Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please of you will convert DF to JA

Page: 1 of 1
 kasser
08-15-2003, 8:07 PM
I wish you guys keep also a JO version please :(

-----

or what about making a JO version then make a PATCH for JA users , because I think the Programming basic in JA is same as JO

Aloha :D
 The Count
08-15-2003, 8:15 PM
:confused:
 Darth_Linux
08-15-2003, 8:58 PM
Originally posted by kasser
I wish you guys keep also a JO version please :(

-----

or what about making a JO version then make a PATCH for JA users , because I think the Programming basic in JA is same as JO

Aloha :D

programming JA will be completely different from programming JO precisely because we may be actually able to program something in JA while we really can't do much of what we want at all in JO . . . . If we do make the switch, there won't be a JO patch for this reason.
 ImmolatedYoda
08-16-2003, 3:12 AM
this topic has already been discussed...here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105800)
 kasser
08-16-2003, 8:19 AM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
this topic has already been discussed...here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105800)

I know but the already close it

----

programming JA will be completely different from programming JO precisely because we may be actually able to program something in JA while we really can't do much of what we want at all in JO . . . . If we do make the switch, there won't be a JO patch for this reason.

I think not because it's use the SAME engine (Q3)

and JA they add just SABER COMBAT right? we well not use any lightsaber in DF
 kasser
08-16-2003, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by The Count
:confused:

Sorry for my english because I am Arabin :p " Near Iraqs :atat: "
 Barry Brien
08-16-2003, 11:01 AM
I'd prefer to see the Mod for JO, and since in the poll more people voted that it stay as a JO project, rahter than be ported to JA, it would make sense.
 RandomMonkey
08-16-2003, 12:29 PM
just cause its the same BASIC engine (Q3) doesnt mean its the same. Their changing the model types, the dropping MD3's for a solid model, and their beefing up the engine. Although parts might be the same, I bet alot won't be
 Infinity Blade
08-16-2003, 2:12 PM
The only major problem that appears to be with JO is multiplayer AI scripting. I haven't had the time to do much coding or mapping for JO yet, but that seems to be the reason that's "holding it back".

I've heard mostly that it can't be done with JO, but then again a few that said it could be. I don't know either way, but it would nice to be given a definitive answer that was hopefully confirmed by Raven... I'm sure someone's asked them.

Telling people why it won't work I think is much better then just telling them it simply can't be done.... and if someone had a solid word on it, even better.

And to simplify it for those who might not get it:

If JO multiplayer doesn't support a form of AI/scripting, then we will have no way to put even remotely decent enemies into the mod. On the other hand, Jedi Academy is reported to have that ability.

If someone could post a link or such quoting from the highest JO source on it's AI MP capabilities, that'd probably put the topic to rest fairly quick.
 kasser
08-16-2003, 3:25 PM
Okay I understand

but of you could make for JA and JO it will be better ;)

If you couldn't it's okay :D
 The Count
08-16-2003, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by kasser
Sorry for my english because I am Arabin :p " Near Iraqs :atat: "

I'm very sorry, I didn't know.
 TK-8252
08-17-2003, 1:25 AM
I'm to lazy to search the entire forum for the answer so, can anyone tell me why does the mod have to be made for multiplayer instead of single player? I remember reading somewhere about the SDK or something but I don't know what that is.
 Emon
08-17-2003, 2:13 AM
The mod can only be completed on Jedi Academy's multiplayer code. JO is simply out of the question. December 2003 is the release date last I checked. AI has to be practically coded from scratch. Basically, right now a stormtrooper is an invisible, killable collide box that makes noise. Nothing more.

JA has AI and scripting already built into multiplayer, so if the mod switches to JA, it can be completed on time, or at all for that matter.
 TK-8252
08-17-2003, 4:44 AM
No, no. I'm asking why the mod would have to be for the Jedi Outcast multiplayer instead of single player. What is holding the mod back from being in single player? I know nothing about scripting, but I can't see any reason why it needs the multiplayer engine.
 Infinity Blade
08-17-2003, 5:06 AM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
why does the mod have to be made for multiplayer instead of single player?Mostly because of the source code... Single Player source code hasn't been released (and most likely won't be), while the Multiplayer code has been.

I believe basically it's divided so that SP has the AI/scripting abilities, while MP can have new code in it for weapons and various abilities added that weren't in SP.

The demo that is out now uses single player, but it also uses weapons that were found in Jedi Outcast. We might be able to change the visuals of single player so it Looks like the Dark Forces guns, but they won't Act like them.

If somebody had a system in place for AI in MP, I think it wouldn't be that much of a problem to make a JO mod. The main thing is, JA already has that, and nobody seems to be that interested in building an AI setup for JO when they can pay 50 USD to get it with JA.

It seems theoretically possible, but the team has it's hands full just making the content that is pertinent to Dark Forces, so having the time and resources to sink into the AI is highly doubtful.

The only way it seems plausible for this team to make the mod for JO, is if someone else were to come out or develop a method of AI before the sdk tools for JA come out. However, the time it would take to develop a system, if it's plausible, would still probably be longer than just waiting for the JA tools.
 TK-8252
08-17-2003, 2:37 PM
Ooh, I get it now. Thanks for the help! :)
 The_One
08-17-2003, 3:27 PM
Jeez, how many times do I (and others) have to say this?

I'll just post what I posted in the other thread, and has been re-phrased by others since - for YOUR benefit:

Originally posted by The_One
a) With the current MOD support for JO, the DF MOD cannot be completed for it - at least not in the way you would like. If it ever emerged on the JO engine, it would likely be nothing more than a glorified map pack.

b) It is looking highly likely that JA will feature far superior MOD support than JO - along the lines of the SOF2 support. This kind of support would mean we would likely complete the MOD the way we intend.

If that is the case, and I'm telling you about 80% certain here, we will move to JA.

If you still can't follow that, here is an even simpler version:

The way things stand at the moment;

DF MOD cannot be completed for JO.
DF MOD probably can be completed for JA.

This is not a case of whether you would prefer it on JO or JA - it is simply a case of which platform we can actually make the MOD for. And at the moment it is looking like JA.

Learn it!

Closed.
Page: 1 of 1