Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

UK PC Gamer

Page: 1 of 2
 Fylter
04-10-2003, 5:09 PM
I picked up the UK edition of PC Gamer today and it had "Jedi Knight III" emblazed on the cover.

5 pages of infomation and screenies. I'll try to get them scanned and put up on the net tomorrow at work (is that illegal?)
 The Count
04-10-2003, 6:23 PM
No it is not illegal get those screenies up my friend!
 wassup
04-10-2003, 9:11 PM
Sweet! Can't wait for my PCGamer to come :D
 TheJackal
04-11-2003, 12:52 AM
Hum, I DO think it is illegal.

I know during the production of JK2 similar situations occured and we, the management of JK2.net and the whole LFN, have recieved letters from the magazine in question to take those pictures down.

They were given to PC Gamer UK and it is up to that magazine to distribute them. After all, they do lose money if it was shown freely on the internet.

However, posting your own rйsumй or snip it from the article is not illegal.

NOTE: i think i better get the backing from an other moderator/administrator. I'm not an expert in legal affairs.
 Rumor
04-11-2003, 1:05 AM
sorry bd, but its not in this month's pcgamer. i already got mine a week ago

but taking content from a magazine and posting it i think IS illegal. besides the info can be found on the net, so there is no need for you to post them
 Fylter
04-11-2003, 3:56 AM
Fair enough! I'll wait for the go-ahead from the admin.

I dont want to get anyone into trouble.
 Anakin
04-11-2003, 5:04 AM
I would do what they did with the Geman copy of the mag, also just type up quotes from the mag, I spent a day at work typing up the article from PC Gamer when JK2 came out.
 Neko Lain
04-11-2003, 6:40 AM
Originally posted by Fylter
Fair enough! I'll wait for the go-ahead from the admin.

I dont want to get anyone into trouble.

Jesus christ, just post it allready.

If you dont, i'll buy it and do it myself.
 TheJackal
04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
you could post some quotes.

but the whole scan of a page is something to avoid please.
 Hekx
04-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Judging from the PC Gamer site, it seems like there isn't JA in the new issue.

If there is I may get it and crop some screenshots and quote some text. ;)
 Wacky_Baccy
04-11-2003, 2:05 PM
Posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
Judging from the PC Gamer site, it seems like there isn't JA in the new issue.

If there is I may get it and crop some screenshots and quote some text. ;) There are several pages on it, and there's a bit of new onfo in there (but mostly just general stuff - info that fleshes out the picture we have of it so far, basically) - well worth the buy, IMHO :)

*hugs his hi-res screenshots from GameStar which he daren't post*

Most of them are in the PCG mag, so even more reason to buy it :D
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-11-2003, 3:40 PM
Would the American PCG have it too? :confused:
 JaledDur
04-11-2003, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by MuRaSaMuNe
Would the American PCG have it too? :confused:

Not likely.
 wassup
04-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by JaledDur
Not likely.

Nope, got mine today...doesn't even have a mention of it. :mad:

Just a 10+ page preview of GTA III: Vice City...:(
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-12-2003, 1:24 PM
SUnuva....
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:24 PM
I told my mom to get it for me, and it has just the matrix on the front i can't find ja ne where. It should be on the offical web page right. Does ne one know it, or will someone just scan the pics please?
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:28 PM
ne ways as u can tell from my pic to the left they're my favorite?
 wassup
04-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Only the May issue of the UK PCGamer (not US PCGamer) has the preview on JKIII i believe. I have the May US PCGamer and all it has is a preview of Grand Theft Auto III: Vice City. The April (the issue before current one) issure of the US PCGamer is the one with the "Enter the Matrix" preview as the cover story.
 wassup
04-12-2003, 11:31 PM
first and foremost - PLEASE STOP MAKING NEW THREADS!! If you want several questions answered, place them in one thread. Thank you. :)

Also, I believe you will be able to play as a Dark Jedi in JKIII, but not neccessarily a Sith.
 t3rr0r
04-12-2003, 11:32 PM
uh, the sith as a species died out long ago... i assume you mean zabrak, since that's the only specie in your avatar...
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Will it probably come out next issue then? And do u know the offical UK web site for it?
Thanks Wassup
 wassup
04-12-2003, 11:39 PM
I do not know when a JKIII preview willl appear in the US PCGamer. Also, I am not sure, but i believe this link (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/default.asp?subsectionid=154) is the UK PCGamer official site, but they have nothing JKIII related mentioned on that site. :(

btw, Welcome to Lucasforums!! :cheers:
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:44 PM
sorry about the post. i just hate it when ever i'm a new be and my points, and stuff are low. What r points ne ways. That sucks though i love the sith, and i did know about how the died out a long time ago in episode 1. Darth Maul was the last one.
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Hey the uk guy maybe we r a month behind or something what was ur pc gamer 1 month ago.
 wassup
04-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
sorry about the post. i just hate it when ever i'm a new be and my points, and stuff are low. What r points ne ways. That sucks though i love the sith, and i did know about how the died out a long time ago in episode 1. Darth Maul was the last one.

