Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Official Site Updated!

Page: 1 of 2
 boinga1
08-21-2003, 11:39 PM
go over to www.swjediacademy.com) now and see the new site! It's awesome! I don't want to spoil it, but there a new trailer and it shows off the saber moves, among other things!
 Anakin1607
08-21-2003, 11:41 PM
YEEEEHHHAAWW!!!
 Neverhoodian
08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
ALL RIIIIIIIIIGHT! *runs off to see the updated site*
 Emon
08-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Whoa! That is amazingly cool! They even have an index of all the available moves, although with dropped frames to be more bandwidth friendly.
 boinga1
08-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Check out the red stance move called "Attack Kata". that is just...man.

btw, the trailer is the same one found at Gamespot earlier.
 Emon
08-22-2003, 12:00 AM
No problem with that.

Each stance appears to have a special move called a kata.

A system of basic body positioning and movement excercises, as in karate or judo.

Makes sense.
 Anakin1607
08-22-2003, 12:01 AM
Those new saber moves are, in a word.

SWEET!

Nice to see the oldies are back too. :D

[Super Mods Note: Please edit posts instead of excessive posting.]

Uh, guys? Official site material isn't really considered to be spoilers, especially not the moves.

Those katas are pimp. It's nice to be able to pull off a cool combo without a lot of button mashing.
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 12:18 AM
The site looks awesome...and there's such a lot of stuff to view on it. They've done a great job, and it was well worth the wait, so a big :thumbsup: to Lucasarts. ;)

I can't wait for this game... :eek:
 Emon
08-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Anakin1607 Uh, guys? Official site material isn't really considered to be spoilers, especially not the moves.

Everyone else was doing it, I just wanted to be popular! ;)
 Prime
08-22-2003, 12:54 AM
That's a kick-ass site, especially for Lucasarts...
 mariners2001
08-22-2003, 2:31 AM
yes. lucasarts really deserves credit here. this site is amazing and it'll make the wait seem a bit shorter. the wall grab seems interesting. i just wonder if you can grab a wall while falling. this game looks well worth the wait!

EDIT:

HOLY !@#$!!! Read the downloads page!!!!

"A demo will be available for the PC platform in the coming weeks. Check back often!"

I love you LucasArts!!!!!!
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 2:50 AM
Originally posted by mariners2001
HOLY !@#$!!! Read the downloads page!!!!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A demo will be available for the PC platform in the coming weeks. Check back often!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love you LucasArts!!!!!!

Yep...I already spotted that. In fact, you can now find a lot of these details already updated in the JA FAQ at the top of the forum.

Damn, I'm fast. :D
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-22-2003, 2:53 AM
thanks for the info:D . i think the site looks cool now and have seen the new trailer i was waiting for so rock on to 19th september in the uk.:)
 Closter
08-22-2003, 2:58 AM
I can't see the screenshoot what do i need to do.
 Solarn'Gar
08-22-2003, 3:07 AM
Oh man what a site! There is just soo much detail. I've been waiting with baited breath to find out some of this stuff, especially the sys reqs. The wallpapers are really great, I can't wait to get the screen savers.

ANYWAY, the BIG piece of news here is really that a

DEMO IS COMING!!!!

I hope the demo is like the one for Jedi Outcast, in that it will be a level that is not a part of the actual game, just a bonus.
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 3:07 AM
Originally posted by Closter
I can't see the screenshoot what do i need to do.

I can't see the screenshots or concept art on the new site either. Perhaps they are still transferring some stuff across to the new format. I mean, there are some errors in the text throughout the site where it mentions Jedi Outcast, instead of Jedi Academy, so it's a little rough around the edges...
 Neverhoodian
08-22-2003, 3:35 AM
Wow! A demo?! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! I can't wait. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I've already downloaded the two wallpapers and have one on the desktop now (green one that says "The Force is a powerful ally. And a terrible foe.")

September 17 seems so far away. I guess I'll live till then.;)
 Shotokan
08-22-2003, 6:52 AM
BOO YA! Man I like how they show all the moves and stuff.. So far I know that I'm definitely gonna choose the lightstaff.
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 7:03 AM
A few misspellings (and JO references), and the neutral force powers don't have pictures, but otherwise, it looks great!

The site will probably be all fixed up in a few hours so most people will see it complete.

Nice job LA/Raven!
 GonkH8er
08-22-2003, 7:07 AM
I'm quite impressed with the new trailer. Some of the locations and moving environments look stunning.

the presence of ground stabbing moves and a plethora of kicks brings up a very good topic about the ethics of killing people when they're down. I'll start a new thread for the topic.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 7:41 AM
Remember how we were talking about LA updating the site in the next couple of weeks when the game went Gold? This wasn't what we were talking about ... it's more, much more :D

Another great look at the new mech enemies in the Force Rage shot ...

