Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

An idea for styles

Page: 1 of 1
 UDM
03-31-2003, 12:29 AM
Just another suggestion for styles. I think changing/modifying the stances can result in plenty of whining from the community eg "I used to 0wn with red! Now it's poo!"

Perhaps R3 could do away with all the styles, leaving only one (a modified yellow, but it does not show in the stance menu). Since the purpose of Masters of the Force is to make the game more movie-like, spinning may not be that important. I dunno how you guys want it, but I think that maybe we can have a slower spinning attack, instead of that random blue spinning attack. So, if I pressed strafe left + forward + attack, I will swing diagonally to the right. Then if I swing for the second time, I will spin and attack diagonally to the right again. This time, the spin is slightly slower, so you don't get spin spammers.

Then as for the fighting part, it'd be cool to have this counter near the player's HUD. It shows where the enemy is attacking. So if the enemy strikes you down diagonally right, the counter will show you the opposite direction of the attack (diagonally bottom left). This gives the player an idea of how to counter. Mix this in with razor's plan on the defense and I think it'd rock big time :fett:
 razorace
03-31-2003, 1:44 AM
Yeah, spins are going to be harder to do in the future.

As for a counter HUD thingy, that would be very hard to do. There's no such thing as saber attack prediction at this point.
 UDM
03-31-2003, 11:36 PM
I was just toying around with singleplayer just now, spawning Kyles and other jedis. I noticed Kyle was rather...quick. When you struck him on the head, he would raise his saber, regardless of whether you did hit him. I think the game has some sort of saber detection code in the singleplayer aspect. Maybe it would work for MP...? Just a thought :)

Oh man I get excited just at the thought of fighting others in only one stance. Will it be this way, or will it make use of a stance system too?
 razorace
04-01-2003, 12:05 AM
Well, ideally the animations will be based on the styles seen in the movies.

As for the so called "saber detection code" it's probably just basing the block animation on the impact point of the attack. I'll be doing that for MotF except the attack has to be relatively close to the saber or won't block.
 UDM
04-01-2003, 1:41 AM
Yeah that's what I was thinking of. So when A swings a low blow at B, B will defend it with the most suitable saber position, instead of the non-moving saber, random-blocking in JK2?

Btw I don't really understand the styles part. Will there be more stances? Or all stances will be removed?
 razorace
04-01-2003, 1:57 AM
"Styles" are basically what we consider "stances" now. However, the styles only really differ in move composition instead of the massive stat differences of the current stances. For example, possible styles are "two handed heavy", "two handed light", "one handed heavy", etc. Again, the speeds and damage levels of the different styles will be roughly the same so your style choice will depend on which you perfer instead of what stance is the "best".
 UDM
04-01-2003, 2:01 AM
So the styles perform different moves but similar damage and speed? Which means all the styles will have the same number of moves, just that they're executed in a slightly different way? Will they be like the stances in the normal JK2, whereby we have to select them first before attacking?

Btw razor do you go on gamespy?
 razorace
04-01-2003, 2:09 AM
Yeah, basically. It's mainly so you can fight like the various people in the movies (who have personalized styles).

And, no, I don't go on gamespy. I don't play online much. I normally only have a dial up so I only really play against bots.

However, you CAN come onto IRC and talk to me directly instead of 50 zillion forum posts. :) Plus, we the MotF Team design better as a group than thru suggestion posting. See the IRC channel posting for details.
 UDM
04-12-2003, 6:57 AM
Mmm I can't believe I missed this thread for ages

Last question about styles (pesky ain't I :D): will they be more of a recreation from the Star Wars movies? Or just out of your imagination?
 razorace
04-12-2003, 3:48 PM
Recreation of the Movies! Duh!
 Gidgiddoni
04-13-2003, 4:16 PM
What caught my eye about MotF is that it made the saber styles do the same amount of damage regardless of how fast you swing the saber. This is good. All saber styles should do the same amount of damage and IMO be about the same speed so as to balance gameplay. They should just be different physical styles, left to the players preference. As in... would I like to use a powerful up-down centered style, or use a lot of horizontal spins, or hold my saber backwards "Highlander"-style., etc etc. A hit that goes through a vital body part will kill regardless of how fast it was dealt. They should be for purely player preference

As for limiting the styles... I think this is a bad idea. For example, we had never seen anyone use an acrobatic dual-ended saber in a Star Wars movie before Darth Maul. There are countless different saber styles, nearly every jedi has his own. So for balance sake, I think there should be a server side option to allow people to use their own custom saber styles or not (this way they can stop people from using styles that are outrageously fast)

The only other real additions I'd like to see to MotF are

model and saber scaling (like in JediMod) so I can use my yoda model at a descent size
numerous taunts (like JediMod)
Tchouky's (spelling?) RGB saber colors
custom saber hilt selection (like Jedi Mod)

So in other words, I'd like to see a happy union of the two codes with the addition of custom saber styles :amidala:
 razorace
04-13-2003, 6:41 PM
Page: 1 of 1