Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Origin of "Lamer"

Page: 1 of 1
 sup3rsnail
12-31-2003, 2:11 PM
[/rant] Why, Oh, WHY, Is every god damn server filled with people screaming "DUHH YOU LAM33rR!!11 I HAD CHAT UP WTFD!!!11 -vote kick-"
Please someone enlighten me! WHERE THE F**K DID LAMER COME FROM?![rant]

:mad: It's getting sickening. I'd like to be informed where it came from. and How it came to be...Then maybe I'll be nicer to these dumb****s. :o
 Squee-sithguy
12-31-2003, 2:59 PM
it came from jk1!!! DUH!! LAMER NOOB!!! no just kidding,
but really it came from jk1 where everyone only accecpted people with honor in thier servers
 Prime
12-31-2003, 4:27 PM
Oh yes, and calling everyone "lamer" shows that they are tremendously honourable.
 Kurgan
12-31-2003, 7:59 PM
I believe the term first attained widespread usage in the Quake community (circa 1996), to refer to actions some people considered annoying or borderline "cheating."

These included "camping" (waiting around in a certain area, to hog a certain weapon or powerup, to snipe at unwary players or to kill players seconds after they respawned by camping spawn positions).

"LPB's" (ie: "Low Ping Bastards"). These were players thought to have an unfair advantage in the game, due to the fact that they possessed high speed internet connections (less commonly available and more expensive at the time than they are now).

Likewise the term "HPB's" was coined to refer to people who's latency/ping was so high that it interfered with the normal flow of the game (often poor AOL users).

"Spawn Killing" (camping respawn areas to get kills, see "camping" above).

Type-killing aka Chatkilling: killing a player while they are "talking" in the game instead of fighting. While this was often called "Lame" it was also acknowledged that people who chat and get killed are also at fault. Remember to that back in those days games didn't have any indication that a person was typing (chat bubbles in FPS's didn't become common until Quake3's release in 1999).

Other things that people yelled "lame" at were using one weapon (ie: the Rocket Launcher) that was thought to be the most powerful (this promoted the mod "rocket arena" to be made, so that people all spawned with the same weapon(s) and therefore no excuse); hogging various powerups, and doing annoying things in team games (ie: not playing as a team, hiding with the flag, attack teammates); excessive whining and profanity, etc.

Finally, "lame" could also refer to the use of "hacks" (game exploiting cheats) such as aim bots, full bright, wall hacks and scripted moves.

Of course widespread paranoia and the sore-loser mentality accompanied many of these. So that people who lacked the ability to lose gracefully could always try to save face by accusing others of being "lame" or "lamers."

In short "Lame" came to mean anything that was considered annoying or bad in the game, and came to be a generic insult. People accused of laming were termed "lamers" which lead to the humorous slang term "lamas."

Since many consider Quake as the "foundation" of internet FPS gaming, its not surprising that the conventions of that old community continue to influence subsequent games, even if they have no direct ties to the Quake franchise (all JK2/JA have in common with it are the base engines they use).
 TK-8252
12-31-2003, 10:28 PM
A true gaming encyclopedia!
 sup3rsnail
12-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I believe the term first attained widespread usage in the Quake community (circa 1996), to refer to actions some people considered annoying or borderline "cheating."

These included "camping" (waiting around in a certain area, to hog a certain weapon or powerup, to snipe at unwary players or to kill players seconds after they respawned by camping spawn positions).

"LPB's" (ie: "Low Ping Bastards"). These were players thought to have an unfair advantage in the game, due to the fact that they possessed high speed internet connections (less commonly available and more expensive at the time than they are now).

Likewise the term "HPB's" was coined to refer to people who's latency/ping was so high that it interfered with the normal flow of the game (often poor AOL users).

"Spawn Killing" (camping respawn areas to get kills, see "camping" above).