OK, I was saying I loved the Rebel Strike site ... this site, especially after a bit of polish, is likely to be the best game site I've ever seen - it's worth visiting not just for the info, but has a rich value of its' own.

Cool stuff.

Mike
 zdk1
08-22-2003, 10:53 AM
lol i just noticed something minor on the site. Go to the inventory list and look at the descriptions for some of the items there. Heh looks like someone got a tad lazy :rolleyes:

of course, thats forgivable just because the rest of the site rocks :D
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by zdk1
lol i just noticed something minor on the site. Go to the inventory list and look at the descriptions for some of the items there. Heh looks like someone got a tad lazy :rolleyes:

of course, thats forgivable just because the rest of the site rocks :D Copy and Paste errors ... there are a few, as well as mis-spellings, missing pics, and so on.

But for a site of this magnitude ... quite a nice intro.

If the game is as cool as the site, I may only play this and DX:IW for the rest of the year ...

Mike

[Super Mods Note: Please Edit posts instead of excessive posting.]

Bluesnews just put up their notice about the new site, calling it " the latest website to announce one of those trendy relaunches ".

ShackNews also posted the info, but was a bit less jaded in their comments. (BTW - I'm the Mike in both :) )

I really liked the JO website when it came out - not bad at the time, but it just pales compared to JA. This new site tells you loads about the game and what to expect - the weapons are largely the same, and the emphasis is on character, acrobatics, and lightsaber combat, along with engine improvements.

I noticed the trailer #2 is almost 3 times smaller than the Gamespot version, yet the resolution is slightly higher - 320x240 vs. 288x240. Good news for 56k-ers ...

Another thing that I liked was the 'long jump' I know we saw it is a screenshot a while ago, but didn't know what it was ... it will be interesting to see how this stuff plays out.

Mike
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I noticed the trailer #2 is almost 3 times smaller than the Gamespot version, yet the resolution is slightly higher - 320x240 vs. 288x240. Good news for 56k-ers ...
Mike

Is it? :eek:

I might have a bash at trying to d/l that version then, if it's a bit higher res. ;)

*pedals faster on 56k connection*
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 4:56 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Is it? :eek:

I might have a bash at trying to d/l that version then, if it's a bit higher res. ;)

*pedals faster on 56k connection* Yep - 7.7MB rather than the ~21MB from Gamespot.

Better feed that hamster ...
 Tinny
08-22-2003, 6:15 PM
man, i like how the balanced out the 2 dark force powers. now lightning takes both health and mana, while drain u have to be next to the person and it takes their health to restore urs. it will balance out the duels now. did anyone notice the pic with the lightning, the dude had 2 arms outstretched and both were spewing out lightning like when palpatine did it to luke.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by Tinny
man, i like how the balanced out the 2 dark force powers. now lightning takes both health and mana, while drain u have to be next to the person and it takes their health to restore urs. it will balance out the duels now. did anyone notice the pic with the lightning, the dude had 2 arms outstretched and both were spewing out lightning like when palpatine did it to luke. Perhaps you misunderstood Lightning - it acts like in JKII: it drains your force power while causing health damage to your enemy.

The picture is very cool ...

I also like how grip now feeds you the health you take from your opponent.

Mike

[Super Mod's Note: Please Edit posts, not excessive posting]

Originally posted by StormHammer
Yep...I already spotted that. In fact, you can now find a lot of these details already updated in the JA FAQ at the top of the forum.

Damn, I'm fast.

That will be great for the people who read the FAQ before posting questions ... both of them

Thanks for the update StormHammer!

Mike
 Emon
08-22-2003, 6:52 PM
I also like how grip now feeds you the health you take from your opponent.

Wha? No, that's Drain.
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 7:02 PM
That will be great for the people who read the FAQ before posting questions ... both of them :rolleyes:

;)

Thanks for the update StormHammer!

Mike

Hey..no problem. As I said before, if anyone has any more tidbits of info they'd like to see in the FAQ, just send me a PM. ;)

And yeah...that new Drain just looks wicked cool.

