Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The official E3 Hands-on Previews of JA thread

Page: 2 of 2
 txa1265
05-21-2003, 9:26 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
Sounds awesome! :laughing: (i know the face is ugly) And I thought that Jedi Knight 2 was the best game in the world....:eek:

It is the best game in the world ... it is just going to be replaced ... by JA.

(sure I'll play, and probably really like Deus Ex 2, HL2, and Doom3 ... in descending order ... but I'm betting on JA to be my fave)

Mike
 Joetheeskimo
05-21-2003, 9:39 AM
(sure I'll play, and probably really like Deus Ex 2, HL2, and Doom3 ... in descending order ... but I'm betting on JA to be my fave)

me too ;)
 StormHammer
05-21-2003, 9:40 AM
Thanks for that, Swat. At least now we know to turn Absorb on when navigating catwalks. :p
 txa1265
05-21-2003, 9:58 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
This whole thing sounds too good to be true (forgive the thoughts of a paranoid freak). All the sabers, drivable vehicles, charcter and mission and force and weapon customization...ON THE SAME ENGINE AS JO?!!? I dunno....I just can't believe ALL these features'll work out...well...I guess we'll know in...(looks at watch) 6 months....

The same engine ... it is amazing how the Q3 engine has scaled. I just played the Elite Force 2 demo at 1280 x 1024, and it looked sweet. I can't wait to see Jedi Academy ...

Before someone states the obvious, of course there are limits to what the Q3 engine can deliver. We saw the HL2 and Doom 3 videos, and those of us with robust connections may have seen the 25 minute HL2 presentation. They are advanced engines that will provide things that the Q3 engine is simply not capable of. However, Carmack himself said that there were compromises required, like only a couple of aliens at any time, but that plays into the way they've set up the game. I'm sure we'll find that in HL2 you can't manipulate *everything* like they seemed to in the tech demo. There are always compromises and trade-offs.

I am very thrilled about this game ... thanks for popping by Mike, you always seem to time it perfectly :)

Oh, on the saber duels ... personally I like both TPM and AotC, for different reasons. Many people seem to like to distance themselves from stating they like anything about TPM. For me, TPM is about the dying republic and the last glories of the Jedi, and AotC is beginning to tighten scope to more personal stories. As a movie AotC is my favorite of the whole series, TPM is last, but I still like to skip to the saber parts ;)

Mike
 Joetheeskimo
05-21-2003, 9:58 AM
Swat, is it okay if I take some of that article for my webpage I'm building? :jawa:
 txa1265
05-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
Swat, is it okay if I take some of that article for my webpage I'm building? :jawa:

I would be very careful ... the article is at http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=91612)

... and unless Swat is Stuart Bishop (who wrote the article) chances are he can't give you permission for anything.

Mike
 SettingShadow
05-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
Oh, on the saber duels ... personally I like both TPM and AotC, for different reasons. Many people seem to like to distance themselves from stating they like anything about TPM. For me, TPM is about the dying republic and the last glories of the Jedi, and AotC is beginning to tighten scope to more personal stories. As a movie AotC is my favorite of the whole series, TPM is last, but I still like to skip to the saber parts ;)

Mike

I think the duels in AotC went by too fast.. and Yoda vs Dooku was IMO pathetic.. Yoda just battered on like mad.. and ANH is my fav of the series... anyway, I get back to the topic before a mod tells me to. :D

And as with Jedi Outcast, there'll be plenty of puzzles to solve.

Jedi Outcast didn't have a lot of puzzles, and the puzzles that it did have, was easy to solve.. I was never stuck in more than 5 min.. now the puzzles in Jedi Knight on the other hand, could be very hard and some times I was on my way to read a walkthrough of the game.. changed my mind in the last second, though. I hope there be puzzles in Jedi Academy, but I hope they'll be better than in JO.
 wardz
05-21-2003, 8:33 PM
The game looks promising but the issue of force powers dependent on what saber you are using irks me somewhat.

I'm sure a compromise could be reached.

