Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Favorite EU book

Page: 1 of 1
 Master_Keralys
10-15-2003, 4:31 PM
What is your favorite EU book? Any and all are acceptable (though I may slam you for some of them;) ).

My personal favority is Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover. In my opinion (and that of many of my friends) it is the best SW book ever written. Followed closely by Traitor by the same author.
 StarWarsPhreak
10-15-2003, 5:25 PM
Traitor is my number one book.
 wassup
10-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Traitor is my number one book.
 Skinkie
10-16-2003, 1:08 AM
Anything from the X-Wing series, especially The Bacta War and the last one, can't think of it's name....
 benTantilles
10-16-2003, 8:39 AM
hmmm..... well, personally, i found aaron allston's starfighters of adumar to be the most enjoyable sw book i've read. i'm drawn to the ways of a fighter pilot, though, and have an instant liking for any of wedge's exploits, so the average fan may not like it as much as i do. stilll.....the book is DAMN funny, another reason y i like it so.
from a critic's point of view, though, i'd have to say traitor was the best. very well-written..... haven't read shatterpoint yet. am gonna buy it soon.....
i enjoyed zahn's thrawn trilogy as well... good for the critics & the star wars fans. one of the better EU pieces.
 vegietto
10-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Shadows of the Empire
 Astrotoy7
10-16-2003, 12:08 PM
When I first heard about 'Traitor' I found out ......

** centres mainly around one charcater :
I thought 'that cant be right !!' especially Jacen, who although I liked because of his input to discussions more than action, I never thought he could be the focus of a whole book.....

**crappy cover
I thought, "is that Jacen ???" He looks like Leo DiCaprio, and nothing like Han or Leia ! I like the Dark Journey cover much better, Jaina was droolworthy........

Then I read it, and it was amazing, and *different* Its a stand out SW novel... standing alongside "I, Jedi" another unique piece...

And Vergere, boy is she one crazy bird ! I thought Jacen being her apprentice was just what he needed....

Also, for all those whiners who used to complain about Jacen, you couldn't undermine that for all his philospohical uncertainity, he is a very strong jedi, only someone mentally together could have endured the breaking process................

So Yes, "Traitor" is my fave SW novel, followed by "I, jedi"

MTFBWYA
 Prime
10-16-2003, 4:49 PM
I liked I, Jedi quite a bit. I've just started reading Cloak of Deception, and I like it so far. I find the political stuff interesting.

I'm looking forward to picking up Shatterpoint though...
 Miko_lover
10-18-2003, 11:28 PM
The Courtship of Princess Leia , The Truce at Bakura , Vector Prime , and Dark Apprentice . I do think I spelled that wrong, though. O well.:D
 amadeus
10-19-2003, 5:51 PM
I'm just finishing up the Thrawn trilogy now, and I'm enjoying them QUITE a bit.
 Pnut_Man
10-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Traitor, i read that book summer of 2002 and it's still driving me crazy :p
 Miko_lover
10-21-2003, 8:16 PM
I never read the Thrawn books because they sound boring...but perhaps not. Don't judge a book by its title. Wait-- *The hand of Thrawn swoops down and grabs Miko_lover*

Thrawn: Now it's time to endure a life time of pain! (evil laugh heard).

Miko_lover: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Sam Fisher
10-21-2003, 8:45 PM
Mine would have to be Destiny's Way and Traitor.

More powerful than Luke?!
 Miko_lover
10-22-2003, 2:50 PM
Who?!
 Master_Keralys
10-22-2003, 6:00 PM
We can't tell you that...

If you really want to know, then here:

It's Jacen Solo, who will be the most powerful Jedi ever.
 Dawidos
10-30-2003, 1:06 PM
Thrawn Trylogy
Shadows of the Empire
Academy Jedi Trylogy
Darth Maul

Why ? Becuase those books have great story, confident person, dramatic action etc. That's all.
 amadeus
10-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Miko_lover
I never read the Thrawn books because they sound boring...but perhaps not. Don't judge a book by its title.

