Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Official Site Music Updates (SPOILERS)

Page: 1 of 1
 te27ch
08-23-2003, 9:36 PM
On the official site they now have music while you browse. This wouldn't normally be very important except it confirms a rumor:

SPOILERS (I guess)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Darth Vader's Castle location is now confirmed. On the music selector you can switch through a few different tracks. One of them is "Vjun Theme". Hardcore EU fans like me will recognize this as the planet where Vader's castle, also known as Bast Castle, is located.

another possible spoiler: KORRIBAN!!! Yup, there are 2 songs that comfirm this: Korriban Light Theme and Korriban Dark Theme. Maybe we can try to find out which screenies are which now.
--

Also, We have Tusken Raider theme, Rancor theme (remember that screenie?), Jedi Academy theme, and jedi theme.

These don't really appear to be original themes, though. They're just remixes of the John Williams stuff. I can't verify that, though, 'cause I havent finished downloading them all :(

Go and check out the official site and see/listen for yourself.
 StormHammer
08-23-2003, 10:04 PM
I must be missing something...because I hear no music...and see no options to enable (or change) music. :confused:
 Uber_Saber
08-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Storm. When the site first pops up, go to the JO symbol that splits open to reveal the menu system. Go to the right symbol of the two that border the menu.

Just to the right of that symbol is a small icon that vaguely resembes a speaker. Click that and you'll get the options.
 StormHammer
08-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Uber_Saber
Storm. When the site first pops up, go to the JO symbol that splits open to reveal the menu system. Go to the right symbol of the two that border the menu.

Just to the right of that symbol is a small icon that vaguely resembes a speaker. Click that and you'll get the options.

Okay...I'm going loopy...or the site is going loopy. I see no icon, and just to prove it...

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/closed.jpg)

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/open.jpg)

Where on there is the icon supposed to be? :/
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Try entering the "gallery" first... it should be there on the right.
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Hmm...very strange. I tried updating Flash...but I already had version 6. I went to Macromedia's website...and that seemed to update shockwave - but the JA site still didn't show the icon.

For some reason I can't remember I went to the main Lucasarts site...and clicked on a the JA site link on that page...and suddenly the icon appeared.

It's like it had not updated via a direct link to the site...

Totally weird...but I have managed to get it working now.

For anyone else who experiences this problem...try going to the Lucasarts main site as I did, and accessing it from there. :/
 ImmolatedYoda
08-24-2003, 12:32 AM
the use of cut together sequences from John Williams movie tracks is not surprising at all. Dark Forces is the only Star Wars game ive played (or can remember) that has purely original music. unfortunately, theyre all MIDIs :\. take a look through the JO pk3s for the music files...and youll find a few hundred tracks of cut-together pieces. i assume this is for dynamic music, but i dont like it.
 te27ch
08-24-2003, 12:51 AM
I discovered the music when i went to the downloads section. the icon is in the described location there. Unfortunately for dial-up users like me, the music is probably in some sort of mp3 format. Oh well, i dont really want to save the songs, the titles were the important thing.
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 1:03 AM
It would be cool if they include those tracks in the Downloads section, because streaming them over 56k they are very disjointed. If I could d/l them as MP3s I could play them back at my leisure and enjoy them. As it is, I'm just getting a flavour - but what I can hear sounds good. :(

I really don't mind the John Williams soundtracks being utilised, though I do agree it would be nice to hear new little themes for each of the main characters in the story - much as Vader, Luke, Leia etc., have their own themes in the films.

And on a side note, I'd love to hear DF's music played by a real orchestra... ;)
 te27ch
08-24-2003, 1:17 PM
Well, technically they aren't streaming, and the are 56k mp3s. If you want to listen to them whenever you want you'll just have to download them all on their site, and then enter windows sound recorder, set it to record from line out or cd audio or something like that (i forget) and then play the tracks. I was gonna do that, but I've already heard so much of that JW stuff before.

*dark forces theme being played by orchestra*

Bum buh daaaaaaa buh dum buh daaaaaa deee dum

duh duh dum duh duh dum duh duh dum.....

It could never really happen though...

Director of the London Symphony Orchestra: Okay, today we just got a new peice of music from a 10-year-old star wars video game.....
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by te27ch
*dark forces theme being played by orchestra*

Bum buh daaaaaaa buh dum buh daaaaaa deee dum

duh duh dum duh duh dum duh duh dum.....