Type-killing aka Chatkilling: killing a player while they are "talking" in the game instead of fighting. While this was often called "Lame" it was also acknowledged that people who chat and get killed are also at fault. Remember to that back in those days games didn't have any indication that a person was typing (chat bubbles in FPS's didn't become common until Quake3's release in 1999).

Other things that people yelled "lame" at were using one weapon (ie: the Rocket Launcher) that was thought to be the most powerful (this promoted the mod "rocket arena" to be made, so that people all spawned with the same weapon(s) and therefore no excuse); hogging various powerups, and doing annoying things in team games (ie: not playing as a team, hiding with the flag, attack teammates); excessive whining and profanity, etc.

Finally, "lame" could also refer to the use of "hacks" (game exploiting cheats) such as aim bots, full bright, wall hacks and scripted moves.

Of course widespread paranoia and the sore-loser mentality accompanied many of these. So that people who lacked the ability to lose gracefully could always try to save face by accusing others of being "lame" or "lamers."

In short "Lame" came to mean anything that was considered annoying or bad in the game, and came to be a generic insult. People accused of laming were termed "lamers" which lead to the humorous slang term "lamas."

Since many consider Quake as the "foundation" of internet FPS gaming, its not surprising that the conventions of that old community continue to influence subsequent games, even if they have no direct ties to the Quake franchise (all JK2/JA have in common with it are the base engines they use).

:eek: ...no comment
 Rumor
12-31-2003, 10:52 PM
lol kurgan the google fiend. ;)
 Master William
12-31-2003, 11:02 PM
LOL Kurgan!

Myself I do never scream the word "lamer" anywhere, even if I do get killed in my clanserver (where we have certain rules). I just tell them to stop it, or I simply freeze them and warn them. Just whining with that word shows how childish a person is, and can also reveal the persons age. The little whiny kids always go "lamer!".
 Rumor
01-01-2004, 5:17 AM
hah
 Rad Blackrose
01-01-2004, 5:21 AM
Ahem...

The correct Quake terminology would be llama... not lamer, llama.

I have no idea how the hell it evolved into lamer... It was probably Counter-Strike.
 Semicolon
01-01-2004, 5:26 AM
LLaMA??? As in the animal? Yeah how the heck did it go from a spitting animal to a killing crazed physco ?
 Master William
01-01-2004, 6:20 AM
omgz u r all llamas omg wtf u cant even play u just lame ppl and man its so cheap go get lifes

A joke, yes...
 Crow_Nest
01-01-2004, 6:43 AM
Its called a lamer because that person is so lame.

http://crownest.poonpipi.com/images/p.gif)
 IG-64
01-01-2004, 9:12 AM
Have you ever considered working for the history channel, Kurgan?

:p
 Astrotoy7
01-01-2004, 9:23 AM
Originally posted by IG-64

:p

LMAO

I can just see the K man, wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, a bow tie and smoking a pipe.....

"today we will be discussing how one's choice of avatar will promote fear in posters all over the world.....this will be followed by display of the bong used by the id software crew during the process of making Doom"
 IG-64
01-01-2004, 9:32 AM
who knows, he could even be the Mail Call guy :xp:
 TK-8252
01-01-2004, 12:45 PM

:p ROFL

who knows, he could even be the Mail Call guy ROFL

:lol:
 lllKyNeSlll
01-01-2004, 4:41 PM
jk1 probably didn't have lamers, because you can't really chat kill, there is no chat box. And everyone has the same moves, just some people used them better than others. There weren't honor folks. There were mostly a large number off ffa nf saberists, ff saberists. Then there is the elite community,.
 Cal-Gon Gin
01-01-2004, 5:57 PM
"Llama" was derived from "lamer", as "pweend" from "owned". And I *think* you could trace the popularization of these terms (and l33t sp34k, truth be told) to the staff at the original PlanetQuake. Not the origin, but the popularization.
 Semicolon
01-01-2004, 6:07 PM
who knows, he could even be the Mail Call guy :xp:

No..That guy is just downright scary.

