Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Biological enhancements/Cybernetics

Page: 1 of 1
 C'jais
07-13-2003, 2:02 PM
Would you get them if they were available?

Of course assuming that they're mass market, and work like they're supposed to, there'd be many possibilities:

Actual prosphetic limb replacements and enhancements - A vat grown arm if you lost one of your own in an accident. Works just like yours, complete with nervecells and what have you.

Muscle and neuron replacements - run as fast as a horse, jump like a cat, be as strong as a bear etc.

Enhanced immune system (white sharks), resistance to radioactivity (scorpions, cockroaches).

Viral engineering - get your DNA flushed of any unwanted sh*t. No chance of getting genetically ill kids, plus you avoid such effects yourself for the rest of your life.

Enhanced eyes and ears - low-light vision, magnification, ultraviolet and infrared - hear ultrasonic frequencies. Implanted cell phone for instant communication.

Optimized kidneys, lungs, liver and heart. Gene enhancement that counteracts cellular degredation. Or what about a more efficient brain that repairs itself, utilizes the available space better - more memory, learn as fast as a 5-year old your whole life, think more clearly etc.

Onboard computer connected to your brain - upload information like in The Matrix. be connected to a global, wireless network consisting of everyone with such an implant.

For the ultimate buzz - upload your consciousness to said global network. Be an online personality.
 ShockV1.89
07-13-2003, 2:19 PM
I would get all of those except for the last one. It just sorta creeps me out.

I really dont see any disadvantage to having any of those. Assuming they were perfected and cleared of any major risks, they would be great to have. No doubt someone will have a problem with it based on religion, but that's never stopped me before...
 FenderJedi87
07-13-2003, 7:11 PM
I'd have to say yes. I'd take all of those except for the last one also. I don't think....i'd want to be solely a virtual entity that could be deleted with the click of a button.
 Dagobahn Eagle
07-13-2003, 9:43 PM
Put it this way:
If I lost my right arm, and could have an artificially grown one just like mine, then sure. If I lost blood, and could have some blood that had been "grown" in a laboratory, fine by me.

Chopping off my right arm for a muscular arm.. nope.
 El Sitherino
07-14-2003, 1:57 AM
hell yeah. i would love it. i mean seriously if you had a chance to gain mass amounts of information without having to listen to some dull speaking jerk wouldn't you take it. i would, i would do it all the time. with this it's just a direct link up to the internet but it goes right into your memory. me i'd spend most of my time also downloading songs right into my brain whatever i want to listen to i just think about it and bam
 Kain
07-14-2003, 2:15 AM
Well, in actuallity, law would have these kind of things under severe protection, they'd be very costly, and they'd undoubtably limit every person to 1 or 2 'upgrades'. Although the regrowing of lost limbs would become basic medical surgery. Personally though, I'd get the cat-reflexes and the dark vision
 Homuncul
07-14-2003, 6:30 AM
I think people lost much during their unconscious evolution. They didn't use it and they lost it. My credo is:"Be prepared". Of course I'd take all these things (a super hero I will be then... Mhuahahaha :cool: ). We need to be as tough as the Fremen.
 FunClown
07-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Of course I would. :) In the words of Homer Simpson "I'm always one for self improvement!"

In the future, I think you may see people have camera's like Infra Red and heat sensors connected directly to the visual cortex of the brain. Some people who were once blind see through a camera connected to their visual cortex in the brain that allows them to see black and white (only two colours, has no grey area).

I can seriously see this used by intellligence agencies in the not to distance future.
 Captain Wilson
07-28-2003, 10:45 PM
sure i'd 'upgrade', but you'd be left with a huge problem. the first to get 'upgraded' would probaly destroy all resech and prevent others becoming like them, and most probaly rule the world like Gods. I know i would :D
 Homuncul
07-29-2003, 6:41 AM
sure i'd 'upgrade', but you'd be left with a huge problem. the first to get 'upgraded' would probaly destroy all resech and prevent others becoming like them, and most probaly rule the world like Gods. I know i would

What's wrong with upgrade. Time of upgrade and it's difficulty was not the issue. We upgrade ourselves from birth. We would be cave men if we did not. And upgrade is a process. What C'Jais propose is the future development of our methods of development. It's like you're born and you don't have to learn in school, but just there is machine instead of it that puts all the information you need (and probably more) into your brain in minitues instead of months or years.

None would rule the world as he would like, it's a superstition (like some Sky Net a.i. controlling everything on the planet and destroying humanity). By the time such enhancements would become popular, humanity would have to face much more complicated problems than this, and probably the matter of ambition of controlling everything and dictate would become highly irrelevant.
 yolkboy
07-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Put it this way:
If I lost my right arm, and could have an artificially grown one just like mine, then sure. If I lost blood, and could have some blood that had been "grown" in a laboratory, fine by me.
Chopping off my right arm for a muscular arm.. nope.
I agree with Dagobahn Eagle. But, in the event that isn't an option, I would have to say I would do enhancements on a Need basis.
 Redwing
07-30-2003, 2:31 AM
If they were available, mass market, and worked perfect, I don't see why not. Except the last one - no way. I would hate to be a near-immortal machine.

Honestly, however, I wouldn't trust those advancements very well if they came within my lifetime. Too many possible life-ruining "glitches". ;)
 El Sitherino
07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Redwing
Too many possible life-ruining "glitches". ;) like my right mechanical arm will go berserk and kill everyone?
 griff38
07-30-2003, 1:21 PM
H*LL yes. You can already get pacemakers, laser eye surgery, implants of all types.
Ever seen the mountain climber who lost both legs? He fabricated his own prostetic limbs and can do things now an athelete can't even do.

I would take pig heart, cloned organs, fetal cell therapy, anything.
Page: 1 of 1