Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JA vs. KOTOR

Page: 1 of 1
 JDKnite188
04-18-2003, 6:12 PM
Jedi Academy is definitely going to be a big game out there, but there is another Star Wars game that could make a rift in the community. Knights of the Old Republic is practically the same game relating to the gameplay of a jedi plus tons more. The RPG has probably developed ten-fold as compared to Jedi Academy just by observation of screenshots. I might speaking in a relative generalization, but the fact is that both are scheduled for release in Fall 2003. Will people be split over both games? Right now it looks like KOTOR has it all.

Someone tell me why people would still go to Jedi Academy for entertainment with KOTOR around. I am confused. :compcry:
 Khier
04-18-2003, 6:24 PM
KOTOR is an RPG, Jedi Academy is not, JA may have a couple of RPG like qualities but it will still be an action game, also KOTOR has a different combat system, where you pull down a menu and select an action (as far as I know), and JA's combat system will..... pretty much be the same as JO, so they're still two totally different beasts, except they're both set in the SW universe
 Doctor Shaft
04-18-2003, 6:43 PM
Precisely. KOTOR is going to be for the RPG minded. The action will not be nearly as break neck, seat of the pants fighting like JA. JA will have fewer jedi tricks persay, but whole butt load of fast-paced tactics, sabers being put away for a massive rocket launcher, etc. Plus, with the upcoming combined force powers, some really neat stuff can happen. Of course, that's all depending on whether Raven doesn't accidentally create some combined powers that once again lead to everyone using the same set up. Here's hoping.

KOTOR will be more slow-paced, immersive fun. I think you control more than one person as well, so you have a more party like atmosphere. Defeinitely a different beast.
 StormHammer
04-18-2003, 7:07 PM
As others have already stated, they are pretty different games. To put it simply, Knights Of The Old Republic is probably closer to the gameplay of Neverwinter Nights (the last game by Bioware), and will allow you to control a party of up to 3 characters. We're talking a proper RPG with full stats, character skills and feats, where you fight enemies by clicking on them and selecting an attack - and whether you hit or not is determined by the underlying rules system. It promises to be an epic quest, with lots of little side quests and mini games, talking to lots of NPCs, and it's a totally different style of play.

JA is going to be more fast-paced action where you are in direct control of your single player character, with no real stats to speak of. The only real RPG elements are being able to customise your character and lightsaber, and the option to pick Dark or Light side of the Force dependent on the Force powers you choose.

Personally, I'll be getting both games. :)
 Master_Payne
04-18-2003, 8:16 PM
I'm going to buy both, I'll play JA SP first, abter beating SP (hopefully it wont take more than a week, JO took me 2 days) on Jedi Knight difficulty(?) assuming(?) there's the same choices, then I'm going to play KOTOR cause I like RPG and weekends play online JA on a FFA server, when people left the server, play KOTOR again, I'm gonna abuse playing my only 1 1/2 free day (friday late and whole saturday) both lates JA MP saturday after lunch time (what I call morning) KOTOR.
I'm saving for both games from now.
 Blademaster_109
04-18-2003, 8:28 PM
i hate kotor so much because it uses real time like final fantasy
 HaruGlory89
04-18-2003, 9:42 PM
i hate kotor so much because it uses real time like final fantasy

Why oh why do truly great games fall heir to scorn and deceit.

I'm getting both. I'm getting JA because I like fast-paced action and cool Jedi moves.
I love RPGs so I'm getting KOTOR.(Also, it promises open-ended gameplay like Morrowind:) ) I've been waiting for KOTOR since it's announcement in earlier 2002.
 Smood
04-18-2003, 9:44 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
Knights of the Old Republic is practically the same game relating to the gameplay [/I]

Ha ha, lol. This is funny considering in KOTOR you dont actually fight anyone.

Yes, that is not a typo, you DO NOT FIGHT PEOPLE. In jediknight I click my mouse to engage my saber, I'am in control of my actions more or less.

In KOTOR, you click different buttons which queue different attacks and WATCH the action taken place. THATS RIGHT! WATCH!!! KOTOR if not a RPG is more of a strategy style game, semi-turn takin even! It is COMPLETELY different then JEDI ACADEMY regarding the only similarity being they are both star wars licenses. And even then, KOTOR is in a different time frame, so there are pretty much 0 similarities. Oh ya! Both games have a blaster! COMMUNITIES SHALL NOW DIVIDE! RUN!

