Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Saber Modeling...

Page: 1 of 1
 Delancey
12-20-2003, 5:31 PM
Can anyone give me a link to a tutorial that actually walks you thrue creating a lightsaber hilt?
 Pahricida
12-21-2003, 7:09 PM
 Delancey
12-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Gmax wont load my MD3 script and I can't figure out how to turn the saber 180degrees in Milk Shape.
 Pahricida
12-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Just a Hint:

Forget about Gmax :D

create the model completly in Milkshape or get 3DSMax ...
 tFighterPilot
12-21-2003, 11:49 PM
gmax is much more powerful than MilkShape, but exporting with it is illegal
 Mercenary
12-22-2003, 12:38 AM
What md3 script are you using? Rotating something in Milkshape is very easy I don't understand what you could be having trouble with. If you're new to Milkshape, do some basic tutorials so you can understand how to get around.
 Delancey
12-22-2003, 12:55 AM
I'm using the MD3 Importer the Tutorial linked me to...

As for Milk Shape, I've been playing with it for hours...I can Rotate the Screen..But not the Model itself...
 tFighterPilot
12-22-2003, 9:52 AM
Yeah, MilkShape suck.
 Delancey
12-23-2003, 7:57 PM
Maybe so but it has the Importers built in.

as for GMax, It seems like the MD3 Importer doesn't want to work...
 Marker0077
12-23-2003, 8:36 PM
There are certain things Adobe Photoshop can do that Jasc Paint Shop Pro can't & vice versa. Adobe has better graphics quality & a variety of colors that Jasc does not support. The same concept applies to 3DS Max & Milkshape 3D. 3DS Max is the Adobe Photoshop of modeling & Milkshape is the Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

GMax is like a shareware version of 3DS Max, it's a waste of time & is a hassle. You have to use tempest with it & the thing has never even left the beta stages of its development.

I recommend you use 3DS Max 5. Whether you choose to use GMax or Milkshape for player modeling is irrelevant because neither will work, you *must* use 3DS Max 5 for player modeling (to get it in-game at least).

This however is weapon modeling & I would take Milkshape over GMax any day of the week. There's a ton of stuff, alot of which is plugin compatability-wise, that GMax just can't hold a candle to with Milkshape. Besides, Milkshape is alot easier to use if you are new to the modeling scene.

There is a bit of a difference between 3DS Max quality & Milkshape but it's not a world of difference, it's certainly not worth dealing with GMax over. Remember, Milkshape is the Jasc Paint Shop Pro of modeling, not the MS Paint. ;-)

Take it from a developer - don't use GMax. Use 3DS Max 5 & if you can't then use Milkshape.
 tFighterPilot
12-23-2003, 8:52 PM
Gmax is like 3D Studio Max, only without exporters and importers, amd I'm sure that there are some exporters\importers that works.
 Marker0077
12-23-2003, 9:58 PM
I have 3DS Max & have used GMax, there's tons of stuff in 3DS Max that's not in GMax & you *have* to use tempest for import/export to work with GMax (at least for MD3 which you would need since GMax doesn't cover .XSI) = gh3y.

GMax *is* a shareware type version of 3DS Max & is a hassle to use.
 tFighterPilot
12-23-2003, 9:59 PM
It has the important features.
 Marker0077
12-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Appearently not because the majority of the people out there use Milkshape. Go look at some weapon models under tools used, I bet you won't find GMax anywhere. The only reason why most people use Milkshape over 3DS Max is because of the price. Max is just too damn expensive.

Besides, I am starting to come to the conclusion that 3DS Max would need to export to .XSI & convert that to a .GLM for weapon models (like they do with player models) & that's why it has the better quality. This would also explain how people get animations into some firearm weapons (MD3View doesn't support non-single animation MD3 to GLM conversions).

With Milkshape, you export to MD3 & then convert the MD3 to GLM via MD3View. If you used GMax, you'd be converting the model to MD3 so there would be no difference anyways.
 tFighterPilot
12-23-2003, 10:28 PM
errr yeah whatever
 Mercenary
12-24-2003, 4:01 AM
The advantage Milkshape has over gmax is the import/export support. It is easier to learn and more simple. Gmax can look overwhelming to a beginner but once you get familiar with it you're all set. When it comes to modeling I like gmax over Milkshape because it's got more features and it's easier to look at. Another advantage is if you know your way around in gmax you also know your way around 3ds max.
 way
12-27-2003, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
gmax is much more powerful than MilkShape, but exporting with it is illegal
What do you mean with that?
When I can't export my models how can I be able to use them?
 Mercenary
12-28-2003, 3:40 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't mind if you export your model as an .md3 because Tempest comes with an .md3 exporter. The quality of this exporter is whole other question. I could see them having a problem with a .max exporter (if one existed) because people wouldn't have to buy as many licenses of 3ds max.
Page: 1 of 1