Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gender-specific dialogue ingame?

Page: 1 of 1
 Rassick
08-31-2003, 2:34 PM
We know that in JA your player-character has spoken dialogue. They probably just repeat the same lines, but have a female voice actor read 'em if your character is female.

But will this affect NPCs in any way? In JK2 when you fought stormtroopers as Kyle, sometimes they would say "Get behind him!" If you're playing as a female do you think they'll say "Get behind her!" or maybe make a unique new line like "Blast her!" or something? Or would they still say "Get behind him!" no matter who you were playing?

Tell me what you think.:)
 HaruGlory89
08-31-2003, 2:39 PM
Hmm, never thought of that. Maybe a simple "Kill the Jedi!" or "Fire!"
 TK-8252
08-31-2003, 2:40 PM
That's a good question. In MotS, the Stormtroopers would say he or she depending on if you are playing as Kyle or Mara. I would like to know if there are different voices for the different species. A Rodian would definantly sound different that a Human.
 Obi-Wan X
08-31-2003, 2:44 PM
Lets hope so! With so many changes depending on race and gender, this shouldnt be to hard a task. Simply a Stormtrooper#2 would suffice, same model and the like, but with different dialouge.
 Rassick
08-31-2003, 3:12 PM
Or maybe they took the easy way out and simply removed the "Get behind him!" line from the game. :D
 Kurgan
08-31-2003, 5:59 PM
They had to deal with this in Elite Force as well, so I'm sure they'll figure a way to pull it off (the alien voices might be tricky though... I mean we know what a Rodian sounds like, but what does a Kel Doar sound like?).
 Pedro The Hutt
09-01-2003, 6:35 PM
Perhaps a bit like Boba/Jango Fett and Vader, basically like it would sound like when talking through a breathing mask. But I imagine them to have booming deep voices lol.
 |GG|Carl
09-01-2003, 7:47 PM
I hope they will chnge this(even if it will be hard for the game to detect gender on a person):

tavion recieved a kick in his face by desann

You know what I mean?
 The Cheat
09-01-2003, 10:58 PM
it would be cool to have the dialogue change, i remember in elite force when you played as the female tuvok said "MISS munro"
 Andy867
09-01-2003, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they do incorporate gender-specific dialogue into the game since obviously there is the choice for female AND male genders to choose from.
 Jedith
09-02-2003, 1:49 AM
The male gender jedis have a generic male voice. The female as well, have their own generic female voice.
 Kurgan
09-02-2003, 4:48 AM
Well that would make sense. And just use the male voice put through some distortion for the Kel Dor.

But what about the Rodian male?

I guess a Rodian could speak Basic with a "human accent" (for lack of a better term... I would say Coruscant accent, but the people from there tend to sound British).
 Andy867
09-02-2003, 5:17 AM
Originally posted by Jedith
The male gender jedis have a generic male voice. The female as well, have their own generic female voice.

How are you so sure that they are just using generic male and female voices. I mean, obviously a male Kel'dor will sound different from a human male? Wouldnt Raven have thought of using some sort of scramble or voice altering software for each species?
 Pedro The Hutt
09-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Or simply hire 5 different voice actors and actresses for the playable characters, if not even more. >.>
 StormHammer
09-02-2003, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
But what about the Rodian male?

I guess a Rodian could speak Basic with a "human accent" (for lack of a better term... I would say Coruscant accent, but the people from there tend to sound British).

>.>
<.<

Really? Can't say I'd noticed. O.o

Anyway, I would prefer hearing the Rodian speak rodian, and just have some subtitles underneath to translate it. That would make it feel even more 'Star Wars' IMHO... I certainly hope to see that sort of thing in cut scenes (if need be).
 Andy867
09-02-2003, 6:33 PM
(In Rodian native tongue)
(Going somewhere Solo?)

