Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: U.S.S Enterprise

Page: 1 of 1
 Business_Eskimo
04-06-2003, 4:09 PM
U.S.S Enterprise (Star Trek) ;)

Many people have asked for this map, and I am going to try to do the best I can on it. I have the screenshots that I have taken so far here:

www.geocities.com/jk2maps/shot0045.jpg)
www.geocities.com/jk2maps/shot0044.jpg)

Any comments would be unwelcome, thanks.

Dont post here plz
 Business_Eskimo
04-06-2003, 4:42 PM
you have to copy and paste the links, geocities is gay
 wedge2211
04-06-2003, 8:20 PM
Is that supposed to be the bridge?
 Business_Eskimo
04-06-2003, 11:30 PM
yeah. does it look that bad? :( I haven't done a lot of the textures on the chairs and such, but I think it resembles it...

(lol)
 lassev
04-07-2003, 2:04 AM
A couple of things: you should make it more crowded, that is, put more stuff in, or make the room smaller. Space crafts don't have too much extra space. And use a lot more curves. To be honest, I don't think that your bridge is yet 50% finished.
 Eldritch
04-07-2003, 9:20 AM
Originally posted by lassev
A couple of things: you should make it more crowded, that is, put more stuff in, or make the room smaller. Space crafts don't have too much extra space. And use a lot more curves. To be honest, I don't think that your bridge is yet 50% finished.
I agree. I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I've seen the bridge in one or two of their movies and I don't remember any corners. I think that whole room is curved and round-like, not square.
 Smood
04-07-2003, 4:37 PM
You definately need to tighten up that bridge. I'm an avid star trek fan and can tell you that your work definately has potential. Tighten up the bridge, and raise the back control station (bench like area) up, and integrate it into a long curve that wraps around the captain's chair.

(snipped)
(see below)
 Leslie Judge
04-07-2003, 6:31 PM
Smood: thanks for sharing your opinion.

Now take your time and have a look on the job Eldritch did with the Hogwarts map. Do you like HP or not that map is a very good one. So please... this is a mapping forum, make comments on maps only. Mostly. :D

(Why do you Aru have to change your name time to time? I was close to get to know it... :D)
 wedge2211
04-07-2003, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by Smood
(Snipped inappropriate content)

THat was totally inappropriate. I have heard some people say the same things about Star Wars. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Do not degrade them (or homosexuals, for that matter).

*Does little voodoo dance to call in the Gods of Forum Moderation*
 Toonces
04-07-2003, 7:21 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
*Does little voodoo dance to call in the Gods of Forum Moderation*

Your voodoo must be good ;)

Take your personal "beefs" to PM's
 Eldritch
04-07-2003, 7:24 PM
Harry potter is homosexual. Terrible book, movie, iam disguested with the fact that it is compared to LOTR in its fantasy quality. HARRY POTTER IS PATHETIC! I'd rather watch the mysterious wizard adventures of barney. Wands are for little girls that.. ok fine so they have the right intrument for potter but still...
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion... but what's curious to me is that you've read the terrible book(s?) and watched the terrible movie. Very strange for someone who obviously does not like Harry Potter.
And if you haven't read the books, or watched the movie... you have no idea what you're talking about, and your opinion is uneducated and discriminitory. Either way, I've reported the post.

Sorry Leslie, but this will be the last name change. So just remember this one.

And like Leslie said - try and keep the comments in here mapping related.
 Toonces
04-07-2003, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by Eldritch

hehe, I'm having trouble keeping up as well ;)
 Business_Eskimo
04-07-2003, 8:01 PM
All right. Thanks for your input (except for the bit on Harry Potter, lol) I will be sure to make it tighten it up and add some curves. The reason why i haven't had too many curves are

1. I'm really bad at curves

and

2. Framerate

but, I guess I'll just try my best at 'em.
 Eldritch
04-07-2003, 8:53 PM
Originally posted by Business_Eskimo
All right. Thanks for your input (except for the bit on Harry Potter, lol) I will be sure to make it tighten it up and add some curves. The reason why i haven't had too many curves are

and

2. Framerate

but, I guess I'll just try my best at 'em.
:eyeraise: Curves really aren't much of a strain on framerate... the way you've designed your map is much more important. A well built map will have good framerate, even if it uses curves almost exclusively (look at Wedge's Tal Erulanei map if you want proof). Just give it your best shot.
Originally posted by Toonces
hehe, I'm having trouble keeping up as well ;)
Bah, this is the permanent one. :D
 .:Solusar:.
04-08-2003, 3:03 AM
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion... but what's curious to me is that you've read the terrible book(s?) and watched the terrible movie. Very strange for someone who obviously does not like Harry Potter.
And if you haven't read the books, or watched the movie... you have no idea what you're talking about, and your opinion is uneducated and discriminitory. Either way, I've reported the post.

And like Leslie said - try and keep the comments in here mapping related.

I like your new name, it has some sort of edgy feeling to it. and i like your new attachment for the post , I think thats what it is, anyway thanks for helping me out. I really appreciated it.:D
 lassev
04-08-2003, 9:20 AM

The more you use them, the better you'll be, trust me. If you don't use them, you'll never learn, and the looser is your map, unfortunately. And they ain't hard to use, either.

Bah, this is the permanent one.

Until the next change, you mean.
 Eldritch
04-08-2003, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by lassev
The more you use them, the better you'll be, trust me. If you don't use them, you'll never learn, and the looser is your map, unfortunately. And they ain't hard to use, either.
He's absolutely right on this point.
Until the next change, you mean.
But ignore this point. :p
 Business_Eskimo
04-08-2003, 7:18 PM
:eyeraise: Curves really aren't much of a strain on framerate...

with THAT in mind, I'm going to add a heck of a lot more curves into my map....