It could never really happen though...

Director of the London Symphony Orchestra: Okay, today we just got a new peice of music from a 10-year-old star wars video game.....

Well, actually, it's not such a crazy notion. Wasn't there supposed to be a live concert with a real orchestra that was going to play 'themes' from several video games? Game music can be very, very good, and a showcase of some of the best 'works' is not unreasonable. ;)

If you listen to the soundtrack for Outcast (not Jedi Outcast, but the game with Cutter Slade made by Appeal.be), then you'll get some idea of what I mean. They did use a real orchestra and choir, and the music is very 'cinematic' in feel.

It's just a matter of finding an orchestra willing to take it on board. Even an 'amateur' orchestra might make a good job of it... ;)

But I digress. If the tracks on the JA site are supposed to run smoothly, they don't on my connection. I get a few seconds of music, and a few seconds pause, all the way through every track. :( To 'record' them...I'd have to do some major work removing the gaps and splicing it all together...
 txa1265
08-24-2003, 1:32 PM
Thanks for mentioning that ... on Friday I was checking my 'temporary internet items' to grab the Trailer #2 to check size compared to GameSpot, and noticed the tusken theme ... I was going to check it for other stuff tomorrow. Now I know how to force the downloads! Thanks!

Mike
 Uber_Saber
08-24-2003, 1:32 PM
Really, if you want the music, go out and get the Special Edition soundtracks. (The ones with two CD's. They're worth it anyway.)

Buh-buh-bum buh-buh-bumm buh-buh-bum. (The strings part before the brass come in with the DF theme)
 lukeiamyourdad
08-24-2003, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer

But I digress. If the tracks on the JA site are supposed to run smoothly, they don't on my connection. I get a few seconds of music, and a few seconds pause, all the way through every track. :( To 'record' them...I'd have to do some major work removing the gaps and splicing it all together...

No need. Having a 56K myself I had the exact same problem. You just have to wait 'til the loading is totally over(al tracks have been loaded). You can play them again without the pauses.
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 2:27 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
No need. Having a 56K myself I had the exact same problem. You just have to wait 'til the loading is totally over(al tracks have been loaded). You can play them again without the pauses.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

It didn't quite work that way for me...even after they'd all 'loaded' and it went back to the first track, it started trying to 'load' it again. But by skipping back through them, the 'loaded' tracks will now play in their entirety.

Thanks again. ;)
 boinga1
08-24-2003, 2:55 PM
The existance of Korriban Light and Dark temes allows several conclusions. It seems possible that Korriban may be the main bad guy base (it would also seem to be the area with all the caverns in all the screenies), perhaps their source of Force energy (ala the Valley).It also seems Korriban is the point in the game where you make your final light/dark choice...or perhaps the light/dark paths split earlier, but both lead to Korriban. There may be a different opening theme (when you get there).

However, it is possible that the area with all the caverns is "Vjun". Nevertheless, it seems clear that Korriban will play a prominent role in the light/dark choices.

samples of the area I'm talking about:
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/43.jpg)
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/28.jpg)
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/26.jpg)
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/22.jpg)
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/15.jpg)
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 3:27 PM
Well, to be honest, it just confirms what was speculated when people first saw those pictures. It was one of the first places mentioned as a possibility for that setting.

BTW...was it really necessary to post all those screenies? :/ Links would have sufficed.

And let's not turn this into a discussion about the locales either... :cool:
 boinga1
08-25-2003, 1:34 AM
Links added. :D
 txa1265
08-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Uber_Saber
Really, if you want the music, go out and get the Special Edition soundtracks. (The ones with two CD's. They're worth it anyway.)

Buh-buh-bum buh-buh-bumm buh-buh-bum. (The strings part before the brass come in with the DF theme) I have them for Ep IV, V and VI, and the single CD's for TPM and AotC. It is just interesting that the tunes on the site are not direct tunes, but mixes of different cuts, similar to JKII.

Has anyone noticed the naming of the MP3's?

The Academy theme is named MP_Action1.mp3
The Jedi theme is named MP_Action2.mp3

The rest are named more or less as shown.

Interesting.

Mike
 HaruGlory89
08-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Dark Forces is the only Star Wars game ive played (or can remember) that has purely original music.

