Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jumping

Page: 1 of 1
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-11-2003, 1:47 PM
I sure hope they get some new jumping anamations in there. The ones in JO got real old real fast
 Solbe M'ko
05-11-2003, 2:48 PM
Hmm... I didn't think that there was a lack of jump animations, I mean, you could do a normal jump, a flip, fly. There were even four different kinds of backflip!
 PrimoSidone
05-11-2003, 3:01 PM
Yeah more jump methods would be cool :D butterfly's and stuff. things u see in movies :D
 Prime
05-11-2003, 8:51 PM
I'm pretty fond of the one where you sort of float and have your arms out.
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-12-2003, 3:21 AM
There were a lot of different anamations for jumping, but a lot of times when you would be coming down it looked like Kyle was trying to sit in the air
 Mero Vilul
05-12-2003, 5:56 AM
I would like to have the JK1 jumping back... when you hold the jump button and charge up the height of the jump... it was much better... now it feels like I'm flying... Don't like it...
 HertogJan
05-12-2003, 7:44 AM
Originally posted by Mero Vilul
I would like to have the JK1 jumping back... when you hold the jump button and charge up the height of the jump... it was much better... now it feels like I'm flying... Don't like it...

Well I agree it was more realistiv in JK1, but I don't know if I'd like it. It would be more of a challenge though, so probably good. But it must be bound to space, or I'll hate it as I did in JK1 :)
 StormHammer
05-12-2003, 8:49 AM

I think I'd prefer that for SP. I don't really mind about MP. In SP, in the later levels where your Force Jump power had increased significantly, it became increasingly difficult just to do a small jump onto the top of a crate, especially in places with lower ceilings. If they don't intend to fix that, then I wish they would introduce 'mantling', so you can just climb on top of something instead of having to whack your head on the ceiling because you jump too high...

In MP, I don't really notice it so much, because there's no real need to jump indoors.

As for the animations...I think they might tweak them, but as others have stated there were quite a few jump animations in JO. What I might like to see is some way of making it easier to pull off some of the cooler jumps, like the sideways float and the butterfly.
 Pedro The Hutt
05-12-2003, 2:27 PM
Actually you aquired the highest Force Jump in JK by giving the force jump key a very short tap. But yeah I wouldn't mind it like that , or at least more JUMP like and less... float like o.o
 Prime
05-12-2003, 3:06 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
...at least more JUMP like and less... float like o.o As long as you don't drop like a stone once you take your finger off the jump button :)
 HaruGlory89
05-12-2003, 9:31 PM
I like the jumping animations now, though they could definitely be improved.
 boinga1
05-12-2003, 9:41 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I think I'd prefer that for SP. I don't really mind about MP. In SP, in the later levels where your Force Jump power had increased significantly, it became increasingly difficult just to do a small jump onto the top of a crate, especially in places with lower ceilings. If they don't intend to fix that, then I wish they would introduce 'mantling', so you can just climb on top of something instead of having to whack your head on the ceiling because you jump too high...

One small thing- JK force jump would slam you into the cieling in such a place and do damage...I personally like the "flying" in JO....
 StormHammer
05-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
One small thing- JK force jump would slam you into the cieling in such a place and do damage...I personally like the "flying" in JO....

Yeah, you have a point. Now you mention it, I remember doing that too. Hmmm....mantling should definitely be in there. :D
 Prime
05-13-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
One small thing- JK force jump would slam you into the cieling in such a place and do damage...I personally like the "flying" in JO.... Indeed. I remember thinking:

"Wow, I'm playing a Jedi! Look at me go!" *WHAM!*

"Wow, I'm a poor Jedi." :(
 Pedro The Hutt
05-13-2003, 4:05 PM
A good Jedi is always aware of his surroundings >.> and thus won't propel him/herself into the ceiling. ^^
 Kurgan
05-13-2003, 5:45 PM
JK1/MotS had an interesting way of doing it, namely that if you weren't careful, you could hurt (or even kill) yourself with Speed and Jump! (smashing into a wall on canyon oasis was always quite funny, or crashing to your doom after blowing somebody up with your concussion rifle in mid-air).

I just assumed that in JK2, you had "perfected" the powers so that you wouldn't hurt yourself with them. But perhaps these "features" could be added back, say if you didn't assign enough points to them.

Or perhaps your powers could be "supercharge" (sacrafice safety and control for overall power).

Still, in JK2 you jump MUCH higher than you ever could in JK1/MotS, but Force Speed has been severally nerfed (Rage is closer to JK1's speed). Then again, the entire game has been slowed down in JK2, so that explains it somewhat.

I like how you "picked up speed" by running for a longer time in JK1... that was a nice touch.

