Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Release 2 Comments

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
03-16-2003, 4:43 AM
Ok, this is the official Release 2 comments thread. Fire away!

Release 2 can be found at your local JK2 file site or at http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/MotFR2.zip)
 DarkLord60
03-17-2003, 8:40 AM
Very cool but I just dont think that all bots and players should be able to dodge other wize I would keep the mod. Maybe if you could make that a force power that jedi and sith use. Insted of stormies and other none jedi and sith. See what I mean unless your going for a matrix mod.
 razorace
03-17-2003, 12:46 PM
I understand the comment but all the players have to have some level of dodge ability to offset the fact that the weapons are very lethal. Any one of the weapons are now fully lethal in one shot.

Yes, the current dodge implimentation is unrealistic but it's a gameplay compromise to the fact that dieing 50 zillion times isn't fun and because you can't duck and dodge as well as you could in real life while playing paintball or something.

Eventually all the players will have different amounts of dodge based on what sort of player they are. For example, a true stormie (very low level soldier sort of character) would only have enough Dodge to absorb a indirect hit.
 Nemios
03-21-2003, 3:25 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
I just dont think that all bots and players should be able to dodge other wize I would keep the mod. Maybe if you could make that a force power that jedi and sith use. Insted of stormies and other none jedi and sith.

Well, if I'm right you can dodge only if you have force mana left. So the real problem is: how can we set the force pool level for each bot? (stormies should not use force powers either) That's a feature I really desire. (Maybe something like trueview.cfg)

Now some improvements (cool MOD!):
1. A new position for the dodge meter or a HUD for it (not so important for now, only for a better visual effect). Different solution: don't use a different "pool" to dodge, take directly from force pool like when you jump, that drains force even if you are playing without force powers. This could fix another problem: when you are low in dodge points AND in mana points you are forced to wait the refill of the dodge pool to use any force power because the recharge capability of the force is absorbed by the drain pool. With a sole "pool" you can "decide" if you want to save points fore possible dodges or if you want to spend them for a force power without the possibility to dodge.
2. Secondary mode for blaster rifle: it's ok it is slower but should have a different function like other weapons. Maybe a charged shot like the pistol? Or a stun shot that doesn't hurt but makes you fall like when someone push you (seen in the movies, when they shoot leia - actually that was a different weapon but, hey...)
3. Make a sound when you dodge (like when you hop to jump): this is useful when you are in first person 'cause while you fight you can't really see if you dodged (=better be careful for the next strike) unless you look the dodge meter, which could be distracting in the heat of the combat
4. Roll in 1st person using weapons other than the saber
5. When you fall after a saber clash or a force push you should not be able to dodge. Every time I win a saber clash I can't hit my opponent on the ground!

That's all for now. I like this MOD very much and TrueView is exactly what I mean for a real FPS (Maybe only Virtual Reality is better). The dodge system is a plus: now players use the force with much more attention 'cause if they finish their mana pool they can't dodge anymore.

[edit=many comments added]
 razorace
03-21-2003, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by Nemios
[B]Well, if I'm right you can dodge only if you have force mana left. So the real problem is: how can we set the force pool level for each bot? (stormies should not use force powers either) That's a feature I really desire. (Maybe something like trueview.cfg)not yet. The Force Meter will be converted to a fatique meter eventually.
Now some improvements (cool MOD!):
1. A new position for the dodge meter or a HUD for it (not so important for now, only for a better visual effect). Different solution: don't use a different "pool" to dodge, take directly from force pool like when you jump, that drains force even if you are playing without force powers. This could fix another problem: when you are low in dodge points AND in mana points you are forced to wait the refill of the dodge pool to use any force power because the recharge capability of the force is absorbed by the drain pool. With a sole "pool" you can "decide" if you want to save points fore possible dodges or if you want to spend them for a force power without the possibility to dodge.
There's a reason for seperate pools. They are seperate so you can kill someone without fully depleting their Fatigue/Force Meter (which will be harder to do in the future). The positions and styles will change once me and the team get around to changing the HUD system.2. Secondary mode for blaster rifle: maybe. We're still working on it. The problem is that you gotta make the stun setting weaker than primary otherwise everyone would probably use it all the time.3. Make a sound when you dodge (like when you hop to jump): this is useful when you are in first person 'cause while you fight you can't really see if you dodged (=better be careful for the next strike) unless you look the dodge meter, which could be distracting in the heat of the combat.I agree. We'll probably add a sound and visual flash color to Dodge v2.4. Roll in 1st person using weapons other than the saberWe will eventually. :)5. When you fall after a saber clash or a force push you should not be able to dodge. Every time I win a saber clash I can't hit my opponent on the ground!hmmm. I thought I had fixed that. Please explain the problem farther.That's all for now. I like this MOD very much and TrueView is exactly what I mean for a real FPS (Maybe only Virtual Reality is better).Thanks. :)
 reaper1576
03-24-2003, 9:45 PM
its a nice mod with a lot of potental makes the game more intresting one thing i do get is a lot of goul errors apart from that its a nice mod
 razorace
03-24-2003, 9:54 PM
Bah! I noticed that after the release. It's sometimes not passing the hitzone information like it should. That's what we get for not having enough testers. :P
 reaper1576
03-25-2003, 5:59 AM
How could this be used with other mods as well as im quite intrested in that side as im looking for a mod that will make the saber play in JO more realistic for use in the DF2E TC
 Nemios
03-25-2003, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by razorace
maybe. We're still working on it. The problem is that you gotta make the stun setting weaker than primary otherwise everyone would probably use it all the time.

