Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC ZONE UK Preview

Page: 1 of 1
 The_One
05-01-2003, 6:10 PM
Nothing special, and nothing really new. Pretty much the usual blurb we see all the time and the same screenshots as on the official site.

These are the only things I thought were new:

"The story kicks off just after events in Jedi Knight II - a group is discovered creating havoc throughout the galaxy, your job is to make sure order is restored."

"rumours of a Max Payne-style Bullet-Time Force power"

"running through missions unlocking new types of sabers and multiplayer modes"

I hope that last one isn't true. Having to unlock MP modes could cause a bit of anger among the community...

Oh well, even if it was a bland preview, there is a 10 page Half Life 2 preview, so I'm not complaining :D
 Master_Payne
05-01-2003, 6:24 PM

that would be great!, way better than force speed IMO never meant to replace it anyways

this one is good at the saber thing, but MP modes (unless are holocron and jedi master) is not good at all, FFA, CTF, Duel and Team FFA need to be default.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 6:44 PM
we don't need bullet time cause jedi can predict where the built will go and block it with light sabers. there is no need for it. it'd be stupid.
 StormHammer
05-01-2003, 6:47 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Nothing special, and nothing really new.

That's what I thought...which is why I didn't bother posting about it. ;p

Yes, and I hope it's not true. I think bullet-time is over-rated...and it's now going to be over-used as a game gimmick.

I hope that last one isn't true. Having to unlock MP modes could cause a bit of anger among the community...

I couldn't agree more. I want to be able to play all of the MP modes...not have to go around unlocking them in SP. I'll be playing through SP anyway...but it would still be annoying.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 6:50 PM
Is this game going to come out first in the uk?? cause there seems to be a lot of info there, and none here.
 CanadianSurfer
05-01-2003, 7:02 PM
No, it's just like JK2. I remember the same magazine came out with a JK2 article before we knew. Yet it still came out around the same time.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 7:04 PM
Oh, i guess our magzine ppl are lazy.
 SeanTB123
05-01-2003, 9:25 PM
originally posted by The_One

Um...isn't that what JK2 force speed already is?
 Emon
05-01-2003, 9:42 PM
They lost their credibility with the blurb about a Max Payne style bullet time Force power. JO already has that.
 Prime
05-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by The_One

I hope that last one isn't true. Having to unlock MP modes could cause a bit of anger among the community... I really can't see them doing that. It's not like a console game where MP consists of two players on a split screen. With so many online players, it would mean that those game types would not be played until well after the game is released, if at all. Many people don't play MP, so they would never have access to these types. It just doesn't make much sense.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Emon
They lost their credibility with the blurb about a Max Payne style bullet time Force power. JO already has that.

good point, more or less that is what speed is. everything else goes slower.
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 7:38 AM
kewl bullet time: doding saber attacks :D

Ow yeah i forgot.... do u guys know why Max Payne did not goMP??

Caus maxpayne was a gam that had the bullettime @ his centre.

How will everything be slow when ur in MP?? So it will make u go faster?? than it will be chaotic... we already have force speed....
 StormHammer
05-02-2003, 10:42 AM
I would have preferred JO's SP Force Speed to have been like JK's, to be honest. I didn't like JO's distortion effect for it either. The way they have Force Speed in MP is better, IMHO, and I wouldn't mind seeing that in JA's SP and MP.
 taekwondo joe
05-02-2003, 1:04 PM
mp's force speed is better yes, the only thing about that is sometimes you go to fast and right over a clif,, which really sux if you have the enimy flag, your about to score, and you fall off a cliff because of force speed, not that has ever happened to me before :nutz3: :)
 Toa Tahu
05-02-2003, 1:43 PM
I also prefered JK's force speed because I didn't like the distortion of JO.However,force speed in JOMP was a bit too chaotic,as taekwondo joe said,sometimes you fall right into a cliff because of it.

Anyway,I think bullet time is for deaths,like when you killed a reborn,where they slow down...
 The_One
05-02-2003, 4:42 PM
I've learnt not to read too much into previews. Wait for the final game, then everything will be a surprise :)

Just thought you'd appreciate the info anyway :p
 JaledDur
05-02-2003, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by SeanTB123
Um...isn't that what JK2 force speed already is?

Well closest thing inmy mind for JK2 is force seeing which allows you to dodge sniper fire, and its in slow motion.

