Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Srf?

Page: 1 of 1
 fattysbox
11-21-2003, 3:12 PM
Just started out mapping, so I'm kinda newb...

WHen I go to complie my map (any BSP command) an error occurs saying that I do not have an SRF file.

Can someone please explain what this is and how do I create one? thanks.
 WadeV1589
11-21-2003, 3:18 PM
It is automatically created in the BSP phase, if you do a vis or light compile first you won't get the srf file generated, hell you won't even get a .bsp! Be sure you select one that has the word "-meta" as all those will create a BSP.
 fattysbox
11-21-2003, 3:29 PM
OK, that sounds like an easy fix.

On general knowledge principles, what is an srf file? and its purpose?

Thanks Wade...
 wedge2211
11-21-2003, 3:38 PM
The .srf file has to do with lighting calculations...but it's not necessary to play a map, it's an intermediate step. You need only include the .bsp in your pk3 when you finish (the .map, .srf and .prt files don't have naything to do with the actual gameplay).
 fattysbox
11-21-2003, 3:41 PM
makes sense...

Then I assume correctly that all the srf/prt/map information will be included in the bsp file when I pk3 it?
 wedge2211
11-21-2003, 5:43 PM
Yup. The .bsp file is the final product of a compile, and that file contains all the information the game needs to know.

(Besides custom textures, models, etc, of course.)
 WadeV1589
11-21-2003, 6:16 PM
Just to be picky, the bsp file does include custom models provided you placed them as misc_models, they're built into the BSP tree :p
Page: 1 of 1