Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

XP cap remover (long)

Page: 1 of 1
 Seth_Simes
12-08-2003, 8:06 AM
*SPOILER*

I just completed SW: KotOR last night, and to my shock I discovered that I can't get past level 20. Of course, the SW D20 rules are meant to take a character to level 20 only, I am well aware of that.

But there's still an imbalance in that. In KotOR, when you become Jedi, you can only take levels in Jedi, and no multiclassing. I played the game thoroughly, really enjoying the quests and taking my time when playing, so evidently, it took many levels before I became a jedi. I believe I was level 6 (not completely sure, give or take a level) when I became Jedi.

That means I only had 14 levels of Jedi to choose from. My main character still ended up with more force points than the other Jed on the party, reflecting on the main character's past and all, but still... I don't like the fact that in order to gain more levels as a Jedi later in the game, I have to skip quests and do what abhor about RPGs. I will have to powergame and run through the beginning of the game until I can gain Jedi levels. That sucks.

So I'm asking, has anyone made an XP cap remover? Before all the newbies start asking for mods that allow one to become Epic Level and crap like that, I am just asking if anyone has made a simple little mod that allows level progression beyond level 20.

Were I a modder that would be the first thing I'd make, and perhaps a multiclassing mod after that...

I know the multiclassing has been removed from the game for balancing issues, but one could at least have some possibility to trade levels or something? I mean, knowing the main character's past, I think my char with only 14 Jedi Consular levels was supposed to have been a Dark Lord? Sounds unlikely. :rolleyes:

So I ask again, no I throw myself on my knees and beg someone to make or link to an XP cap remover, because I just started the game over with a new character, and would hate to miss out on a lot of quests, because I have to be careful how many Jedi levels I miss out on :(
 Samuel Dravis
12-08-2003, 1:26 PM
You could probably use cheats to get your levels, then edit your savegame with a hex editor... I think that the point you edit is 0x70. if it's 1, then change to 0.
 Eets
12-08-2003, 1:34 PM
Also, an easy way to get more Jedi levels is to not level up your character until you become a Jedi.

By this, I don't mean try not to get any Experience Points, but just don't use the "Level Up" button until you become a Jedi. You can, however, level up your party mates, so that there is less of a chance that you'll croak before Jedi time.
 eidospsogos
12-12-2003, 6:26 PM
yeah i was disappointed with this aspect of the game as well. but every bioware game that has come out previously had similar issues and someone always made a cap remover. maybe it won't be long until someone does the same for this game. i personally don't want to cheat to gain anything. i just want to be able to get what i want within the game and from the game without cheating. so a cap remover would be great for those who want to gain their skills and levels without cheating(though i guess a cap remover is technically cheating to some extent, but you know what i mean)
 arcath
12-12-2003, 10:43 PM
well the funny thing is....

even if you get a xp cap remover it wont matter. the only thing you get after level 21 is JUST skill points. you dont get powers or feats.

so there really is no use for a xp cap remover.

i say 21 becouse using the fake level up on the xbox, which i dont want to explain becouse it takes too long, but i did that and used it to level up to level 92 so i could use the 3200 skill point glitch at level 3 trick.

but for some reason, at level 21 you get one more everything to level up. dont know why, since 21 isnt like 4,8,12,16 and 20, but you get a attribute level up at 21 also.

sorry to burst your bubble, but the coding for past 21 just isnt in the game.
 eidospsogos
12-13-2003, 2:30 AM
well, first of all, i will say there's a distinct possibility you are completely correct in this observation.

BUT, there are so many factors that go into this sort of thing that you can't automatically say this would be the case. first, just because something works a certain way on the xbox, doesn't mean it will work the same way on a pc. second, it would largely depend on how the cap remover was implemented. if anything is allowed after level 20 in a ruleset that ends at level 20 then that would imply coding allows for more after the cap. so if one could apply this info and coding for that one extra level (or any of the other levels previosuly gained in the game) into the cap remover, then more could be achieved in a pc cap remover than can be achieved through means on an xbox. so, it would largely depend on how the cap remover was designed to integrate with the existing coding from the game, what it was designed to do etc. were it designed to merely remove the cap, you could be right. but there are alot more factors that come into play than that.
 somrandomguy
12-28-2003, 2:00 AM
You could just use Jawa's mod to start as a Jedi. While it gives you a ton of Dark-Side points, I was in the light side before I left Taris.
 eidospsogos
12-28-2003, 2:03 AM
uhm, well i wasn't really interested in being a jedi from the beginning. that does not really help me gain any feats. :)
 Lil' Jawa
12-28-2003, 5:58 AM
i'm 99% sure you wont ever be able to raise level barrier by mereling editing 2DAs as that has been the case with previous games as well, so good luck with that.
Page: 1 of 1