Zabraks are not neccessarily extinct. The Sith were the original name of a shamanistic group of species that worshipped the dark side. When the first rogue Dark Jedi (many thousands of years before Battle of Yavin) found the Sith species, they used their new found dark side powers to gain control of the Sith species. Over time, the Sith and the Dark Jedi intermixed and became one Dark Side order that was known as the Sith. Raven MIGHT include the Zabrak (Darth Maul's species) as a playable race in JKIII SP, but I highly doubt it. Anyways, I believe it is highly possible that you will be able to import custom-made models into SP from MP, much like how you can do it now in JKII, but with much more ease and efficiency.

As for those Lucasforums points (under the # of posts you have), those allow you to buy stuff at the Store (http://www.lucasforums.com/store.php?s=&action=main), like image sigs, glowy names, etc.
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Wow! i had no clue all that happened. how do u figure all this out, its not in ne of the movies. ne ways thanks.
 wassup
04-13-2003, 2:08 AM
Its all Expanded Universe stuff...mostly from comics and such that were published.
 StormHammer
04-13-2003, 9:22 AM
For those who can't get hold of the UK PC Gamer, I'll give a brief summary of what I consider to be new information in the spoiler box below...it's in my own words, so shouldn't breach any copyright...

The game is going to be longer and larger than JO, with more enemies and fewer puzzles. Some simpler puzzle elements will remain, but there's going to be a greater emphasis on combat, particularly with lightsabres. Some of the levels are twice as large as those in JO, and models will be imported from 3D applications, instead of relying on brushes. A map called Final Countdown is simply a huge 3D model. They're replacing some elements of the terrain with other models.

There will be a mix of neutral (Jump and Speed), Dark and Light side Force powers. Picking Dark or Light powers will shift you to one side of the Force or the other. Force powers still have 3 levels of power-up. Force Drain, Absorb and Seeing are now included in SP as well as MP. Using new Force Jump combinations will allow you to make vast leaps. You will also be able to 'stick' to walls and run up them. Because of this greater flexibility of movement, levels are now designed to be largely non-linear, and you can be attacked from any direction. JO included about 40% 'contained' levels (I assume they mean linear or heavily scripted maps), but in JA that's down to about one tenth. Raven took on board problems with the puzzles in JO and now most puzzles in JA are solved within the room they are discovered.

There will be no stealth levels like those in JO. You're only real stealth option is to use Jedi Mind Trick, because they're not designing levels to be stealth-oriented (which is a bit of a shame, in my book).

There are apparently two new weapons (not lightsabers) in addition to JO's arsenal. And this time around you have to pick your weapons load-out prior to each mission - so I assume that means your arsenal will be weight or number limited a bit like SOF. I like this idea.

There will be Shadow Troopers in the game, and they sound smarter. If you Force Grip and drop one of them into a cavern, don't turn your back because they'll probably use their own Force powers to get back up again.

The musical scores should be good.

They've placed even more emphasis on animation, and increased the number of skeletons used. By comparison, they used about 3 skeletons in JO, but in JA there are about 30. The models are also more complex.

On the MP side, they're including SP scripts (whatever that means), and a couple of new game modes.

It looks like cut scenes will be much-improved from JO...something that took 3 days to do in JO now only takes them an hour, due to increased resources and skills. It sounds like they're still talking about in-engine cut-scenes in this context.

That's about all the new info I can see in the article (in my own words). There are a couple of new screenshots too, including a blue and a red-skinned Twi'Lek female. One of the screenshots shows what I think is a Shadow Trooper (like the ones in the screenshots we've already seen), holding two red lightsabers. So it looks like the player isn't the only one with access to all the new lightsabers and combat styles in SP.
 Taos
04-13-2003, 9:28 AM
Stormy thanks so much for that! Great information there! I've been impatiently waiting for some news here.....thanks again! :D
 HertogJan
04-13-2003, 9:49 AM
Hey that's great!! Ohw and if you drop a shadowtrooper in a cliff, don't turn your back on him?? Does that mean he can ledge-grap the ledge and jump up?? :D

Thx 4 the news!!
 Blademaster_109
04-13-2003, 10:41 AM
i can't read it y. it just has this big white rectangle. can u please send it to me at yosafe88@doctor.com please. i'll do ne thing.
 SettingShadow
04-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Actually, Blademaster you can read it. Just highlight it with your mouse ;)
 StormHammer
04-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
i can't read it y. it just has this big white rectangle. can u please send it to me at yosafe88@doctor.com please. i'll do ne thing.

