Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Drain in JA

Page: 1 of 1
 NickoHead
08-24-2003, 8:54 AM
Ok, i was looking at that pic of Force Drain on the official site, and i thought it looked pretty cool how he was strangling that officer. I was wondering, how come in some screens it shows the normal Force Drain like in JO, and in this pic it shows him strangling the officer and draining him.

If this is in JA, will it be in MP as well or what?

thx ;)
 SettingShadow
08-24-2003, 10:17 AM
My guess is that the pic with normal drain is from an older version.
 FK | unnamed
08-24-2003, 10:29 AM
those pics all over the site are from SP.
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by NickoHead
Ok, i was looking at that pic of Force Drain on the official site, and i thought it looked pretty cool how he was strangling that officer. I was wondering, how come in some screens it shows the normal Force Drain like in JO, and in this pic it shows him strangling the officer and draining him.

If this is in JA, will it be in MP as well or what?

thx ;)

Well, maybe I'm missing something, but the only screenshot showing the 'normal' Drain from JO is the one with the Rancor. The ones from SP against humanoid opponents show the 'Death Hug'.

It makes sense to me that you can't use the 'death hug' on the Rancor, because if you get that close, you're lunch.

By the same token, when Drain is being used against you by your opponents, they don't get you in the 'death hug'...and maybe that's just for reasons of game flow. Alternatively maybe you can't use it on Dark Jedi, and Dark Jedi can't use it on you - but everyone else is fair game? Intriguing...

As for MP, I imagine it will remain the same as in JO due to the faster pace of combat.
 Qui-Zan
08-24-2003, 12:33 PM
the 'Death Hug' as stormy put it, happens when you are within reaching distance of the person you want to do it to, any further away and you'd do the normal JO drain.
 master_thomas
08-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Interesting. Is there any real advantage to doing this? Faster drain rate or something? It just seems dangerous to run up to an enemy jedi with two lightsabers or a double bladed lightsaber, and grabbing him by the neck.
 Kurgan
08-24-2003, 9:49 PM
Perhaps it works differently on different levels.

Perhaps on Level 1, you *have* to get very close to use it and you do a "hug" animation. Perhaps on Level 3, it has more range, and so you get the more traditional looking drain.

This would be similar to how in JK2 SP, you had heal on level one where you had to kneel and meditate and it slowly healed you, verses level 3 which was an almost instantenous heal which didn't interrupt your other actions.
 Emon
08-24-2003, 9:52 PM
Wasn't there some preview on an unofficial site that explained it? I thought it was the multiple force levels.
 praenuntius
08-27-2003, 5:09 AM
I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed.

Isn't this a Force combo with Grip and Drain together?
 HaruGlory89
08-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Isn't this a Force combo with Grip and Drain together?

Maybe, but I thought grip lets you choke the opponent without actually touching him.
 TiBo
08-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Guess we will just have to wait and find out.
Page: 1 of 1