Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Getting Started...Really

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi_Vogel
01-26-2004, 9:52 AM
I apologise to anyone who reads Mapping and Modelling forums. I'm trying not to be annoying with this idioting request. But having searched the Internet and not come up with what I'm looking for, help.

I'm doing a skin, a saber and a map to decide which of the three I like best and then focus on that area.

But I can't find a decent tutorial on GDK Radiant for Mapping. I can find one on some obscure JKRadiant, which has a 3D view, but not on GDK Radiant (can't find a 3D view!).

More precisely a mapping tutorial that relates to making a stupidly simple map first and then getting it into JA.

Any help would be majorly appreciated.
Thanks and MTFBWY
 Kengo
01-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I can't believe you've looked that hard if you couldn't find this definative, nay legendary set of beginner to intermediate JO tutorials which will work just fine for JA!

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/)
 Jedi_Vogel
01-26-2004, 12:31 PM
That's JKRadiant not GDKRadiant. If you can get me a 3D View in GDK Radiant you deserve a gold star :)
 Jedi_Vogel
01-26-2004, 12:39 PM
And MP Maps created for JKII will work fine for JA? (cos I tried copying a map I dl-ded from the JKII to JA and I got 7 Sound Errors)
 WadeV1589
01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Not always...but the tutorials will work fine for mapping in GTK (not GDK :p) Radiant, JK2Radiant may be a different program but it has to use the same entities and structure for maps!

More tutorials (most not beginner) can be found here: http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=25)
 Jedi_Vogel
01-26-2004, 1:36 PM
Thank you :)

And the way o find what you're looking for is not to think your name for it is the correct one *blushes* 3D view is in fact Camera View, which I have finally found.

Only thing is textures don't load :( ne'mind I'll figure it slowly :)#
Thanks again :)
 Kengo
01-26-2004, 2:35 PM
It is a real pain to get the hang of at first, no doubt, but use those tutorials me and Wade gave ya links to and you should be able to master it, with some patience! Good luck :)
 Jedi_Vogel
01-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks :) you're all so supportive here at LF, really appreciate it.

Managed to make a basic room yesterday (forfeited sleep, but there you go!)

I will continue to work through the tutorials (I have them book marked ;)) but I do have a question.

Why in GTK (not GDK *cough*) do the textures for JA not load correctly?

Thanks and I apologise if initially I keep bombarding you with newb questions (*can't believe he's a newb again :p*, I think they call it learning or someting)

:)
 Leslie Judge
01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
What do you mean by "not load correctly"? What happens? What can you see?

Which version of GtkRadiant do you have? Have you installed it correctly by giving it the proper paths?
 Jedi_Vogel
01-28-2004, 8:03 AM
Radiant 1.3.12.

well, I made this simple room in JKRadiant just so I could work through a tutorial. Then I loaded it into GTK Radiant as that's what I'd like to use and none of the textures load. Each one says "texture image not found"
and yes, I tried reinstalling it once already and I've got the correct file paths. At least I believe I have *L*
 Leslie Judge
01-28-2004, 10:02 AM
So you probably made the map with JO textures, didn't you?

It is very important that you select Jedi Outcast as the game because JA doesn't have all the JO textures. Please chack Game Settings in Edit / Preferences.

Other possibility is to retexture it. :)
 Jedi_Vogel
01-28-2004, 2:09 PM
No, I selected JO from the list to try it out and it still came out as blank. Anyhow I DL-d the latest version of GTKRadiant and I hope it'll work.

No but really, none of the textures loaded from the archives (.pk3) not-a-one and I have <b>no</b> clue why.

It's an interesting journing, learning a new art :)
 Leslie Judge
01-28-2004, 2:44 PM
[i]No but really, none of the textures loaded from the archives (.pk3) not-a-one and I have no clue why.[/B]Neither do I. :)

I hope the new install will help. If not, let us know.
 Druid Bremen
01-29-2004, 6:52 AM
All right, perhaps you just give us the file paths, and we check if its correct?
 Jedi_Vogel
01-29-2004, 8:21 AM
I DL-d the latest version of GTKRadiant and the textures seem to be loading just fine now (both JK and JA) so I'm back on track to learn to map again.

I guess it's back to the tutorials...

... when I take my dinner break that is :D
Page: 1 of 1