Nice little Kurgan :D
 idontlikegeorge
01-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
LMAO

I can just see the K man, wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, a bow tie and smoking a pipe.....

"today we will be discussing how one's choice of avatar will promote fear in posters all over the world.....this will be followed by display of the bong used by the id software crew during the process of making Doom"

:lol:
 JDKnite188
01-02-2004, 1:50 AM
I just learned something from the wisdom of Kurgan! Good work!

People who whine are lame. Hence a person who is lame is a lamer. I could imagine that it started with Quake 1 considering it was probably the first game with a popular MP mode.
 Gohan_Trunksss
01-02-2004, 6:00 AM
i got banned from a server because i used force mind trick, come on guys its built in the game as a force power, not laming if its intended to be used by the game makers
 Syzerian
01-02-2004, 7:27 AM
people just dont like others that are better than them because they can sneak around unseen or get to the best sniper spots

ive found that JA has become alot more accepting than a few months ago when everyone used singles cuz they didnt want to be called a noob for using a staff but now almost everyone uses duel or staff

the only thing i really consider laming is someone lift laming or shield whoring and running away

siege also seems to have died
its almost impossible to find a good siege server anymore but ive found a good power duel server that has problems with 'smileys' and if you use that server youll know what im talking about:)
 sup3rsnail
01-02-2004, 1:40 PM
I just left the jk3files server.
There was most idiotic assf**cks there.
To name a few : Mother, Velux, Lightning, and The Enigma.
All gang-raping me for being a newb.
We were playing on that bonus map with the floor that can be turned off.

Mother would keep gripping people and throwing them in, AND THEY WOULD'VE JUST SPAWNED!

While Lightning would be controlling the floor. Whenever Mother gripped them over it, Lightning would open up.

Velux was just being an *******. Since aparently the JK3Files server enforces no chat kill, saber down stuff.
He would just be killing everyone who just spawned or are typing.

The Enigma kept using that THROWING debug thing
Annoying the f*ck out of everyone

And why the hell wasn't an admin there?!?!!?!?

God. I regret buying Jedi Academy...
 Master William
01-02-2004, 1:52 PM
There's many ways to play a game, it's all about imagination, and what says in the manual. Myself I think crazy FFAs with flipkicks can be fun when you have had too much of the 'calm' gameplay, the honor stuff, that is. And then I get tired of that, and feel the need to just relax. So, to my clanserver I go, and well, feel the usual calm atmosphere there.
 ScrewUAll
01-02-2004, 3:17 PM
I remember in the mid 80's people that would lame warez off bbs's were we'd call lamers, so the word goes back much further than online gaming!
 TK-8252
01-02-2004, 9:42 PM
Originally posted by sup3rsnail
I just left the jk3files server.
There was most idiotic assf**cks there.
To name a few : Mother, Velux, Lightning, and The Enigma.
All gang-raping me for being a newb.
We were playing on that bonus map with the floor that can be turned off.

Mother would keep gripping people and throwing them in, AND THEY WOULD'VE JUST SPAWNED!

While Lightning would be controlling the floor. Whenever Mother gripped them over it, Lightning would open up.

Velux was just being an *******. Since aparently the JK3Files server enforces no chat kill, saber down stuff.
He would just be killing everyone who just spawned or are typing.

The Enigma kept using that THROWING debug thing
Annoying the f*ck out of everyone

And why the hell wasn't an admin there?!?!!?!?

God. I regret buying Jedi Academy... Oh great, some of those people are supposed to be banned. Apparently we STILL need more admins. We currently have 14 admins and I guess that's not enough!

I apologize for your bad visit, sup3rsnail.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
Oh great, some of those people are supposed to be banned. Apparently we STILL need more admins. We currently have 14 admins and I guess that's not enough!

I apologize for your bad visit, sup3rsnail.

