Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Seriously, Single Saber is the best!

Page: 1 of 2
 Master William
09-28-2003, 8:48 PM
It is! I have experience from Jk2, and I know many tricks...
Like roll-stab when the enemy is doing a kata or one of those spins.

I win 8/10 duels against dual- and staff users.
The katas are very useful,
depends on what situation you are in
(I mean the kata for each stance).

Does anyone feel the same?
I still think the Single saber owns...
I am also good with staff, but I rarely use it.

:slsaber: owns :dsaber: and

:saberg::saberg: (In my opinion of course)

Sorry for the 100 paragraphs, but that stupid banner keeps blocking my text...
 Tarus
09-28-2003, 8:52 PM
I like single as its most challenging. If i pick up dual its a joke...I win a ton without even trying.

Regarding single the number one thing I hate is that single stance and even medium, to a degree, get knocked away. They should be as good at blocking as the heavy stance.

Currently the advantage of light is speed. The disadvantage is short range, low damage, and no block ability. Way to much in the way of disadvantages.

If you can't tell I really hate heavy stance. Its just boring to use. I start a swing then I run up to the enemy and try to hit him with the bat. Its unrealistic. While starwars isn't real there is degrees of realistic and running around while in the middle of a powerful swing just seems dumb.
 Master William
09-28-2003, 8:56 PM
I call the dual sabers 'noob sticks'.

Anyway, the fast stance has a good thing, and it is its DFA, (you know, crouch + forward + attack).
I often use this on an enemy when they are in the end of their kata attack, or in the end of that saber-spinning thing.
 Tesla
09-28-2003, 8:59 PM
I like the Red Stance the best, mostly because of the Kata, i just love it. :D

Anyways, check out this new guide i wrote on how to add new sabers to JA.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113141)

No revelance to the topic what so ever :D
 Quid
09-28-2003, 9:01 PM
Yeah i cant live without single saber...
 BS87
09-28-2003, 9:22 PM
Yeah, Single sabers are really fun, but i dont like the people that use them just because they think it will make him "an elite uber jedi", And piss an moan when i kick them, then stab htem when they are down.
 Sam
09-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Single saber users are rare!

most if not all the good players I have seen use it,I use it too(I'm not not Bragging just saying I use it)

IMO the staff is the noob stick......

Alot! of people use the staff because they think they look like darth maul.
 JediNyt
09-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Tarus
Regarding single the number one thing I hate is that single stance and even medium, to a degree, get knocked away. They should be as good at blocking as the heavy stance. I agree, fast and medium seem to have been nerfed. Ive never won a duel using fast in JA. I mostly use strong because it connects the most even though it looks lame. Actually hitting someone effectively with fast and medium is unrealistically hard. Imho. But still I use single primarily.
 FK | unnamed
09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Master William
It is! I have experience from Jk2, and I know many tricks...

That is simply not possible.

It is an entirely new game.

;)
 CK_EmPreSS
09-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Single saber in JA is not the best right now. It may become the best if Raven/Lucasarts puts out a patch that takes away the damage etc. of the staff and dual moves. I think the damage of certain things needs to be fixed but I do NOT think they should alter any of the moves. The spinning of the dual barrier should remain because if the spinning is removed, that move will be useless and leave you too wide open for any attack. Pivotting should be kept in the game to make it more challenging because a good player isn't stupid enough to attack a barrier if the person is spinning like crazy during it... that's certain death 99% of the time.

Each saber choice has their own strengths and weaknesses. So it all depends on the player...

Too many people, it seems, want JA to be more like Jk2. To me, that is stupid. The 1.04 patch in Jk2 is so boring and the new moves in JA bring alot more variety to saber play... reminds me of the 1.03 patch in Jk2.

My one bit of advice. If they remove the ability to pivot entirely from the barrier, then they should make it so a player can jump away at any time or move if an opponent is about to attack. I would just hate to see this game get ruined and become boring like the 1.04 patch in Jk2 is. 1.04 wasn't boring when it first came out, but a year later... yes, it's very boring.