Perhaps if you use the Staff you can only use the powers when you are stationary for a few moments. So imagine you are using the Staff and stop moving - for a few seconds you would continue to hold it in both hands then leave it in one hand, sort of like the animations when the game is left idle for a while (but without such a long pause). That way we can prevent them running around with a SaberStaff AND spamming the force powers. Obviously they would risk using the powers because a still target is easier to hit than a moving one.

anyone agree?

-W
 Wacky_Baccy
05-21-2003, 9:56 PM
Posted by wardz
The game looks promising but the issue of force powers dependent on what saber you are using irks me somewhat.

<snip>

anyone agree?
Yes, very much so - I really don't like the idea of not being able to use Force powers that "require" your hands when you're using more than a single sabre, and I like your suggestion for compromise :)

I also think you should post here more, wardz - us oldbies miss you :p :D
 Swat
05-22-2003, 2:14 AM
unless Swat is Stuart Bishop (who wrote the article) chances are he can't give you permission for anything.
ya, i can't. sorry :)
 ToppDog
05-22-2003, 2:35 AM
Originally posted by wardz

Perhaps if you use the Staff you can only use the powers when you are stationary for a few moments. So imagine you are using the Staff and stop moving - for a few seconds you would continue to hold it in both hands then leave it in one hand, sort of like the animations when the game is left idle for a while (but without such a long pause). That way we can prevent them running around with a SaberStaff AND spamming the force powers. Obviously they would risk using the powers because a still target is easier to hit than a moving one.

anyone agree?

-W

I do, sort of. You shouldn't have to be stationary, but you shouldn't be able to attack with the staff at the same time. I think walking/running etc. is okay because you'd just be holding the staff with one hand while using force powers with the other. Maul did it this way too.

I could see a restriction for 2 saber players. They should have to switch to one saber in order to use those kind of force powers. but staff users should just have to be not attacking with the staff held in one hand, & they should be more vulnerable to saber attacks while doing so too.
 MattJedi
05-24-2003, 1:09 PM
Yes I agree, if you have two sabers you should just have to quickly holster one to use force powers. There should be limits for duel and staff when it comes to force thow cause realisticly it would take more concentration to use those weapons.
 ToppDog
05-24-2003, 7:36 PM
It looks like staff users won't be able to throw their staffs, & I doubt dual saber users will be able to throw more than one at a time.

I hope things will still be balanced for those purists that decide to stick with one saber. I think one way to do this would be to have the dual saber users not be able to use strong stances because it would typically require two hands on one saber to do those power moves.
 HertogJan
05-25-2003, 5:29 AM
Originally posted by ToppDog
It looks like staff users won't be able to throw their staffs, & I doubt dual saber users will be able to throw more than one at a time.

I hope things will still be balanced for those purists that decide to stick with one saber. I think one way to do this would be to have the dual saber users not be able to use strong stances because it would typically require two hands on one saber to do those power moves.

I dunno for sure, but all the articles I've read state that with dual sabres, you can throw both of em :rolleyes: Sounds like a really BAD idea to me :(
 ToppDog
05-25-2003, 6:13 AM
LOL. Guess we'll have Jedi Juggling shows then. Might look cool though.
 StormHammer
05-26-2003, 8:46 AM
Well, there is another (short) preview up on the game over at Gamers First (http://www.gamesfirst.com/previews/jeremyk/jk_jediacademy/jediacademy.htm), and while there is not a great deal of new information, it does firm up on a few things that have been under speculation**.

** Assuming the article writer knows what they're talking about.

Here's a shameless rip...

You can throw one lightsaber at an enemy far away, while simultaneously Force Pulling another enemy over to you and cutting him down with your second lightsaber, then reach over and catch the first blade on its return path.

That's how I imagined it would be...and it sounds great. :D

The article also actually mentions Speeder Bikes as another of the vehicles.

So what are you waiting for? Go and read it. :p
 Joetheeskimo
05-26-2003, 2:43 PM
HOLY POPCORN THAT SOUNDS AWESOME :eek:
 GreenDevil
05-31-2003, 2:26 AM
All I care is that I get to play as a Kel Dor....

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 HertogJan
05-31-2003, 12:12 PM
HOLY POPCORN THAT SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER WHORE MOVE!!

