Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need Help With FPS

Page: 1 of 1
 R8Sephiroth8P
10-27-2003, 1:23 AM
Ok, in an enclosed area, ive placed 6 different trees fairly close to each other, but the framerate tends to drop around 30 when I enter the area. Any suggestions or methods on how to increase the FPS WITHOUT removing a few of the trees?
 epikon
10-27-2003, 6:49 AM
it does help a tiny bit, dont texture the outside textures which you dont see, cover them in caulk
 R8Sephiroth8P
10-27-2003, 9:23 PM
I know that, ive always done that, but im talking bout anything you can do to the models or around the models, to increase the framerate. Is there anyway to do that, or am I just gonna have to end up deleting a few models (which I REALLY don't wanna do)?
 Tyler_Durden
10-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Also, be sure to place area portals throughout your levels. AREA PORTALS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR YOUR MAP. Why? When you have two area portals placed within your doors the game has less to render and thus your frames per second are increased, especially if you have a lot of brushes in one area. Area portals are easy to make as well, just make them the size of the door but make sure that they are thinner than the door you place them in but make sure that the length is the same as the door, otherwise it won't work correctly. Also make sure you don't have any leaks because you will get a "house of mirrors" effect.

DOOR
 idontlikegeorge
10-27-2003, 11:48 PM
If the FPS drop is limited to the area with the trees, take in account that you may have to take out a tree or two.

Also, check your walls and such, make sure they are as efficient as can be, and any details not related to the trees may need to be taken out, instead.

Also, is the 30 fps that bad? Compare the framerate to the JA standard maps, too. If you get less FPS than the JA standard, you really need to change things around, unless you want only high-end people to play your map well.

But, since you seem to know what you are doing anyway, you probably should just take a couple trees out... you might as well do that, and see if there is a positive change. If there is, well, then you know - but if there isn't, then it may not be the tree models you so want to keep!
Page: 1 of 1