"If you want JA to be more like Jk2, then just go play Jk2"
 Darth Kaan
09-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Red Stance takes timing. I get just as many kills with it in JA as I did JO.
 lotr-sam0711
09-28-2003, 11:23 PM
I played the demo and I hated staff, Loved dual, Havn't tried single but I bet your'e right.
 nabroc
09-28-2003, 11:25 PM
I'll agree that for a real noob the staff and dual are easier to score some points on anything but a duel server (there it won't matter what they use). But when the players have a little experience, the random spamming of slashes and katas won't do it any longer. Checking saber only or duel servers I've seen people own with any of the 3 saber types (10/0 on duel or close to it, or #1 with 2x the score of player #2 on a saber FFA), it'll take just as good timing to hit a better player with a butterfly on 1vs1 as trying to land a good one with the single - mixing it up close against a single blade user with the staff seldom works, if the opponent know what he's doing, he'll just use his/her range advantage of the single. The katas of the staff and especially that of the dual saber are hardly useful in a duel, because you see them coming from way off. From my personal experience I'll do just as good/bad with any of the 3 types and the better the opponents get, the more it helps to have some decent experience with all of em to know what can and can't be accomplished.
Personally, up till now I see the 3 of em as fairly balanced, with the exception that I do feel the heavy (red) stance of the single saber could do just a little more damage. As already mentioned above, IMO it ain't the saber it's the wielder that makes the difference.
 CK_EmPreSS
09-28-2003, 11:34 PM
I agree. It depends on the player. If a player knows what they are doing with any of the 3 choices, they can win vs anything.
 Gauvain
09-29-2003, 12:13 AM
indeed single saber is really powerful when you know how to use it
but the other sabers are good as well
not for the cheap moves that everyone does (katas, spinning sabers or bfly kicks) but for COOLNESS :) and gameplay of course
i think its quite balanced
i play all sabers and styles and they are all worth playing
good job raven software :thumbsup:
 Quid
09-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Its kinda though using single in FFAs though...
Red DFA does nothing. lol
 BS87
09-29-2003, 1:52 AM
Red DFA is no longer the FFA master it was in JO. This is where the new Kata's come in. The blue and red kata's are absoulutly devestating in FFA
 Kurgan
09-29-2003, 1:53 AM
As far as I can tell they are all equal. Their power depends on the skill of the user.

The ONLY area I can think of where the non single sabers MIGHT have an advantage is in saber locks (I've never won with a single blade against a dual or staff). But I say that now with very little experience. Further testing is needed. I know you can try to push them away during a lock, so that might be an option.

Overall though, they have their own pros and cons. I use a variety of types and styles, depending on the game and my mood.
 Prime
09-29-2003, 1:54 AM
In the couple of games of FFA I played tongiht I found that blue uppercut is great for that dual saber floating twirl thingy. Just when they come out of it, wammo!
 Quid
09-29-2003, 2:04 AM
Yeah when people do that butterfly thingy, i just go the role and stab thing at them. Works good.
 VanishingVision
09-29-2003, 2:22 AM
Hey I agree, the single saber has the most versatility of the three saber types, I was playing on a few servers last night, and (not bragging) easily defeated the staff and duel spamers, I fought a few guys that knew how to use the staff and duals correctly and they were great fun... but I still won... 20 times in a row, won all four games in a row. The thing that deters people from the single saber, more specifically the red style is that

1. It's slow
2. It leaves you incredibly vulnerable
3. Its damage ratio is weaker than the staff & Duals

I couldn't believe that after landing a perfect DFA (I tested with a friend) I only did 20 to 30 damage, but my friend just spun around in front of me and grazed me for 35 damage... I mean c’mon!

But the single... more specifically the red stance has three points to it that make it incredibly powerful

1. It is highly time able, and precise
2.It breaks defenses and can knock the opponents saber out of their hand
3. It can have several sub styles

I have created a system of fighting in game with the red style that can do 70 to 100 damage per hit, and shield myself at the same time if I time it just right... without katas... just plain moves...

So all in all the single saber has a high learners curve and allows for a more strategic… open ended style(s) versus the other two styles... (Not that they don’t have strategic possibilities but they only have one style a piece, not counting turning of one end or second saber)

Well that’s just my humble opinion,

-VanishingVision
 Quid
09-29-2003, 2:33 AM
All I want is the old Red DFA back :P
 VanishingVision
09-29-2003, 3:22 AM
Heh... me too... but i'd rather take an up in overall damage lol

Cause I'm TRI-POLAR
-VanishingVision
 dyehead
09-29-2003, 4:45 AM
There is also a thread about how single saber is nerfed :)

You can post your opinions of single saber there as well..

I agree that it is not as powerful as the dual sabers or the light staff.
 obijonkenobi
09-29-2003, 5:04 AM
I use a sabrestaff and I don't consider myself a maul-wannabe. The reason I use it is because of the style of it. I just love the animations you get when doing differant moves. I'm vain and will take something that looks good over something that kills all without a second thought. If it happens to be pretty good as far as killing goes, that is just a nice bonus.

I used the single sabres, and dual sabres, but I found I like the staff better for pure vanity reasons.

