Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Looks Like We'll Be Visiting The DOA One More Time...

Page: 1 of 1
 Guybrush122
01-15-2004, 7:47 PM
Yup, Grim Fandango 2 may actually be creeping its way towards production! I was recently navigating the Scummbar, you see, and on their site I came across a page confirming Monkey Island 5. It was on this page where an image was hosted showing all definate/possible LucasArts classics remakes. On the list was Sam $ Max 2 (of course, of course, we're all psyched), Full Throttle 2 ('Tis a shame she was cancled...), Monkey Island 5 (finally! more belly-busting pirate antics), and...that's right...Grim Fandango 2. Now this was my own observation and I'm not quite sure if this has been noticed/discussed/adressed yet. However, this opens up a pretty juicy discussion doesn't it? Thoughts/comments/ideas? Do you approve?

The page is here: http://www.scummbar.com/games/monkey5/)

And the enlarged image is here (http://www.scummbar.com/imageviewer/imageviewer2.php?dep=Monkey5Rumors&image=thumbA.gif&goback=&showtype=).
 Schmatz
01-16-2004, 9:00 AM
We've seen it before, it'd be amazing if it were more than a rumor, but that's all we have right now.

Keep chasing that dream.

My personal opinion is that they shouldn't attempt a second game, to save the game's name. Full Throttle was saved by the cancellation of Full Throttle 2. Sam and Max, well, we're yet to find out. But, just like movies, a lot of game sequels just aren't up to par and are usually disappointing.

But what do I know, I shouldn't even be here!
 timfandango
01-18-2004, 12:16 PM
the problem wit grim fandango 2 is that nearly all the cool characters wit an edge were wiped out in the first game (don copal, domino, hector, salvador, lola, olivia. which leaves us with MAX who runs the cat race, NICK (the lawyer we all love 2 h8),police officer of rubacava (another hateful *&^%$), lupe (ur old receptinist), EVA (don's old secretary), CHARLIE(the small guy in the green suit) and of course meche and glottis.

i would like an idea wit MAX but first u need 2 find a way 2 lure manny back from the ninth underworld; possibly hearing that glottis is in trouble wit someone in the land of the dead deciding 2 take him back with him, then rerurning 2 discover that thy r notm allowed back in 2 the underworld. thus leading to a conpiracy bla bla bla. needs a lot more developement, i know...

i also heard an idea to have 2 main characters (like in RE2 claire and leon etc). that thy would have glottis 2 start with and then manny later on who is forced back into the LOTD due 2 glottis mesin things up. again, needs developement.
 PrinceOfDarknes
01-18-2004, 6:17 PM
Nick's dead. Watch the scene when Manny tells the guy at the Gate to The 9th Underworld that the tickets were stolen. It shows a train with Nick on it turning into a dragon and going below the tracks.
 timfandango
01-19-2004, 2:16 PM
o yeah! thats right man, so whaty do ya think of makin max the next big bad boss dude. and his right hand man that the police officer dude??
 Thrik
01-19-2004, 2:40 PM
Nah. Although Max was definitely a shady charactter, the impression I got was that he was at least honourable and wouldn't really fit the bill for an evil villian like hector.

He's like a neutral powerful figure in the game, not favouring doing good or bad.
 timfandango
01-19-2004, 4:11 PM
thats true but then there s always character developement 2 rely on, anyways i dont think that there will b a gf2 due 2 the story it left us with in the first, altho i would love 2 c an updated version (graphicswise manily) 4 full throttle and grim fandango, u know?
 Guybrush122
01-20-2004, 1:56 AM
I certainly hope they're won't be a sequel. But if there was, of course (even the ones who despise the GF2 possibility), I'd buy and play it. I don't think it would revisit any characters we've seen in the original. I'm just praying someone will update Grim Fandango's graphics and sound etc. so it's nice and clean. It would make Lucasarts a bundle, and it'd be a helluva lot fun to play. Course, that's just a pipe dream.
 Tall Guy
01-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Guybrush122
Yup, Grim Fandango 2 may actually be creeping its way towards production! I was recently navigating the Scummbar, you see, and on their site I came across a page confirming Monkey Island 5. It was on this page where an image was hosted showing all definate/possible LucasArts classics remakes. On the list was Sam $ Max 2 (of course, of course, we're all psyched), Full Throttle 2 ('Tis a shame she was cancled...), Monkey Island 5 (finally! more belly-busting pirate antics), and...that's right...Grim Fandango 2. Now this was my own observation and I'm not quite sure if this has been noticed/discussed/adressed yet. However, this opens up a pretty juicy discussion doesn't it? I think this is a case of the magazine assuming too much in the case of gf, nothing has really been said about it :(
 timfandango
01-21-2004, 6:33 PM
im 4 GF2: probably is not a good idea but what da heck right? altho i agree wit guybrush i would prefer 2 c a total upgrade of grim fandango than a sequel =D
 Yufster
01-21-2004, 7:46 PM
The only way I would ever, ever back Grim Fandango 2 is if Tim was project leader again, which isn't going to happen. I mean, it was a huge, huge job to make that game, and I'd say that Schafer probably wouldn't do a sequel even if he was offered the chance by Lucasarts who own the rights, because the sheer level of work involved would drive him insane.er.