Hey, it's looking better already... :mult1: :giggle1:
 Business_Eskimo
04-08-2003, 7:26 PM
Oh, a quick question. Does anyone have a clue where I would send an email requesting if I can use some of the textures from Voyager: Elite Force. (Or whatever the Star Trek game is called based on the quake engine :P) Some of those textures would be absolutely PERFECT in my map.
 wedge2211
04-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Raven made EF, too. ask them.
 Smood
04-09-2003, 8:06 PM
Originally posted by Business_Eskimo
Oh, a quick question. Does anyone have a clue where I would send an email requesting if I can use some of the textures from Voyager: Elite Force. (Or whatever the Star Trek game is called based on the quake engine :P) Some of those textures would be absolutely PERFECT in my map.

Just use it don't worry man :).

Secondly, about HARRY POTTER. ROFLOL.

I have read the book (mistake), and the movie (bigger mistake), when I read the book I didn't know what it was so I read it. After I was done I spit on it. (NOTHING INAPPROPRIATE SO FAR TOONCES). Then I said, ok lets see what they do with the movie, that was a mistake, and I often refer to myself as... whoops thats too far.. anyhow movie was terrible.

HARRY POTTER = .... ha ha toonces, nothing bad. Relax btw. I need to get back to work at jk2! :)

I remember when I was on the team and TOONCES just came on. :)
 wedge2211
04-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Okay, enough thread hijacking.
 Business_Eskimo
04-10-2003, 7:52 PM
Just use it don't worry man :).
(DELETED HARRY POTTER ARGUMENT) ;)

Well, I would PREFER the stuff in my map to be at least mostly legal...

But then again, no one would probably care. I mean, look at all the maps that have stuff that they didn't get the owners permission from. Like the Jedi Council map with the ep. 2 soundtrack.
 Business_Eskimo
04-10-2003, 7:57 PM
I just sent an email to Raven asking for permission for the textures. I hope they let me use them.... :(
 Business_Eskimo
04-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Ok, i almost have the curvey thing behind the captain's chair done. It just needs to be smoothed out a bit more. I'll have new screenshots up soon.
 Tigris
04-12-2003, 6:35 AM
Otherwise just hit the Ravenforums and ask nicely... You'll be amazed how many of their dev's hang around in their forums ;)
 Shotokan
04-12-2003, 4:59 PM
check out other peoples maps an check to see how curves were applied. you can get ur inspiration from them! das wat i do!
 sematriclen
04-13-2003, 2:13 AM
well i wish the best of luck with it.do you reckon you can have teleporters like in the real 1 or the engine room and stuff?
 Business_Eskimo
04-14-2003, 4:19 PM
Sorry, guys, I haven't made an update in a while. I have the tactical panel done. Mainly, I have just gotten sick of trying to make it look perfect and put it off untill I feel like working on it again (indefinitely ;)). I plan on retexturing the floor to blue and red carpet.

These are the photos I am using for reference on the bridge:
http://prometheus.org.yu/photon/img/st/images/enterier/enterprise-d-bridge.jpg)
Picture 1

http://prometheus.org.yu/photon/img/st/images/enterier/galaxy_bridge.jpg)
Picture 2

Hmm, in the first picture the door on the far left is marked "Restroom"... I'm not totally sure if I'm going to add that.
 Business_Eskimo
04-14-2003, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by sematriclen
well i wish the best of luck with it.do you reckon you can have teleporters like in the real 1 or the engine room and stuff?

I'm going to give it a shot, teleporters aren't very hard at all to do.

Edit: I got a reply from a dev on Raven's messageboard. They say that I CAN use the textures from Elite Force, because it is also a Raven game. :D :D :D If you want, you can see the thread here. (http://ravenforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=10273#10273)
 sematriclen
04-15-2003, 8:25 AM
thats good news and will u have like a shader that looks like u are going through hyperspace???????
 Business_Eskimo
04-15-2003, 1:49 PM
thats good news and will u have like a shader that looks like u are going through hyperspace???????
I wasn't planning on making one, I thought I would just use the stars skybox. But donations are welcome *hint hint* ;)
 Business_Eskimo
04-15-2003, 6:16 PM
All right. Here are some screenshots.

www.geocities.com/jk2maps/sr3.jpg)
www.geocities.com/jk2maps/sr4.jpg)

What's left on my to-do list for the Bridge:

1. Tone down the carpet on the floor a bit.
2. Re-do the lighting
3. Add a domed ceiling with a hole in the center.
4. More curves
5. Change a few of the textures.
 Business_Eskimo
04-15-2003, 6:20 PM
ugh. those screenshots look horrible. It doesnt look as chunky in-game, somehow
 X-Wing Pilot 5
08-03-2003, 5:18 PM
Here's a diagram] (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-d-bridge.jpg) of the Enterprise-D brideg that might help you.

Mre photos (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges2.htm) of starship bridges.

I got these from this site (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/), which is a pretty good Trek site.

If you could get a ST:TNG technical manual (or at least some 2-D schematic diagrams of the bridge and other rooms), that would help a lot.

God bless,

X-Wing Pilot 5
 Kengo
08-03-2003, 7:34 PM
Man...if you'd checked the date of the last post before yours in this thread it was 15 April 2003. Thats why you had to scroll through pages of this forum to find it. I could be wrong, the map may still be being worked on, but the odds are that was about as useful as sending a letter to Italy to tell Leonardo Da Vinci he made some errors with his Helicopter designs...
 Eldritch
08-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Good call, Kengo.

You're about 4 months too late, X-Wing Pilot 5.

(What is it with these new folk that makes them post in long dead threads?) :eyeraise:
Page: 1 of 1