Sorry stormhammer, but I just needed to reemphasize a bit more bluntly.
 The Truthful Liar
04-18-2003, 9:58 PM
If you liked fallout, I can imagine you'll like KotOR.
 Taos
04-18-2003, 10:36 PM
I think we should be happy that they will both be out around the same time.....it really will be a fun fall around here when you throw Galaxies in the mix - this place will be busy! If you like Star Wars games.....the time is now! :D

They are both going to be incredible games, that much to be sure. I'm going to be getting both of them......there's no question about that! :D
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 8:59 AM
Is KOTOR gonna have MP ?? because then you can only compare it to JA or JKII
 StormHammer
04-19-2003, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by SithLord13
Is KOTOR gonna have MP ?? because then you can only compare it to JA or JKII

I believe it's SP only. ;)
 Prime
04-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I believe it's SP only. ;) Correct.
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I believe it's SP only. ;)
Well then I have to say JA will be a much better game, because theres nothing like dueling real people then dueling botz ;)
 GhostLotus
04-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Which also means the ja community will be much tighter as they can actually play with eachother instead of talking how you personally solved a situation.

IMO actually doing the fighting and such yourself is much more entertaining then clicking an action with your mouse....i mean ffs.

(and i like fallout a lot, fallout is not comparable to kotor)
 Deadeye
04-19-2003, 11:03 AM
KOTOR is going to be my first RPG game ever. I am aware that the combat consists of clicking on an enemy and choosing an attack then your character does it. I also know that RPG's consist of lots of conversation w/ NPC's. I've seen movies and screenshots of KOTOR, and its looks fantastic. But will someone please sell me on how this can be fun? I'm not knocking it at all, I've just never played an RPG. I am going to buy KOTOR regarless, but I've never really heard a good explanation of the fun of RPG combat. To be clear, I love epic storylines, and lots of different places to travel to, and also some sort of NPC interaction. My only understanding, is walk your party here, then walk your party there, talk to NPCs, then walk, Uh oh, combat time, click attack, then wait for them to beat on you, then you get another click. -I remember that from my friend playing Dragon Warrior on the NES. Is it still like this, or is it more fun now. Anyway, someone make this sound fun for me ok?

Thanks
 Smood
04-19-2003, 1:17 PM
The fun of this type of combat comes in strategy. Instead of using skill and ability, you will use your mind and knowledge of battle moreso then in an ordinary game.

Neverwinter nights is a great example. I did not like the semi- turn based aspect of it, but spell casting was fun since you had to decide when and what spell to use. Your taking many factors into consideration and then carrying a decision out.

Decision making, and problem solving are the fundamental foundations of RPG combat. BTW when I saw, RPG I do not mean TURN BASED. THAT COMBAT is in a league of its own, and in my opinion is really **** since it lacks any excitement at all. Allowing you to think for as long as you want.
 StormHammer
04-19-2003, 1:56 PM
Might I suggest that you visit the Knights Of The Old Republic Forums (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=321) here at LF, to have a good discussion with everyone else waiting for this game?

You can also visit StarWarsKnights.com (http://www.starwarsknights.com) to get the latest news, and see the latest screenshots from the game. It looks simply awesome.

Imagine...you set foot on the first stages of an epic quest, journeying from system to system and planet to planet to unravel a great mystery and push headlong toward your ultimate destiny. Starting as a Scoundrel, Bounty Hunter or Soldier, you gradually learn the ways of the Force, and must make the decision to fight for the Light, or journey into the Dark side. As you progress, you choose the skills and abilities of those under your control, and use those choices to ensure your characters survive.

Er...does that spice it up a bit? :D
 Prime
04-19-2003, 2:09 PM
I can't wait for either KOTOR or JA. I loved Baldur's Gate II, and having this sort of game in the Star Wars universe should be great. Also, an improved JO should be fantastic as well. I'll be getting both games, since there is almost no overlap in content or gameplay.
 taekwondo joe
04-19-2003, 2:15 PM
i will get both, they both look great, but if it comes down to it, i might depending on mymoney at the time, imight just by JA first play it, thenlater on down the road play KOTOR
 Prime
04-19-2003, 7:55 PM
Originally posted by taekwondo joe
i will get both, they both look great, but if it comes down to it, i might depending on mymoney at the time, imight just by JA first play it, thenlater on down the road play KOTOR That's why being out in the working word and making the phat cash is sweet! I'm sure my fiance won't get too upset if I buy both games :)
 StormHammer
04-19-2003, 8:03 PM
Originally posted by Prime
That's why being out in the working word and making the phat cash is sweet! I'm sure my fiance won't get too upset if I buy both games :)