Insaner.
 timfandango
02-08-2004, 1:08 PM
does any1 know what Tim has go on to do (or done)since he left Lucas Arts in 2000? early retirement, mid-life crisis or what hav u?
 JofaGuht
02-10-2004, 4:01 AM
Tim Schafer left lucasarts and is running his business Double Fine (www.doublefine.com) where he is making an awesome-looking game called Psychonauts which should be coming out on Xbox Christmas 2004. Great thing, too. Supposedly there was a lot of more trippy and messed up things Schafer wanted to do in his games at lucasarts, so it's sort of like he's gone independent.

------------------------------------------

With all that aside, I honestly think the only way a gf2 would work is if it surrounded completely different brand new characters. We've done Manny's legacy, and I really think it ended in an extremely great way and it would be horrible to make a sequel to that. Now, all I want is to return to the world. I'd much rather see Rubacava again than any of the characters. And we could explore new places too. Like, we never got to see Puerto Zapato. I'd love to check it out.
 timfandango
02-10-2004, 3:35 PM
yeah thats true, but i think what some people r attemptin to do is to c manny back in a sequel bcause really, he is lovable character yeah? and findin a replacement main character would be like replacing solid snake with raiden in mgs. personally i would like a return of manny; again i emphasize "personally"; bcause quite basically i would like to see mannys past, as i felt that grim fanfango (a legendary story) could have been made a good bit longer.....
 Wersus
02-18-2004, 8:07 PM
Can't belive there's still life in a GFD forum after all these years... :cool:
Seems to me im not the only fan who haven't got over that game yet ;)
And of course i vote for GFD 2, no matter if it's nowhere near as good as the orginal one.
Although i think that they are raping MI with all those sequels, I still wish they would make a couple more. Just to see what happens to Guybrush next ;)
And the same thing with GFD (of course i don't wish them to rape the game, but you get the point... =P )
 chrisbailey
02-21-2004, 7:16 PM
I'm not sure if it would work. Obviously, Manny and Meche are in their eternal rest now.

In addition to that Grim Fandango was a story - it told of the crime and corruption in the land of the dead. By the end of the game, the story is finished and all is well once again. I'm not sure how they could continue it.

I'd buy it though!
 James Isaac
02-22-2004, 8:13 AM
I don't think they should make a Grim Fandango 2. One of the reasons it was good was that it was origional. I think LucasArts should do a completely new and origional adventure. And that would still 'save' Grim Fandango.
 VampireNaomi
02-23-2004, 8:22 AM
I belong in the band of people who want to have GF2. It wouldn't necessarily have to be bad...

I mean, the Godfather part II was a sequel and rocked. :D
 JofaGuht
02-24-2004, 12:19 AM
I am definitely not in the group of people who want a story expansion sequel. It would really ruin a lot. I think that Tim should lead the project, but if it were just a completely different plotline with different characters in the same world, that wouldn't really need to have Tim Schafer to lead it. It is not his story, it's just his world. Of course, without Tim it would suck. I doubt most people (especially other project leaders and Lucasarts) wouldn't be able to pull off a good game, but it wouldn't be a complete bastardization of the original because there is no storyline to rule.

And think aboutthe options you could explore in another four-year journey. You could be a mechanic at the Gate of Eternal rest and have his four-year journey. Or (my main Idea) a sailor or waiter on the cruise to the eternal rest, but getting stuck for a year and having the passangers go insane and having the boat corrupt though each year. That would be cool.

Basically, no GF2s in my preferances, just having a name with a subtitle "In the Land of the Dead" or something like that.
 VampireNaomi
02-24-2004, 5:58 AM
Originally posted by JofaGuht

Or (my main Idea) a sailor or waiter on the cruise to the eternal rest, but getting stuck for a year and having the passangers go insane and having the boat corrupt though each year. That would be cool.

That has to be the greatest idea for GF2 that I have ever encountered.
 pleto4_ryan
02-25-2004, 7:20 AM
Originally posted by VampireNaomi
I belong in the band of people who want to have GF2. It wouldn't necessarily have to be bad...