Here are the lengthy and extensive rules from the jk3files.com server:
Gaming Server Rules

Please read these rules very carefully. You will be held responsible for knowing them. The rules for the server are:

DO NOT ATTACK SABER DOWN OR CHATTING PLAYERS
DO NOT USE INTERACTIVE FORCE IF YOUR SABER IS DOWN
DO NOT USE OFFENSIVE OR ABUSIVE LANGUAGE

Explanations of these rules and additional rules are below.
ADMINS
Admins have the right to determine whether or not you have broken the rules. An admin's decision is final, regardless of whether you think the decision is stupid or not...You may be given a warning if you break the rules. Failure to comply will result in your being kicked, and possibly banned.

If you feel it necessary to question the judgement of an admin, do so via email to one or both of the head admins. If you harass an admin on the server regarding a decision he/she made, your disagreement with a particular rule, or if you cause any interference with an admin doing their job, expect to be kicked from the server.

Head Admins:
AmosMagee
ShroomDuck
Current Admins:
Atlas
Chrono
DarkOne
Jem
LadyNikita
Plague
RasinHeck
Ravage
Stealth
Tek
TK8252
LAMING
Laming will not be tolerated on the JK3Files server. Do not attack anyone with his or her saber down, period. Attacks include saber and force (and kicking when applicable). Any attack with a saber, including saber throw, is considered laming. Using force on an unarmed player is also not allowed. Yes, even drain and push and pull are considered attacks. If you attack anyone whose saber is down with your saber or with force, you will be kicked.

Do not use "sabering down" as a means of defense. By this, we mean, you are not to attack someone and then immediately drop your saber so you cannot be attacked back. If it appears you are doing this intentionally, you will be kicked.

Your saber MUST be up before using force. The reason for this rule is because if someone, without their saber on, grips someone else and throws them off a cliff, no one can legitimately attack that person because their saber is down. If you continually attack with your saber off, you will be kicked from the server.

Also, we do not allow "revenge laming". As noble as you may think it is, we will remove you from the server if you "lame lamers".
LANGUAGE/ATTITUDE
No offensive language. By offensive, we mean the really, really bad words in excess. Offensive language includes anything derogatory; whether it’s sexually derogatory or just plain mean. Words that refer to sexual preference used inappropriately will not be tolerated. Most words that you hear on television are acceptable. What is more important is whether those words are used in a confrontational manner. For example, “life’s a b*tch,” can be tolerated, while “you b*tch” cannot. Though we are flexible with some name-calling if the tone is obviously light and no offense was intended. F**k and s**t are NEVER tolerated under any circumstances, nor are ANY form of racial epithets, whether pointing to any race’s superiority or inferiority. Taunts may be mean-spirited, to a degree. If it’s too offensive, you will be asked to not use those particular taunts. Anything you say to make someone else uncomfortable will be met with a request to stop. If you do not stop, you will be kicked.
SCRIPTS
No scripts. If we suspect you are using scripts, (or any other cheats for that matter), you will be asked not to. If you continue to use them, you will be kicked or banned.
DUEL INTERFERENCE
No interfering with duels. This means, stay out of the way of duelists and do not try to distract someone while they are dueling. If you are in the way of a duel, expect to be forcibly moved by an admin. If you are interfering with a duel, you will be kicked from the server.
KILL TRACKERS
Kill Trackers (KT) are useful for some people for many reasons. However, the constant kill tracker messages in a crowded server playing an FFA can be a bit much. So we have decided to not allow KT messages on the server anymore. Please be sure that that feature on your KT is turned off. If you do use a KT and are asked to disable the messages and do not, you will be kicked. If you continue to ignore our request, you will be banned.
BANNED MODELS
Some models or skins have been banned from our server either because they're partially invisible or they have an inconsistant hitbox and/or damage model compared to the other models, giving the user an unfair advantage. Those models/skins not allowed on the JK3Files server include:
Half invisible Luke & Kyle
Jawa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you encounter other players breaking these rules, do NOT try to enforce the rules yourself. If you are having an issue with a lamer, simply tell an admin who is present, or try messaging AmosMagee at icop@mail.com (MSN). If you still cannot get a hold of an admin to help you, then take a screenshot of whatever the person is doing and email it to an admin. Please include the person’s name. To take a screenshot of the console (in the event the person was more verbally abusive), simply type /screenshot in the console.
HAVE FUN!!!
There is no mention of "gripping people and throwing them in" or "using that throwing debug thing" being against these very lengthy and comphrensive rules that apparently even an army of fourteen admins is insufficient to enforce (LOL, perhaps some servers think they need a 1 to 1 ratio of admins to players). You respawn armed and temporarily invulnerable, and you don't have to saber-off to chat so I don't think the "don't 'lame' unarmed players" rule was necessarily broken.

