Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Botrouting help

Page: 1 of 1
 Teancum
01-07-2004, 9:36 AM
I'm working on some botrouting for a CTF favorite of mine from JO, "Kashhyk Tree Canopy". Thing is, I really stink at it. I'm not sure how to make the bots have different routes. I don't know if I should make routes from each spawn point, or just close enough so they can see one when they spawn. I'm not even sure if I need different routes for each team. Anyone?
 wedge2211
01-07-2004, 3:59 PM
You can't make bots have different routes, the best you can do for a CTF map is make a single route that weaves back and forth between the two sides, with camping spots at defensive points so that bots with camping properties will stay behind to guard. It's best to have waypoints near spawn points, so that bots spawning there will have a place to immediately link to the route, rather than being disjointed and separated from the rest of the route. For a complete tutorial on the subject, click here (http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=1).
 Teancum
01-07-2004, 6:59 PM
Okay, but I still am curious on how to do a few things regarding CTF. If I start from the red base, make a path to the blue and back, and assuming I've made branches from spawnpoints to the main route for both teams, how are the blue guys gonna know where to start? Will they just pick up at say, #60 or whatever's closest, and count up until the end, then go back?
 RalKon
01-08-2004, 3:38 PM
I hope no one minds, but I am gonna add a question here...

How do you get the waypoints to connect through a teleport... everything I have tried doesnt seem to be working... I know I got this to work before, but I cant remember how I did it.. I have been using noclip to put myself in the middle of the tele port and then adding the way point, but that dont seem to work either.. . :confused:
 WadeV1589
01-08-2004, 3:55 PM
From Raven:
Something to Keep in Mind:

1. If you want BOTS to use the teleporters then you have to place a waypoint in each of the trigger_teleport brushes to force the BOTS into the teleporter. They do not recognize teleporters and will not use them intelligently on their own. If you are going to use teleporters with BOTS you will have to save your botroute in the following manner:

1. Type this command bot_wp_distconnect 0, when you are ready to save out your botroute.

2. After the above command has been set, you can type bot_wp_save. If you do not use the distconnect command before saving then the engine will give a connection error when it counts up to the first trigger_teleport and place a new waypoint that will tell the BOT to turn around before it reaches the waypoint within the trigger. When you are done saving the botroute you can go back to connection mode by replacing the 0 with a 1 in the distconnect command.
 wedge2211
01-08-2004, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by Teancum
Okay, but I still am curious on how to do a few things regarding CTF. If I start from the red base, make a path to the blue and back, and assuming I've made branches from spawnpoints to the main route for both teams, how are the blue guys gonna know where to start? Will they just pick up at say, #60 or whatever's closest, and count up until the end, then go back?

What I do is make a route that loops back and forth from blue to red a couple different ways (so the bots use multiple paths), and then connect it back up at the end. It's always a good idea to place your last waypoint near your first one, so bots can connect and go around the circle. Bots can always go backwards from any point--unless you put one-way waypoints in. They can also jump from one part of the route to another if the jump isn't over too great a distance.
 RalKon
01-08-2004, 8:41 PM
Great... thanks for the help :) ... it still tries to make the wp in the teleport point backwards, so the bot comes out on the otherside running backwards, but I think I can work with that.... I will just have to make sure he dont run backwards into the teleport he came out of ... LOL

thanks again
Page: 1 of 1