I mean, the Godfather part II was a sequel and rocked. :D
 VampireNaomi
02-27-2004, 7:11 AM
Grim Fandango 2 is actually on its way. I know that, I promise that! How do I know? Well, I had a vision last night:

I am going to become very inmportant and filthy rich. I'll use my fortune to buy LucasArts. Then I'll fire those who came up with the "Let's make a ton of SW games! Bahahaha!" idea and hire new people with original ideas to replace them. And since I am the owner I can force them to make GF2.

Don't try the "GF2 is not a good idea" crap with me then! Muahaha! :D ... ... okay...
 Guybrush122
02-28-2004, 4:20 PM
If there were to be a Grim Fandango two, I'd love for it to be an entirely seperate story set in the same world. Something really swanky and noir-ish. That boat idea is a great idea, for instance.

But if they brought back Manny and Mece or Glottis or really ANY character from the original, I'd be very very very disappointed.
 VampireNaomi
02-29-2004, 5:43 AM
You have a point. I think I'd like a new Manny/Meche adventure, but I have a feeling that they wouldn't get all the original voice actors back. And that would suck.

And there are only few things that I hate more than new people replacing old voice actors.

What did you do to Valmont!?
 JediLearner
03-14-2004, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by Guybrush122
If there were to be a Grim Fandango two, I'd love for it to be an entirely seperate story set in the same world. Something really swanky and noir-ish. That boat idea is a great idea, for instance.

But if they brought back Manny and Mece or Glottis or really ANY character from the original, I'd be very very very disappointed.

Yeah id say that too. They should do a game with new story, set in the land of the dead. What about you are one of the clients, and then somehow your ticket gets messed up, and then you have to go the 4-year journey of the soul. You could visit old places like Rubacava, DOD in EL Marrow, but also new places like; The whole El marrow(on the day of dead, imagine going through the festival), The ways from ElMarrow to Rubacava, The sea of Lament(upside), The cat race track, more of Rubacava, more of the inkapyramid, the ninth underworld etc. What do you think of that?

They should keep the gameplay the same way as number one. :fett:

And if you like to have number 2 you can sign here; http://www.petitiononline.com/Grim2/petition.html)
 JofaGuht
03-15-2004, 4:58 AM
I think the new place to explore would have to be Puerto Zapato. I wouldn't like their to be a sequel that much, but I want to SEE that place. I felt cheated when we skipped it in the game.
 JediLearner
03-15-2004, 8:15 AM
I don't remember what Puerto Zapo is?
Anyway you should also visit Onboard one of the ships.

I think it would be a good idea if the game was about a new client who:

Option 1: Loses his nun and have to figure a way to the 9nth underworld
Option 2: You don't have any ticket and therefore must walk the 4-year journey of the soul! :deathii:
 JofaGuht
03-15-2004, 8:43 PM
Puerto Zapato is the place where the agents invaded your ship, you were supposed to get off there and search for supplies, obviously your fate atawited you at the edged of the world instead.

I think your idea maybe a bit repetitive to the original, but, in the alternate universe where they would consider a sequel, it would have to have the four year aspect. In the game, I loved going back and talking to people about what went on in the missing years.
 Crazyearl
03-20-2004, 6:06 PM
I'm not too sure about the idea of a sequel. Firstly, Manny and Meche and the little children have moved onto the next world, so it is likely that the next world is far different (something I liked about GF was the artwork and the land of the dead/jazzy influence).

If you introduce new characters but same settings many people would be satisfied but lets face it, Manny is the heart and soul of Grim Fandango. People will miss him as the main character.

Since quite a lot of the main cast and important characters have been killed off, it may seem kinda awkward to continue.

That's all just my opinion.
 Samnmax221
03-22-2004, 12:46 AM
I need that shady underworldd touch to the game that made it so Casablanca'ish
 Dawidos
04-05-2004, 9:53 PM
I'm in the group who want Grim Fandango 2. I think that sequel could change everything. With new characters and story, but in the same world we will have a great adventure game. I suppose Lucasarts will make sequel of it. Why ? I feel that.
 VampireNaomi
04-06-2004, 11:52 AM
I had yet another odd vision... LucasArts made GF 2, but it was a first person shooting. Manny's mission was to run from room to room and shoot everything that moved. And no plot! :eek:
 JofaGuht
04-06-2004, 9:20 PM
That sounds like what they did to D. D was this really great, creepy, puzzle/adventure game that came out on Sega Saturn/PS1/PC. It was the scariest adventure game of its time. Then dreamcast came out with a first-person-shooter sequel. Our main character never even pulled out a weapon in the first one.
 timfandango
04-09-2004, 3:38 PM
hey all, its pretty amazin 2 c that this thread is not dead and gone yet.