That kind of thing, course, it wouldn't be hard I would think for a modder to set up some kind of language like Klingon or Atlantean and use that as a language thats universal. I mean, most people seem to understand what Chewbacca says, even though there is no subtitles for him. I wouldn't say do that that for a Rodian, but perhaps for a Kel'Dor in their own sort of way but with subtitles obviously. but since Zabraks apparently from the movies are able to talk in an english tone, there is no need for change for them.
 Pedro The Hutt
09-02-2003, 6:34 PM
Well every Rodian seen in the movies spoke huttesse, but their native tongue would be nice.
 Obi-Wan X
09-02-2003, 6:49 PM
Im quite sure that gender specific dialouge will be in, but i'm not sure if there will be race specific dialouge. I hope there will be...but who knows :confused:
 Andy867
09-02-2003, 7:06 PM
Raven and LucasArts, that's who ;)
 Jedith
09-02-2003, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
Raven and LucasArts, that's who ;) ...and don't forget, the punks that pirated the game. :p
 Andy867
09-02-2003, 7:30 PM
This is the kind of dialogue that would be nice.. They talk in their normal native tongue, or one they are familiar with, and then push english subtitles in.

GREEDO: Oota-goota, Solo? [Going somewhere, Solo?]

GREEDO: Soam peeta-lay, ee mail-ai tran tee-tachk-me gee-ghkeet'na.
Jabba wa-neen-chi chko-ka a noo-ee shah-nee trai-tran-a-ee wan-ya rooska. Hehe. Chaski nya wich-yootzoo. [It's too late. You should have paid him when you had the chance. Jabba's put a price on your head, so large that every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. Hehe. I'm lucky I found you first.]

GREEDO: El chai-ya chkoolka in-tai cool-a-coo-soo-a. [If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.]

GREEDO: Tsee-na hai chee-kee! So chkool rool ya pool ya-ya ool-ra si pachki chka coo-shoo-koo poo-yoo-wa twee-pee. [Jabba's through with you. He has no use for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.]

GREEDO: Ktra! Jabba poo pa coom-pak ni achkat an-pa! [You can tell that to Jabba. He may only take your ship.]

GREEDO: Oochlay yoo-ma... Chess bookoo-too ta chkeest-a chkren-ko, ya ol-chka. [That's the idea. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.]
 Assault3000
09-03-2003, 11:28 AM
[Deleted Leaked beta Information]
 Drivian Taluus
09-03-2003, 10:17 PM
I remember a few times in MOTS when the Stormies would say "Blast him!" to Mara. I don't blame 'em though, they can't see anything.
 Andy867
09-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Drivian Taluus
I remember a few times in MOTS when the Stormies would say "Blast him!" to Mara. I don't blame 'em though, they can't see anything.

Yea, or they thought Mara was actinglike more of a man then what they consider a woman;)

But then again, you are right. Luke had trouble seeing out of "his" stormtrooper helmet..

"LUKE: I can't see a thing in this helmet."
 yolkboy
09-04-2003, 2:07 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
GREEDO: Soam peeta-lay, ee mail-ai tran tee-tachk-me gee-ghkeet'na. Jabba wa-neen-chi chko-ka a noo-ee shah-nee trai-tran-a-ee wan-ya rooska.
:lol: LOL! I was reading this fast and thought that this is what Greedo was saying: "Some pretty lady e-mailed me on the train and telephoned me. Jabba wants a chick and none shall trade, really risky."

No offense to anyone. It's just I was skimming through. I had to read it twice to understand it. :D
 Redwing
09-04-2003, 2:38 AM
I remember the stormies in MotS saying "Blast her!" when referring to Mara. :D

It would really be shoddy work if everyone referred to your character in the game as male, even if you were a different gender...
 Jedith
09-05-2003, 2:59 AM
Think about it, it'd take so much more space if they made additional voices for the Rodian and the Kel Dorr players..
I think they'll probably use a generic voices for male and female.
If they do make voices for Rodians and Keldor, they don't speak English, what are we going to do? Read subtitles? :p

But I'm just assuming..
 Pedro The Hutt
09-05-2003, 5:23 PM
Subtitles are fine with me. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be posting here right now hehe.
But I dunno, you could assume that they'd at least get another voice for the Rodian, I think that every Star Wars fan worth his salt would protest if a Rodian spoke with a regular human voice. Besides, there are still things as file compression. But ah well.. two weeks to go , or less, depending on where you are, for our questions to be answered.
 TK-8252
09-05-2003, 8:08 PM
:wstupid:
You guys are a bit off. Rodians can speak english if they want. Good example: Reelo. Remember him? The fat Rodian crime-boss from JO. He spoke english, so there's no need for subtitles.
Page: 1 of 1