Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Page: 1 of 2
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 7:31 PM
Well its downloading now. its at the offical web page at lucas arts. YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSs
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-14-2003, 7:37 PM
SWEET A NEW HUD!!!
Its only half way done but some of the baddies are useing froce rage! and he pushes a big rock out of the way!
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 7:40 PM
Man I am $h!t for find it and this game is going to be the $h!T
 mariners2001
05-14-2003, 7:40 PM
SWEET!!! I'm just starting to download...can't wait to see!
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 7:42 PM
I know it sucks having 56K
 Wacky_Baccy
05-14-2003, 7:47 PM
The trailer ROCKS :D

I think we may possibly just havea JK beater here... Possibly...

Don't quote me on that yet, though :p

*uploads trailer somewhere in case the LEC site dies from the strain*
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-14-2003, 7:52 PM
Roll on the floor!!!! Tauntauns!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!! Armed and Dangerous is hilarious, i wasnt at all excited ffor that game but now i am, the gravity world flipper is so funny! Im downloading Fullt throttle, sounds good so far
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 7:55 PM
U know i posted a countdown that said all this info would come out today, no one belevied me and it got closed.
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 8:04 PM
did ne one notice the xwing, maybe a drivable vechile
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-14-2003, 8:09 PM
Are there saber burn marks? If you have quicktime you can look at each frame, when the guy is doign the first rolll on the floor and the guy is jumping over him it looks like a mark on his chest and head. Also the creature in the cave, is it a wampa? doesnt look hary enough, but it looks like that has burn marks. I dont know how to get pictures. Also in the gold guy intro it sounds like the saber sound are better. I couldnt hear too much of a difference over the music in the actual trailer.
 Jolts
05-14-2003, 8:11 PM
they may have changed the turn on/off sounds, but the others are the same.
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-14-2003, 8:14 PM
I didnt see any rag doll things happening. A stormie got shot, spun, and hit the ground, noting real new there.
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 8:15 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't say ne things else us 56kers don't want soppliers*moans in agony of waiting*AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
 mariners2001
05-14-2003, 8:17 PM
Here's a summary of what I saw in the trailer:

Enemies: Snowtroopers, Wampa, Rancor, Tusken Raiders (with pikes and rifles), Possible Mandalorian (halfway through), Assasin dudes (w/sabers and guns)
Weapons: New pistol (looks a bit like Han Solo's gun?), Tusken pike, Tusken Rifle
Vehicles: Maybe the X-Wing? Tauntaun riding
Moves: Rolling while knocked on the ground, new saber special moves
Combat looks identical
Graphics also look identical
Complaints: Lightsabers still don't light up the freaking rooms
Release Date: Once again, Fall 2003

Overall, I have to say it's a rather disappointing trailer...just because it doesn't seem to showcase anything out of the ordinary....just my opinion
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-14-2003, 8:23 PM
OK, I'm 99% sure I saw sabre burn marks. Right before it says "of a jedi master" he is fighting two saber baddies, the jedi gets pushed back, you can see on his left side under his left arm, and on his right forearm burn marks, you have to slow it down but they are there. Yeah, it is sad the sabers dont light up a room, they are showing a lot of dark spots, and it would be cool. I red somewhere that the quake engin isnt capable of doing that, dont know though.

Were thoes wampas? They looked hairless, maybe they're the domestic ones, Kinda like poodles.
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 8:30 PM
Those 2 blue panels are awsome.
 mariners2001
05-14-2003, 8:34 PM
well....right now there isn't actually any evidence to what they're there for
 Blademaster_109
05-14-2003, 8:46 PM
The fight that involes the guy who pushed the rock and the 2 other ppl is gay. its to dark to see
 Deadeye
05-14-2003, 9:31 PM
The fighter from the beginning is a Z-95 Headhunter, not an Xwing.

The trailer looks cool. Kinda dark to see, but still cool.
When the player gets kicked was sweet! Plus when he does that roll attack (not the one on the floor), in the air with the two sabers.

I wish they would lose the effects on force push. Just push the object like in the movies. No sparkles and spell-casting crap.

It looked wildly fast paced. I hope the actual game is not a saber- flailing-fest. I hope you can make calculated attacks and moves.

Did you guys notice the constantly fluctuating force meter? It went down from 100 right as the guy pushed the rock. Understandably so, but it also went down as the guy was dueling with the other saber-wielding bad guys. I wonder if that is some kind of blocking or defense meter.

There are plenty of things to critize about the trailer, and gameplay, and several things to look forward to. I'm gonna buy this game regardless, and nothing about it would probably change my mind. I'm looking forward to many games coming out THIS year. What are you guys looking forward to?

