Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rag Doll

Page: 1 of 1
 Mauler Mithel
08-02-2003, 5:45 PM
Is the game supposed to include rag doll technology or was that cancelled?:atat:
 Thazac
08-02-2003, 5:53 PM
I certainly hope so. Compare:
Someone dies in Jedi Outcast
and
Someone dies in UT2k3
What looks coolest?
Of course I don't want to see the unnecessary bloodiness of UT2k3, but I think you get the picture.
 Neverhoodian
08-02-2003, 5:55 PM
From the screenies I've seen, it looks like they use a rag doll skeleton, but not the physics.:( We might have to put up with dead stormtrooper's heads inside a wall again.
 Emon
08-02-2003, 6:02 PM
Bodies won't roll down the stairs but they won't clip through walls.
 taekwondo joe
08-02-2003, 6:08 PM
OH NO!!! i want ut 2003 rag doll, roll offf stairs, and act like a real rag doll, man, this sux, we still have death animations :(
 Emon
08-02-2003, 6:14 PM
Woopdee freakin' doo. :rolleyes:
 lonepadawan
08-02-2003, 6:40 PM
well said..

"taekwondo joe" when reffering to oneself you use a capital "I"
Oh and off has only 2 fs
 Sam Fisher
08-02-2003, 9:14 PM
Yep, we really nee rag doll physics in JA.
 Tinny
08-02-2003, 9:57 PM
what's the difference between rag doll physics and a ragdoll skeleton?
 HertogJan
08-03-2003, 7:06 AM
Ragdoll physics allow an object (body) to roll and move just like it would in real life, for example; rolling down the stairs when you're dead.

A ragdoll sceleton allows realistic bending etc of a skeleton and allows it to take different poses, but tha doesn't mean it will automaticly fall of the stairs like it's supposed to!

But... I'm not a technician or anything and I don't know if this is true, but I think I'm on the right track here :) Can someone confirm this??
 Proto
08-03-2003, 7:47 AM
I don't think developers would bother with such a wordplay. I guess "ragdoll effect" is a term that means physically driven character's behavior in place of death animation. If it's not the physics that animates the limp body then what does make it fall. Hmm, pre-designed animation :p? I don't think that "ragdoll skeletal system" means that the death animations are just limited by level geometry, 'cause even if it'd work (in SoF2 it dind't to well ;)) it doesn't seem like ragdoll anyway. And I don't imagine ragdoll system being non-skeletal, as it's job is to animate the character skeleton ;). It's just my point of view, maybe I'm getting all wrong, but still, in my opinion anything different than physically-driven ragdoll effect isn't ragdollish at all ;).

In early builds of the game we've seen in movies/screenshots there is no trace of ragdoll (at least I did't spot one), but i hope it'll make it to the final game.

Excuse my English :).
 Emon
08-03-2003, 2:50 PM
HertogJan is correct. However a ragdoll skeleton system would probably be the basis for the physics.
 taekwondo joe
08-04-2003, 12:31 PM
i guess we will just have to wait, but i wont real rag doll
 txa1265
08-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Implementing a ragdoll physics engine into the Q3 engine is surely possible but not trivial, and I'm willing to bet it didn't happen for JA. However I can easily deal with the death animations (thought they were pretty cool in JKII), especialy if they did implement a ragdoll skeletal system so that damage is appropriately partitioned ...

Mike
Page: 1 of 1