc... But I can get more into that junk as you need to know. Don't want to shove too much on your plate all at once. ;)

-Kitty
 Stator
01-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I am being a bit lazy at the moment but there is a .zip file on this forum that contains all of the .2da files. They are already decompiled. I will do a search as soon as I stop being lazy. It is on this forum though.

Stator
 Psycho Monkey
01-29-2004, 2:04 AM
I'll try the decompiler, even though it sounds like the hard way, it may be the only way I'll be able to do it. You allways seem to have the answers Kitty Kitty, thank you yet again. :heart3:
Page: 1 of 1