Wait til you're married. Then your wife becomes a computer widow. :p :D
 taekwondo joe
04-19-2003, 8:28 PM
its called being 15, i cant get a job any were around here till i be 16, but any thing i can find i get, such as yard work and stuff, but after the summer, my money is gonna be depleted, lots of stuff hapening in da summer!!!
 Blademaster_109
04-19-2003, 9:35 PM
i like 1st person better than real time because u get to shoot and run around and kill ppl, and u don't have to level up.
 Prime
04-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by taekwondo joe
its called being 15, i cant get a job any were around here till i be 16, but any thing i can find i get, such as yard work and stuff, but after the summer, my money is gonna be depleted, lots of stuff hapening in da summer!!! Ha, I remember those days all to well. :)
 Iblis Reborn
04-19-2003, 11:33 PM
first i wanna say that im gonna get both games but im pretty sure i will like JA better

ive played only 2 RPG's all the way to the end
the first was legends of murder (if you havent heard about it i dont blame you and if you have then you can start laughing at me now ;) ) and the second was super mario RPG
so yeah you might say that my RPG experiance has been a little bit limited :)
im not saying i dont like RPG's i just dont get into them enough to keep playing them
this one might be diffrent though because of my love for all things SW :D
but i dont think theres any way that im gonna like KOTOR better than JA
could be wrong but i doubt it
ill let you guys know when ive played them both...cant wait!
 JDKnite188
04-20-2003, 4:30 PM
Well, the fact that the combat system is basically null in consideration of interactivity of the player in KOTOR, JA is going to be much more fun. KOTOR is going to be really sweet though. I thought that it would be the "Deus Ex + Star Wars" dream combination. Too bad. Deus Ex 2 is coming and that will be the first of the two RPGs that I will get. I am going to get JK3 first before DX2 and KOTOR though.

Settled. I loved the forums.:cool:
 StormHammer
04-20-2003, 4:48 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
Well, the fact that the combat system is basically null in consideration of interactivity of the player in KOTOR, JA is going to be much more fun.

I wouldn't say null exactly. Playing NWN you do still have to change tactics and choose different attacks during battles - but I can see what you're trying to say. You're not in direct control of every single sweep of the lightsaber, or shot from a blaster, and it's not in 1st person.

I thought that it would be the "Deus Ex + Star Wars" dream combination. Too bad.

I'm still waiting for a game like that too. A first-person Star Wars RPG in the same vein as Deus Ex would be excellent to see. Who knows...they might get around to it eventually. I just hope I'm not using a zimmer frame by then. :p
 HertogJan
04-22-2003, 8:57 AM
I really hope SW:G will have real time saber fights though... AQnd it would be even better if SW:G has singleplayer, so it will be the rpg I want :D

I really thought KOTOR would be the game I allways wanted, but turn based action just isn't my thing - with lightsaberbattles anyways...
 Darth Groovy
04-22-2003, 9:48 AM
I have never played any RPGs. How would I do on a game like KOTOR? Would it be in my interest to buy it?:confused:
 HertogJan
04-22-2003, 10:15 AM
I didn't even know what an RPG was untill I played Jagged Alliance 2... That was some sort of RPG, I liked it :D I liked Deus Ex too, but that was more of a shooter with RPG elements, I hate rpgs like MorroWind. I really wanted to like morrowind, but it was too slow for me. Too bad, I wanted to be a badass sword weilding sorcerer. Perhaps I'm too impacient for RPGs :)

KOTOR appealed to me, developing your character to be a Jedi seems great, but the battles are going to be turn based. First you select a move out of the box (you'll learn more moves during the game) and then you execute it and then your enemy counters your move...

The rest of KOTOR could be real great though, so maybe I'll try it...
 taekwondo joe
04-22-2003, 11:04 AM
yeah i will buy it, just when i save up my money lol, i like rpg's, played deoblo and 2, and exspantion pack, lord of darkness, it was fun
 Prime
04-22-2003, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
I really hope SW:G will have real time saber fights though... AQnd it would be even better if SW:G has singleplayer, so it will be the rpg I want :D I don't think the lightsaber fights are realtime, but maybe someone can confirm that.

The point is probably mute though, since it will be very difficult to become a Jedi in the first place. If you are looking for FPS lightsaber action HertogJan, you'll probably want to skip Galaxies.
 Taos
04-22-2003, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
And it would be even better if SW:G has singleplayer, so it will be the rpg I want :D

I don't think you understand what SWG is...there is no single player...hence the genre of the game MMORPG - massive multiplayer online role playing game.

I really thought KOTOR would be the game I allways wanted, but turn based action just isn't my thing - with lightsaberbattles anyways...

It's not only turn-based, it's a combination of real time/turn-based. Bioware created a special engine for the game and they call it the odyssey.

