Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

First person lightsaber... am i daft???

Page: 1 of 1
 Boberto
09-30-2003, 6:57 PM
Does anyone know how to use the lightsaber in first person mode like the energy weapons? (might be an extremely simple question) I can't seem to find out how to in the options, etc...
 StormHammer
09-30-2003, 7:10 PM
There is no 1st-person saber in Jedi Academy. Sorry.
 Boberto
09-30-2003, 7:13 PM
Nuts... Wonder if the option will become available in any patches?
 Tyler_Durden
09-30-2003, 9:51 PM
From what i have heard from raven is that they need to go back and do animations for all the skins, over 2000 more animations, in order for there to be an effective first person mode. I think don't think that's the whole truth. So basically we are SOL when it comes to a patch. However, from my understanding, if someone were to convert all the jaden skins into transparent skins and made it so the option to switch from first to third were implemented, it could work, as the game would need to switch skins for cutscenes. However, as i stated in other threads, i have tried but to no avail to modify the game. I do not know the intracasies of the Q3 engine well, so i'm hoping someone could figure it out or point me in the right direction.
 Sam Fisher
10-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Actually, there is

cg_fpls 1

Change 1 to 0 to turn off.
 razorace
10-01-2003, 1:44 AM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
From what i have heard from raven is that they need to go back and do animations for all the skins, over 2000 more animations, in order for there to be an effective first person mode. I think don't think that's the whole truth. So basically we are SOL when it comes to a patch. However, from my understanding, if someone were to convert all the jaden skins into transparent skins and made it so the option to switch from first to third were implemented, it could work, as the game would need to switch skins for cutscenes. However, as i stated in other threads, i have tried but to no avail to modify the game. I do not know the intracasies of the Q3 engine well, so i'm hoping someone could figure it out or point me in the right direction.

Actually that's not really true. You can do a FPS view without making up custom skins for all the different models. You can simply turn off the textures surfaces you don't want. Sure it won't look as pretty as that weird "fading"skiin that Raven did for JK2 but it's still very useable.

Besides, when I created True View for MP. It was suprior to the stuff Raven used, but noone really cared. I don't think many people use it.
 Emon
10-01-2003, 1:46 AM
It's because it was so disorienting. It only works in a game like Hitman 2 where you're not flying through the air. :)
 razorace
10-01-2003, 2:18 AM
Well, personally, I think it's because you can't see enough while in FPS view. The only FOV that looks correct limits your view to about 80 degrees. The average human has something like 120 degree vision.
 Emon
10-01-2003, 2:21 AM
Way more than that, if you count peripheral vision. The tri-screen gaming Matrox has is really cool. It's too bad the Parhelia sucks as a 3D card.
 Nemios
10-01-2003, 7:41 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Besides, when I created True View for MP. It was suprior to the stuff Raven used, but noone really cared. I don't think many people use it.

I liked it very much! I'm a FPLS fan and true view was a big step forward. But you closed the project... :(

I'd like to have a MOD with only true_view and no other changes of the gameplay. If that was the case I would have continued to use your MOD in my LAN games with my brother. Can't you do a "modular" MotF? Or maybe a little build just for me? :D
 razorace
10-01-2003, 7:58 AM
I only closed the project because of engine limitations. I'm planning on working on it again once the qvm code is out. I'm not sure if I'll put True View back in. It apprenently confused the crap out of people.

I might add it to MotF and OJP if I have the time/will to do it. With improvements of course. :D
 Astrotoy7
10-01-2003, 8:22 AM
I'm not a big fan of first person view for the saber, especially now, as I use the saberstaff by choice and want to see whats going on all around me from 3rdperson view...(nb. i mainly play SP, or against bots, so I hope not to get any anti saberstaff in MP type arguments :P)

With the great work Raven has done on the models, especially my stunning scantily clad twilek jaden, it silly to reduce that to a hand or gun poking out from the bottom of the screen......

I'm sure that the old school FPS gamers from the doom generation(yes, I am that old too) will always have a soft spot for first person view. With regards to JA, I like to refer to it as a TPS game, "Third Person Saber", rather than a FPS.....

MTFWBYA
 Tyler_Durden
10-01-2003, 6:54 PM
Actually i was referring to single player. MP is a whole other thing that i won't get into as i don't even touch MP. The ideas behind true view were awesome as i tried using it in a test MP game against bots but then again like i said i don't play MP. I like to create my own SP levels. Would there be any alternate SP commands to turn off the surface textures such as the head and maybe the torso but not the arms? That would solve all my first person problems right there, combined with the other commands to zoom into first person.
 razorace
10-01-2003, 7:56 PM
Well, unfortunately, the SP fpls code doesn't use the same code as True View. Your eye position isn't the same and code forces that special "fading" skin.

I suppose you could replace the fading skin with another but it probably won't look correct without the proper eye code. You wouldn't beleive how much work I went thru to get it to work/look correctly. :)
 Kurgan
10-01-2003, 8:40 PM
All that need be done is to add a semi-transparent (arms only or headless) Kyle skin like was done in JK2 1.04 (and for SP JK2 from the start).

