Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

scripting questions

Page: 1 of 1
 shukrallah
01-06-2004, 1:02 PM
I finally download the SDK, i had tried before but the DL kept cutting off. So i install it to c:\projects\etc.... (the default) then i set up behaved the best i could (i think) the new commands rock! also, i set up modview and and looked at the new animations. 1 thing i noticed though, none of the scripts loaded in behaved... the single player scripts. So i opened them in notepad, and saved one of them as a .txt file. Then it loaded. Is there anyway i can open in behaved without changing them all to .txt files? Also, i noticed there were animations called both_cinematic1-50.. but i dont see them in modview.. are they there? Also, does minlight work in MP? I tried it but i dont think it worked... any help would be appreciated. thanks
 tFighterPilot
01-06-2004, 3:52 PM
About the animations you don't see in modview, that's because they are in a different _humanoid.gla

You see, about every cutscene has a special _humanoid.gla You can find them in assets1.pk3
 lassev
01-06-2004, 9:27 PM
How do you actually study these additional animations in ModView? My quick scan didn't reveal any options to import additional animation files. Or can they only be used through scripting but not so easily previewed?
 Jedi Luke
01-06-2004, 9:36 PM
Hi LukeSkywalker,

I know what you mean. All I've done is set BehavEd (from JKA SDK, not JK2 SDK) to always open files with a .icarus extension. If you wanna specifically view the text, then click 'Export' in BehavEd.

Have fun! :)

EDIT: Someone, if they've got some free time (I've got no free time :p) should right up what every single command in BehavEd functions when a script is run in-game.
 shukrallah
01-06-2004, 10:08 PM
thanks jedi luke, ill try that out :)

btw, someone at www.map-center.com) did something like that i think (made an icarus tutorial thingy) sorry i dont have a proper link right now... its on the forums. I think it just says what they do. I was thinking about making a tutorial that explains how to use certain other commands (the main ones) like sound, move, rotate, animations, etc... and also posting links to other scripting tutorials (like kengo's)

same thing here lassev, some of those animations were the best in the game. And there are 50 of them! I dont want to make a scripts to run all 50, just to see what they are. Even if i did, i wouldnt remember what all 50 do... so i would need to keep checking back in JA, but its a lot easier in modview :) i wish raven had at least written a little discription next to those animations (like they with others)
 idontlikegeorge
01-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Icarus Document
http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1605)

Icarus fields
http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1609)

Icarus fields extended
http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1611)

I'd like to study the new animations, but can't get ModView to work... oh well. Can you load .gla files in ModView?

Also, how does the game know to use the "special" .gla? Is it just used for the whole map, and refers to the directories "_humanoid_mapname" name?
 shukrallah
01-07-2004, 12:25 AM
no, mod view only loads .GLM and something else.

to get it to work:

Extract models\players\_humanoid\_humanoid.gla, animations.cfg, and animevents.cfg from the assets1.pk3 file, to your gamedata/base directory (keep the dirctory)
Next, extract all the files from a model to the base directory (all the files)
load up modview and find the model's directory, open it up, and load the model.glm file

different models have different animations in mod view. for example, the rancor has a whole different list of animations... well sort of. They just look different. Like some will have the same name (like melee...) but will look different. BTW, a few of the both_cin animations are with the rancor...

Also, how does the game know to use the "special" .gla? Is it just used for the whole map, and refers to the directories "_humanoid_mapname" name?

Well, i assume that whatever the mapname is, is what it will work for... like models\players\_humaniod_hoth2 would work for the 2nd hoth level.

How do you load up .gla files? I know the animations.cfg and animevents.cfg load in notepad...
 idontlikegeorge
01-07-2004, 1:14 AM
Well, I always extract every file from the game assets packages.

Anyway, my specific problem with ModView is, whenever I attempt to load any .glm file, it says this: "Filesystem call made without initialization"

I partially fixed this, by selecting to view bots, and it couldn't find them... so I manually told the program to look in my game base directory... so now it appears to load the vanilla JA models. So it was probably something in the setup for ModView.

Anyway... if these new "special" animations are map-specific, would there be a way to add the extra lines into a base animation config file? Or are the animations stored in the .gla?

I don't know to much about modelling... so is the .gla the file that stores the basic "bone" structure of models, and contains the animations for it (how the parts of the model move, and where)?

And, why did Raven make these extra .gla files? What would be wrong with just having every animation stored in one file like in Jedi Outcast? And will it hinder a modder's abilities to use all of the new animations?
 Jedi Luke
01-07-2004, 2:08 AM
Skinning in a mapping forum....*shudders*.....evil......:p

Thanks for the links george, i wasn't aware that something like this had already been done.
 Leslie Judge
01-07-2004, 9:22 AM
To load GLAs from the other dirs check "Edit / Prompt for GLA overrides during GLM load" then load a glm file. It will ask if you want to override the default GLA. Choose yes, then type in the path for it.
 keshire
01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
And yes, the gla is the bone and animation info. The reason there's different ones is becuase mp only uses the main one to save on the time it takes to load it up. Granted you could merge them all, but I wouldn't recommend it.
 lassev
01-07-2004, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge
To load GLAs from the other dirs check "Edit / Prompt for GLA overrides during GLM load" then load a glm file. It will ask if you want to override the default GLA. Choose yes, then type in the path for it.

You are the master, LJ.
 shukrallah
01-07-2004, 10:59 PM
thanks man! Ill check it out now! :D
Page: 1 of 1