Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Multiple suggestions: Basic and Enhanced

Page: 1 of 1
 Teancum
01-02-2004, 6:54 AM
1 - Basic: Tavion/Desann stances available in SP/MP, by default. I assume it's not that hard, the only problem I forsee is how the HUD handles it.

2 - Basic (maybe enhanced): New "Custom Model" section of the ingame startup MP menu. Simply put, it's based off the species menu, but the options are set different. For instance, robes on/off, etc. I could probably code the UI stuff, but the issue is more than likely a way for the game to differentiate between a species and a custom model. Perhaps it could search for the prefix "jedi_*" in the players folder, or the custom models could have a file like custom.txt, which is identical to playerchoice.txt in function, but the name differentiates the two. This way there can be model customization for MP, so people can have Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc, with custom clothes, faces, robes on/off, and still not bother the species setup in SP.

3 - Enhanced: "Multi-move" stance: This one folks will either love or hate, but basically, it makes every direction have 2-3 different swings. So, say you're standing still: The stance will play still anim 1, then 2, then 3, then back to 1. This could be done by mixing the current anims, but I'm not sure what would have to be done on the coding side.
 keshire
01-02-2004, 7:31 AM
2 - Basic (maybe enhanced): New "Custom Model" section of the ingame startup MP menu. Simply put, it's based off the species menu, but the options are set different. For instance, robes on/off, etc. I could probably code the UI stuff, but the issue is more than likely a way for the game to differentiate between a species and a custom model. Perhaps it could search for the prefix "jedi_*" in the players folder, or the custom models could have a file like custom.txt, which is identical to playerchoice.txt in function, but the name differentiates the two. This way there can be model customization for MP, so people can have Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc, with custom clothes, faces, robes on/off, and still not bother the species setup in SP.

This can be done simply by making more skin files.
Or in the case or robes. Torso.skins

Torso_a.skin has robe
Torso_b.skin has norobe

Make icon files for each and the CPC will display them as seperate.

Understood?
 Teancum
01-02-2004, 7:58 AM
Keshire - I guess I wasn't very clear. I know how to create species classes. What I'm saying is it would be very easy to create custom MP models, but if you did so, they would show up in SP too. So what I'm suggesting is a way to differentiate them from regular species, and updating the menu so you can choose to create a species, or choose to create a custom MP model, such as Obi-Wan, with team red skin, and robes on, hood down.

I search in VS.net and found that the playerchoice.txt was referenced in ui_main.c. I'm not sure what all the verbs mean, so I don't know how to create this separate option on my own. I can only do the menus. Here is an idea of the new menu I'm talking about:

--------------------------------- -----------------------------
| | | Custom Species |
| | ------------------------------
| Standard MP Skins | ------------------------------
| | | Custom Model |
| | ------------------------------
----------------------------------
------------------- ---------------------------
| saber menu | | Force Powers Menu |
------------------- ---------------------------

Notice how the two are separate. This way, in SP, I'm not choosing my species and come across "Obi-Wan Kenobi". That's what I'm getting at.
 keshire
01-02-2004, 8:04 AM
Oh, You want a seperate mp version of a CPC.

I really don't see the point.

Just rename the "species" text to "class" or "player" or something else.

Otherwise its just redundant.
 Teancum
01-02-2004, 8:17 AM
Well, the point is that I don't want recognizable characters to show up at the Academy. If I just renamed "Species" to "model" or whatever, that doesn't change the fact that a customizable model such as Obi-Wan would show up on my SP character menu. I know it's as simple as not selecting him, but I am very much a man of order, so if somoene were willing to make this simple modification in the dll, I'd be happy to do the menus.
 Marker0077
01-02-2004, 8:20 AM
Originally posted by Teancum
1 - Basic: Tavion/Desann stances available in SP/MP, by default. I assume it's not that hard, the only problem I forsee is how the HUD handles it.The HUD is a pretty simple fix, matter fact I think I'll work on the images for that sometime tonight because it's only a matter of time before someone needs it for something & I don't want to use bunk colors like the old system was.Originally posted by Teancum
2 - Basic (maybe enhanced): New "Custom Model" section of the ingame startup MP menu. Simply put, it's based off the species menu, but the options are set different. For instance, robes on/off, etc. I could probably code the UI stuff, but the issue is more than likely a way for the game to differentiate between a species and a custom model.I think the best thing to do is just add 2 more fields. That would be useful. I don't think adding a whole new menu is the way to go.

You also need to realize that alot of us are using the existing fields for other things than what they are labeled. For instance, with the Qui-Gon, Mace, Anakin, & Obi models (they all use the same body just different heads), most of the outfits bottoms wouldn't go with most of the other outfits tops so I just made the legs section choose whether or not to have a robe & which colored robe to choose. With the Yoda model, RA set it up so that the torso section chooses a variety of different hair to choose from (not styles, just how much hair, what color, etc; etc.) & the head chooses which skin to use & the legs chooses the actual outfit, etc; etc.Originally posted by Teancum
Perhaps it could search for the prefix "jedi_*" in the players folder, or the custom models could have a file like custom.txt, which is identical to playerchoice.txt in function, but the name differentiates the two.Well the CPC menus need work any way you look at it. You shouldn't have to edit the .menu files to add a new CPC, that's just lame. The head/torso/legs/extras field names should all be set in a configuration file, along with the name of the Species/Type.

There's nothing wrong with the existing CPC, it could just use a bit of tweaking & the "Species" field should really be called "Type".

With Cool Mods, the skins are going to be placed in "base" & it should work fine but unfortunately, this won't work with mods like OJP Enhanced because they use different .menu files than CM does & the CPC names won't show up, so we really should add some sort of CPC configuration file system. Naming the file extension CPC would be cool, like obi.cpc, etc; etc.
Originally posted by Teancum
3 - Enhanced: "Multi-move" stance: This one folks will either love or hate, but basically, it makes every direction have 2-3 different swings. So, say you're standing still: The stance will play still anim 1, then 2, then 3, then back to 1. This could be done by mixing the current anims, but I'm not sure what would have to be done on the coding side.When people swing a certain direction they get used to where the existing swings are going to hit, if you have the existing animations along with 2 new ones that gets used at random, I don't see this going over well.

As for them always being used in sequence (anim 1 is always first, anim 2 is always second, etc; etc.), I think that would be cool but we need to put in some new animations first.
 razorace
01-03-2004, 12:05 AM
1. We will see. I haven't really determined how I'm going to handle new stances yet.

2. I can see there being some usefulness in additional edit fields but I honestly don't know how the engine handles the merging of the different skin files. It could be an internal engine thing. Secondly, at the moment we don't have a lot of modeller support. We'd have to have a lot of people onboard for this to be used much.

3. I'll look into it. I'd like to have game allow dynamic move selection based on move start quadrant. I know the game does this to some degree as is but I'm not sure it's as dynamic as we'd like.
 Teancum
01-03-2004, 1:13 AM
Thanks for the reply Razorace. As far as the 2-3 swings per move stance, I was thinking mostly of idle/forward/backward moves. I know other people use side moves as combos.
Page: 1 of 1