I mean null or little damage to the victim, but it falls on the ground (if not dodged). Maybe you'd have to charge the shot to make it fall.

hmmm. I thought I had fixed that. Please explain the problem farther.

Well, not much to say. Duel game, my opponent and I have a saber lock, I win and he falls on the ground. While on the ground I attack him but the saber go thruogh him with no harm. I suppose he has dodged the hit (but no animation). This occurs all the times I have a saber lock.
 SettingShadow
03-25-2003, 10:33 AM
maybe. We're still working on it. The problem is that you gotta make the stun setting weaker than primary otherwise everyone would probably use it all the time.

Maybe make it so it has to recharge before you can use Stun again. Make it draw a bunch of ammo. Just an idea (ok two :p)
 razorace
03-25-2003, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by reaper1576
How could this be used with other mods as well as im quite intrested in that side as im looking for a mod that will make the saber play in JO more realistic for use in the DF2E TC

Well, uh, what feature are you talking about? I'm currently working on saber system improvements as we speak but I'm not sure the team is willing to share source with anyone.

Once that source code cat is out of the bag, everyone is going to copy our stuff and take all the glory. If people were civilized it wouldn't be a problem but people aren't civilized about this stuff. :(
 razorace
03-25-2003, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by Nemios
Well, not much to say. Duel game, my opponent and I have a saber lock, I win and he falls on the ground. While on the ground I attack him but the saber go thruogh him with no harm. I suppose he has dodged the hit (but no animation). This occurs all the times I have a saber lock. Were you playing online? Lag can cause problems like that... The saber code in R2 is a little messed up. I didn't realize that you can only do one attack trace with the saber without hitting your own saber entity. It shouldn't be a problem except for some wasted CPU time server side. I will continue to work on it. :)
 razorace
03-25-2003, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by Squater
Maybe make it so it has to recharge before you can use Stun again. Make it draw a bunch of ammo. Just an idea (ok two :p) The problem with a stun setting is that it's obviously weaker than primary otherwise everyone would use it all the time in the movies. So, we'd have to come up with an effect that's useful but not unbalancing at the same time. Maybe stun has a slow fire rate and it depletes Fatigue?
 reaper1576
03-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Well, uh, what feature are you talking about? I'm currently working on saber system improvements as we speak but I'm not sure the team is willing to share source with anyone.

Once that source code cat is out of the bag, everyone is going to copy our stuff and take all the glory. If people were civilized it wouldn't be a problem but people aren't civilized about this stuff. :(

I was more intrested in the force dodge and the saber system for use as part of the DF2E TC i know how you feel about code and stuff had some code potchers and glory hunter join my team but if there is any chance we would give you full credit
 razorace
03-25-2003, 10:49 PM
I could see something like "DF2E TC: Now with MotF Sabering Action!" but I'd have to clear it with both teams and keep the system under strict code control. Basically, let us finish the damn thing first. :D
 Nemios
03-26-2003, 4:38 AM
Were you playing online? Lag can cause problems like that... The saber code in R2 is a little messed up. I didn't realize that you can only do one attack trace with the saber without hitting your own saber entity. It shouldn't be a problem except for some wasted CPU time server side. I will continue to work on it. :)

No, I rarely play online. I was playing with bots. Good luck for it.
 reaper1576
03-26-2003, 5:53 AM
I could see something like "DF2E TC: Now with MotF Sabering Action!" but I'd have to clear it with both teams and keep the system under strict code control. Basically, let us finish the damn thing first. :D

Hey man thats cool just keep up the good work ;)
Page: 1 of 1