Speaking of nice touches.. I liked how in JK1 your sabers worked underwater (but your swings were limited) + great swimming animations and your shots were "angled" by the water if you fired into it. JK2 you were just "flying" (as if you were zero-g in space) or treading water and your saber fizzled out (? huh? this only happens offscreen in the pre-Empire days, watch AOTC for example...) when it got wet.
 Solbe M'ko
05-13-2003, 8:29 PM
I don't own JK1, but I have played it. I liked how you had to aim your shot deflections to hit a specific target instead of just going afk and waiting till everyone was dead like in JO.
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-14-2003, 3:21 AM
"Speaking of nice touches.. I liked how in JK1 your sabers worked underwater (but your swings were limited) + great swimming animations and your shots were "angled" by the water if you fired into it"

You know, speaking of swiming, i hope they get that in the new game, it wasnt in JO, and I havent seen anyone mention it on the forums yet.
 J.K Luke
05-14-2003, 3:39 AM
would be good if they give sort of landing animation just to make jumping and landing more realistic.
 Prime
05-14-2003, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo
You know, speaking of swiming, i hope they get that in the new game, it wasnt in JO, and I havent seen anyone mention it on the forums yet. I believe you can swim in JO. Can't you?
 MattJedi
05-14-2003, 5:19 PM
I really don't like the slow mo effect for force speed, I like running like a bat out of hell in multiplayer and I would love to see the same in single player. Plus its kind weird to control when your trying to slice somone with your lightsaber when your on force speed.

As for force jump I would love to see some more movie like animations and it needs to be a lot faster, look how fast luke jumped out of the Carbonation chamber, yeah! just a bit faster would be cool. More animations the better thats what i always say!
 StormHammer
05-14-2003, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I believe you can swim in JO. Can't you?

Well...you can move under water, but I wouldn't exactly call it swimming. They didn't have very good swimming animations...they did much better with Corvus in Heretic II, so I was pretty disappointed. Anyway, the only level where I found I could go under water was in teh Yavin swamp.

I'd definitely like to see a return of fully-fledged swimming in JA...with some nice big underwater areas, like JK had. Also...if I fall into water from an acceptable height...I don't want to die like I did in JO...
 Emon
05-14-2003, 6:48 PM
Although the height of jumps in JK may be better than JO, JO's implimentation is much better.

In JK, you hold down for X milliseconds and then jump depending on how long you held it. The problem is, you don't know how high you're really going to jump. You could easily overshoot or undershoot your target. With JO, you hold it down and let go when you want to stop. Missing your target is like impossible now.
 J.K Luke
05-14-2003, 11:41 PM
In JK, you hold down for X milliseconds and then jump depending on how long you held it. The problem is, you don't know how high you're really going to jump. You could easily overshoot or undershoot your target. With JO, you hold it down and let go when you want to stop. Missing your target is like impossible now.

Yup, I agree on that
 tictoc
05-15-2003, 10:07 AM
IN JO NPC's are albe to Kartwheel, I would like to see your own character to bee able to do this, this would enable a newer/quicker form of evasion.

The idea of gender of your character in the game should link with jumping, the gender should effect strength, style etc. For example a female jedi should have more style and finnesse whilst a male jedi should be able to jump higher.

This brings up another idea of mine the should be different moves available to different gender of jedi.

:lurkblast
 Pedro The Hutt
05-15-2003, 11:49 AM
I never had such problems with Force jumping in JK, I liked it just fine, and also, like it's been stated plenty of times, much like the lightsaber, to an untrained person it can be just as dangerous to himself as it might be to his opponent. So I liked the fact that that was somewhat stressed in JK o.o In JKII the Force is pretty much foolproof.
 MattJedi
05-15-2003, 5:13 PM
Yeah well you don't see Yoda or obi wan jumping into the ceiling killing themselves in the movies now do you?

They are creating more of the feel of your a jedi so they arent gonna put the jk force jumping back to the way it was.
 Agen
05-15-2003, 5:37 PM

I agree, i liked the way you would shoot up if you tapped it but remember JUMP AND FORCE JUMP WERE SEPERATE BUTTONS,
so if the seperate button was reintroduced then we would have the ability to just jump like on a crate rather than mantling (like stormy suggested) and also it requires more skill to time this way ( charging it up and figuring it out by sheer experience)

Yeah well you don't see Yoda or obi wan jumping into the ceiling killing themselves in the movies now do you?

But you don't see them force jumping anyway (except in EP 1 - but look how high the ceiling is - You can't see it!)
Yoda's sort of ordinary jumping just because he's small when he fights Dooku though.

They are creating more of the feel of your a jedi so they arent gonna put the jk force jumping back to the way it was.

Well in JK it felt more fun - it is a game based on a movie. I actually felt more liek a jedi in MP anyway than i do in JK2 (apart from duelling with fair players)
 Prime
05-15-2003, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
Yeah well you don't see Yoda or obi wan jumping into the ceiling killing themselves in the movies now do you? But then again, you don't see them constantly picking up health packs or shields either :)
 HertogJan
05-15-2003, 7:11 PM
Or shooting that stupid flechette or imperial heavy repeater :rolleyes:

But back on topic: pleaaaase don't make seperate keys for jump and force jump again!! It's s annoying... I agree charging jump would be great, but it could be done with the same button...
 Jeff 42
05-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Force Jump in JK is like Luke's jump from the carbon freezing pit in ESB, while the Force Jump in JO is like Obi-Wan's jump during Duel of the Fates in TPM? I guess in both cases they were trying to make it like the movies.

