Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is anyone going to get Star Wars: Galaxies?

Page: 1 of 2
 Starnick10287
07-31-2001, 2:02 AM
If lots of members on this site are going to get it, why don't we form a PA to play in it. ;)
 Boba Rhett
07-31-2001, 2:17 AM
I'll probably end up getting it, but i'm Definitely not a fan of games that you have to keep paying for.
 Paragon_Leon
07-31-2001, 4:41 AM
I like adventures, not RPG's. Well, 'closed' RPG's like the FF-series are ok i guess.. but then, they're more like adventures.
:rolleyes:
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 12:02 PM
I think it would be cool, but i'd rather not pay for something like that over and over again.
 FlyBOy
07-31-2001, 1:31 PM
I'm definitly going to get GAlaxies, just need to find me a job so i can pay those monthly fees
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 1:36 PM
Actually, i'm not sure if i'd play it for more than a month, so i might get it after all.
 FlyBOy
07-31-2001, 2:11 PM
it might be a monthly fee. the developers haven't decided yet
 Darth_Rommel
07-31-2001, 2:12 PM
I'm not gonna buy it, not with that monthly fee :mad:
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 2:13 PM
No, i think that their will definatle ybe a monthly fee, but one can only hope....
 Starnick10287
07-31-2001, 2:20 PM
In their FAQ at the website, there will be a monthly fee but they haven't decided yet............but it will probably be low.
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 2:33 PM
huh, somewhere i thought i heard it would be 10 bucks a month.
 FlyBOy
07-31-2001, 2:34 PM
thats the price to play Everquest, so some people are just speculating that Galaxies will cost the same monthly
 Starnick10287
07-31-2001, 2:40 PM
Maybe, but we'll have to wait to find out. :(
 FlyBOy
07-31-2001, 2:44 PM
I know, at least another year :(
 Kvan
07-31-2001, 2:48 PM
When you think about it 10 bucks a month isn't all that bad, but then think about it in the long run....you spend 100's of dollars just so you can play a GAME on the COMPUTER! I'm sorry but this game is not for me. Although I usually say one thing and do the opposite :)
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 2:54 PM
Yeah, we'll all probably end up buying it. :D
 Starnick10287
07-31-2001, 5:04 PM
I know. We can not resist the power of star wars games.
 FlyBOy
07-31-2001, 6:12 PM
especially a game that looks as great as Galaxies
 Starnick10287
07-31-2001, 6:19 PM
Exactly. :cool:
 Ewok14
07-31-2001, 6:26 PM
Bit Stupid if you ask me
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 6:41 PM
smoking is stupid, but a ton of people do it anyways.
 Kvan
07-31-2001, 8:44 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
smoking is stupid, but a ton of people do it anyways.
Yep and a ton of people are gonna play Galaxies too. I mean come on, it's starwars! You know your gonna play it! Unless your flat broke. And even then you can donate your blood to play it :D
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 11:07 PM
I know, i'll get sucked in just like every other star wars game. Oh, well, i've got a couple hundred dollars stored away for times like these. Plus, i should have a job by this time next year.
 Master Yoda
07-31-2001, 11:23 PM
I dont know if im going to get it, It sounds like you have to spend tons of time on the net in order to play.. though ive never played that style of game so who knows...
 Kvan
07-31-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoda
I dont know if im going to get it, It sounds like you have to spend tons of time on the net in order to play.. though ive never played that style of game so who knows...
Yeah, your gonna be spending <b>a lot</b> of time on the net playing it. It's gonna rule your life, at least that's how most SW games are for me :)
 Starnick10287
08-01-2001, 12:40 AM
There might be a system of paying like this: you pay $5 every 500 hours that your on the game, instead of paying $10 a month, even if you don't play it often. :cool:
 Paragon_Leon
08-01-2001, 7:11 AM
I'm ok with paying a bit more for a game, but not ok with subscription.
you just don't have the guarantee that the developers really put in effort after they put the whole thing online..
