Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gamecube?

Page: 1 of 1
 The Count
05-07-2003, 5:39 PM
Do you think JA will be released for the Gamecube? Seeing as JO was released on it, then in theory it should be released on the Cube aswell, I have JO on the Cube and its very good considering.
 txa1265
05-07-2003, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
Do you think JA will be released for the Gamecube? Seeing as JO was released on it, then in theory it should be released on the Cube aswell, I have JO on the Cube and its very good considering.

Right now we only know PC and XBox.

From a technical standpoint, there is no reason why it couldn't be done. From a market perspective, I have no idea about how JKII sold on the GC - do you?

I know that on the Mac it sold very well, so I fully anticipate a Mac port, but I have no clue about GC.

Mike
 Agen
05-07-2003, 6:19 PM
I'm sure that Nintendo approcahed Lucas after it was released or just before. X-Box have most likely bargained on it making some money for them so it seems they've taken it :)
I also don't know how well JK2 did on the GC so i can't say really.
 Solbe M'ko
05-08-2003, 12:16 AM
I havn't played Jo on a console, but I don't think that a controller could accomodate as well as a keyboard. Isn't force switching difficult? Well, I guess that's not really the issue here...
 Anakin
05-08-2003, 4:17 PM
Dont you guys know? Gamecube will no longer be made or available to buy by the end of the year, thx to sources close to the ground.
 Boba Rhett
05-08-2003, 4:40 PM
Discontinued? What the puq are you talking about? :indif: Who told you this?
 Anakin
05-08-2003, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Discontinued? What the puq are you talking about? :indif: Who told you this?

My head office in the UK.
 HertogJan
05-08-2003, 5:20 PM
Wow another dead console.. I guess only big companies like Microsoft and Sony will stay alive in this console war :( I'd feel really ripped off if I bought a console and it is being discontinued. Cause most likely, there will be fewer games then... Can you say 'dreamcast'??

But I don't see why they want to port JA to the GC. Why would I want to play that on my console? I'm surprised there even is a market for those games :rolleyes: But then again, I'm not a consoleplayer :)
 Prime
05-08-2003, 5:55 PM
Originally posted by Anakin
Dont you guys know? Gamecube will no longer be made or available to buy by the end of the year, thx to sources close to the ground. I've heard this too. Here some news as far as the UK is concerned. I don't know about North America.

Article here. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=88472)

DIXONS DITCHES GAMECUBE

The massive UK retail organisation will no longer
stock Nintendo's console when initial supplies run out

16:49 The Dixons group has confirmed it is to stop
stocking Nintendo's GameCube console, after weeks
of mounting speculation. The group, which comprises Dixons, Currys, PC World and Link stores, will no longer have the console at retail once initial supplies are exhausted.

This shock information was revealed in a leaked memo from PC World, which states: "Due to the continued poor sales on GameCube we are beginning to take our first steps to clear out the format."

And a spokesperson for Dixons earlier backed this up, telling us: "We can confirm that Dixons is to stop stocking GameCube hardware."

Dixons currently has GameCube on special offer at the ultra-low price of 99 plus one free game (Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Disney's Magical Mirror, Wave Race or Pikmin), with all GameCube games going for a song at Ј25 each as the group tries to clear out stock. Furthermore, buy
Pikmin, Burnout, Crazy Taxi and a third-party steering wheel and you'll get a free GameCube.Its days are numbered to be sure...
 txa1265
05-08-2003, 6:10 PM
Well ... if they do make JA for the Cube, and Rebel Strike looks as cool as it seems it will ... combine that with the likely Cube price drops and you could end up with a Cube, Rogue Leader, JKII, JA, and RebStrike all for <$250. That might put the Cube as the first console in my house (of course I'll have to buy a Scooby Doo game for the kids ;)

Mike
 The Count
05-08-2003, 6:25 PM
Cube being discontinued? thats outrageous I bought one I can't believe they are going to do that, they are fantastic little machines, I thought they were doing quite well, Oh well no point crying over spilt milk, I only bought it for Rouge Leader initially.
 PrimoSidone
05-09-2003, 9:31 AM
Dont think for the game cube.... xbox and ps2 i think
 leXX
05-09-2003, 10:45 AM
What the sith?