Enter the Matrix (xb) -this week!!!
Brute Force (xb)
KOTOR (xb)
Half-Life 2 (pc)
Deus Ex 2 (pc)
Jedi Academy (pc)
Doom III (pc)
Starcraft Ghost (xb)
Legacy of Kain: Defiance (xb)
Rogue Leader III (gc)

That's roughly order of release date, not preference.
I hate that many of them come out at the same time. Because of that I still haven't finished Splinter Cell (xb), Metroid Prime, and Zelda! I need one game to concentrate on at a time, or I might not finish it, but I don't think I can pass on any of those games. I might wait for reviews of Brute Force first, but the others I will probably buy blindly.
 Master_Payne
05-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Nice trailer, a lot of new moves based on the same combat system, I'm going to watch it again frame by frame and see if I can find something that deserves posting.
I personally liked more the Kotor trailer.
Is that Yoda? (in case you haven't seen it yet)
 JaledDur
05-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Complaints: Lightsabers still don't light up the freaking rooms

And they never will light up dark rooms, as the lighting in Q3 depends on a multiplication operation. If the light on the surface is very close to or at zero, multiplaying it by a million still makes it close to zero. Raven cant do much about it I guess.
 mariners2001
05-14-2003, 10:58 PM
i have no clue about the specifics on teh Q3 engine but if the JK1 engine supported it I really can't believe they can't find a way in JK3
 StormHammer
05-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Well, I've finally managed to get hold of the trailer (thanks again Wacky_Baccy for your help ;) ), and I think it's great. I love the new moves, the Taun Tauns, and trying to handle that Rancor at the end.

I agree that the glowy effect for Force Push doesn't really need to be there - especially considering the cursor tells you which Force power you can use on an object anyway.

Fighting with two sabers definitely looks like fun, though. :D

I hope we get to use Taun Tauns in MP as well as SP...I can imagine Saber Jousting tournaments. :D

It certainly looks fast-paced. Well done Raven. ;)
 Taos
05-14-2003, 11:10 PM
I like the look of the game from that trailer! I can't wait to play it.....looks like there will be lots of different things in this game. :D
 Spider AL
05-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Looks good. I suggest that when the game is released all Lucasforum member-players who lived through the dark times, through the empire of fanboys that picked the bones of JO, should have a large multiplayer match to celebrate.
 Prime
05-15-2003, 12:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of double bladed lightsabers, so as long I can stick with my single blade, I'll be happy. Other than that, the game looks pretty good.
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Hey AL, thats a great idea, someone should set up a server so people from this board could play together, maybe even backup their talk!
 Rupeshvaswani
05-15-2003, 4:38 AM
Well, the game does look nice with all the new saber moves, and some of the new things added. The rancor looks just unbelievable. However, I think that perhaps Raven should add a strafe lock to the game. For example, your strafe is locked and you cannot move left or right to avoid. You should then have a dodge key implemented, that lets you avoid moves by dodging back, left, or right (maybe by either jumping to the left [left strafe-type jump] or a dodge with the body) . Also, I hope that manual blocking can also be implemented.

I really don't expect Raven to do the aforementioned anyhow. Although, there are many modders out there who can probably figure this out. It would be cool to see.
 Luc Solar
05-15-2003, 5:36 AM
OMFG!! I loved that trailer!!!

Though it seems that my favourite idea, force telekinesis, won't be in SP.

I sure hope it's implemented in MP to at least some extent.

BTW - did you notice that the jedi pushed that one guy off the cliff? I didn't hear him yell "LAMER!!!" when falling ... so let's keep that whole whining-thing out of JA, shall we? :)
 Luc Solar
05-15-2003, 5:45 AM
Originally posted by Rupeshvaswani
However, I think that perhaps Raven should add a strafe lock to the game.

Like in Blade Of Darkness? How on earth would you fight against multiple opponents? What about MP? Guns?

I can assure you that they won't add that. The game is too far along and that idea is horrible considering first person shooters.

Manual blocking would be cool especially in MP. It seemed to work somewhat well in Promod. :)

Oh well, we'll see.
 HertogJan
05-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Here's a direct link to the trailer:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/movies/trailer_1.mov)

Downloading right now :)

[EDIT]
Well I was a bit dissapointed with the trailer, it's pretty short and you don't see that much different things... I liked the JO trailer better :D

But it's cool to see the sabers in action, I saw a twi'lek with two sabers doing some kind of DFA... with two sabers at the same time :confused:
 Pedro The Hutt
05-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Actually that was a finishing move, concidering that Tusken was already floored.
(and on the Yoda in KotOR thing, that's impossible, Kotor takes place 4000 years before ANH, Yoda was born rhoughly about 900 years before ANH, if anything it's a person of the same species as Yoda)
 PrimoSidone
05-15-2003, 11:55 AM
The download is sloooooooooow
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Maybe 900 Yoda years, kinda like Dog years
 PrimoSidone
05-15-2003, 12:11 PM
The damn thing stoppes when it reaches 1/4....
 Prime
05-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
Manual blocking would be cool especially in MP. From the clip, I get a sense that there won't be manual blocking in JA. Apart from some different moves, the lightsaber combat seems quite similar to JO. Which is fine with me really.
 PrimoSidone
05-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Hmmm when i dl the movie.... it stoppes and my quiktime shutts off................. :swear:
 Pedro The Hutt
05-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo
Maybe 900 Yoda years, kinda like Dog years