I think Knights of the Old Republic had a lot of original sountracks, go to the website and sample them.
 txa1265
08-25-2003, 1:00 PM
Originally posted by HaruGlory89
I think Knights of the Old Republic had a lot of original sountracks, go to the website and sample them. Yeah, there are four samples there. To my ear it is more inspired by Howard Shore's LotR soundtracks than by John Williams ... but it sounds pretty nice.

Mike
 ImmolatedYoda
08-25-2003, 10:51 PM
well i havent played KotoR because i hate consoles :p.
 StormHammer
08-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Has anyone noticed the naming of the MP3's?

The Academy theme is named MP_Action1.mp3
The Jedi theme is named MP_Action2.mp3

The rest are named more or less as shown.

Interesting.

Mike

Interesting indeed. :)

It obviously means those tracks are used for MP maps...so it looks like there is another Academy MP map on offer, and I think the 'Jedi theme' may be used for the Siege Jedi Tomb level (see Siege unveiled thread).

It's good to see some thought has actually gone into the music for MP, and I hope there is more variety this time around.

Well spotted, Mike. :thumbsup:

Rob
 txa1265
08-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
well i havent played KotoR because i hate consoles :p. I very seriously considered buying an XBox for KoToR ... it wasn't the money, it was that I don't want a console in the house ... especially one with no games for my wife or kids to enjoy. But you can be sure I'll be listening with a critical ear through my surround system in a couple of months when it hits PC.

Mike
 Kurgan
08-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Don't get me wrong, KOTOR looks great, but I'd much rather play it on PC, so I'm content to wait until November to try it and get higher resolutions and unlimited save game space.

As to music, I listen to it in SP, but in MP, I turn it off completely. I either play in silence (or, after I get decent in skill) turn on my own deathmatch music.

One soundtrack I've been listening to lately is the "In Pursuit of Greed" soundtrack (a failed PC FPS game from the mid 90's). Perhaps you've heard of it, as some of the tracks were used in the original Unreal game (towards the end, if any of you played that far). The soundtrack is a bunch of techno and synthesized stuff (some hit and miss, but most of it quite good for fighting) done by "Necros."

The "Ending track" is especially awesome. ; )

I also like to listen to instrumental type stuff (the Highlander Original Scores is great for example), but I get sort of sick of the whole Star Wars songs if I listen to them too much more than what it takes for SP.

Now one track I did enjoy listening to over and over was the one featured on the Duel map (the one added in the 1.04 patch) where you fight in the Temple with Desann (from SP). The "oooooooh oooh ooooooh, aaaaaahh ahhhh" dark murmuring that was the same music played in the Emperor's Throne room in ROTJ (sorry, I don't know the exact names of these themes).

Then of course there's anything "hard" that has some interludes and things in it like the Matrix or Crow soundtracks or Metallica (black album). Anyway, lots of good music for MP, so I'll probably go with those. Though it's always nice to have the option to listen to SW music if you so choose...
 Tzar Sectus
08-27-2003, 5:28 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
One soundtrack I've been listening to lately is the "In Pursuit of Greed" soundtrack (a failed PC FPS game from the mid 90's). Perhaps you've heard of it, as some of the tracks were used in the original Unreal game (towards the end, if any of you played that far). The soundtrack is a bunch of techno and synthesized stuff (some hit and miss, but most of it quite good for fighting) done by "Necros."

The "Ending track" is especially awesome. ; )

I'm a big fan of Necros' music, where did you get this soundtrack? Is it any official release, or the music ripped from the game? Actually, I've listened to the ending track for the game, while it's pretty good, I prefer the newer version Necros made for the game Crusader: No Regret (the track is called Fifth Crusade if I remember correctly). And yeah, if you haven't listened to the music of Crusader, then I highly recommend you do so, half of it's music was done by Necros and is simply brilliant.

To get ontopic, chances are I'll probably turn off the music in JA if it has only old John Williams music. I saw the Star Wars movies again recently, and I don't like admitting it but I totally hated listening to that music again... I recognized almost every piece of it, and it only made me remember times in <insert random Star Wars game here> where I'd be stuck and hear the darn music loop. I do love the John Williams music, but that love is really starting to shatter after it's been used a million times, and if they *keep* on using it then something is seriously wrong.

-Remi
Page: 1 of 1