 Master Yoda
08-01-2001, 10:17 AM
I agree If theres a subscription I probably wont get it.. Subscriptions are just a pain in the butt, the game would have to be REALLY good in order for me pay out money more than just once..
 Dorsk8199
08-01-2001, 10:28 AM
I probably won't get it. Since I don't like the idea of a monthly fee and I don't like the idea that it's supposed to be near impossible to be a jedi. What's a star wars game without jedi? I think the developers are making a big mistake with that one. Then again they will probably change it when they start losing tons of money. Oh well.
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dorsk8199
I probably won't get it. Since I don't like the idea of a monthly fee and I don't like the idea that it's supposed to be near impossible to be a jedi. What's a star wars game without jedi? I think the developers are making a big mistake with that one. Then again they will probably change it when they start losing tons of money. Oh well.
Actually i think it was a good idea on there part to make it hard to be a jedi. It makes it more realistic. If they let anyone be a jedi then thats all there would be! You'd walk into town and instead of see merchants, pilots, and scum, you'd see jedi knights, Jedi masters, and Sith....
To me it wouldn't be very fun. I'm glad with the way they are doing it. :)
 Boba Rhett
08-01-2001, 4:41 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if I get the game, I'm going to do whatever the hell I have to to be a Jedi.
 FlyBOy
08-01-2001, 4:43 PM
i don't think you have a choice in the matter, either you have force abilities when you start or don't, which really sucks
 Boba Rhett
08-01-2001, 4:50 PM
The way I understood it was that all Human characters will have the potential to become a Jedi.
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
The way I understood it was that all Human characters will have the potential to become a Jedi.
Really? Only Human? Well if they are just making it human they can kiss *holds back angry, and resists saying something that will get him banned*
 Boba Rhett
08-01-2001, 5:06 PM
Well, maybe it's humanoids :D
 Dorsk8199
08-01-2001, 5:38 PM
Nah I've heard all the races can become jedi. It's just supposed to take a long time. Like a long time. Maybe a years worth of playing from some of the posts over at the galaxies forums. In my opinion they are just using a "gotta catch em all" approach to star wars. Star Wars Galaxies slogan "gotta pay your subscription fees for a year to be a jedi!". Cool huh?
 Tie Guy
08-01-2001, 11:17 PM
...not really. I'd rather have the aproach that there is a 1 in 100 chance that you can become a jedi. Then , if you've got teh talent you gotta meat the people and pass the trilas to become a full jedi.
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 11:22 PM
...not really. I'd rather have the aproach that there is a 1 in 100 chance that you can become a jedi. Then , if you've got teh talent you gotta meat the people and pass the trilas to become a full jedi.
Yeah, I like that. It seems more realistic. But then again you are forking out cash to play and you should be able to play as what makes you happy. Personally I could care less about being a jedi or not. I'd rather not be so it would give the people playing a more realistic (for starwars) feel.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 12:11 PM
...or you could only become a jedi after you were discovered by another jedi. that way everybody could have potential, but you'd have to be 'drafted'
 Kvan
08-02-2001, 2:14 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
...or you could only become a jedi after you were discovered by another jedi. that way everybody could have potential, but you'd have to be 'drafted'
Yeah and the jedi that finds you can give you a midichloryon (sp) injection to make you force sensitive :/
I like your idea though.
I know! I think they'll make it so you can become a jedi if you pay a higher monthly fee!!
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 3:27 PM
"Excuse me sir, can I see your Jedi-clubcard ?'
:p
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 9:29 PM
"Uh...I think i left it in my other pair of pants." :D