Just click and drag your cursor inside the white box to reveal the text. That's how spoiler boxes work. If the text doesn't show...still click and drag then CTRL C and paste into a text program. That should work. ;)
 HertogJan
04-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Yup... there's a spoiler button when you make a new thread, cool huh!!

I think spoilers are cool :D

BTW, try pressing ctrl+a, it select the entire page, saves you some work ;)
 Krayt Tion
04-13-2003, 12:09 PM
You will die alone!

Larger and longer. In theory: :thumbsup: In reality: :disaprove They still fail to live up to, let alone surpass, the scope and scale of the original JK.

Original Weapons + 2: :disaprove Ug. They should have axed some of their piss poor weapons from JO. I don't care if weapons like the Flechette launcher and the "Portable Missle System" are validated in the EU, their implementation demonstrated how out of touch Raven is with the Star Wars Universe. Primary modes of fire just felt too similar to the UT flak cannon and rocket launcher. So very poor.

More skeletons in JA: :thumbsup: Perhaps we won't have to face an underwhelming number of humanoids this time around. Instead of a step backward from from JK in terms of diversity they can now take two steps foward from JO.
 HertogJan
04-13-2003, 1:27 PM
Yeah I hated the flechette and the missile launcher... The rest was ok, even de EMP gun looked like the one the jawas use...

The rockerlauncher should be changed to the one in JK:DF2 and the flechette left out.

And I want the big blaster that some stormies use in the movies!! It was great :)

Oh yes, the repeater sucks too, I'd rather have another Blastech version or the Imperial Repeater from JK:DF2
 SettingShadow
04-13-2003, 1:41 PM
I too hate the flechette, it doesnt belong in a SW game. I think the rest was pretty good, though, I'm not too crazy in the repeater..

I would also like that long blaster rifle the stormtroopers use (asuming you mean the one they use in ANH in Mos Eisly). I love it :D
 ryudom
04-13-2003, 2:14 PM
its very possible that they heavily modified the flechette (*and others) so its alot differant
 StormHammer
04-13-2003, 2:46 PM
As an addendum to what I wrote up there...just keep in mind that the information contained in the article may not be 100% correct. PC Gamer have been wrong before...I seem to recall they got some details about Jedi Outcast wrong way back when. Besides, if the game's only 60% complete...a lot could still change between now and when it is finalised. They may decide to change the weapon line-up, for example. The article may have meant you get 2 more weapons than JO's arsenal...(and it could be a different arsenal)...though it wasn't worded that way.

Just take it with a pinch of salt.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of the Flechette either. It's always felt too much like a flak canon wannabe to me. I'm not really enamoured of the Heavy Repeater or the Mer-Sonn Missile thingy in JO either, and I wouldn't miss them at all if they didn't appear in JA. It might be nice to see the conc return. Personally, considering that we will be able to choose different alien species, I think they would do better to have pretty much a new line-up of weapons to choose from, including some race-specific types. It certainly won't make sense to me to see a lot of Imperial type hardware return, if the missions are going to be varied and not include so many Imperial entanglements. And let's face it, Imperial entanglements have been done to death, pretty much, in this series of games.

Bring back the Blastech DL-44 (complete with sound) as an alternative choice to the Bryar. And how about picking up a rifle similar to the one you see Luke handle in ANH if you're visiting Tatooine? Along with a proper Jawa gun?

Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait until E3 for more concrete evidence of what the game will contain. Roll on May...
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
04-13-2003, 3:45 PM
less puzzles? :(

puzzles were part of made JK great :( JK2 may have been great had the puzzles ACTUALLY MADE SENSE.
 Luc Solar
04-13-2003, 4:28 PM
Right... IF any of the puzzles had made any sense. :D

I kinda hated the puzzles in JO. "Puzzles solely for the sake of puzzles", that's what it felt like.

Figuring out stuff is cool and all, but going through a huge map inch by inch in order to find some little crate somewhere that can (for some strange reason, unlike any other crate) be blown up and which surprisingly has a secret vent behind that lets you advance and save the galaxy is just..bleah. :(

Less puzzles sounds good to me. :thumbsup:
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
04-13-2003, 4:51 PM
i'm trying to figure out what you meant by your post, the tone is one of disagreement but you confirmed my point...

JK had intelligent puzzles, cargo manipulation to allow you to reach certain ledges is an example. The puzzles make sense because the cargo doesn't appear to be there for the sake of helping you climb up to the ledge.

