Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help W/ Spot Lights

Page: 1 of 1
 JeeMonkey
01-20-2004, 5:59 PM
hey all. in my map i have a waterfall that i want to illuminte, meaning i want it to look at though a spot light is shinging down from inside the waterfall so just the stream of water is lit up. i tried using 1 light entity and connecting it to about 20 info/nulls and i made the radius of the spot light the width of the waterfall. but everytime i compile the map, it says the info/nulls can not be in the caulk/non-solid waterfall. so i move them out infront of the waterfall. then when i load the map the info/nulls have moved into the void or the light just doesnt show. i checked everything about the intensity of the light, and the brightness, but nothing is working.

**************QUESTION***************

1) how do i put a info/null inside a /caulk/nonsolid so the water illumintes?

2) how do i get 1 light to aim at many info/nulls?

3) why are the info/nulls moving into the void when i compile my map????
 idontlikegeorge
01-20-2004, 8:28 PM
Originally posted by JeeMonkey
1) how do i put a info/null inside a /caulk/nonsolid so the water illumintes?

"it says the info/nulls can not be in the caulk/non-solid waterfall."
You can't.

2) how do i get 1 light to aim at many info/nulls?
You can't. When something is targetted at an info_null, all it does, is set that entity's angles to face where the info_null would be.

3) why are the info/nulls moving into the void when i compile my map????
They don't. info_null entities are not passed from the .map to .bsp - so they never even exist in the playable map - they aren't "moving" out of it.

If you want to try it with spotlights, use several light entities, and have them pointing at info_nulls between them and the face of the waterfall.

Personally, I think the effect you want to create would be better using shaders. But I'm not very knowledgable on shaders, so I can't be specific as to how you could do it.
Page: 1 of 1