Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

DF-21.net and how to play DF on WinXP!

Page: 1 of 1
 Patrick_H
08-11-2003, 1:07 PM
Hi all. I hope you find the time to play this classic game. One of the truly great FPS games ever and definitely the first great Star Wars game.

For those who are new, Dark Forces came out in 1994 and instantly created one of the first strong online games communities. That tradition lives on at:
http://www.df-21.net)
There you will find a great set of forums, and an article for running DF on Windows XP: http://www.df-21.net/articles/install.html)

In the Downloads section are a complete collection of around 200 user made add-on levels! Be sure to visit the Hall of Fame.

I only post this because Dark Forces is the game that got me interested in creating content of my own and because DF-21.net is a fun site.
 Kengo
08-11-2003, 2:28 PM
...and you were by all accounts one of the best SP level authors for it as well!

I really love the new layout on LF with all the DF series together like this, and its great to know a gaming community is still there after so long, I hope the same can be said of our JK2/JA sites years from now!
 SettingShadow
08-11-2003, 2:49 PM
Although I got it working with XP, the digital sound is very choppy and there's no music. =/ BAH! :(
 FK | unnamed
08-11-2003, 4:31 PM
kick ass.
:cool:
 ZBomber
08-11-2003, 4:35 PM
Wow. I can't wait to play this again. ;)

Any info on ow to run TIE Fighter on an XP? Please? :D
 The Count
08-11-2003, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Wow. I can't wait to play this again. ;)

Any info on ow to run TIE Fighter on an XP? Please? :D

Yeah go and Buy TIE Fighter for Windows 95:p
 ZBomber
08-11-2003, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by Count Dooku
Yeah go and Buy TIE Fighter for Windows 95:p

I did buy TIE Fighter for Windows 95. But when i try to play it on XP, it freezes up.
 topshot
08-12-2003, 10:48 AM
originally posted by ZBomber:
I did buy TIE Fighter for Windows 95. But when i try to play it on XP, it freezes up.

Right click the TIE FIGHTER. exe (or whatever) icon and select Properties. You'll be able to access Compatibility mode and set it to run it in XP compatibility mode. A little trick I learned from one of Rhett's posts when I had problems running JK1. Hope it helps....
 ZBomber
08-12-2003, 1:10 PM
Originally posted by topshot
Right click the TIE FIGHTER. exe (or whatever) icon and select Properties. You'll be able to access Compatibility mode and set it to run it in XP compatibility mode. A little trick I learned from one of Rhett's posts when I had problems running JK1. Hope it helps....

Nope. :( It doesn't have an XP Compatity mode, only Windows 98 and ME. :(
 topshot
08-12-2003, 1:53 PM
Hmmm, well it should, but oh well. It was good try. :(
 Vykk Draygo
08-12-2003, 2:08 PM
Or, here is a better idea, Get a Mac!

Besides, you can get better screen resulution that way :p

Ohh, by the way, how do I update my profile? This thing is really rather old and it sux
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 5:27 PM
Originally posted by Vykk Draygo
Or, here is a better idea, Get a Mac!

Besides, you can get better screen resulution that way :p

Ohh, by the way, how do I update my profile? This thing is really rather old and it sux

Go to the top of the Banner, and click User CP. You'll know what to do from there. ;)

Yeh, and thanks for Helping Top. I'll be fine without it. ;)

All right, I'm gonna try this Dark forces Manual Installition now.....

Edit - It says to install in C:\dark, yada yada. I install Dark Forces in D:\Program Files\ Star Wars Dark Forces\
So, where should I put the batch file? :confused:
 topshot
08-14-2003, 8:44 PM
Hmmm, I'd say try putting it in the LucasArts folder. Might not work, it's just a guess.
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 9:47 PM
Got it to work, but I ahd to do it in my C Drive...

ANyways, I quit the game and get to a DOS screen. It won't go away, so i have to shut down. How do I get out of the screen?
 topshot
08-15-2003, 12:02 AM
You're using DOS, so a good command would be "/exit" or "/esc." Those should work, as I know one of them will.
 ZBomber
08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Ah... I used /exit last time. I'll try /esc next time. Thanks. :)
 topshot
08-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Anytime, buddy, anytime......:cool: :sbdance
Page: 1 of 1