Puzzles == Good. They give you a break from the action and let you use the brains that so many people claim to have.
 Swat
04-14-2003, 2:35 AM
this is what it should be like
For that mission, you have to rescue these prisoners. You find yourself in the lower level connected to the Rancor pit but you don't know he's there until he comes around the corner. You have to free the prisoners while keeping the Rancor from eating them
constant sense of danger. not puzzles with stormies littered everywhere
 HertogJan
04-14-2003, 6:08 AM
Ohw the puzzles were nice... The one with the three codes in the beginning was very easy. The hardest one was in the garbage facility, where you had to push the eh... carts to get into another area... But I like to search for hidden passages, secret areas etc... I don't mind a little challenge :D But yeah, some puzzles don't make sense, but it could be worse!
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 8:32 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Ohw the puzzles were nice... The one with the three codes in the beginning was very easy.

I liked that one...it was a nice nod to the original Dark Forces game where those code panels featured.

The hardest one was in the garbage facility, where you had to push the eh... carts to get into another area... But I like to search for hidden passages, secret areas etc... I don't mind a little challenge

I actually discounted that route through the garbage masher the first time...my thought at the time was...'They don't seriously expect me to go up there, do they?' So I kept hunting until I realised it was the only way to go. Yes, that was probably the most challenging, I agree.

...some puzzles don't make sense, but it could be worse!

The Rubik's cube...a puzzle for the sake of it, with no real relation to the game at all, IMHO. I think it's this kind of thing they're probably talking about ditching in JA.

I also like path-finding puzzles, and I don't mind having to explore a bit to move on, but I can see where some of the puzzles in JO were a bit too hard for some gamers. I remember well the multitude of threads started by people who got stuck at the first or second hurdle, and the ill feeling that resulted. It makes sense for them to tone down or omit the harder puzzles this time around to improve game flow and keep the multitude of gamers happier.

To be honest, if they're opening up the levels more to give greater freedom, it's probably harder to implement those types of puzzle anyway.

I just hope the levels are radically increased in size and complexity if most of them are going to be self-contained missions. Having played Unreal 2 not so long ago, the multiple locations and relatively short missions in that game were a drawback (in tandem with the loooong load times and poor environmental interactivity). In JA, if they retain (increase) ineractivity with the environment (hopefully by incorporating more opportunities for using the lightsaber to slice through things) and hunting for secret areas, while piling on the pressure in terms of combat and gameplay variety, it could break the mould...
 ryudom
04-14-2003, 10:31 AM
it would be cool you could pick the puzzle hardness like you pick the bag guy hardness heh
 -=ReApEr=-
04-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Well i just got the new pc gamer mag yesterday from tesco's and yes it does have a 7 page feature of jediknight3 in it and a jedi with a double bladed sword backing away from a rancor on the front.

Ill type it up in a minute for you all :)
 toms
04-14-2003, 11:54 AM
well, sounds like a mix of good and bad news.

Picking weapon loadouts sounds cool (glad i suggested it :D )

Dumping stealth is probaly a good thing since they can't be bothered to do it properly.

More non-linear levels is good, dumping puzzles is a shame as it might turn it into even more of a "quake with lightsabers", but then the puzzles in JK2 were terrible and "puzzles for puzzles sake" as people have said.

On the other hand, the puzzles in JK were probably the best that have been in any FPS, they were logical, involved manipulating the environment and usually you could see what you needed to do, it just took some work to figure out how.

I agree with everything that has been said about the weapons, hope they dump the rocket launcher and flechette, turn the EMP into some form of beam, fix the stormie rifle (make it like JK) and add in the blastech, a decent long rifle and the big storme gun.
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 3:35 PM
Originally posted by toms
.... dumping puzzles is a shame as it might turn it into even more of a "quake with lightsabers", but then the puzzles in JK2 were terrible and "puzzles for puzzles sake" as people have said.

Whoa...who mentioned 'dumping puzzles'? In the article it says there will be fewer puzzles...not a complete lack of puzzles. :eek:

As I said before, I think they're trying to address the issue of the larger environmental or 'brain-killer' puzzles from JO, where you had to backtrack across a level in some instances to solve a puzzle in it's entirety. This confused many players when the game was released, so that strategy makes sense. If they tone down the 'brain-killer' puzzles, and make them all more logical and in-context, they would potetially be easier to solve. However, as you say, the game would be a lot poorer if there were practically no puzzles. I'm sure they'll work hard to find the right balance, because they seem to have taken on board a lot of the feedback from JO's SP.
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 4:33 PM
thank u for willing to type it up
Page: 1 of 2