Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

We need a multiplayer "honor" option for bots

Page: 1 of 1
 Lach
08-04-2003, 8:11 PM
For sabor only servers, or even when your playing alone.

How about an option so that if your sabor is off, the bot wont choose you(or any player or bot with the sabor down) as a target to attack?

This is of course HIGHLY abusable, but I'd love it for playing against just bots, and im sure there are servers where people can be trusted to not abuse it(you could attack comp, turn off sabor, lightning etc.... though perhaps this could be countered by a "if target attacked you in last 30 seconds then kill em sabor down or not"?
 StormHammer
08-04-2003, 8:22 PM
As if we didn't have enough of this 'honour' stuff online as it is...now you want it for 'bots'?

When I get JA, I'll be doing one thing in MP...killing anything that moves. No bows, no saber off, no kissing or dancing with daisies...just racking up kills. The way it was designed to be played, and the way I choose to play.

So no...I'd hate to see an 'honour code' programmed into the bots. Smarter bots, certainly...bots that don't jump off walkways to oblivion and end up with huge minus scores in team games...bots that know what a vehicle is and how to use it while you man a gun on the back, or something. Yes. Better pathfinding, better AI...better everything.

But no honour codes...

:mad:
 FK | unnamed
08-04-2003, 8:57 PM
acutally as silly as this sounds, we already have it.

FU! server (forgot server ip, just search it by name) has bots that will not attack unless you do and they will even accept duels ("press K").

One of the admins I was talking to one night mentioned it had something to do with the jedi academy mod or something.
 Obi-Wan X
08-04-2003, 9:49 PM
I will admit that if a respected oponent bows to me before a duel starts, I will return the bow at times. But I don't always, and I will NOT kill anyone who stops to chat for some period of a time, turning his saber off and having a chatbox over his head. But if I see some fool running around with saber off or shutting it down in the middle of the fight because he's going to lose, i'll take them out.

Really...honor codes or extremely stupid. I do NOT believe in killing people that are afk, or people standing in the corner, saber off carrying on a conversation with someone. But thats pretty much where my "honor" ends.

JA needs no programmed honor code.
 Prime
08-04-2003, 10:04 PM
We need a multiplayer "honor" option for bots Oh, for the love of all things holy...
 Lach
08-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Key word: OPTION
 GC256
08-04-2003, 11:35 PM
When I get JA, I'll be doing one thing in MP...killing anything that moves. No bows, no saber off, no kissing or dancing with daisies...just racking up kills. The way it was designed to be played, and the way I choose to play.
Okay then, you should be able to respect the way that he wants to play the game too. He's not forcing it on you, he's just bringing something up.

Anyway, yea I actually thought of that a week or two ago... what it would be like for bots to have "honor". Giving them honor would make them seem (for obvious reasons) more intelligent because that's how most people play.
 Jeff 42
08-04-2003, 11:56 PM
It would make them seem even less intelligent to me...
 boinga1
08-05-2003, 12:36 AM
:rolleyes: 1 H4V3 N0 H0N0R!
 Lightsaberboy
08-05-2003, 1:45 AM
i actually enjoy playing with bots more sometimes because they just go and kill anything that moves, like what you're supposed to do, instead of standing around playing with emotes.
 Khaza
08-05-2003, 3:38 AM
Can't people learn from their mistakes ? Can't you remember that JO gameplay was totaly destroyed by all these "great" ideas/rules. Like many people said above, NO HONOR CODES !

Let's just try to play game as it's mean to be played... ok ?
 Luc Solar
08-05-2003, 4:26 AM
No offense but this has got to be the worst idea ever. :D

It's just....so dumb on so many levels that...argh!

It's like "let's make the dumbest thing in history of online computer gaming become the norm of even BOTS so that there is no way you could actually PLAY the game anymore"

Seriously, I'm curious. What on earth would be the point of this? That you could turn off your saber in mid-fight and thus never ever lose to a bot? :confused:

And having it as an "option" means nothing. Kids who use that OPTION will bitch and moan and whine about it against real people, I guarantee you that.

Retarded honour codes have destroyed JO for us people. Let's not destroy JA for bots. They have a right to play and have fun too, you know. :)
 Prime
08-05-2003, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by Lightsaberboy
i actually enjoy playing with bots more sometimes because they just go and kill anything that moves, like what you're supposed to do, instead of standing around playing with emotes. Exactly.
 Lach
08-05-2003, 2:33 PM
Are all you flaming morons blind?

OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTIONOPTION OPTION OPTION
 Jeff 42
08-05-2003, 2:51 PM
And while they're at it, they can program in an OPTIONAL "tea party mode" so everyone can sit around and chat without having to worry about horrible dishonorable lamers killing them. :rolleyes:
 JaledDur
08-05-2003, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
No bows, no saber off, no kissing or dancing with daisies...just racking up kills. The way it was designed to be played, and the way I choose to play.

Preach on brotha
 JaledDur
08-05-2003, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Lach
Are all you flaming morons blind?

OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTIONOPTION OPTION OPTION

Actually I am. Do you have a problem with people of disability??

jk :p

And about the bots playing the way the game is supposed to be played -- they don't. They run away all the time. I'm suprised Raven didnt make them cower in fear and pee when I speak to them with strong language....
 GC256
08-05-2003, 3:16 PM
Wow, so much for that Lach. I apologize for them, really I do. No need to insult you just because of an idea. They don't seem to understand that the way they play isn't "the way the game was meant to be played" and neither is ours. It's however you want to play, don't listen to anyone else.

Again, for Lach....

OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION OPTION
 Obi-Wan X
08-05-2003, 4:51 PM
There should BE no option.

If they do this, it will ENCOURAGE that type of play.
 boinga1
08-05-2003, 6:10 PM
Look, name 5 servers that will use "base" Jedi Academy (no mods, no emotes) and NO honourable bot option in FFA. Right now, about 1-2 FFA servers can be found using NO MODS. The only place to be truly free of RPG H0N0UR4BL3 players is in base JO. No option. Too many servers would use it. Too many CTF games would be messed up. Imagine, you and your freind decide to play CTF against each other, with bots as teammates. He uses this option, you don't know it. He is able to turn off his saber and run, unharmed through your base, taking your flag, and returning. You have gone to his base, but the 10 Jedi Master level temamtes take you out. While you respawn and go after him, he has already taken the lead.

This "OPTION" would be nothing but an often-exploited feature that would ruin a MP experience that is already awful.

Besides, what fool ever tried to get a bot to understand "H0N0UR", or bowed to a bot before a fight? :rolleyes:

BTW, we're not insulting Lach. We're insulting the many, many, fools out there who...well, you probably know what they do and what they will do with an option like this.
 Prime
08-05-2003, 10:10 PM
I'd only want an option for "honourable" bots if there was also an option to make everyone online play the actual gametype with no stupid "honour code".
 Rad Blackrose
08-05-2003, 10:13 PM
When they die, will the bots go, "OMG, YOU DIDN'T BOW! I'M TELLING AN ADMIN!" or "SABR DOWN IS PEACE, N00B!"?
 FK | unnamed
08-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
When they die, will the bots go, "OMG, YOU DIDN'T BOW! I'M TELLING AN ADMIN!" or "SABR DOWN IS PEACE, N00B!"?

actually "jake" bot on the FU! server does just that...
 Rad Blackrose
08-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Once you meet Jake, you will never forget him.

"AIM LEADOR, CONTROL YOUR PEOPLE OR I WILL CANCEL THIS MATCH!"
 Obi-Wan X
08-06-2003, 12:09 AM
I don't even want to ponder bowing to a bot. Every once in a blue moon while playing JO multiplayer by myself, i'll actually say " NEWBS!!!" after I capture their flags.

Intoxication could indeed be why :p , but isn't talking to a bot that doesn't respond just as foolish as giving honor to one? I don't play through JO SP and bow to reborns, or to Desann. Or scream at my computer saying saber down.

Honor codes really don't make sense imo

Until Bots can carry on a full, intelligent conversation with me, show me real respect, and essentially act like any other guy online, I will not associate real life personalities with them.
 boinga1
08-06-2003, 1:11 AM
OK. Did Obi-wan Kenobi bow to the battle droids before cutting them to pieces? That's pretty close to jedis bowing to bots...except it didn't happen. Why the heck are we even discussing this? Raven will never put this in JA. Maybe the "H0N0UR4BL3 M0D 0F D00M" will...but Raven won't.
 KMan
08-06-2003, 2:14 AM
If someone doesn't have their saber on, then they are just asking to be sliced open. If the game didn't make it that way, then it is not in the way that I play.
 ZBomber
08-06-2003, 2:48 AM
Where are the mods when you need um....