I really think that KOTOR is what you're looking for.......I know it's what I'm looking for! :D
 Prime
04-22-2003, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by Leemu Taos
.......I know it's what I'm looking for! :D It is what I'm looking for in terms of an RPG. KOTOR should fill that roll well...
 boinga1
04-22-2003, 6:38 PM
Depends on when they are released relative to each other. If KOTOR comes out like 2 months before jA, yeah I'll get it, but if JA comes out at about the same time, I'll gert it, then maybe wait till Christmas for KOTOR.
 Blademaster_109
04-22-2003, 6:52 PM
i hate real time because if i wanted to see a star wars fight i'd see the movie, and if i want to be in the fight i play the game.
 Kurgan
04-22-2003, 7:13 PM
Jedi Academy is a FPS. That means 1st and third person gunplay + lightsaber (1st & 3rd person) + force powers.

KOTOR is a third person jedi simulator RPG, so it lacks many of these "bonus" features in gameplay. In addition, its an RPG, which means that you have to wade through all this "character building" stuff, which pure action fans find very tedius. The action in RPGs tends to be slower paced, and focuses more on story than thrills.

On top of all that JKA uses the Q3 engine, which may editors are more familiar with, and thus the mod community already has a head-start on this game, as it did with Jedi Outcast.

And finally, JKA has both single player AND multiplayer, therefore branching out into realms that KOTOR won't even touch.

Ultimately, despite KOTOR turning out to be a much "deeper" game, JKA has the potential for far more replay value, both in terms of third party mods, and in terms of multiplayer.

Also the genres appeal to different gamers, despite a similar theme. It's a little like comparing Baldur's Gate to Rune Gold.

I'm actually looking forward somewhat to KOTOR, which is more than I can say for SWG (I have a thing against MMORPGs on principle).
 JDKnite188
04-22-2003, 9:24 PM
A lot of people brought up a lot of advantages that JA has. I know at least that JA will be a game I can run easily on my comp. With the Q3 Engine and extras that Raven have included in this game like double sabers and light staff, the mod community could heavily expand. There are already major works in progress for JO that look to be glorious (AkPiggott's Party Crasher map is the closest of them to be released). MP is a major part of a game that keeps a community going and extends the life of a game. FF CTF and Duel were quite popular until the weak saber and spams were brought into it. If Raven makes some revisions, JA could own KOTOR.

KOTOR definitely looks beautiful.
 HertogJan
04-23-2003, 9:32 AM
I know SWG is a MMORPG, but I was hoping they would add some kind of SP experience to it. Now that I think of it, it makes no sense to have KOTOR and SWG if they would :) Still I'd like to be a normal non jedi in a game, and KOTOR doesn't have that...
 Prime
04-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Ultimately, despite KOTOR turning out to be a much "deeper" game, JKA has the potential for far more replay value, both in terms of third party mods, and in terms of multiplayer.This is very true, and one reason that I'll probably end up prefering JA. I love the fact that JA will be so customizable like JO. My JO is now quite different from the original game I bought. To bad all those console suckers are missing out :)
 Lionen
04-26-2003, 4:28 PM
Im going to buy JA (of course), and maybe KOTOR to the Xbox. I like RPGs, the Final Fantasy-series rule!

But SW Galaxies... hmmmm.... If it werent for that monthly fee, id probably buy it. Also theyґll NEVER be able to balance the jedi mortality and the saber combat.
 Prime
04-26-2003, 4:37 PM
Originally posted by Lionen
Im going to buy JA (of course), and maybe KOTOR to the Xbox. I like RPGs, the Final Fantasy-series rule!

But SW Galaxies... hmmmm.... If it werent for that monthly fee, id probably buy it. Also theyґll NEVER be able to balance the jedi mortality and the saber combat. Considering it will be extremely difficult for anyone to become a Jedi in the first place, it probably won't be too big an issue.
 Demolisher
04-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Me, I wanna get both games. I like KoToR because it has more story and more character interaction, but I do like a bit more control over the character. I suck at JKII, so maybe a point and click game like KoToR would be easier. It's a tough choice. It'd be nice if we had demos of both games :D
 Prime
05-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Demolisher
It'd be nice if we had demos of both games :D That would be great, but somehow I suspect that it isn't going to happen...
 Stormtrooper X
05-02-2003, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by Prime
That would be great, but somehow I suspect that it isn't going to happen...

But seriously there should be. I mean one level for each game.

Come on!
www.swgalaxies.net) www.lucasarts.com/products) and www.swkotor.net)

Go to www.swgalaxies.net) www.lucasarts.com/products) and www.swkotor.net) for more info
:confused:
Page: 1 of 1