Anyway, I like JO's Force Jump much, much better than JK's.
 Prime
05-16-2003, 1:21 AM
Originally posted by Jeff 42
Anyway, I like JO's Force Jump much, much better than JK's. Yep. It's great just the way it is.
 Emon
05-16-2003, 4:38 AM
If they change anything, it will most likely be speed and altitude.

In old JK games, I remember people who couldn't jump worth crap because of the horrible Force Jump system. I once read a bit from a clan's recruiting message, it was something like "If you can get a few kills without Force Jumping into the cieling and braking your neck, you're in."

In JO, on the other hand, is much easier. Now I often see people jumping from place to place with little problem at all. The level of precision is much higher.
 Emon
05-16-2003, 4:39 AM
Another thing I like about JO's Force Jump is the falling damage. Although not directly a part of the Force power, you can take larger falls in JO than JK. JK's four star Force Jump meant pain or death when landing. Pain if on a flat surface, but if you jumped down you were probably dead.
 Vagabond
05-16-2003, 7:11 AM
Random things I liked about JK1/MotS:

1. You could hurt yourself if you used it wrong - it being Force Jump, not unlike shooting a rocket launcher into the wall at close range.

2. You could hurt yourself if you jumped too high. Although it would have been nice to have a power to negate this, such as Force Fall.

3. You could just tap the Force Jump button and make a full-powered jump, which freed you to more easily take pot-shots with your concussion rifle as you were propelled upwards.

Random things I liked about JO:

1. Had a little bit more granular control over it - it being Force Jump, but it took much more of your attention, making opportunity fire more difficult.

2. Weapons models were rendered well, especially the E-11, Thernal Detonator, and the Bowcaster.

3. Chain Lightning looked good.

Random things I didn't like about JO:

1. Matrix-style wall-walking. It would be neat for a Matrix game, but was totally wrong for a Jedi game.

2. The arcadey bat-saber. I just can't emphasize how uncool and silly that was.

3. Very few blaster weapons; most weapons reminded me of UT-style weapons.

4. Boring selection of MP skins.

5. Couldn't use both dark and light powers in a MP character at the same time.
 HaruGlory89
05-16-2003, 9:36 AM
Ahhh, all this talk about jumping, I like jumping in JO, but I really, really, really hate those Jumping puzzles like one in DOomgiver where you had to jump to reach some switches.
 Prime
05-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond
2. You could hurt yourself if you jumped too high. Although it would have been nice to have a power to negate this, such as Force Fall.That would make things a bit more complicated than they need to be, wouldn't it? Why not just assume that that is what is "really happening"? Having to Force powers to manage your jumps just makes things more complicated than they need to be.

1. Matrix-style wall-walking. It would be neat for a Matrix game, but was totally wrong for a Jedi game.I don't mind it, but I see what your saying. I think it was just added for the "kewl" factor. I could take it or leave it.

2. The arcadey bat-saber. I just can't emphasize how uncool and silly that was.I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Are you refering to the animations of the saber, or the controls?

3. Very few blaster weapons; most weapons reminded me of UT-style weapons.I agree. I think you could get the same variety of weapons using only blaster styles and thermal detonator-like explosives. Altering the damage, rate of fire, ammo, and so on should give you enough parameters to make a wide variety of blaster weapons.

4. Boring selection of MP skins.Absolutely. They mean to tell me that having Mon Mothma and Reelo is better than maybe putting in Vader or Kenobi?

5. Couldn't use both dark and light powers in a MP character at the same time. I kind of like that you could only use one or the other. I like differences between light and dark Jedi. I do wish that there was more options for regular soldier type players.
 Vagabond
05-16-2003, 2:57 PM
What I meant by the bat-saber, is the effect that you'd see when striking someone with your lightsaber - usually during the killing blow - the vanquished would be thrown backwards several feet, looking very similar to how stuntmen look when pulled backwards by a cable.

If you think about it, a lightsaber cuts through matter, not act as some sort of super-powered club. I can sort of see LucasArts desire to keep blood and guts to a minimum in their games - however, the kinetic effect from the lightsaber was just ridiculous, in my opinion.
 Agen
05-16-2003, 6:25 PM
I found that there was no batsaber in MP which was good but seriously, i'd rather they had decapitation rather than the silly knocking around.
 MattJedi
05-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Hey guys just wondering what you guys thought of one part in the trailer, when the rodian jedi(yellow saber) is fighting that beast of some sort in the cave it looks as if he does an overhead swing like Anikan uses in AOTC when fighting dooku, the horizontal overhead type stance(not saying this is a new stance just looks like part of the swing), anyway what do you guys think?
Page: 1 of 1