So if people think I am just wanting to be Darth Maul, or that I took it to be "uber" then they obviously have know clue.

Some people pick certain things for style, not for being all powerful.

I don't play multiplayer however so I wouldnt know much about that scene.

ps: I don't even like Darth Maul as a character.
 SpDTheadkeFor
09-29-2003, 6:04 AM
The single saber works great if you are a jk2 duel veteran playing a guy who sucked at jk2 or is a jk3 noob, no matter what type of blade they have. But a single saber is useless, even if your skilled, against a moderately good jk2 player wielding a staff or duel sabers. The problem with jk3 is its way too easy to win with duel or staff because all you have to do is sweep (if you don't know how to sweep then U ARE SUCK!). Yesterday, using duel sabs, I beat a guy handily and I wasn't even paying attention to what he was doing, I was watching what people were chatting about! I mean give me a break! :rolleyes: And when I play my fellow tallented jk2 veterans, whoever wins, wins more on a lucky random swing than from their jk2 tallent. All the good jk2 duelers I know, these are people in clans like SDF, DD, AIM, BSoV, and Masters (if you've never heard of them u probably aren't a very good dueler) believe jk3 is a game that requires no skill to win. Some one either wins because they get a lucky random hit or they get screwed by a special that takes no tallent to execute. If they don't make jk3 more like jk2 then we will go back to jk2, my clan is already discussing this option and I'm sure others are as well.
 Kurgan
09-29-2003, 6:48 AM
I keep saying it's all personal preference (which is what Raven intended it to be). Some people say the staff is useless, others say the dual sabers are usless and still others the single.

And they turn around and say one of those is "uber" the others.

The game has only been out 2 weeks, but it seems more and more that people can't agree which one is useless or the strongest, so it keeps coming back to preference and skill of the user.

Maybe a mod should be made that takes away all of the moves from the single saber, and all it has is one button, you press it and you do the DFA and it kills in one hit and you can spin around.

Sound good? ; )
 Crow_Nest
09-29-2003, 7:22 AM
I will only use single saber for the blue stance kata and red kata....
 Kurgan
09-29-2003, 7:24 AM
You're right dh, some of you guys need to jump into your thread and share comments if they haven't already:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112590)

Anyone notice that the single saber has nowhere near the destructive power of the dual sabers or the light staff?

Nobody will "win" but at least you'll see that the "consensus" is not that the single saber is "nerfed" compared to the other two.

I assume you're saying that the single sabers are actually less able to win against Saberstaff and Dualsabers, and not that they simply do less actual damage right?

Because all saber types have so-called "one hit kill moves" (if they land) and all of them have weaker moves that do very little damage.
 Master William
09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
I do not care if single saber is weaker or something.
I always in in FFAs, duels, well, everything.

I know how to handle single saber very good, I just pull and do the blue stance dfa when they try to run away.

I almost never lose in JA nowadays :p
 Crow_Nest
09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
I almost never lose in JA nowadays

Don't get cocky!

One day someone might kick your butt!:p
 Gauvain
09-29-2003, 10:57 AM
hey VanishingVision, lets duel sometime, i wanna try if your hard stance style is as you said : just like mine :D :lsduel:
 Luc Solar
09-29-2003, 11:13 AM
I know how to handle single saber very good, I just pull and do the blue stance dfa when they try to run away.

You're probably referring to the blue lunge? (Crouch + forward & attack)

If I recall correctly, it was the JO yellow special that was originally named "the DFA" (Death From Above), but at some point the name was stolen by the red special move we all love to whore in JO FFA. :)

I think the name fits the medium special best, although it doesn't really bring death to anyone because it's too easy to avoid. :D

Back on topic: I like the single saber too but I wish they gave us the old DFA back though. I doubt it would unbalance things. Right now the DFA seems like a total waste. I don't think I've killed anyone with that move even when I connect perfectly..multiple times in a row. :(

Does anyone know what the damage of a DFA is? 20? :rolleyes:
 Sam Fisher
09-29-2003, 11:38 AM
I still use one saber all the time in JA, but sometimes I use dual sabers for fun. I rotate.(sp?)
 |GG|Carl
09-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Seriously, Single Saber is the best!
No, it's not! Staff is best!:p
 BloodRiot
09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
It's a bit of an irony i guess... Back in JO I plaied Single saber cuz it was the only one available without using the staff cheat or a mod...even using mods, the dual sabers and the staff never did appeal to me cuz they had single saber animations or derivants that clipped alot and put the style off completely (Well it did count to me as a big no no ;p go figure).