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking I should get a cheap gamecube before their stock runs out!
 Prime
05-09-2003, 12:28 PM
But won't it be annoying when new games come out and you can't get them on the Gamecube?
 leXX
05-09-2003, 1:04 PM
Nah not really, I've still got my xbox and PC. I was just thinking it would be good for the kids to have their own gamecube and a few games, especially if they are cheap.
 txa1265
05-09-2003, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by leXX
Nah not really, I've still got my xbox and PC. I was just thinking it would be good for the kids to have their own gamecube and a few games, especially if they are cheap.

That was what I was thinking. I don't have any consoles ... except GBA. Just Macs and PC's. But I know that the GameCube has the most and best selection of 'Rated E' games I'd want for the kids. And if I can get a few cool games ...

Mike
 PrimoSidone
05-09-2003, 4:39 PM
Prime, i think what is most anoying is that some games who are ment for PS2 or anyother console and PC come first on console..

Like Halo or ViceCity, i think alot of people will agree with that

I cant wait for vicecity :)
 BrodieCadden
05-10-2003, 4:21 AM
Certain UK stores have stopped stocking Gamecube's and sold them at a low price, and they flew out the door: now many are restocking them with a new surge in demand.

The Gamecube is not going anywhere people, do not worry. A new Rogue Leader game was just announced, Rebel Assault. As was an exclusive MGS game and Splinter Cell was just released. The Cube is fine :)
 Prime
05-10-2003, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by PrimoSidone
Prime, i think what is most anoying is that some games who are ment for PS2 or anyother console and PC come first on console.. Very true. This is going to be happening for Knights of the Old Republic :(
 PrimoSidone
05-10-2003, 6:57 PM
Maybe the producers think they will sell more like that.... dont know why they do those stuff
 txa1265
05-11-2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by PrimoSidone
Maybe the producers think they will sell more like that.... dont know why they do those stuff

They know they will sell more. Unfortunately, while we PC gamers are more intense, dedicated and demanding (at least for now), console gamers are much more populous ... especially for games like KOTOR.

They want money from everyone, but resource prioritization is made in several ways. A game like KOTOR was always XBox first, PC second. HL2 and JA are PC first.
 Prime
05-11-2003, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
They know they will sell more. Unfortunately, while we PC gamers are more intense, dedicated and demanding (at least for now), console gamers are much more populous ... especially for games like KOTOR. Whether they come out at the same time or not shouldn't affect the sales for each. People are unlikely to buy it for two platforms.

Originally posted by txa1265
They want money from everyone, but resource prioritization is made in several ways. A game like KOTOR was always XBox first, PC second. HL2 and JA are PC first. I think KOTOR (and large RPG games like Baldur's Gate) are always designed with the PC in mind more than consoles.
 Kurgan
05-15-2003, 6:10 PM
The PC will always be superior, if nothing else in terms of availability of multiplayer options and higher resolutions and most of all... EDITING!

That said, consoles of course have many built in advantages... less troubleshooting required (same hardware), streamlined interface, cheaper system (but more expensive games), etc.

Actually, a console gamepad with analog sticks can be quite acceptable for third person melee action. Where it falls down is in terms of aiming speed for guns, which an optical mouse beats every time. So in theory JA would be more suited to consoles than JO was.

However, it really helps to be able to hotkey all of those force powers and such, and be able to type taunts to your opponents (then again, where was the online support for JK2 on the console? non-existent).

I'd love to see more players, and thus multiplatform releases are a great idea. I hate it when a game is released on only one console platform...

Quake3Arena for the dreamcast is an example of a console port of a PC FPS done RIGHT. They did a fantastic job with the limitations. The graphics were streamlined for the console and lower res, some of the levels played even better than before (and the levels were released for the PC version as well). It was even possible (through "downgrading" your patched PC version and installing the level pack) to play 4 player games WITH dc people online.. what a deal!

Sadly, it seems most FPS games on the console don't recieve this great of treatment, especially PC ports. Oh well...
 Tesla
05-16-2003, 3:07 PM
I was reading this thread and those who say the gamecube is down the pan have you even asked nintendo , it has great games like the exclusive resident evil games,rouge squadron 2 and now rebel strike,jk2,what about metroid prime which i think
personally is better than halo, what about Legend of zelda-the wind waker , super smash bros meele is good to and with the exclusive MGS game and splinter cell just came out so it has to be one of the best consoles around now since it can produce graphics the PS2 can only dream of,and you can only say it is crap if you haven't played it, just some of my personal opinions
 JediBozQ
05-16-2003, 3:44 PM
There should be a GCN version and probably PS2

They only have started on the Xbox/PC first.
Notice that I put a slash on Xbox/PC instead of Xbox and PC? Because the code for the Xbox and PC are almost identical. So that's why they are concentrating on the Xbox/PC release first before they go about doing other consoles.

