Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Walking in MI1

Page: 1 of 1
 Nilrem
06-03-2003, 8:39 AM
Ok, I was just wondering about the game mechanics behind MI1, mainly walking around, I'm probably going to stick with my current method of meshing for my 2D remake version, however I don't know how MI1 handled on screen walking etc, did they use a box grid type method? I was just curious, as I really want to look into it to see their method compared to my method, but I cannot find any relevant pages or info.
 bgbennyboy
06-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Yeah box grid, to see look at the boxd block in a room in scumm revisited. Click view boxes and view background when the window opens.
 moebius
06-03-2003, 10:29 AM
As far as I know, and if you are interested in pathfinding, one of the best is the A* search/pathfinding algorithm. Just make a quick search at Google and you will get lots of useful information, and even sample implementations. If you are curious, I can tell you that pathfinding is one of the problems that artificial intelligence tries to solve. Nearly all book on AI discuss a bunch of pathfinding techniques and algos. Some are better in certain circumstances, but in general A* will perform politely and with a fairly good speed in any situation.
 Nilrem
06-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Thankyou Moebius, I will do that, and thanks once again Benny, I'll try that just to see an example.
 Cutthroat_Nick
07-19-2003, 9:15 PM
The use of boxes occurs in all Lucas Arts SCUMM games, doesn't it?
 moebius
07-20-2003, 9:44 PM
As far as I know, all Lucasarts' games that use SCUMM use the walk boxes.
 Nilrem
07-21-2003, 2:51 PM
I'm currently using a different method, I have a hidden screen of the current backdrop, and it is white and black, black been the walkable parts and white been not walkable.
Page: 1 of 1