Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A small idea...

Page: 1 of 1
 Kaffe
01-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to scripting and modding. My skills limit themselves to one feeble attempt at a custom level for Dark Forces 2 and a play-area modules in Neverwinter.

I don't if it's been discussed already but I guess we can safely assume that with no Toolset or SDK it will be hard to make any real consistent mods for Kotor. However, I started thinking a but. After reading that Kotor has a lot of things common with NWN, but Toolset only really works with a bout 50-70% of the game, isn't there another aspect to this as well? The toolset works 100% for NWN...

Bioware and Lucasarts also officially says there are no plans on an expansion, neither is there a sequel planned (but rumours about a prequel...). They have ideas for patches and Live Contents (for X-box) though.

What I'm reaching to here is that if we want our Network or Internet play, why not try to do an extensive module for NWN instead? Jut an idea. Or are there plans for big mods for Kotor already?
 Lil' Jawa
01-18-2004, 1:48 PM
Well obviously the nwn toolset must work 100% with nwn, and obviously it cannot be fully compatible with kotor with all it's differences.

Did valve eller say there would be a half-life 2 until we suddenly heard of it at the beginning of 2003? no, there were just rumors until then. They aren't announcing anything because they are working hard on Jade Empire and probably more nwn expansions so it is the only reasonable move that hey wait and not announce anything to create hype.

And personally I wouldn't want to see any multiplayer support for kotor especiallly much it is good as it is, a mod for nwn wouldn't be the same thing at all - and yes there are plans for bigger mods for kotor. Think about it though, a community doesn't just grow up in a day we have only been modding for a month or two how can you expect so much in so little time I cannot understand.

just my 5 euros..
 Kaffe
01-18-2004, 4:04 PM
I never meant to critisice the discussions of these boards. However, as the gaming industry looks today I've learnt not to count on everything, even the unexpected. While we can expect that a game such as Kotor, which obviously i selling well, will probably get a sequel. I'ld rather focus on what can be done now, and not what's going to be done by someone else next year.

And I meant for todays modding needs. It was just an idea and not an universal statement.

I never claimed that it would be a matter of weeks either. A module for NWN or major mod for KOTOR is probably a matter of a year or two as it looks today. Seems like most people are barely getting their acts together for basic scripting, re-modelling and texturing. I didn't expect a full TC done by now, I just wanted feedback or contribute with an idea...
 somrandomguy
01-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Actually, what I'm really interested in is the possibility of porting KOTOR graphics/combat systems/ etc. into NWN and using it to make Star Wars MODs. Highly unlikely to work, but if it did it would be awesome.
 eidospsogos
01-19-2004, 12:18 AM
i'm pretty sure that's what he was suggesting in the first post. was the possibility of making star wars mods for NWN.
 somrandomguy
01-19-2004, 1:39 AM
I feel illiterate now.
 Kaffe
01-19-2004, 4:42 PM
Since NWN and Kotor doesn't run with the same graphic engine, we can't do too much in between.

However, we have a toolset and SDK for NWN. But not for Kotor. It would probably be easier to make a SW mod for NWN, than to try and make a multiplay functionf or KOTOR. If we figure out a way to export and import and adapt at least basic textures, we would be well on our way. I know Battle Animations can be changed in NWN, just downloaded a few modules to do so, have yet to try them out though.

I gave the idea about network play a second thought, Lil' Jawa. And while you're right at Kotor being a pretty lengthy game it still deserves something to give a more lengthy experience, after seeing all cut-scenes and all dialogues, there is barely 10 hours of gameplay left, depending on how throrough you are though.. Since either LucasArts or Bioware doesn't want us to mod, our only treat then is to figure out how to do so. And wait for mods or expansions of course, but as you said, their busy with that.

I'm also quite aware that it won't be the same. At all. Battle animations can be changed, but it probably wouldn't feel like Kotor in the end. It was just an idea. I just wanted to bring it into perspective. Might lead to something at least.
 somrandomguy
01-19-2004, 8:47 PM
Actually, porting the graphics engine, while a huge violation of the EULA, would not be entirely out of reach. A massive decompiling of NWN and KOTOR, plus an extensive look at their respective source code, could produce something. That would, however, require at least 6-8 months of intensive labor if not more.
 Lil' Jawa
01-19-2004, 9:20 PM
It's not that i'm against multiplayer or anything, I mean playing through KOTOR togheter with a few buds would be awesome - the perfect game - but a such an undertaking wouldn't exactly be effortless and i've seen many very promising mod projects eventually fail an die out because the team took on more than they could handle, and many often lose interest in it altogheter too.
To anyone who is planning a conversion to nwn though; best of luck to you mate :)
Page: 1 of 1