"Just lie back while I suck your lifeforce away...." :eek:
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 7:06 PM
Originally posted by Emon
Wha? No, that's Drain. Oops ... my mistake - actually an issue with proper updating of the text when I click on them ... I clicked Grip, the heading changed but the text stayed as Drain ... sorry for my stupidity ;)

I just tried on two different computers (Mac OS X and WinXP, I'm on a Win2k right now) and they all do the same - it is related to Grip. Site bug ... but I still apologize for my stupidity :D

Mike
 Tinny
08-22-2003, 7:10 PM
um, lightning in jo only took ur force power and the other persons health, now it takes their health AND their mana, while ur mana is decreasing as well ;)
 Emon
08-22-2003, 7:14 PM
Actually, no.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by Tinny
um, lightning in jo only took ur force power and the other persons health, now it takes their health AND their mana, while ur mana is decreasing as well ;) Really ... cool. That wasn't how I read it on the official site. But when I play dark Jedi my 3rd or 4th time through I'll see it up close ...

Thanks for clue-ing me in.

[edit]
Originally posted by Emon
Actually, no.

Oh ... never mind.

Mike
 Emon
08-22-2003, 7:17 PM
You didn't read it on the official site because that's not how it is.
 Tinny
08-22-2003, 7:30 PM
straight from the site about lightning

Allows the player to hurl a devastating electrical attack against foes. When a foe is targeted by this power, it locks on and continues to drain the enemy and consume the attacker's Force Pool. This continues until the enemy perishes, goes out of range, or the player's Force Pool is depleted.

the enemy can only perish when his hp is being drained, and since its consuming the force pool the mana is being drained as well

[Super Mods Note: Please Edit posts instead of excessive posting]

my mistake, it said attackers force pool not the targets :D
 ImmolatedYoda
08-22-2003, 8:37 PM
i cant wait to...

GRAB MY ENEMIES AND SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF THEM!!!!
 Tinny
08-22-2003, 11:16 PM
it looks nice but sick in a way, almost looks like ur raping them :/
 Obi-Wan X
08-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Awesome website!

It really showed a lot of things I didn't expect to know until I actually played the game!

Those katas...:eek:
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 11:35 PM
*cough* Anyway...

Enough time has passed that it seems they don't plan to "show" what the neutral force powers look like on the site, except for Sense.

All we get for Mind Trick, Push, Pull, Jump and Speed is a blue flash and the text describing it, unlike the other powers.

Do they want it to be a surprise? Or maybe they just haven't worked the bugs out yet...
 Mut12
08-22-2003, 11:37 PM
That move where u run up the wall looks..... intresting

GREAT Site
 Reclaimer
08-22-2003, 11:41 PM
This is what I call RE-AMPED!!
 ImmolatedYoda
08-23-2003, 1:52 AM
Kurgan, does it really matter what the neutral powers look like? i cant imagine theyll look too different from JO. even if they do...theyre just push, pull, etc....
 SettingShadow
08-23-2003, 5:36 AM
Anyone noticed that they say on the site that Mind Trick is a neutral force power?

"The Force can exert a powerful influence over the weak minded. A Jedi Mind Trick can be used to outwit opponents in verbal negotiations or to make them see or hear things that aren't there. Mind Trick is a useful, neutral Force power that is often used in Jedi stealth operations where the goal is to avoid detection and confrontation with the enemy."

In JO it was a Light Power (at least in Multiplayer.. maybe it's just neutral for SP?).
 mariners2001
08-23-2003, 6:05 AM
Originally posted by SettingShadow
Anyone noticed that they say on the site that Mind Trick is a neutral force power?

Yeah well it actually does make more sense as a neutral power. It has dark effects (manipulating the mind) and light effects (progressing without harm), but it is basically just for a distraction. Seems to make sense.
 Emon
08-23-2003, 6:19 AM
All are ultimately neutral, because it depends on how you use it. However, they are categorized by their common usage and purposes.
 Andy867
08-23-2003, 7:19 AM
Yea, because if you think about it, Luke Skywalker used grip himself in Return of the Jedi, and look at how Obi-wan and Luke and other Jedi used mind trick to manipulate the minds of others. (weak-minded have you, but still a mind)

(A mind is a precious thing to waste... haha)
 SettingShadow
08-23-2003, 8:32 AM
Yeah, I agree, it does make more sense as a neutral power.
 Obi-Wan X
08-23-2003, 2:45 PM
I wonder what effect this will have on multiplayer?
 Samus
08-23-2003, 2:49 PM
I can't open the new site. It just says "Entering the academy, loading", and stops at 80%. I have a 1Mbit connection. Any ideas?:confused:
 txa1265
08-23-2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by Samus
I can't open the new site. It just says "Entering the academy, loading", and stops at 80%. I have a 1Mbit connection. Any ideas?:confused: The new site is totally Flash driven ... maybe you need to update your Flash plugin.

I *just* visited (checking for more stuff) and had no problem. I have a wireless DSL connection.

Mike
Page: 1 of 2