Nah, Even in the time line it reads that Yoda was born 896 years before the battle of Yavin. In any case it's a being of the same, or similar species to that of Yoda's.
 Swat
05-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
In any case it's a being of the same, or similar species to that of Yoda's.

yup u're right. it was confirmed so. i can't dig up the info because it was in a very old preview
 Master_Payne
05-15-2003, 3:14 PM
I'm almost sure there's wounds marks on the game but there's something strange about it. in the first half of the trailer the male human has a clean back, but in the second half he has a glowy red wound on his back, the strange is that when the twi'lek hits the tuskens no marks appears, and also there's saber clipping in the floor roll, but this are insignificants details, the game is still great.

offtopic, if Kotor is 4000 years b4 ANH and a Yoda can live up to 1000 years aprox. can he be Yoda's Grampa? will they finally say what is Yoda?.
 txa1265
05-15-2003, 3:30 PM
First - Jedi Academy is my *most wanted* game. I will probably also get KOTOR when it hits PC, but I'm looking forward to JA more than DX2, HL3, Doom3, Tron 2, EF2, etc ...

That said, I liked the trailer quite a bit, but it lacks the 'WOW' factor of the HL2 and Doom3 spots. I think that is largely because we already know this game in a way - I see it similar to seeing a MotS trailer - evolution over revolution. The game plays fast and detailed - I can't wait to get into it.

Mike

As for thinking someone from 4000 years pre-Ep1 is Yoda ... as ObiWan would say "Use the Force ... THINK" ;)

Or from Yoda himself "Strong am I in the Force, but not THAT strong..."

Mike
 Kurgan
05-15-2003, 6:41 PM
Are those "red things" wound marks? I swore they were using "Dark Rage"... however the "Wampa" thing has only a portion of his body "lit up" so maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe its some new power.. like a "drain" that works more slowly on the enemies health, or a shield system of some sort (but on a Wampa?).

Anyway, that "Z-95 Headhunter" could simply be an X-Wing with its X-foils in "standby" position (or whatever the opposite of "attack position" is). Some fanboy who knows more than me speak up...
 shock ~ unnamed
05-15-2003, 6:54 PM
looks like rage.
watch the part where he is fighting those guys again.
The one on the right side of the screen is in rage but comes out of it and slows down just like in jk2.

as for that big monster thing, yeah I noticed it as well.
but in jk2 if strapping rocks to the chest of a person was part of the story maybe rage/dark side stuff plays a part of the story in a way like the crystal junk did in jk2.
 HertogJan
05-15-2003, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by PrimoSidone
Hmmm when i dl the movie.... it stoppes and my quiktime shutts off................. :swear:

I had that too, I just copied the link to the .mov in mass downloader and it worked :) DAP should work too :)
 Solbe M'ko
05-15-2003, 7:19 PM
I just skimmed over this thread.

The sabers in the original trilogy (particularly ANH) did not give off light to the surroundings. This was likely because of graphical limitations at the time. Even the dudes bodies didn't get lit up. Now the new movies have that feature.

Which is better? I don't know.
 PrimoSidone
05-15-2003, 7:49 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
I had that too, I just copied the link to the .mov in mass downloader and it worked :) DAP should work too :)

NO, i mean when i am watching the trailer. it just shutts down...quiktime heeft een fout ver oorzaakt, and needs to be closed blablabla
 Master_Payne
05-15-2003, 9:56 PM
... I was talking about the red glowy mark on the back and left flank of the human male jedi or (main character) that you see. watch fourth frame of 1:11 and second frame of 1:22 you can see a horizontal red glowy line on the character much like those on previus screenshots.
 Emon
05-15-2003, 10:11 PM
I know some people were concerned that lightstaff and dual lightsaber animations might be cheap, like the lightstaff being one handed. I assure you this isn't the case. Although the lightstaff has one handed moves, if you watch the trailer slowly (it goes by so fast) you'll notice many times where two hands are holding and swinging.

Reason for this? Probably that Darth Maul's strict two handed style is overused in games and it's all over fan films. I'm guessing Raven wanted to create a newer style, probably a combination of his, Exar Kun's one handed, and other elements.

And if you watch it slowly, you'll catch glimpse of some incredible dual saber action, some butterfly like spin moves with dual sabers, and some new Force getup animations. :)
 Prime
05-16-2003, 1:29 AM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
This was likely because of graphical limitations at the time. You mean the cheap props? :)
 Emon
05-16-2003, 4:31 AM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
I just skimmed over this thread.

The sabers in the original trilogy (particularly ANH) did not give off light to the surroundings. This was likely because of graphical limitations at the time. Even the dudes bodies didn't get lit up. Now the new movies have that feature.

Which is better? I don't know.

Eh, EP2 had a bit of colored lighting on the faces in that one duel, but other than that it was still nonexistant. You'd literally have to recreate the entire scene in 3D to get shadows to cast properly, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Page: 1 of 2