......mmmmm......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...u know when a game has this effect on you, its a scary feeling.

anyways.i gotta an idea.what if thy re-make grim fandango 1 and add extras in such a style that it doesnt drag out the story but a satisying length 2 help us enjoy the noire experience like never b4.
 Ghinn
04-10-2004, 8:29 AM
I had an idea for GF2:
You work for the DOD. Manny's legacy lives on. People regard him as a hero. Something happens, haven't quite figured ouy what. You need to go to the ninth underworld and find Manny (you gotta do a bunch of stuff to be able to get in there: get a ticket, or maybe a visitor's pass, etc.). You meet some random person, turns out to be Manny. You gotta convince him to come back and help you out. Glottis makes an appearance (he's the man), and yes, you can visit puerto zapato. It's a work in progress. More when I think of it.
 James Isaac
04-10-2004, 2:19 PM
Cool idea.

So you won't ever see manny in the game?
 Thrik
04-10-2004, 3:04 PM
Although almost certain not to ever happen, it'd work best if it were set in the same world, but with a new main character.

Manny has moved on, his part in this twisted tale is over. But there are many like him in the land of the dead. To make sure it still feels like it's a sequel there'd have to be plenty of tie-ins and references to Grim Fandango, such as visiting different parts of the same areas (imagine visiting a part of Rubacava we never saw before, not being able to visit any of the old places from the previous game but still see them in the distance and such).

Characters who knew / knew of Manny and his comerades could also provide interesting references. For example, talking to some guy in a city could turn out to be somebody who was a regular in the late Calavera Cafe, and have some stuff to say about our previous hero.

You know, stuff like that. Of course, this is all wishful thinking.. but it keeps me busy.
 VampireNaomi
04-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Thrik
Although almost certain not to ever happen, it'd work best if it were set in the same world, but with a new main character.

Manny has moved on, his part in this twisted tale is over. But there are many like him in the land of the dead. To make sure it still feels like it's a sequel there'd have to be plenty of tie-ins and references to Grim Fandango, such as visiting different parts of the same areas (imagine visiting a part of Rubacava we never saw before, not being able to visit any of the old places from the previous game but still see them in the distance and such).

Characters who knew / knew of Manny and his comerades could also provide interesting references. For example, talking to some guy in a city could turn out to be somebody who was a regular in the late Calavera Cafe, and have some stuff to say about our previous hero.

You know, stuff like that. Of course, this is all wishful thinking.. but it keeps me busy.

You know, that is brilliant. It would give me the same happy/longing feeling that I felt when Manny visited Rubacava the second time.
 timfandango
04-12-2004, 9:50 AM
awww yeah that was such a cool part of the game. i always wanted 2 c what happened 2 the calavera cafe when manny returned the second time 2 rubacava.....it was so tight on lupe, after all of that crap she went thru with the coat check system....
 GendoTheGreat
04-14-2004, 6:37 AM
I'm not exactly anti-sequel, but on the other hand I'm even further from being pro-sequel. What I would like to see is the release of some kind of extended production portfolio, with concept art, music, storylines, deleted scenes etc, with maybe some posters and other bric-a-brac thrown in. An official re-release of the OST would also be nice, even better if some of the tracks that never made the original print were included.
 Isair
04-26-2004, 6:11 AM
Even though I may want a sequel, I believe it won't hold as much as the first. I think the first was a terrific game which would be very difficult to attempt to make a sequel to.
 Sally J Limones
05-03-2004, 9:19 PM
Folks, there's lots of room for a "sequel". I can think of several choices for GF2.
1. Forget a sequel, do a prequel. How the hell DID LeMans get into power??? Centre it on that! Yes folks, you CAN center a game on the bad guy. Which means you could see the beginnings of Salvador Limones (God bless him), and just about every other character.
2. Run a game who's story takes place in around the same time as the first game. Maybe run it a year ahead or behind GF. That way, what Manny does in the original has a direct impact on what happens in GF2. And you can include some characters that are gone at the end of GF.
3. A sequel. Remember, there could be quite a mess to clean up after the sprouting of Hector LeMans. And what happens to the LSA? And Eva? The DOD would have to be completely restructured. Eva would make a great new main character.
Cheers! Sal.
 VampireNaomi
05-04-2004, 9:09 AM
Sally, I love you. I think the second idea would really rock. Heck, I think anything has the chance to rock if it's done with taste.
Page: 1 of 1