Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JA humanoid skeleton

Page: 1 of 1
 CortoCG
09-26-2003, 1:54 PM
For those who tried to import the .xsi files from the JA modelling tools pack, and discovered that the current XSI 3.0 importer wasn't working with them, I've ripped a nice and neat JA skeleton. It has all the bones and no more than the _humanoid.gla has.

Go grab it here: www.cortocg.com/phpBB2) under the Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy forum.
 reaper1576
09-26-2003, 3:45 PM
nice work corto as always
 Duncan_10158
09-27-2003, 9:05 AM
Corto, such a skeleton is a great thing and i realy would like to use it. but i wasnt able to d/l it without registering on your forum. is that intention? could you please make your great humanoid skeleton public without any conditions, like we all agreed in the JA user license.

thanks very much
 Psyk0Sith
09-27-2003, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by CortoCG
For those who tried to import the .xsi files from the JA modelling tools pack, and discovered that the current XSI 3.0 importer wasn't working with them, I've ripped a nice and neat JA skeleton. It has all the bones and no more than the _humanoid.gla has.

Meh, so typical, why in hell wouldnt the previous importer be compatible? ok probably because they upgraded XSI or somthin.

At least we have something to work with thanx to Corto. :)
 CortoCG
09-27-2003, 3:58 PM
Duncan, Iґm sorry, I didnґt read the bull**** conditions the forums say when registering, Iґll erase them and put something funny and friendly instead.

The only reason I use my own forums to post my stuff is bcuz Lucasforums is full of uninterested ppl that always clutter the threads with nonsense. But you can register for FREE!!! Hey!
 ksk h2o
09-30-2003, 3:14 PM
I'm having some weird problems with the nex root.xsi

I went ahead and downloaded the latest xsi plugin for max. However something is fishy. The importer does not seem to import the old bone objects as bones. At least 3ds max does not recognise them as bones. You cant just hide the bone category and get rid of them, you need to make a selection set which you manually hide.

Another thing is that wireframes seem to be invisible (this is also the case for the skeleton you provided corto). While I can see the tags in shaded view, if I switch to wireframe, just about everything but the bone endpoints go invisible.

My question would be: 1) does it matter that the bones in the imported XSI are not considered bones by max? 2) What am I missing with this invisible wireframe stuff?

=)
 ksk h2o
09-30-2003, 3:16 PM
I'm having some weird problems with the nex root.xsi

I went ahead and downloaded the latest xsi plugin for max. However something is fishy. The importer does not seem to import the old bone objects as bones. At least 3ds max does not recognise them as bones. You cant just hide the bone category and get rid of them, you need to make a selection set which you manually hide.

Another thing is that wireframes seem to be invisible (this is also the case for the skeleton you provided corto). While I can see the tags in shaded view, if I switch to wireframe, just about everything but the bone endpoints go invisible.

My question would be: 1) does it matter that the bones in the imported XSI are not considered bones by max? 2) What am I missing with this invisible wireframe stuff?

=)
 CortoCG
09-30-2003, 5:46 PM
I don't think I saw this questions on my forums. In that case, go figure.
 ksk h2o
10-01-2003, 8:56 AM
Hehe... the problem is not isolated to the skeleton you provided.

I actually ran into it FIRST on the original root.xsi imported with the new XSI import plugin from softimage. And more so ince even the imported meshes with the new plugin seem to loose most attributes and have insivible wireframes.

The skeleton which you generously provided, did however show the same charactersistics, so I began to wonder if this is due to the new version of XSI in JA.

I didn't ask this question in your forums as it is a general JA/new XSI format import problem (weather the new XSI import, not classifying bones as bones in max would affect the export and assembly of the model) and it is directed at a wider audience here. But if it will make you happy I will cut and paste the same question there too, especially if you know the answer to my problem. =)
 Pipedream
10-07-2003, 2:56 AM
I'm trying to deal with this imported skeleton as well. My first thought was to go ahead and attempt to weight the helpers just as if they are bones. In the bone tools rollout in Max5 there is a checkbox to make any object into a bone. This doesnt change anything graphic - it just tells max to treat the objects as bones. My guess is that this would work, with or without that checkbox checked.

But skinning using these helpers as bones is a real pain in the butt. Your initial envelopes end up being tiny little red circles around the helper. I like to weight game characters by hand, so thats not a terribly big deal. But without that graphical representation of the bone, it's easy to lose track of which bone is supposed to be influencing which area.

So I'm back to square one really: I need a basic skeleton if I want to get any models done without losing hair.

One good idea that *almost* works, is to use bone tools to set the right objects as bones and then export out to filmbox format. When i go to import the scene back in, I can define the default bone widths (.5 seems to work okay). This works, but not perfectly. End effectors arent created correctly, and some bones are appearing inverted.

I may attempt to rebuild the skeleton, but since I dont know exactly what the old skeleton looked like, some areas will be tough.

Thats where I'm at now - If I end up with a working skeleton, i'll definately post it so everyone can use it.
 CortoCG
10-07-2003, 5:00 AM
I just finished another JA model using that skeleton and everything turned just fine.
Btw, don't manually paint weights... unless you wanna loose your hair, lol. Just select the vertices and assign an abs value to them. It's way more fast than hand painting them, and way more precise than using the envelopes' gizmos.
On the other hand, many ppl can find annoying the fact of using small crosses or boxes and think of them as bones... Sorry guys, seems like my level of abstraction is higher, and I'm too lazy to work on something else... If ain't broken don't fix it, that's america's way, =).
 CortoCG
10-07-2003, 5:37 AM
I posted a new skeleton with "bones" and tags in .max and .xsi at my website. I hope you understand better this one than the first one. Have a nice day, =).
 Psyk0Sith
10-08-2003, 1:17 AM
For those who dont want to use the skeleton provided by Corto, it is possible to use the "old" skeleton from JO.

You just have to remove some of the bones from the skin modifier list or simply delete the bones from the skeleton.

When you try to compile, the unecessary bones will be listed so you cant go wrong.

The tag bones need to be weighted correctly (at least the mc5 bone is not weighted to anything and no tags are weighted to it).

I havent fully tested the converted model yet so i cannot say it works 100%.
 CortoCG
10-08-2003, 2:46 AM
You're perfectly right Psyk0, atmof I grabbed and good ol' JO skeleton and erased the bones that will scr00 your model if you use them. So it's perfectly safe to use the one I posted now, it has the bone meshes and all.
 Wa'es
10-08-2003, 3:28 PM
Good deal, thank you.

I'll check it out tonight. And don't say no one said "Thank you", because I just did.
 CortoCG
10-08-2003, 5:07 PM
Bitte Wa'es, =).
Page: 1 of 1