Anyone and everyone should read the Thrawn Trilogy. They are not boring in any respect and they involve the ingenius mind of Thrawn which makes them all the more better. They also involve Talon Karrde, who is ALSO awesome. The Thrawn trilogy is an amazing set of books, which I have just finished and I recommend them to anyone with a taste for Star Wars. It will satisfy.
 Astrotoy7
10-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Anyone and everyone should read the Thrawn Trilogy.

Howdy Wolfgang,, it seems you are blowing Zahn's trumpet(uugh -bad mental image!!! :p) I have re-read the Trawn Trology recently...

I found them dated, and quite cartoonish. They are memorable because they were the first great EU novels of the 90s SW revival. Plus they introduced some amazing characters, like you mentioned. But at the end of the day that "Luuke' and 'Joruus' stuff is silly. Also annoying is the portrayal of Mara's deep psycological anguish via capital letters :
YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER !!!!

Compare this to Jacen's ordeal and journey in 'Traitor' and it is laughable.

I briefly met Zahn and Stackpole when they were down here in Australia..., cool guys, a bit geeky, but cool nonetheless....

MTFBWYA
 DSettahr
11-04-2003, 7:39 AM
In the first draft of the Thrawn Trilogy, C'boath was instead an insane clone of Ben Kenobi. Lucasfilm shot that idea down pretty quickly though.

My favorite book would be The Lando Calrissian Adventures. Most people seem to hate it, but I love it. I wish L Neil Smith had wrote more Star Wars novels.
 Master_Keralys
11-06-2003, 9:11 PM
Yeah, Zahn came up with some crazy ideas. He is a brilliant writer, but I can't see it as much in the original Thrawn trilogy as in The Hand of Thrawn or some of his short stories. He feels very different in the original trilogy of Thrawn books, and pretty much lets the Republic win the war by luck instead of by tactical skill. Pretty sad for the Republic.
 darth small
11-08-2003, 12:38 PM
I like I,Jedi as well, I think Corran Horn is one of the best and most complex characters created in the EU and the book is told in first person which is different for a star wars book.
 amadeus
11-08-2003, 2:34 PM
He feels very different in the original trilogy of Thrawn books, and pretty much lets the Republic win the war by luck instead of by tactical skill. Pretty sad for the Republic. [/B]

That's probably because Grand Admiral Thrawn dominates completely in tactical skill. There's no way Ackbar or anyone else would have been able to compete with THrawn for straight pure tactical skill. They had to win through luck.
 darrksaber88
11-10-2003, 6:31 AM
Traitor, Star By Star, and Wedge's Gamble (2nd book of Rogue Squadron series), and I, Jedi, i completely love those 4 books
 Kryn Dreith
11-20-2003, 9:57 PM
Or not. All the generals combined could have come up with a way of beating him. They'd have to have. NO ONE is that smart. And Luke and Mara outsmarted him at times, so... yeah.

I like I, Jedi and Shatterpoint.
 Clemme w/Stick
11-21-2003, 11:05 AM
So far its the first book in the Thrawn trilogy.
:thumbsup:
Damn good books, currently reading second book in the trilogy.

-Clemme
 gorganfloss
11-22-2003, 5:59 AM
Never really read any Star Wars books but a few aside from pop-ups from the 70's, but I kinda liked Tales from Jabba's Palace. Don't know if it's EU necessarily, but I liked it.
 Master_Keralys
11-22-2003, 5:24 PM
Thrawn was brilliant, but I must agree with Kryn here. It just took being unpredictable - completely unpredictable to beat him. Even bel Iblis outsmarted him a couple of times, like with the A-wing slash maneuver. He was fallible. Minor spoiler for those who haven't finished it: Especially after they lost Delta Source... So he should have been able to be beaten some other way... but that's just my opinion. I did like the whole X-wing series and I, Jedi as well, though I felt Stackpole's NJO books weren't quite as good.
Page: 1 of 1