Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

how to extract dark forces music??

Page: 1 of 1
 ummagummaaaaa
09-27-2003, 5:00 AM
hey, I just reinstalled Dark Forces II ( yes, the original game) and want to burn a CD of the soundtrack to listen to.

does anyone know how to get the .wav files off of the CD?

thx!
 Darth_Linux
09-27-2003, 7:49 AM
music match jukebox should be able to rip the audio tracks off of the Jedi Knight CD with no problem.
 The_One
09-27-2003, 12:12 PM
And any version of Windows Media Player (Windows XP versions) should be able to rip them.
 Katarn07
09-27-2003, 6:39 PM
Originally posted by The_One
And any version of Windows Media Player (Windows XP versions) should be able to rip them.

I have Windows 98 and I was able to rip them off with WMP 9.0
 ummagummaaaaa
09-27-2003, 7:24 PM
how do I find them on the CD?

the music only plays when disc 1 is in my cdrom during the game, but I can't find any audio files on the disc? only the .GOB files, which I assume is compiled data?

thx!!
 Katarn07
09-27-2003, 7:50 PM
Do you have WMP?

Open it up. Go to the 'Now Playing' section, then select your CD drive (ie Jedi Knight [E:]) and then you should see 7 tracks with disk one in there. If you do see these 7 tracks, proceed to 'Copy from CD' and then check off all 7 things, hit the 'Copy Music' icon. Wait for it, then pop in disk 2. Arrange them accordingly into a playlist of how you'd like them to be ordered and save the playlist.

Once you did that, continue on to 'Copy to CD or Device' and on the 'Items to Copy' drop menu, select the playlist you just made. Then, in the 'Items on Device' menu, select the Roxio CD burning thing and you're done. I may be wrong about being able to get it onto a CD, but you can do everything I did in that first paragraph.
 Lundquist
09-27-2003, 9:24 PM
eh? If I remember correctly 'Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight' doesn't use gob files - only the first Dark Forces.
DF2:JK has redbook audio so you can just throw it in your cd player.
 ummagummaaaaa
09-27-2003, 11:50 PM
no, it has the .GOB files....there are also some .SMK files too, though.

RES1HI.GOB
RES1LOW.GOB

I am guessing those are the sound files? they are in "gamedata-->mininstall" dir

the .SMK files are in the video folder.

fwiw the game is called "star wars:jedi knight, dark forces II" and is 2 CD's.

no audio tracks show up in WMP, winamp, or foobar.

thx again for the help!!
 I.M.H.D.
09-28-2003, 1:47 AM
The GOB files for Jedi Knight have only the SFX. The SMK files are the movies-- if you want to edit them you can get editors. But the music really is on the CD in audio CD format-- I can listen to it in RealOne, at least. I'm not sure why you want it, though-- all of it is music from the movies. Go out and buy a soundtrack CD.
 ummagummaaaaa
09-28-2003, 2:01 AM
that's funny, I don't get any .cda or audio tracks showing up in windows...maybe I'll try popping it in my portable CD player?

I did find a program called "conman" that unzips the .GOB files, but you're right, browsing through all the folders only reveals soundeffects!
 ummagummaaaaa
09-28-2003, 2:05 AM
what the heck??

it plays on my portable CD player, but not my PC!!

and no audio tracks show up in windows either...I even tried cooledit pro, but it doesn't see anything on there.

hmmmm. well, I guess I don't need to burn a CD, I can just plug the game CD in my player :D

bizarre.

thanks for all the help!!

*edit*

I just tried using Nero to look at the disc, and the audio tracks show up as # 2-8; track #1 is an .nra (?) file or something, with all the game data. for some reason win2k isn't seeing the audio tracks though. so if I program my cd player to play #2-8 it works fine.
 Fracman
09-28-2003, 6:24 AM
Your computer defaults to the data track.
Close any JK application and then try to run the cd-player software, it should be able to play the audio tracks.
Page: 1 of 1