I don't like the idea. What else is there to say?
 yolkboy
08-06-2003, 3:19 AM
Just go off where bots won't go or spectate :)
 Chewie Bakker
08-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Wan X
I do NOT believe in killing people that are afk, or people standing in the corner, saber off carrying on a conversation with someone.

I'll agree to that. Cheap kills aren't my thing. Still, all's fair in love and war.

Originally posted by Lach
For sabor only servers, or even when your playing alone.

How about an option so that if your sabor is off, the bot wont choose you(or any player or bot with the sabor down) as a target to attack?

This is of course HIGHLY abusable, but I'd love it for playing against just bots, and im sure there are servers where people can be trusted to not abuse it(you could attack comp, turn off sabor, lightning etc.... though perhaps this could be countered by a "if target attacked you in last 30 seconds then kill em sabor down or not"?

I can't understand why you'd want a non-aggressive bot. The whole purpose of the 'bot' is to fight you, otherwise why waste the slot with a bot when a live person can come in?

Although I don't particularly agree with your desire for a bot that won't attack unless you do, some sort of "teacher bot" might be worth looking at, although the Padawan-to-Jedi-Master that JK2 features would cover this by offering "low difficulty" bots to start off facing.

It might be worth looking at possible bot variables, such as how often they use certain Force powers and such. I know certain bots have their favorite Force powers and weapons (Lando with guns, for example), but perhaps a slider could enhance the whole bot experience.

By the way Lach, the correct spelling is sabre, or saber depending on where you're from. The first being French and English spelling, the latter the American spelling.

:gben: (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy) The Force will be with you, always.
 |GG|Carl
08-12-2003, 2:29 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
As if we didn't have enough of this 'honour' stuff online as it is...now you want it for 'bots'?:mad:

Very true, I mean, why make the bots even dumber than they already are?

And if they won't attack guys without sabers, the guys without sabers will attack them, cause there is no risk for that the bots will call anyone "lamer" or "N00b".

Smarter bots would be good, but not more "honored" bots!

By the way, If you want smart bots in JO, there are two very good alternatives:

1. Get "Botmaker" and create an as smart bots as you want

2. Download "|GlobensGeng|Bot". A very good bot which is going to be released in about 6 days.;)
 StormHammer
08-12-2003, 2:39 PM
Well, here we go again. Some more heated posts in here. :rolleyes:

Look...not having honour codes in a game is one thing...but it doesn't mean you should ditch the concept on these forums. Try to respect other people's points of view (even as you disagree with them). There's nothing wrong with heated debate, but don't flame. Thanks. :cool:

As has already been stated, it's unlikely Raven would entertain the notion of 'Honour Bots', and they're not likely to be in JA. If you want to make a mod like this to run on your server...well, there's nothing to stop you, is there? And apparently it's already been done for JO...so there you go.
 Chewie Bakker
08-12-2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by |GlobensGeng|
Very true, I mean, why make the bots even dumber than they already are?

And if they won't attack guys without sabers, the guys without sabers will attack them, cause there is no risk for that the bots will call anyone "lamer" or "N00b".

Smarter bots would be good, but not more "honored" bots!

By the way, If you want smart bots in JO, there are two very good alternatives:

1. Get "Botmaker" and create an as smart bots as you want

2. Download "|GlobensGeng|Bot". A very good bot which is going to be released in about 6 days.;)

This "Botmaker" thing sounds good, "|GlobensGeng|. Where can one find a reliable copy of it?

:animelol:
 Rad Blackrose
08-12-2003, 2:59 PM
Well, I believe the source for the bots were released some time ago in the JKII editing pack, which came with almost anything you needed to map, create bots, etc. Let me dig around for the link...

EDIT:

Here's the general thread, you want to download the SDK for the source files.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59058)
 The Count
08-12-2003, 4:11 PM
We already know it doesn't have this option in it so the thread should be closed.
 Chewie Bakker
08-12-2003, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
Well, I believe the source for the bots were released some time ago in the JKII editing pack, which came with almost anything you needed to map, create bots, etc. Let me dig around for the link...

EDIT:

Here's the general thread, you want to download the SDK for the source files.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59058)

Thanks, Rad Blackrose.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a certain file that would show you some of the factors I'd said earlier in this thread, but I can't remember where I read it from and where the file is.

There are a .jkb files in Assets0.pk3 that have some cryptic information about the bots, but nothing I'm willing to muck around with at this point in time.

It's almost time to get up. I'm going to bed.
Page: 1 of 1