Now suddenly we got 2 new saber we always wanted fitted with proper animations and all... BUT... after reading the "singel saber sux!" threads... I felt compeled to play it and see what's the deal with it.

A big surprise to me... cuz i was hoping to play alot with the staff cuz i simply love the weapon techinique (based on the Bo staff I believe) when I found Single saber to be my favorite. And although I have to admit some moves from the staff and dual make killing easy... it's not at all impossible to win with the single saber.. and I use mostly yellow stance as primary stance, then add red and blue tricks in the middle when i see the oportunity.

What balances the most I think is that although powerful, the dual and staff high damage moves are avoidable (specially but not only when simply spammed without good understanding and timming) and leave the staff/dual users completely open for attack. The singel Katas are just as useful as the other 2 saber katas with the advantage that...unlike the other 2...you have 3 katas available to you.

The red DFA is indeed weaker than JO but better thought of as it is no longer a spam move but a strategic move... there is always a time when opponents are locked in place cuz you dodged their uber move and theyr are standing there...finishing it.

The Yellow DFA happens to be hard to hit... but not entirely impossible... I still need more training with this one... cuz i have to figure out when and how exactly to perform it... I have hit it..and i have the general clue...like i said..time to test it.
My guess is you have to hit after you reached the apex of the jump and you should be behind the oppoent already. The move probably has to be perform so that you start at some distance of the oppoent and land right behind and next to them. This is my guess...testing later.

I'll just give a few tips on how i fight... many may think they are basic automatic but i'll just say them anyway.
* General tip: Study your opponent and explore its weaknesses wheter it's predictability or using the open defense of a missed kata for instance.
*Alternate between Offensive and Defensive techniques. Some fit oppoenets and/or situations better than others.
*Taking the last point into account...ilude your opponent into thinking you are going defensive when you are just setting him up for an offense (gotta luv when they dont see'em comming :D)
*to mash buttons or not to mash buttons? Mash in the sense you are trying mindlessly and desperatly to hit your oppoent... definetly NOT as it causes a big gap in your defense and any skilled player will take advantage of that. Everyone has luck and sometimes it may payoff...it simply is random and cannot be relied upon.
*Single sabers although not the stronger, are surelly the most versatile. Forget what JO was all about...dont stick to Red stance..see what the other 2 stances have to offer and explore their every move.
*Staff and duel have the ability to gain on you while attacking...avoid them and get them before they finish the move.
*Single Katas dont gain ground on opponent? no prob..set your opponents up... make them come to you... be ready to dodge if they start anything deadly and use the kata on them if they dont and get close enough.

Well There are more lil pointers... but im just not giving everything away now am I? ;p

Just remember play with your brains... save your mouse... and enjoy sainlge saber :)
 VanishingVision
09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
hey VanishingVision, lets duel sometime, I wanna try if your hard stance style is as you

Sure... anytime! e-mail me at visionjunk@hotmail.com or visit my character website at www.vanishingvision.vze.com) and post a time or lol post what time at http://shadowwinds.proboards20.com/) or lol ICQ me at 156398732 or you could even join TWL or COG and contact me there... lol I am easily contactable...

Enjoy the joys of modern communication!
-VanishingVision
 Doug Thompson
09-29-2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by nabroc
... But when the players have a little experience, the random spamming of slashes and katas won't do it any longer. ... The katas of the staff and especially that of the dual saber are hardly useful in a duel, because you see them coming from way off. ... the better the opponents get, the more it helps to have some decent experience with all of em to know what can and can't be accomplished.
... IMO it ain't the saber it's the wielder that makes the difference.

That sound right.
 Astrotoy7
09-29-2003, 2:48 PM
I almost never lose in JA nowadays

Yeah, me too, I love the "Solo Game" option :P

MTFBWYA
 Quid
09-29-2003, 4:11 PM
Wish i could win all the time :(. They seem to just bum rush me with duel or staff and whoop me. I hate it.
 StaffMaster
09-29-2003, 5:33 PM
dunno bout double but it actually takes more skill to weild a saberstaff against an experienced player.
 Master William
09-29-2003, 6:07 PM
I almost never lose nowadays...

that's what I said, it was not competely true, it was a joke (seems to me people thought it wasn't) :p
 VanishingVision
09-29-2003, 6:18 PM
Don't worry about it William, some people aren't well versed in sarcasm. LOL ^_^

Um... SINGLE SABER ROCKS,
-VanishingVision
 Cosmos Jack
09-29-2003, 7:25 PM
Personally I like all the "NOOB" name calling, because someone uses a Saber staff or Dual Sabers. I guess Raven put them in game for the NPCs to use, or maybe just to look pretty. Thanks guys, but you should have known that only NOOBs use that stuff right. lol

I know they aren't all well balanced yet. That can ether get better with patching or worse like in the past. :rolleyes:

I played JKII from the time it came out never got the hang of the saber tell the later part of the games life. It was like a light bulb one day "Oh so that's how it goes" type of thing.

