Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is Milkshape the ONLY program that can import .glms and export .md3s?

Page: 1 of 1
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 12:58 AM
as stated in the thread title i need to know if milkshape 3d is the only modeling program that can import a glm and export a md3.....i mean as expensive a program as 3dsmax is i would have expected these abilities as native.....but from my research before buying the program, this is NOT possible with 3Dsmax.

so does anyone know if this is the case? if so what is a good modeling program to get those capabilities?
 Chairwalker
10-28-2003, 1:28 AM
There are several plugins for 3dmax to export/import md3s.
But i havent heard of any plugins to import glms, so yeah, i'd say milkshape is the only program that can import glms...
(maybe softimage can do it though, i have no expirience with that one)
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 10:45 AM
well i spent nearly three hours last night just looking for an .md3 importer/exporter for 3dsmax, and could find nothing.....(except things that did not work) mind posting a link to any of the plugins you have found.

are they version specific, i was looking at getting 4 and up...?
 Aegis Runestone
10-28-2003, 5:12 PM
No, gmax can read md3 files and it can export to them. I think you need to get a plug-in though.
 tFighterPilot
10-28-2003, 5:21 PM
You can find an export\import plugin here http://www.worldzone.net/games/azrael_dark/PROJECT_ZERO/GMAX.html)
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 5:27 PM
yeah i had tried that link before.....if you actually click on the md3 import/export donload link, it brings up a 404 file not found error....so if anyone knows where one of these is for gmax or 3dsmax that has a working file link, i would greatly appreciate it
 tFighterPilot
10-28-2003, 6:00 PM
Works for me...

Anyway, you can download the quake3 tempset from the gmax site.
 Aegis Runestone
10-28-2003, 6:10 PM
The md3 importer/exporter is called "tempest" right?

I never figured out how to work that into Gmax. :p
 tFighterPilot
10-28-2003, 6:23 PM
Install it...
 Aegis Runestone
10-28-2003, 9:23 PM
I did. never worked. :P
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 10:10 PM
yeah, i just love the condescending way people give help around here.....

as if you had downloaded it and put it in a folder and expected it to work.

seriously, the reason people normally post on forums of this nature is to get help from people they know to be more experienced than them. if they thought themself all-knowing they wouldn't be on here asking questions, and attempting to gain answers from the more experienced community on the forum. i would think it would be more productive to share your knowledge in a constructive way, instead of just randomly taking jabs at people.

as far as tempest installation, i do not know anything about it, because i am just learning about it myself. was never a big quake engine fan, until lucas started using it for their games....and it's more a love for star wars than the engine itself that has gotten me into messing with these filetypes.

but back on topic, installing import/export plugins can range from dragging .dll's into a folder to using an actual installer. so the next time someone decides to share their plethora of knowledge on a topic.....maybe they could include some specifics. that could be helpful.
 Aegis Runestone
10-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Then again, there was this shortcut that was made on my desktop called "Tempest"... maybe I should have clicked that... :rolleyes: :o
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 11:15 PM
:) myabe.....might have been a good idea.....while we are on the general topic of importing/exporting.....tempest works for gmax.....anything for 3dsmax that anyone knows of.....or would tempest possibly work for it as well, as gmax is simply a lite version of 3dsmax

and would anyone know anything about how to recomile a JO model for JA
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 11:42 PM
okay everyone.....here is a link to a .glm importer for 3dsmax and milkshape 3d.....

http://jedidreams.codealliance.ca/jk2util.shtml)

now, all you need to do is find an md3 exporter and everyone can use the md3 view convert to glm feature and everyone is happy.....

here is a link with a .md3 exporter for 3dsmax 3....and a link listed with that link for an updated 4 and 5 version.....it is alphabrtical and has many listings, so scroll down to pop n' fresh's max to .md3 exporter.....

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/quake3/tools.shtml)

milkshape can export to .md3 natively.....
 boinga1
10-29-2003, 1:25 AM
To make player models, you must have a JA skeleton. The skeleton released for JO was only compatible with 3DS. Therefore, the JA skeleton is probably only compatible with 3DS, menaing that 3DS MAX is the only porgram you can make player models with.
 tFighterPilot
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
To make player models, you must have a JA skeleton. The skeleton released for JO was only compatible with 3DS. Therefore, the JA skeleton is probably only compatible with 3DS, menaing that 3DS MAX is the only porgram you can make player models with. Thanks you caption obvious :rolleyes:
 Wudan
10-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Always with you it can not be done.

I guess ignorance isn't bliss after all.
Page: 1 of 1