:rolleyes: Really I don't think you should be able to do all that stuff with the dual sabers... Raven had problems balancing 1 single saber, so I'm not that confident they will be able to balance the JA gameplay, with all the new saber stuff :( :(

[EDIT]
Oh, the reviewer still doesn't know it isn't called JKIII :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 Dante_CL
05-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Can't wait til it come out
 boinga1
05-31-2003, 12:41 PM
From the Gamesfirst article
If you thought that the battles were exciting in Jedi Outcast, wait until you play Jedi Academy. You can take on multiple opponents in all new ways.

Exciting? Not really. Desann wasn't exciting, he was hard, and speed + red spamming him was dull. Some of the Reborn were OK.

From the Gamesfirst article
The level ended with a Jedi duel in which you both had double blades.

I had wondered how this would work....pity he doesn't tell us.
 GreenDevil
05-31-2003, 5:08 PM
:koon: :koon: :koon: :koon: :koon: LONG LIVE THE KOON!! :koon: :koon: :koon: :koon: :koon:
 Gabrobot
05-31-2003, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
HOLY POPCORN THAT SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER WHORE MOVE!!

:rolleyes: Really I don't think you should be able to do all that stuff with the dual sabers... Raven had problems balancing 1 single saber, so I'm not that confident they will be able to balance the JA gameplay, with all the new saber stuff :( :(

The sabers were fine in JKII singleplayer, JKII multiplayer was much different and much worse. The article was talking about JA singleplayer not multiplayer.

[Edit: by the way, here's a quote from the article: "The multiplayer mode has been completely revamped as well." ]
 HertogJan
06-01-2003, 7:27 AM
Yeah the saber was sweeeet in SP, and they were great in MP, but not very well balanced nonetheless :) I really really really really REALLLLY hope that we're going to have 1001 reasons to use single saber... Two sabers just seems too much for me :(
 The Count
06-02-2003, 5:24 PM
Originally posted by GreenDevil
:koon: :koon: :koon: :koon: :koon: LONG LIVE THE KOON!! :koon: :koon: :koon: :koon: :koon:

You know what you posted there could be inturpretated as racist.
 txa1265
06-02-2003, 5:54 PM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
You know what you posted there could be inturpretated as racist.

... but only by the same people who consider it racist to say 'down with the dark jedi' or 'do you want your sandwich on white bread?'.

I'm sorry ... there is a threshold of politically correct hypersensitivity which has long been crossed in society. Racism is racism, but words exist in context not in a vacuum, and someone who can't interpret basic context is stupid. If there were a mention in the articles about saber hilts and one of the hilt color choices was black, would someone posting a comment saying 'I don't like the black' also be racist ...

BTW - why is it, even though I've never collected figures from the movies, that seeing those included figures on TFN got me jazzed about the game?

Mike
 txa1265
06-04-2003, 4:20 PM
Here's the link ...

http://www.galactichunter.com/special_reports/jedi_academy.asp)

Mike

Also, there appear to be new screenshots as well, but the server isn't responding for me anymore. It is a very quick interview, with a few explanations but not 'new tidbits'.
 txa1265
06-26-2003, 3:09 PM
Here's the link: http://previews.gaminghorizon.com/media/0,100,1,318,1,789.html)

However ... it tells little, and gets some stuff wrong. Such as "As it was in Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, there are two paths that you can choose to follow. ...light side ... or ... dark side. " Umm ... the JKII on *MY* CD didn't give me any such choices ... maybe he was thinking DF2:JK - it all gets so confusing ...

Mike
 HertogJan
06-27-2003, 6:18 AM
Here's the link: http://previews.gaminghorizon.com/media/0,100,1,318,1,789.html)

However ... it tells little, and gets some stuff wrong. Such as "As it was in Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, there are two paths that you can choose to follow. ...light side ... or ... dark side. " Umm ... the JKII on *MY* CD didn't give me any such choices ... maybe he was thinking DF2:JK - it all gets so confusing ...

Mike

Thx for the link :) And yeah, previews seem to be very badly informed about JA. I've seen numerous previes that still called JA 'JKIII'...
Page: 2 of 2