Anyways, that would be a good idea, but then people would just go around make a ton of other people jedi, and it would get unrealistic.

Which brings up th question, How will people communicate to each other in the game, type?
 Paragon_Leon
08-03-2001, 8:57 AM
don't know, but the Jedi selection can be made scarce.

for instance: everyone would have Force-potential, but would only be discovered by existing Jedi, and then still at random.
you see, Jedi would generally have something better to do than scout for new Jedi.
 Kvan
08-03-2001, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
don't know, but the Jedi selection can be made scarce.

for instance: everyone would have Force-potential, but would only be discovered by existing Jedi, and then still at random.
you see, Jedi would generally have something better to do than scout for new Jedi.
Why would you have something better to do? Sure the imps are hunting you but wouldn't you want to expand the jedi order to insure their survival?
 Tie Guy
08-03-2001, 2:10 PM
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Anyways, I was also wondering if there will be alot of AI people in the game, coz there won't be enough gamers to make it realistic.
 Kvan
08-03-2001, 2:14 PM
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Anyways, I was also wondering if there will be alot of AI people in the game, coz there won't be enough gamers to make it realistic.
You don't think there will be enough "real" people? How so?
I think there is gonna be a ton of people!!
 Telephius
08-03-2001, 2:17 PM
Um actually to some of us paying a monthly fee is maybe less expensive. Think of it some of us by games lets say every 2 months(more than likely different genres for each game). Well I bought Ultima Online for 54 dolloars Canadian, whuch gives on free month. I could choose to pay about 40. canadian for 3 months of play time. Lets go six months thats about 70 dollars for most games in Canada so thats 70*3=210 dollars but the 40.00(3 months)*2= 80 dollars and the more you play it the more that intially purchase becomes more irrelavant. I mean I don't have exact numbers but I think thats about right. An

For the point that no jedi would want to go hunting for force carrying people to surive, that is wrong one if you are both Jedi why not get one more ally plus people in a MMORPG people tend not to be 100% competitive I mean in UO I got cool arnour just for being nice to someone, even with my thief character people gave me nightshade(used to make poisons) which I could easily use against them.
 Paragon_Leon
08-04-2001, 10:36 AM
I'm not claiming they simply wouldn't or shouldn't scout for other Jedi; just that it should be made very scarce. If you really had about 100 gamers scout for Jedi all day long (which would happen if it became really popular), you would end up with a world populated only by Jedi really fast..

Telephius, since you have UO and have played it, can you tell us a bit on what we can expect from Galaxies ? i.e. what is such a game like and how it works ?
 Tie Guy
08-04-2001, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kvan

You don't think there will be enough "real" people? How so?
I think there is gonna be a ton of people!!

Well, seeing as alot of worlds have billions of people, i don't think that there will be enough to fill even one world, or part of one for that matter.
 Telephius
08-04-2001, 5:23 PM
Well I am guessing not everyone will be a jedi since it sounds desirable they will more than likely have restrictions. In UO a guy could be a superb adventurer, lets say the top in swordsmanship, magery, and parrying(do dodge attacks) and archery however for all those thats 400 skill points out of 700 down the drain, and there are a lot of skills. Someone like this is great at fighting others and monsters, however they will more liekly rely on other to provide them supplies. My character is good at fencing(spears/forks), parrying, and archey for my fighting skills. I also have flething, some lumberjacking so I can make my own arrows out of wood and feathers instead of buying them.

As for everyone being a jedi maybe everyone wants to but in UO there are multiple servers(different worlds) which allow you to have six different characters per server that means a person could have a mage, warrior, merchant on one server or put each on on a different one. Also it depends on play style where a jedi may be better at a straight up fight a bounty hunter may be better for using sneakier tricks. Also we are also dependent on our own skills, I mean in Team Fortress a lot of people would like to be a sniper and pick guys off from a distance but not all of us play that class because we are much more superior at maybe a soldier or spy.

I would also say there will be alot of nice people that will give you free stuff or sell you it cheap and there will be people that will go around hunting travelers and being jerks but thats the point of a MMO game to a diverse world. But as in UO they have safe guards so llamas don't rule like if you attack some one that isn't in a no-kill(unless mutual) zone and they are not part of an enemy guild, and you kill the victim then you get a murder count. This means that you are flagged red and of you enter a town AI guards will kill you and in killzones it won't flag an attacker as a murder(plus if he brings your head to the guards he gets payment) and the more you murder the worse consequnces you r character gets when he/she dies like skill loss and item loss, where a good character won't recive that much penalty for dying.

*breath*

ok I hope I helped will my giant post
Page: 1 of 2