It would be a client side option to be used with CG_FPLS 1/G_FPLS 1.

I'm all for it. It could work with melee and lightsaber.
 razorace
10-01-2003, 9:08 PM
That might work, but like I stated before, it might not look correct either. I had major problems with making true view because you have to carefully positional the camera or else you see your nonexistent neck when you look down. It's a minor problem but something to consider.
 Tyler_Durden
10-01-2003, 10:27 PM
I think by using JO's old first person code, i can somehow go into JA and paste the first person code into some obscure text file(i hope), thus theoretically giving me a first person mode on the fly. I would then need to be able to switch back and forth to third person as stated below. Plus the game would need to know when to switch between skins for cutscenes....... dammit, i'm in over my head here. Unfortunately i don't have the slightest idea of what i need to edit in order to do this.

Plus the fact that you DO in fact need a transparent skin in order for you to see clearly ahead of you. If i remember correctly, i believe JO had the first person view somewhere under kyle's head about chest level.

I can go and input some console commands thus giving me this view and can bind them to the .cfg file. This is all speculation of course and i can be totally wrong. But if anyone can point me in the right direction, you would be doing me and the other first person minority players a huge favor.
 razorace
10-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Unfortunately, the code control the player's viewpoint isn't accessable from a txt file. You need the qvm code (for MP) and the game source code (for SP).

As for where the viewpoint was in JK2 SP, I beleive it was strapped to the top of your player model's head. I'm not 100% on that thou. It's been a while. :)
 -=FB=-Jagged
10-01-2003, 11:24 PM
OH DUH! That's where the all-arms-no-body-Kyle comes from in MP!

I always wondered...:D
 Tyler_Durden
10-02-2003, 6:17 AM
i would need the source code? dammit...... well i guess that's it then. I give up.
 razorace
10-02-2003, 7:43 AM
Well, someone stated that cg_fpls 1 still works....It's just not as good as True View.
 Nemios
10-02-2003, 8:25 AM
I only closed the project because of engine limitations. I'm planning on working on it again once the qvm code is out. I'm not sure if I'll put True View back in. It apprenently confused the crap out of people.

I might add it to MotF and OJP if I have the time/will to do it. With improvements of course. :D

So no little true_view-only build? :rolleyes:
Doh! :(
Would you make it for me? :o :D
 razorace
10-02-2003, 8:58 AM
Well, the ability to do it for SP is 100% dependant on if Raven releases the SP code.

As for MP, I might get to it, but no guarentees. I got a lot of other stuff I want to work on as well. If I do it, I'll be sure to have it installed in OJP (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104564) so people that don't want to play MotF to get True View can use it.
 BloodRiot
10-02-2003, 9:09 AM
Well about the correct human FOV not looking correct I might just throw a hunch from what i learned playing with cameras in 3ds max.

Cameras have 2 settings that play a part here... the FOV and the lens. Well If i raise the FOV from 45 degrees to 80 degrees the line of sight is boradened by the objects that are really close suddenly become farther...or so it seems...in JO i saw it and it looked like fish eye lens. Now the lens set the ammount of magnification.

By messing with both values you might get a compromise of what would look closer to real life.

I dunno if JO or JA supports the equivalent to lens but it's woth a shot. So if any of you trying to get true view look decent you can try this if you havent already.

Cheers.
 sLaX0r
10-02-2003, 9:45 AM
Who needs 1st person when 3rd person is better?
 Hellfire Jedi
10-02-2003, 10:29 AM
FPLS doesn't work in JA, it shows the back of the players head close up.
 Nemios
10-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by sLaX0r
Who needs 1st person when 3rd person is better?

Who needs other people opinions when mine is better? :o
 Kurgan
10-02-2003, 12:56 PM
FPLS doesn't work in JA, it shows the back of the players head close up.

The effect has not changed, only the skin. If you make the head (or head+body) textures transparent it will be identical to the way it was in JK2.
 Prime
10-02-2003, 1:15 PM
Well, the ability to do it for SP is 100% dependant on if Raven releases the SP code. Raven has said that they will not be releasing this...
 razorace
10-02-2003, 7:11 PM
Source?
 Raanes
10-06-2003, 5:34 PM
good point there:amidala:
 Kurgan
10-06-2003, 9:47 PM
They have said over and over that there are "no plans" to release the SP SDK. Look back in JA interviews and you'll see that.

Anyway, it might happen, but I doubt it. They didn't do it for JK2 either. Again probably is LA's call rather than Raven's.

First person saber only requires the ability to switch (client side) to a semi transparent model when doing the CG_FPLS 1/G_FPLS 1 command.

That's how it worked in JK2 MP.

You can already use that command or mess with the thirdperson pov cvars and get the right perspective, but since the skin isn't "see-through" there is always a part of the model in the way.

In JK2 all you saw were two forearms (Kyle's) holding the saber handle and blade, the rest of you was transparent. But of course everyone else would just see your regular skin, not kyle's floating arms.
 razorace
10-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Sorry, I had not remember that being mentioned in any of the JKA interviews.
Page: 1 of 1