As far as what's more powerful the Single, Dual Sabers, or Saber Staff. None make any difference if you don't know how to us them. I think you could have the most overpowered uber weapon in game and if you are a idiot with it you might as well give up.

For that matter never pull out a knife in a gun fight. ;) Unless you run out of ammunition. I love all the screaming and crying when someone tries to attack me with a saber "any saber" lol and I blast them with a gun. Here are my comments for all the knife fighters out there.

(1) If you didn't want me shooting at you and killing you again and again why do you attack me?
(2) If you want to dual people why did you come to a FFA with Guns?
(3) If you don't like the way I play leave.

Ah guns another NOOB weapon. I guess I must be a NOOB I keep using all the weapons Raven put in the game. Why they keep putting all this no skill stuff in game? It's a waist of time. this game would be so much better with "NO Dual Saber, NO Saber Staff, and NO GUNS" right. Every server playing the same game with everyone doing the same moves over and over with the same weapons. SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only NOOBs in this game are the people running around calling people NOOBs. Last I check everyone playing this game is a NOOB... Generally 9 out of 10 times the people crying and screaming NOOB this and NOOB that. When the game ends they're at the bottom of the board.

For all the wonderful people out there like that...
I got your NOOB right here B!tch..........
 Master William
09-29-2003, 7:30 PM
rofl at you

I'm not saying people ARE noobs that use dual sabers (and thats the only thing I called something with 'noob'), I'm just seeing the dual sabers as a sort of noob weapon, I don't see the wielder of them as a noob though.

I like staff though. But I never use it.
 DungeonShade
09-29-2003, 7:37 PM
I like staff and single the best. I use staff more often though cause I usually play on TFFA where there are lots of people around. However, when I'm doing 1v1, I switch to single a lot. Light stance is easy to gets hits with, but the low damage negates the swiftness advantage. I don't think any of the sabers are significantly better than others, which really pleases me.
 Cosmos Jack
09-29-2003, 7:44 PM
I'm not saying people ARE noobs that use dual sabers (and thats the only thing I called something with 'noob'), I'm just seeing the dual sabers as a sort of noob weapon, I don't see the wielder of them as a noob though. Hmm Really No need to retract your statement for me. As far as I'm concerned you can think what you want..........
I call the dual sabers 'noob sticks'.
 Kurgan
09-29-2003, 7:47 PM
I think the cries of "noob noob!" come primarily from people who think that users of non single sabers are "fanboys" who use them only because they were featured in the prequel movies (and because they liked the prequels, they just not be TRUE fans, but little kids who joined the star wars franchise late, etc darth maul worshippers, etc.).

The other reason is that since many have played JK2 and considered themselves to have "mastered" the (single) saber combat, they consider themselves masters (or nearly masters) of it already. They are resistant to new stuff being put in the game to compete with their mastery.

It would be sort of like if I were a Merr Sonn player who was great in JK2 and now suddenly I have to deal with a bunch of cocky Concussion Rifle experts. I'd moan about the "good old days" that "these kids today" couldn't possibly appreciate. ; )
 -=FB=-Jagged
09-29-2003, 7:51 PM
I dunno if one is better than two, or two in one. I think it depends on your style. I can rock on all three, but I prefer the staff; it seems to make contact more often, and I feel it causes more damage. No saberthrow is it's drawback. Duel sabers are great fun, but they leave you vulnerable when you swing, I feel like they're too flashy, and just don't get it done. I'm sorry, I'm probably bias against single saber because its kind of out of date. Whatever floats your boat, though.

:lsduel:
 Cosmos Jack
09-29-2003, 8:18 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
It would be sort of like if I were a Merr Sonn player who was great in JK2 and now suddenly I have to deal with a bunch of cocky Concussion Rifle experts. I'd moan about the "good old days" that "these kids today" couldn't possibly appreciate. ; ) Concussion Rifle hmm if you can get it to work right. On the few levels where there is one it runs out of ammunition on me after the 1st shot. lol I'm heavy Repeater guy myself and sometimes a blaster rifle or Thermo detonators.... AH Thermo detonators.

If you see a guy running around killing loads of people with Thermo detonators. It most likely is me... Allot of people haven't learned the right time to push them away yet. It's just so much fun watching poeple dance...
Page: 1 of 2