Its not an exclusive period as far as I'm concerned, so dont worry about it
 txa1265
05-16-2003, 3:55 PM
Originally posted by Tesla Trooper
I was reading this thread and those who say the gamecube is down the pan have you even asked nintendo , it has great games like the exclusive resident evil games,rouge squadron 2 and now rebel strike,jk2,what about metroid prime which i think
personally is better than halo, what about Legend of zelda-the wind waker , super smash bros meele is good to and with the exclusive MGS game and splinter cell just came out so it has to be one of the best consoles around now since it can produce graphics the PS2 can only dream of,and you can only say it is crap if you haven't played it, just some of my personal opinions

I have been reading the E3 stuff, and it seems that the GC is indeed alive - and that Nintendo is working on a next version. It seems that they will accept their 3rd place for this round and work for the future.

My statements were not based on 1st hand data - I've never owned a console - but on market share and game info I've read.

Rebel Strike looks quite cool ...
 Tesla
05-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Just a question, why do you not own a console??

Personally i wouldn't put any of them in a best of three , because they each have there advantages and disadvantages and i have a gamecube, and ps2 and my brother recently got an xbox so for me i enjoy them all. :D
 Sam Fisher
05-17-2003, 10:54 AM
The reason the Cube did not sell was because it was $150.00+!
 txa1265
05-18-2003, 1:12 AM
Originally posted by Tesla Trooper
Just a question, why do you not own a console??

Personally i wouldn't put any of them in a best of three , because they each have there advantages and disadvantages and i have a gamecube, and ps2 and my brother recently got an xbox so for me i enjoy them all. :D

Let's see ...

I'm 37 and money is not an issue (to that extent ... money is always an issue ... ). I also have quite a bit of access to computers. I have a few PC's and a couple of Macs, all recent and quite playable for games of all types. But I also have two small kids - 5 and 6.5 - and they like video games much more like I do than my wife does :) But at their age I'd rather have them doing a decent amount of educational stuff, with the occasional 'Harry Potter' game. So I've kept consoles out.

As for the GC not selling - someone said it had something to do with price. $150 is the cheapest out there by $50, and they have decent games. Just not the right mix to dominate.

Also, as for waning support, check this out - http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-1003661.html?tag=fd_top)

Mike
 Wanderer
05-23-2003, 4:27 AM
I really would like to see it released for the GC!
I bought JO for GC! It's really cool, though I used to play the game on PC nearly all the time.
But playing JO, with two people at one screen has something :D
 Wanderer
05-23-2003, 4:31 AM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
Cube being discontinued? thats outrageous I bought one I can't believe they are going to do that, they are fantastic little machines, I thought they were doing quite well, Oh well no point crying over spilt milk, I only bought it for Rouge Leader initially.
Don't say that! We also own one! Hope there'll be many games released for it in the future!
GameCube has a good Price and brings good quality!
 Rocketman
05-23-2003, 6:27 AM
consoles are no good for fps's. at least for me now because the keyboard/mouse is so vastly superior. i was never able to go back to them once i had started pc gaming. I still have consoles. namely the nintnedo gamecube. i only play games like rogue squadron, smash brothers, zelda: windwaker on it.

a console may be able to do the game, but it will never have the ability to customize and modify the game the way a pc can.
 Wanderer
05-23-2003, 9:43 AM
Yeah well, the old discussion PC via Console!
No, I prefer the PC as well but you know. Only Games I want to play on PC are JO or Unreal II. For the rest I prefer playing the games on GC with my wife. Because it costs too much time which I haven't anymore because of my work.
 Prime
05-23-2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by Wanderer
Only Games I want to play on PC are JO or Unreal II. For the rest I prefer playing the games on GC with my wife. I don't know if you want to play Galalxies, but it looks like you will only be able to play it on PC now.
 Wanderer
05-23-2003, 2:55 PM
Well, you know, I'm Star Wars Fan...if I like the game and it's only available for PC maybe I'll buy it then. Thus far I only know of two new games -> JA and -> Knights of the Republic.
But heard of Galaxies...do you know what it's like?
 Stormtrooper X
05-24-2003, 4:51 AM
If they can do it with JO they can do it with JA.
Page: 1 of 1