I guess the force run in SP counts too, but... ugh.
 Blademaster_109
05-02-2003, 6:37 PM
i ididn't know that. cool
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 8:34 PM
Maybe now u can dodge saber trows or something right?
 Pedro The Hutt
05-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Either that, or now Force Speed is back to the way it was back in the first JK and the "bullet time" thing will become a new force power which simply slows everything down, rather than everything but yourself. (ofcourse, combining those two would mean.... as gamers tend to say "ownage")
 acdcfanbill
05-02-2003, 11:21 PM
note of course that any matrix syled power would be a SP only, since you cant have one client going slower than another in a MP game.
 PrimoSidone
05-03-2003, 8:20 AM
thats the reason why max payne did not go mp for
 Pedro The Hutt
05-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
note of course that any matrix syled power would be a SP only, since you cant have one client going slower than another in a MP game.
I realised as much, but I was referring to SP hehe, mowing down could become slightly too easy with those two combined.
 The_One
05-03-2003, 8:59 PM
Yeah, you could go fast in a slowed down world :p
 Toa Tahu
05-04-2003, 8:22 AM
Bullet time should STRICTLY and only used for dodging and defensive purposes,not for KILLING.

Bad Jedi!:D
 Blademaster_109
05-04-2003, 2:45 PM
There can't be bullet time.

If there is it won't work in multiplayer if one person uses it then what about everyone else or that person would just be behind in time.

Also there is no need a jedi can block bullets and stuff with his light saber.

Last if u need to get some where fast and with out getting hurt u can use mindtrick, or speed.
 taekwondo joe
05-05-2003, 12:35 PM
bullet time is cool, just keep it like JO
 Prime
05-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
Also there is no need a jedi can block bullets and stuff with his light saber. What do you mean? Why not?
 MuRaSaMuNe
05-05-2003, 12:54 PM
I think he means that you don't need the slow motion since the jedi can just block the bullets with his saber and doesn't need to dodge them.
 Prime
05-05-2003, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by MuRaSaMuNe
I think he means that you don't need the slow motion since the jedi can just block the bullets with his saber and doesn't need to dodge them. Ah. Thanks :)
 Agen
05-05-2003, 3:59 PM
I read the jk2 review in pc zone when it came out, they said it may have been better to have been totally like max-payne bullet-time.
So maybe they mean this time it might be completely max payne bullet time. Though i don't know if that is really a good idea....

:)
 txa1265
05-05-2003, 4:27 PM
I hope they don't change Force Speed. When we were waiting for JKII I was hoping for the 'slow-the-world-down' style implementation - and was glad when it arrived. In JKI I felt frenzied and out-of control. JKII MP feels better, but then you don't go as fast. JKII SP I feel in control of my actions and could do many things before others could react - like take out 4 or 5 stormtroopers, for instance.

Mike
 The_One
05-05-2003, 5:44 PM
I think everyone's reading too far into half a sentence ;)
 Prime
05-05-2003, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
JKII SP I feel in control of my actions and could do many things before others could react - like take out 4 or 5 stormtroopers, for instance.

Mike This is exactly why I liked the JO version better. I don't like the idea of a Jedi throwing on Force speed and chopping up a room of people. I view it more as a straight line run sort of thing, not a quickness enhancement.
 txa1265
05-06-2003, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by Prime
This is exactly why I liked the JO version better. I don't like the idea of a Jedi throwing on Force speed and chopping up a room of people. I view it more as a straight line run sort of thing, not a quickness enhancement.

There was a description in the Dark Forces book series - and it was very much like the world around Kyle was slowing down, he could see the blaster bolts coming, and move and take out the stormtroopers with ease. When I saw JKII ... that was exactly what I had visualized.

Mike
 Kurgan
05-15-2003, 6:22 PM
Bah, I LIKED JK1's overall speed and famous "uncontrollable speeds" of Force Speed level 4 (muhahaha!).

They've been trying to put "slow down the world" into Jedi games since Obi-Wan, and it may have something to do with the popularity of the Matrix (still, this idea has been floated in the EU novels before...).

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine. When they referred to unlocking stuff, I'm sure (hope anyway) they were just referring to the console versions (infamous for having "unlocking" of goodies). Otherwise, yes, it would be stupid, and force certain game modes to be very seldom played.

Unless of course they made it so that Siege was the only default mod, and "Lightsaber Duel" was the last one on the list (lol), but I doubt that will happen.
 Emon
05-15-2003, 10:16 PM
The slow motion concept used in The Matrix was not entirely original, they just amplified it and put huge emphasis on it.
Page: 1 of 1