Other than one person "killing" others who were typing (*gasp!*), perhaps TK can explain exactly what rules were broken here.
 TK-8252
01-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
There is no mention of "gripping people and throwing them in" or "using that throwing debug thing" being against these very lengthy and comphrensive rules that apparently even an army of fourteen admins is insufficient to enforce (LOL, perhaps some servers think they need a 1 to 1 ratio of admins to players). You respawn armed and temporarily invulnerable, and you don't have to saber-off to chat so I don't think the "don't 'lame' unarmed players" rule was necessarily broken.

Other than one person "killing" others who were typing (*gasp!*), perhaps TK can explain exactly what rules were broken here. Umm, we've disallowed the use of debug moves... it's a new discovery and they haven't updated the rules page yet. There is no rule about gripping people out of the bottom of that map, but, who knows what really wen't on.
 Syzerian
01-03-2004, 1:51 AM
what do you meen debug moves?
could i have an example
(thinking of visiting this server)
 Crow_Nest
01-03-2004, 2:15 AM
Originally posted by Syzerian
what do you meen debug moves?
could i have an example
(thinking of visiting this server)

TK posted a list of debugs moves, but it doesnt seem to work on Xmod2 servers
 TK-8252
01-03-2004, 2:29 AM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120182)

But don't use those moves at JK3Files, we don't allow 'em. :p
 Crow_Nest
01-03-2004, 7:11 AM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120182)

But don't use those moves at JK3Files, we don't allow 'em. :p

But its only the knockmedown debug and saber dropping debug. Selfdismemberent is allowed

Originally posted by sup3rsnail

Do you know that Lightning is registered in these forums? http://crownest.poonpipi.com/images/p.gif)
 TK-8252
01-03-2004, 5:33 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
But its only the knockmedown debug and saber dropping debug. Selfdismemberent is allowed Don't forget debugthrow. :)
 Kurgan
01-03-2004, 9:26 PM
Sorry for the misspelling... yes it was indeed "llamas" not "lamas."

(Like the animal)
 Duty
01-03-2004, 10:46 PM
HONORZ COD3

1.) Bow 4 times before a duel.
2.) Bow 5 times over the dead persons body after a duel
3.) Print of a version of the H0n0rz cod3 and store it above ones head at all times.
4.) Wash before reading the h0n0rz cod3
5.) If laming occurs by accident, officially apologise, email all concerned with an apology, post on clan forums a sincere letter of regret and self kill 10 times.
6.) If lamed, scream lamer and ask the admin to ban him. Spam the server with angry messages, focused around the words lamer, lameass, no h0n0rz, dishonorable and big laming lameass lamer.
7.) Always use a kill tracker and use binds containing exotic symbols such as --==/\/\><><~~--¬
8.) Never fight in a ffa server.
9.) 98% of time must be spent chatting, rereading the h0norz cod3 and idling.
10.) Always wear hero skins, such as Grand Master Wookie and use special names such as Luek the great.
 lllKyNeSlll
01-04-2004, 12:01 AM
who are you, duty?
 TK-8252
01-04-2004, 1:26 AM
Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll
who are you, duty? I'd rather not know.
Page: 1 of 1